SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_720679265

2022-2023 TROPICAL FLOWERS IN MY ROSE GARDEN

KittyNYz6
last year
last modified: last year

IT’S A BEAUTIFUL 2022 FALL MY ROSY FRIENDS….

2023 COMING UP…..

My gardens are composed of tropical plants and roses and a few other flowers. Before I take them in for the winter I thought I’d share my tropical companion plants to my rose gardens…. I have passifloras, orchids, begonias, mandevilla, and African Violets for now. Passifloras and begonias are outside in spring, summer, fall and sit inside by a window during the winter. Mandevilla are outside only. Orchids and African Violets stay inside all year around. I had a streptecarpus…. may get another one.

UPDATE: I added Bugmansias latercdown in the thread….growing cuttings & potted! Photos… scroll down….

Love to see your tropical companion plants here, too? Which are your favorites tropical companion plants? Will they go in your home this winter, too?

These are my passifloras (passion fruit plants.)….I’ll show my other tropicals shortly….

Possum Purple Edulis Passiflora

Victoria Passiflora 1st bloom Oct. 11, 2022

Maypop Incarnata Passifloras

Comments (131)

• KittyNYz6
    Original Author
    last year

Trish, Old Apricot is the most beautiful tree I love her peachy color!The most heavenly I have ever seen! How glorious to step outside & see it! OH, MY, !!!!!! It is unbelievable that trees like it exist! It will be the most heavenly ever to have my Brug bloom next summer!

My Brug has 2 large roots now & a few small that just grew this last 4 days !!!!! I am over joyed!

It sounds amazing for you to grow all of yours from rooted cuttings. My cutting came w/ one root & maybe a few tiny roots I could hardly see. But it’s growing leaves & roots happily-SO EXCITED!!!

Pink Panther spunds great-maybe not too tall! 7 ft is great! I hope the white one doesn't come up again. Your Brugs sound awesome! Maybe you might share Old Apricot on the seasonal thread? I think everyone would love to see her!!!!

• titian1 10b Sydney
    last year

Kitty, I should have been clearer, sorry. That's the one I got the cutting from. Maybe one day one of mine will look like that.

KittyNYz6 thanked titian1 10b Sydney
  • Related Discussions

My Little Rose Garden - Spring 2022 Tour

Q

Comments (29)
    Your roses, flowers garden structures, and garden beds are extraordinary. Your videography is extraordinary. I will point out for others that I lived in Tallahassee 40-years ago. It is a challenging area in which to grow roses because of the high risk of fungal diseases which makes Hoang's results truly impressive, and greatly appreciated from this distance.
    ...See More

2022-2024 MY FAVORITE OLD GARDEN ROSES

Q

Comments (403)
    SoCalGardenNut, Beautiful La Reine! Yay, 5 blooms! She has tge most girgeous blooms & fragrance! Don’t forget to smell her fab fragrance! That’s so exciting that you have a Mme Isaac Pereire! I draw designs of whete ai wish to plant my rosrs so I can look at the design and know which rose is planted thete when I first plant. I keep plastic labels on them, too, if they have them. Eventually I memorize them. Your La Reine doubds very promusibg with 5 blooms! She has really beautiful blooms! I live La Reine & Isaac Pereire! Berry, A 4ft La Reine is wonderful! I am really thinking Zi want to move mine out of it’s pot! Next spring! My La Reine had about 15 blooms first flush. However a ”larger La Reine” will probably have twice as many blooms!
    ...See More

My 2022-2023 Japanese Garden Compliments My Rose Gardens!

Q

Comments (117)
    Elena, Name of dwarf cherry? Interesting-pretty Japanese tree! . I have a few cherry trees… Kwanzan, Wowza Cherry, Weeping Cherry, Okame Ch blossom trees. My Okame tree is 2 1/2 years old. I olanted it in Aug, 2nd, but trunk died over winter except 6 inches left above ground. So I grew another trunk & tree branched out now at 7-8 feet-looks very hardy now. I hope this spring to have blooms finally. I will keep pruning it small in width at 6 ft, because it is next to a rose garden bed .
    ...See More

Spring 2023 - What Roses Are You Planting In Your Garden?

Q

Comments (1412)
    Kimberly - do you want to start a new Summer thread...it's a bit long to be running the Spring Seasonal thread. :) :) Kitty - Oh, that naughty Houzz. That can be so frustrating. Yeah, that'll be fun to grow them at the same time. :) :) Thank you about my yard and the wedding. I'm really hoping that my passifloras can start growing (seriously...they've done nothing all summer)...wouldn't they be beautiful along an arbor for Kedra/Chloe to get married? I'm going to grow them next year...and if they still don't do anything, I'll toss them. Rats. Plus, with their big leaves they get really torn apart by all the hail we get. That's a good idea about getting the soil ready for poppies in 2024. What kind of flowers did you get at Lowes? GardenNut - excellent about the lemon tree! You'll be selling glasses of lemonade in front of your house in no time. LOL :) Yeah, I don't think it's asking too much for our roses/plants to get it together and WOW us. :) :) Kitty - uh oh. I didn't see that coming. Your peony poppies got knocked to the ground by the rain. With our hail and downpours, I'm thinking that these poppies may not be a good idea. I was really excited about having them in the wedding bouquet. I guess I'll just try and see how it goes. :) Oh my gosh, your Gladiolas are sooo beautiful!!! I'm wondering about the flowers you've planted in the circle...will they be too short to be seen once the roses grow? I love your Mandevilla!!! Wonderful!! Your Rosemantic Fuchsia looks great! I'm starting to love my Rosemantic Cream...the blooms look like peony poppies...all stuffed with petals. Everything looks wonderful in your yard. :)
    ...See More
  • KittyNYz6
    Original Author
    last year

Trish, I am sure your Brugs will grow into heavenly trees! Old Aoricot is a winner & your Old Apricot will be a real winner as it grows! Half the fun is watching them grow… sprout a few roots, put on a few leaves!! And their first blooms-out of this world! Your oeach & white trumpet blooms above are wonderful!

I look forward to next spring when my brug is potted and blooms for the first time! It will be soectacular snd miraculous! It is so much fun sharing w// you! I look forward to seeing your cuttings in pots, growing this fall & winter and blooming next spring! It’s going to be a wonderful adventure for us both!

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    last year

I just wrote a big long post about brugmansias lol and it totally disappeared after posting it lol.

titan, your Old Apricot brugmansia is magnificant! There are some great brugmansia hybridizers in Australia or at least there used to be lol. Im kinda out of the loop as I dont grow near as many as I used to and haven't been active in the "Society/ies" in awhile.

KittyNYz6 thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    last year

Naughty Nick

Antique White & Miss Emily McKenzie (highly recommended)

Shredded White..has crazy shredded blooms. Very fragrant..more sweet honeysuckle than the traditional lemony dishsoap smell lol.

I'm having some issues posting photos right now. I will post some more later lol.

• KittyNYz6
    Original Author
    last year

@sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)

Jasmine, Beautiful Brugmansias!!! Ypu have quite a collection! are these the Brugs you have now on your new property? How many did you used to have? Any Passifloras on your new property? Photos of them? Do you have new cuttings ir new plants?

Naughty Nick, is that a relative of St. Nicolas-the good one? Lol! Love Miss Emily!! I am looking forward to the scents of my first Brugmansia! Sweet Honeysuckle sounds wonderful!

last year

Naughty Nick is a hybrid developed by

Brenda Delph a cross of Creamsickle x Rosamond.

I used to have literally 100's of brugmansias lol. I also grew out 100's possibly 1000's of seedlings from my own hybrids and some for other hybridizers. One could say I was quite obsessed lol. The Brugmansia Forums here & on Dave's Garden used to be full of people trading and bidding 100's of $$ on ebay cuttings before the 2008 market crashes etc. which seemed to put a halt on a lot of plant buying. Plant buying, especially houseplants, seem to have made a come back since the Pandemic but is slowing again.

I dont have so many brugs now.

I took many cuttings and brought with me when I moved and got rid of many that I thought weren't that great or struggled in my area (bugs, disease etc.)

I did take cuttings of some Passiflora and many other tropicals/subtropicals. We will see what makes it after winter, since I dont have a proper greenhouse set up here yet lol. I do have a block 'tiny house' (outbuilding) with limited window space and an outbuilding carport that I can probably wrap some plastic around. My plan is to get a high tunnel or two set up instead of an actual greenhouse here but that prob won't happen until next spring.

last year

Painted Lady & Super Nova

Santa Rosa

A few of my own hybrids I never did anything with.

last year

Some examples of seed pods.

• KittyNYz6
    Original Author
    last year

I am in awe of your Brugmansia empire! How can you possibly have had hundreds! How many will you try to grow now? They all grow sooo big! Yours are magnificent! I love your hybrids-they grew beautifully! I esp. love your Santa Rosa, Painted Lady & the yellow one! What a spectacular tropiical garden!

You, Trish and Diane have certainly peaked my interest in these amazing Brugs! And now you, too!

The seed pods are really interesting…. so tempting…. I could grow them from seed….. but I’d have to give them away or sell them…. I have no room to grow more in my home…. in my living room bay window-green house, Lol!

Love to see photos of your cuttings of Passifloras? How are they growing? How many did you keep?

Do you have a lot of hired help? With your tons of roses, tropical plants, and farm animal & beautiful Perinese…. how do you manage it all? BTW, I miss your dog and your gorgeous farm photos, roses, farm furry fellows!

Blessings on your new farm property!

last year

When you are hybridizing or growing out hybrids from seed, you usually only keep them until they flower. Then you decide if you will grow them out for the full 3yrs or dump them. Many hybrids, even from a double parents can result in a single pink or white flower that is insignificant. If you are aiming for doubles, triples, quads, certain fragrances, long tendrils, curly tendrils, or more horizontal blooms, wavy petals, etc then you are going to want to keep only those seedings that match your criteria. From those seedlings, you want nematode resistance, disease resistance, pest resistance etc etc. Many people registered brugs early on only to discover they had no resistance to something and even though those brugs might be registered, they may no longer even be in existence lol. So what I'm getting at is, you sometimes must grow out hundreds of toads before you get a few worthy prince/princess. Then theres the whole issue if patent vs no patent and releasing them with no patent that I wont even get into haha.

All my plants plans are kinda on the backburner for now. The farm animals are the priority. Right now, I'm trying to save a litter of 5 piglets rejected by the momma sow. So I'm milking two goats that I planned to have dried up by now, in order to feed these piglets. I've bottle fed lots of critters but piggies are a first for me. They are 10 days old now. I will be glad when they are weaned!

We also got another Great Pyrenees puppy! He is 4 1/2 mos old and already as large as our Nigerian Dwarf bucks! We have too many coyotes out here for just our female Pyr to deal with. We had to bring in help. His name is Gabriel. A guardian angel to the goats lol.

Forgive this buck..he is full of pee 😂 Its what they do to smell attractive to the ladies!

We have 2 new baby goats born about a week ago. They are mini lamanchas (Nigerian Dwarf x Lamancha) See I'm still hybriding just with goats 🤣

Their newborn pics..mom's cleaning them off.

• berrypiez6b
    last year

That's wild Sultry ! I sure love to escape into the Rose Forum Avatar world to see flowers beyond anything I've ever seen.

Your hybrids resemble beautiful octopi and Shredded White looks like jellyfish.

Kitty, I'm so glad you opened this thread, I see why you are passionate about tropicals.

Do you ever browse Annies Annuals ? I like her Sea Anemone Passiflora. If I had a parlor I would love to have this Abutilon. ( hope it's ok to post Annies photos )

I really like this delicate looking fushia

Definitely want Pinball Wizard Dianthus someday.

KittyNYz6 thanked berrypiez6b
  • titian1 10b Sydney
    last year

sultry, what a busy life. What energy you must have. And need! All those babies to look after. And those brugmansias you hybridized are beautiful. I love the yellow especially. I think you should post your photos on the seasonal thread. We've been missing your animals, and people would love to see your brugs.

berrypie, I have that abutilon. It's very leggy - about 8' tall. The flowers make me think of something the Venetians would have worn in past centuries.

• berrypiez6b
    last year

Titian, that is so cool. I have to wait if I ever have a bigger place for one.

• KittyNYz6
    Original Author
    last year

Oh, My, Your knowledge od Brugmansias us amazing abd your hybridization! I can see a hundred seeds planted….. what a lot of work…. It certainly is a good idea to focus on your animals first! Bless your darling piglets! I wonder why the mother abandoned them…. maybe she was ovetwhelmed or not feeling well. I am so hlad you could save them! Thank heaven! I am sure the mother would be grateful!

Your baby goats are darlings! Beautiful unique variety if goats! ! Do you eventually sell a few piglets & goats? Another Perinese! Good-to scare off those coyotes! Your 2 dogs must be great companions and bigger than those coyotes! Hope the dogs protect each other, too too!

Thank you for sharibg your beautiful farm animals and tropicals!!! Beautiful heart warming photos!

Best wishes in your new farm adventure! It will all come together gradually! Blessings!

• KittyNYz6
    Original Author
    last year

Berry, You're amazing and sooo funny! You have such fabulous ideas! I think we’d all like to escape to Jasmine’s farm via avatar to swing through her tropical trees….. float amongst her flowers…. pet her sweet Perinese , goats and pigs! She has amazing frogs who live on her roses, too!

Can you share your rose frog photos on this thread? They look tropical & very unique! Lol!

Berry, I will have to look at Annies’ Annuals, the Sea Anemone Passiflora is exquisite! I love fushia plants! I havent had any fushia plants for a few years now…. they are so delicate in my weather….I had them in Seattle & Oregon and CA. Not yet tried them in NY. Love your white fushia! More Dianthus-Yes! Dianthus is such a great companion plant to roses! I need more, too. Thank you for sharing your lovely photos!

• KittyNYz6
    Original Author
    last year

This morning I ordered another Brugmansias from Angel Trumpet Nursery…. can’t resist and I need more color in my back yard. It will grow in a pot eventually.

Fruit Salad Brugmansia

(photos from Angel Trumpet Nursery)…

I will have 2 Brugmansia potted trees, but that is it! No more room in my Bay Window living room green house, Lol! They go outside spring growing season 2023. Fruit Salad Brug comes in 1 week & the cutting will grow in a glass of water, then in a pot for the winter.

PASSIFLORAS NOTE:

Victoria had 2 blooms again yesterday in the house, 70F, Oct. 9, 2022. She still has lots of buds. The itger Passiflora are dobe blooming I think for this season.

• berrypiez6b
    last year

Your new Fruit Salad trumpet will be magnificent Kitty ! it is near the color of my Sweet Francis rose. What a paradise you are creating.

Sultry I missed your farm family pictures post while I was writing mine.

My sister has had several lambs rejected by the mother. One bottle fed baby grew up to become her favorite . Vivian is so intelligent she acts like a sheep dog, training the others to obey commands and herds the flock in from the field .

Kitty and Sultry, you are as much a wonder as your plants and animals, my prayer for you both is strength and joy in your work.

I never had a daughter but when i wash the Bullydog's bowls , toys, and little coat, in my old age I feel a mother's love for her. Animals are one of the greatest gifts from God.

• KittyNYz6
    Original Author
    last year

Berry, Thank you! And Amara looks so darling! She wouod fo anything to please her mother! Look at those eyes! She is your adorable little girl! Anastasia is my little girl, noe that my 3 children flew the coup!

• rosecanadian
    last year

Trish - your Jacaranda tree is so sweetly lovely!!! Oh my!! How big of a pot do you think your Brug will eventually need? Oh my...that apricot one is a tree! How will that ever grow in a pot? Kitty's got me mesmerized :) :) to get one. Still thinking. :) :)

Kitty - I'm so happy for you about your Brugs. :) :) They truly have out-of-this-world flowers!! :) :) Thank you for that close-up of Trish's flowers...oh my goodness...they are heavenly!! :) :)

Sultry - oh my goodness!!! Your brugs are wonderful!! It looks like brugs don't need any support? Those seed pods are HUGE!!! Unreal. :) And you had HUNDREDS of brugs!! We all have obsessive tendencies. LOL That's for sure. I once had 12 leopard geckos.:) :) And those piglets! They're not getting the mama love...but at least you're there for them. :) You must be tired from getting up at all hours to feed them. Your pup sure is handsome!!! I've never seen a Great Pyr. pup before. :) What a happy tyke. How are your 2 dogs getting along? Yeah, male goats can be gross..pee on their heads...LOL Gotta do it for the LADIES! :) Such cute kids. :) Keep us posted on them as they grow. :)

Berrypie - GASP!! I love that Dianthus!!! I want one too. :) I'd rather get into fuchsias than brugs...they're smaller. I overwintered a cool fuchsia one year...then I tried it in the garage and it died. So if I get more (hard to find them here) I'll have to overwinter them inside. That orange flower is a passiflora? It's a stunner! Awwww...Vivianne sounds like such a sweet ewe. Makes me want to be a vegetarian. But I'm conflicted since I hate beans, and most legumes...and I love meat. Yes, we are so blessed to have our dogs. :)

Kitty - what a beauty!! You won't try overwintering one in the garage? Temps just have to be at a low of 5C/41F. Your Victoria passiflora is a winner!

KittyNYz6 thanked rosecanadian
  • KittyNYz6
    Original Author
    last year

@rosecanadian

Hi, Carol,

Thank you! Victoria seems to still be blooming, but her buds are loosing colorbinside home, turning from pink to green….) She stillbhas a few mote bloons…… before sitting back to grow sliw in winter window.

I can’t over winter in a garage-I don’t have one in this old historic mansion. Lol I have a very warm basement w/ a boiler heater in it. I can’t grow plants in the basement either. I am now dreaming of a green house porch! The architecture in the back kitchen would be beautiful fitting perfectly! An expanded kitchen porch! Well, I can dream!

Check out the Brugmansia photo I put on your seasonal thread of a Brug in a medium pot-that’s my plan. Eventually, maybe a larger pot. You can prune the size that fits you.

• KittyNYz6
    Original Author
    last year

My “Angel’s Sweet Summer,” Brugmansia is growing…..

Nov. 3, 2022, Starting out! In east morning bay window. (I have never grown a cutting in the fall before….. inside home is 67F-72F.)

Nov. 10, today today, leaves opened double size, many new roots sprouted, new leaf buds opening….. grows vigorously….

Velvety leaves

@titan1 Trish

I am wondering about pruning a trunk for my Brug tree? Should I not allow leaves to grow down further on trunk? I see some Brugs look like bushes in pots-w/ lower growth?

• berrypiez6b
    last year

Carol, Pinball Wizard IS outrageous isn't it ! Imagine a few in a bouquet...

I loved Variegatta di Bologna but no once bloomers are allowed into my garden anymore. Pinball Wizard Dianthus can be my stripey rose look alike .

It's hardy Zone 1-8 , what a cold blooded Dianthus !

It seems even colder to me my sister eats her animals. Run Vivian run !!!

The drawback of PB Wizard is that it's poisonous to dogs. Amara likes to smell and lick the flowers, but she doesn't graze much when Doug purposely buys deli whole roasted chickens with her in mind.

There are a couple plant sources for Pinball , none for seeds that I could find . If I order and successfully grow one, you know what that means - seeds !

Hope your hand is recovering. Seems a lot of people get hurt exercising for health.

My neck gets so bad from sleeping awkward in a single bed with an 80 pound dog ( yes Kitty, she's my little girl ) my hands often go numb , so I occasionally have to take some time off writing .

last year

Kitty: Yes, once your brug gets growing in a pot, you can just prune off lower branches/leaves and keep the top canopy if you want to have a Standard form. I have done them that way. I would wait until it is bigger first, Maybe a couple feet at least.

The more branches you have though, the more flowers you will have! That's why I like yo let them grow shrubby.

One time I planted 3 diff colored brugs in a pot and kept them trimmed and braided the trunks while they were thin and pliable. Kind of a novelty but I didn't get a ton of flowers that way lol.

Brugmansia can be kept smaller in pots by taking them out periodically and trimming the roots. Many hybridizers in cold areas do this so they can move them into greenhouses and keep them growing through the winter to keep the seed pods from freezing.

Or, you can just trim them way back and sell/trade off or root all the cuttings and root prune hard.

I love those Striped Dianthus!!

last year

Heres the piggies tonight. We lost the little runt who was half the size of the others.

I had a feeling he wouldn't make it. We tried 😥

These 4 seem to be doing really well and have grown. They know when its feeding time and start squealing and oinking super loud!

I have an audio book I listen to when I feed them and they know the voice of the narrator and the second I turn it on they get so excited because they know its time to eat! 😅

They are all females!

• berrypiez6b
    last year

Adorable !!!

I hope it didn't offend you Sultry what I said about my sister eating her farm animals. I stewed our mean rooster - he was tough !

last year

Haha, Nooo I'm not offended at all. We have a few male pigs going to freezer camp this fall along with 5 tom turkeys. We have done lots of chickens. Next year, we are going to raise at least one steer for the freezer. I love the idea of knowing where our food comes from and that the animal had a healthy happy life.

My hubby hates our old Blue Slate tom turkey and wants to send him to freezer camp. He hates my husband and basically any male. Chases them and tries to flog them. He likes me and follows me everywhere, is very sweet lol. I keep him because he is unrelated to my turkey hens and is a good breeder makes lots of fertile eggs etc. The only time he has been aggressive to me was the few times that I wore my bright purple sweat pants out to feed them..it took me awhile to figure out why he was acting that way lol. Its all good unless I wear, The Color Purple (pants that is) 😅

• KittyNYz6
    Original Author
    last year

Heavenly Sweet! I love your darling baby piglets! Their baby eyes are are the most! Thank you for sharing your darlings w/ us! Now I want a piglet! Like I could have one, ha!

Thank you for all your wonderful ideas on growing my Brugs! Ok, I’ll grow all it’s leaves for awhile …. may want it shubby for awhile w/ more blooms. I will pot it in 1-2 weeks as I’d like to see many strong roots first.

Berry, I love your striped Dianthus, Pinball Wizard! You have the best ideas!!! ! Blooms all season-Yay! Zone 1-a real winner! Ok! , she’s on my wish list for spring!

(Annie’s Annuals $10.) Got it!

• titian1 10b Sydney
    last year

Carol, mine are in pots that are around 2' to 2 1/2' wide and the same deep. The first one I just stuck in the back of a pot that had kalanchoe in it, meaning to remove it later. It's still there. They gobble up the soil. I'm going to add soil to the top, and hope they survive- I haven't the energy to remove them and add it underneath. Yes, fuchsias sound a much better idea!

Kitty, that Fruit Salad brug is very pretty.

berrypie, Amara is such a cutie.

sultry, those little faces! And how clever of them to know the narrator's voice.

• KittyNYz6
    Original Author
    last year

@titian1 10b Sydney

Trisha, Thank you for sharing your size of pot. I will keep that size in mind for spring! So they love and gobble up soil. Hmmmm, well mine will be given some in a week or 2. Thanks on Fruit Salad! It’s so exciting watching them grow in water…. roots growing….. kinda miraculous!

• KittyNYz6
    Original Author
    last year

Funny Tom Turkey! I’m glad he loves you! No purple pants for you, Lol So you raise your own food and a steer is next. Sounds so healthy and best life for animals. I bet your eggs are really delicious! I love organic eggs! What a great lifestyle! !

• berrypiez6b
    last year

Kitty maybe instead of roses we should be collecting animals.

Wouldn't Tom Turkey hate Diane's and Ben's purple roses.

• berrypiez6b
    last year

Thanks for the Amara compliment Titian, she would love to hear you say she's a cutie. I told her you said so.

Time for bed, Goodnight from Amara.

• KittyNYz6
    Original Author
    last year

Darling! Good Night, Amara!

• berrypiez6b
    last year

OOPs ! correction on Pinball Wizard Dianthus ;

hardiness zone 5-9

1-8 was for heat zones.

• rosecanadian
    last year

Kitty - I didn't know you don't have a garage. And you don't have a cold basement either. I see that you HAVE to overwinter in the house by a window. So that does limit how many you can grow. Darn. Is your manfriend :) a builder/handy? Maybe he could build you a greenhouse porch! Yes, I'll check out the seasonal thread. I may decide to get a Brug after reading here that they can be grown in smaller pots. :) :) But I have to wait until spring ordering is available. And I have to find some. :) You are such an enabler! :)

Berrypie - How big are the blooms? Amazing that it's cold hardy to zone 1!! I want one! :) :) Yes, it does seem cold to eat your pets/animals. But that's the way it has been for 10,000 + years. So...we're the ones who aren't quite with the program. LOL Run, Vivian run!!! Oh my!! What a sweetly spoiled dog Amara is...roasted chicken!! We spoil our dogs too. LOL Oh!!! Seeds...you're right!! And you are so generous with your seeds. Tee hee!! Yeah, my finger/hand are MUCH better. Still aches...but I can type now with all fingers...so no worries anymore. Oh, no....a single bed with an 80 pound dog? LOL No way!! :)

Sultry - good ideas for growing Burgs. Now I really want one. And we know that I can't stop at one. Oh, I'll see if I can find any. LOL Maybe I could try on Etsy/ebay when it's closer to spring. Although maybe by then I'll have forgotten. :) Do you have any pictures of your braided Brugs? Those piglets are adorable!! I think the orange one with the spots is super cute! That's too bad about the runty pig. You tried...there's nothing more you could have done. At least she got some hand contact from you...enough to know she was loved. Like I said to Berrypie, your way is far more natural than the way most of us get our meat. And your animals have happy lives...good for you! :) That's weird about purple being an aggravating color for your tom. Have you tried wearing blue? I'm thinking that maybe blue/purple look the same...and toms have blue on their skin that announces they're males...so maybe purple/blue are a territorial thing for a tom. Good looking turkey! Have you tried wearing red? Maybe red/purple look the same to them.

Berrypie - oh darn. Zone 5 is too tender for here. Oh well...at least I'll get to see your pics. :)

Berrypie - oh my goodness!!! That's an ADORABLE picture of Amara!!!! I could just kiss her!!

Hmmmm....2 feet is maybe too big...maybe I should stick to fuchsias. :) :)

• titian1 10b Sydney
    last year

sultry, I completely agree with your philosophy of knowing that your animals have happy, healthy lives. An Australian writer called Tim Winton worked in an abattoir, and said that if abattoirs had glass walls, we'd all be vegetarians. I no longer eat meat, but do eat fish (not proud of that), and about twice a year have roast chicken with my son. It's been easy to replace butter with vegan substitutes and milk, ditto, but I still eat cheese. That's hilarious about the purple pants!

berrypie, I'd adopt Amara in a heartbeat. She's a sweetie. My Rosie is too. I wish she wasn't so prey driven (she got a frog the other night), but she is who she is. Trish.

• KittyNYz6
    Original Author
    last year

@rosecanadian

Carol,

Lovely dreams of green house! my friend across the street helps w/gardening a few times each year, but not other things. (& no gentlemen builders/& no gentlemen friends now. Done for now-not really best fits. ! Lol!) On to the next! Lol!

Dreaming of beautiful greenhouse porch!!!! Beautiful dreams! And for now enjoying my Brug and Passifloras growing inside!

Friends,

My Brug is inching along growing !!! My Maypop put on a whole new blanket of leaves all over! (Remember I defoliated her due mostly to damaged leaves from outside. I don’t think she liked the changing season ... too much sun or cold or too much water, I had moved her a few times. ) My Maypop is now growing by leaps now! Beautiful!

Interesting that Possum Purple & Victoria did fine moved few times outside & are really well.

I think they both had too much shade during growing season, but in the fall I gave them sun & they had many flowers. Maypop was in more sun during growing season, but was occasionally underwatered-sometimes burned leaves-had more blooms-though, but in fall she just didn't do well until I pampered her inside home. And all 3 had bugs outside which didn't help that much.

Inside they all have filtered light sun, it’s mild temps 67-72F and I can water more carefully. And no bugs! So their leaves are all beautiful now-fresh. Flowers are falling off & soon to cease. But they’re growing, lots of new growth & happy! I water about once a week checking w/ my hand & most almost daily. I let them dry to just a little moist but almost dry on surface soil. They each get 3/4 gallon water once a week. And I spray mist daily.

I realize if I check their soil daily and I spray mist them, I won’t have any dying plants. Yay!

Carol, BTW, I don’t mean to enable you, but it’s a beautiful healthy hobby! Your tropical plants, whether they are streps, passiflora or Brugmansias! A blessing to all to see gorgeous blooms in your garden and freshen the air! Maybe it would liven up your winter to have a Brug cutting growing in a jar, then in a small pot with your streptocarpus friendly plants? Do they need some company? You don’t have that many right now? Brugs are vigorous & easy to grow-not fussy! Give a Brug a growing lamp, a glass of few inches water, & watch her have fun! She can grow 1-3 werksvin water to establish roots, then put her in a sm pot. I buy 6 inch, 12 inch and 18 inch light weight decorative plastic pots-easy to carry. That’s my plan! Love those pretty green plastic pots at Lowes!

And I probably won’t have a 2 ft pot. Maybe more like 18 inches like my Passifloras. However, I will have a 6 inch pot for starters. I read you can trim the roots and prune them to the size you want. My 2 Brugs will have to be pruned small to fit in house, Lol! During summer I could put in bigger put & grow bigger then prune-reduce size for winter. There are a few techniques to overwinter Brugs. That is one I learned recently.

Another tried & true way to over winter a Brug is just take a few cuttings to grow over winter then-forget about -toss the original big tree. Each year you could grow a few new brugmansia trees inside over winter then enjoy them during-summer-fall. Then repeat cycle-take cutting in fall to grow over winter-start over. ...They grow fast each year.

And another method is to over winter in garage.

In a day or so Angels Trumpet Nursery will ship my Fruit Salad Brugmandia! Can’t wait!

PS Each year I plan to prune back canes & roots my 2 Brugs & if they get too big, I'll start over w/ cuttings!!! Love that idea! I may even give cuttings to friends occasionally!

• rosecanadian
    last year

Kitty - well, if your gentleman friend wasn't the right fit, then that's good to know now rather than later. You're worth only the best! :) :) That's great about your Brug and Maypop growing well. I had my Maypops in mostly shade too. I'm going to try more sun next year for them. You're mastering the art of growing passifloras inside. :) :) I looked on Etsy/ebay (Canada only) and could only find seeds. And reviews were that the seeds didn't grow. So I'll see how it goes later in the season...maybe some other places will put them on their websites. :) I think I'd overwinter mine in the garage. We truly do not have windows here that are in the sun...except the kitchen sink window. I really love the color of Brug that you're getting. So beautiful!! I love your enabling...I wouldn't have passifloras without you enabling me. :) :) Your enthusiasm is so much fun!

• berrypiez6b
    last year

Carol I'm so sorry I got your hopes up for the Pinball Dianthus and it turned out to be a zone 5, I felt so dumb. It did seem strange when I read zone 1.

Without it you will still have a magnificent yard , one less toxic worry for the pup dogs to get into.

Kitty, I can hardly stand the wait for Spring again after seeing all these outrageous tropicals photos.

Today i bought a little Rosemary plant for the kitchen, nothing fancy but it smells so good.

Trish frog is about the ickiest dog dinner I can imagine .

• rosecanadian
    last year

Berrypie - no worries. :) :) I'll get to see your pictures...that's enough. :) :)

• KittyNYz6
    Original Author
    last year

Carol, Hmmmmm…… seeds seem a little more work anyway. I’m sure other Brugmansias on websites will come up later. Brugs are a bit if fun esp. with their colorful flamboyant trumpet blooms!

There are soooo many heavenly flowers in existence , I am sure there is an alternative pink & red flower or dianthus out there for you!

Berry, Growing Rosemary in the kitchen….. well as long as it stays a small plant, Lol Great for cooking chicken & Xmas turkey!

• KittyNYz6
    Original Author
    last year

Yesterday my Fruit Salad Brugmasia was delivered from Angel Trumpet Nursery! Woohoo! It came with a few roots in soil so I potted it asap. It looks very healthy happy today! Had great packaging & reasonably priced $16.50 plus shipping.

It will look like this next summer....

last year

Kitty, how are all your new plants doing?

• Diane Brakefield
    last year

Sultry, Kitty has a short round up of how these plants are doing, posted yesterday on the seasonal thread when she addresses Straw. Hopefully, she'll be returning soon when her work schedule eases. Diane

last year

Thanks Diane. I will check it out :)

• KittyNYz6
    Original Author
    last year

My tropical plants are growing in my baywindow this winter….. Begonias didnt make it. Passifloras are doing well now tgat I water daily…… they ate growing shoots and keaves, but no flowers until soring when they go outside . My Brugmansias are both pitted and have grown sone this winter-watered daily. Stram radiators tends to dry them out if not watered daily. Maypop lost most leaves as was not watered enough, but now daily water instantly rejuvenates it!

I grew Brugs from cuttings from Angel Trumpet nursery. They came with 2+ roots. Fruit Salad had more roots & was little larger. Growing them in winter, inside home, A’s Summer R Brug grew slowly in water/potted later, potted Fruit Sald when first arrive, but finally both are potted and do well over winter. They have more than sextupled their size!!!

PHOTOS TODAY, Jan 27, 2023:

Angel’s Sweet Summer Brug

Fruit Salad Brug

Possum Purple Passiflora ( The most hardy for less warer & more sun-overwintered best inside home)

Victoria Passiflora

last year

Sorry to hear about your begonias not making it. The passiflora look great! Its hard sometimes, keeping things alive during the winter. Check beneath your brugmansia leaves for spider mites or aphids. Sometimes the leaves curl down like that when they have mites or aphids. Mites are very hard to see and may look like teeny tiny red or brown dots. There is not always webbing. Sometimes it can just be winter growing funk (what I call it lol) and they grow out of it in the spring when they go outdoors.

I have a ton of tomato plants under lights right now that deperately need potting up. My peppers are being very slow to sprout. I have a heating pad under them right now that I constantly have to reset as it turns off every two hours! Lol. I have 2 plant heat mats that I cant seem to find since we moved grr. We still have a lot of boxes out in my hubbys shop that I need to go through. Hopefully they are out there.

• KittyNYz6
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you for your lovely comments on my tropicals. I was watering alternate days on my indoor tropicals & most dried out some… the brugs started curling leaves. However, I started watering daily 2 weeks ago & everything has perked up. That is why Brug had slight curl in leaves. Other Brug was just in water glass & looked more healthy, except the minute I potted it, watering alternate days leaves curled down a tad. So aI realized more water was needed -now watering daily. And huge difference… Passifloras growing new growth all over… Brugs happier now. Few feet from radiator dries out quick. But now happy!!! (I’ve had mites before… so if they venture in-I’ll take care of thise tricky beasts!!!!.)

Your tomatoes & peppers sound fun!, if you make it through their TLC care inside, Lol!. I grow tomatoes & peppers every summer-they grow fast, but ai buy plants & they are outdoors. I’m buying less this soring because my tomaties are always 12 feet tall-too much! Lol!

• KittyNYz6
    Original Author
    last year

March 7, 2023,

I repotted 2 Brugmansias yesterday, after growing all winter inside home, into 12” pots still growing in bay window. They have been turned toward sun to straighten out leaves. Pots & Brugs are actually twice as big as photos Jan. 27 above. (They will be moved to bigger pots when it’s warm for outside.)

Fruit Salad Brugmansia

Angel Sweet Summer Brugmansia

March 7, 2023:

3 PASSIFLORAS in bay window of home all doing well, filling out more leaves, BIG inside pots. Possum Purple Passiflora , in second season now, grows the best-it has the most hardy big glossy leaves-overgrowing it’s pot/obelisk & I just don’t want to cut it back-so beautiful & green-little gangly, Lol! ! May Pop, in 3rd season now, sprouted 5 new shoots & has many new long stems filling out obelisk, again. Victoria, in second season now, is nice & green, very full in obelisk! Daily watering makes them all most happy inside/outside!

MORE TROPICALS:

I’ll add a new African Violet, Orchid, Mandevilla and begonias as warmer weather comes.

Anyone adding tropicals to their rose gardens this spring? Love to see photos?