SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pieter_k

@hosta_maker Doug: Polyploid pods

Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
last year
last modified: last year

Hey Doug,You mentioned in an earlier response to one of my posts that fatter pods likely are polyploid. On one of my 'Empress Wu' divisions I have pods on several scapes which are from the first flowers and they might very well have been pollinated by the bees that were visiting a polyploid -'Revolution'- that was near and in full bloom at the time. Picture below shows what I mean:As you can see, the oldest pod is shorter and fatter than the rest. How good are the odds of that being a polyploid pod?

Pieter

Comments (3)

• hosta_maker
    last year
    last modified: last year

Hi pieter

the mothers ploidy should be true and consistent for all aspects of the plant, flower, pod, leaf size etc. you may see slight variation in pods on the same plant, those seem to be more environmental effects or incomplete fertilization

there is a chance the op seed could result in a ploidy seedling. those traits wouldnt show until you grow the seed to find out. the fact that the length of the style is much longer than the anthers gives it a better chance of a cross than selfing.

Pieter zone 7/8 B.C. thanked hosta_maker
  • Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    Original Author
    last year

you may see slight variation in pods on the same plant, those seem to be more environmental effects

Indeed just what I was wondering, environmental rather then genetic... oh well, I was just pondering...and having said that, I've saved the 3 pods in question and I'll see what happens with the seed in the spring.

Thanks for your insight!

Pieter

• bkay2000
    last year

Thanks for sharing (not that I'm going to grow anything), it's interesting.

bk

Pieter zone 7/8 B.C. thanked bkay2000