SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zonefive

Fatshedera 'Angyo Star' growth habit

Zone 7b
last year

I planted a small (3/5 inch pot) Fatshedera 'Angy Star' this past spring on the shady trellising under my deck. It grew and grew straight up to about 6 feet with out branching. I guess I should have headed it back close to the ground to promote branching. At this point what should I do to coax it to branch out to cover more of the trellising? Will it normally branch on its own, or is heading back required?

Also is this plant difficult to propagate via cuttings, which I'll have available if I remove the top.

Comments (4)

• Embothrium
    last year
    last modified: last year

For multiple different discussions try a web search for "pruning training fatshedera"

• Zone 7b
    Original Author
    last year

I'm not sure what the point of a forum is if questions are answered with "try a web search".

You've been most helpful. I'll look elsewhere for the answer.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last year

Pruning back will encourage bushier growth and the prunings can be used as cuttings started in either water or a damp cutting medium. It will root rapidly, like its ivy parent does.

If planted outside, for best success, you will want to wait until new growth begins to emerge in spring before you try this.

Zone 7b thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • Embothrium
    last year
    last modified: last year

You've been most helpful

You're welcome. I took the time to try that search phrase on your behalf before posting in order to confirm that it would yield pages of on target commentary in an instant.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor