SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_293521746

I'm a new planter, and a lot of my plants just look sad! Any advice?

lily
last year

Hi! Here are some photos of my saddest plants. I've only killed 5 plants out of the 50 that I have, but a lot of them are just barely making it by, and they look so miserable. I can't tell what light, water, humidity, etc. issues they may have, it's just so hard to tell when they all look similar but have a manageable schedule. I've researched a lot, and I rarely overwater. I try to give them proper light as well as a good soil mix. I have no fertilizer or worm castings (or anything really that could give them nutrients), so maybe that could be part of it. I'll give some info on these ones below, just in case something could be pinpointed.

1. My alocasia I recently bought overwatered. I repotted it and have been working to aerate the soil daily (but carefully to avoid the roots) with a stick. It looks alright for the most part, but it's slowly been getting more yellow every day since I got it. It's on a wall opposite a south window.

2. This is my lilyturf I bought maybe two or three months ago, I try to give it only as much water as it needs, but it's brown and sorta wilty. It's also opposite of a south window.

3. Here is a small panda plant that has tons of white splotches. It's continued growing, but I can't tell if it's a disease or not? It hasn't spread to any other plants despite being near a few. It's just below a south window. My peperomia next to it is also just a bit frail and weak, a lot of its leaves are just tiny.

4. My shriveling string of bananas has been growing very fast, but it just stays pretty shriveled. I've tried giving it water whenever it shrivels more, which seems to help but it doesn't make it go away. Lots of the bananas still shrink and fall off eventually. This one is also under a south window.

5. My monstera's soil rarely dries out despite using practically a whole bag of perlite in the mix. It got some kind of disease a few months ago and lost all but three leaves. Now it's struggling badly and is very wilty, and it has not produced a single leaf since its problem. It doesn't have root rot, even though that's what I thought it could be at first. It's by a west window.

6. I've had this little aloe for maybe a little less than a year, and it used to be very happy and full. Its lower leaves all turned yellow and fell off, but all the rest of its leaves are weak and small. It rarely grows new leaves. It's maybe two feet away from a west window, so it may just need more light.

7. Here's a previously dehydrated golden pothos. I hadn't watered it for too long and when I finally did, its upper leaves perked up. It may just need to get rid of the lower leaves since the rest of the plant looks healthy. It was opposite of a south window, but I've moved it a bit closer because I've been told its lack of variegation was because its conditions were too dark.

8. I've had this orchid a little less than a year and for the most part it's alright, but it's very wilty. It's opposite of a south window, and I water it lightly about once a week when it dries out.

9. This is my red twist peperomia, which I've had for around a year. It's been doing great until maybe a month or two ago, and it suddenly curled up badly, lost many leaves and lost color. I think it was dry for too long, but I can't quite tell. I'm just not sure how to get it perked up again.

Thank you so much if you have any advice or tips for me! Anything at all would help, a lot of them are just not doing great. They're alive, but not a single one is thriving. I'm pretty new to this, and very confused as to what I could be doing wrong. My only guess right now is humidity and nutrients. Thank you!!

Comments (16)