SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
c_w55

Windows on New Build

C W
last year
last modified: last year

I'm about a two months away from breaking ground on a new home (Climate zone 6) and have spent dozens of hours researching window brands and reading this forum. We have a lot of glass on our home (elevations can be found here), so it's important that they have a low u-value, good condensation rating and appropriate SHGC.

So far these are the brands we are considering, with quotes we have so far (I will update this as quotes come in):

Marvin Elevate (double pane) - casement and fixed - .26 u-value - $89,000 - standard exterior color, bare pine interior

We are waiting on a Marvin Elevate triple pane quote to compare apples to apples

Zola uPVC (triple pane)- tilt & turn and fixed - .17 u-value - $105,000 - this is for white interior, white exterior. It's another 9% for tinting per side

Loewen - awaiting quote, probably too expensive

Alpen - Zenith Series ZR-6 (double pane, suspended film)- casement and fixed - .16 to .19 u-value (suspended film v. thin glass) - fiberglass standard exterior and interior color - $106,000 - incomplete as some windows were excluded

Tyrol Series TR-6 (triple pane) - tilt & turn and fixed - .15 to .16 u-value (suspended film v. thin glass) 10% cheaper than Zenith series

Fibertec - 325 Series (double or triple paned) - Casement and Fixed - .17 to .29 u-value - $110,000 for triple glazed

Inline - Casement 325 series (double pane?) - casement and fixed - .17 to .20 u-value - fiberglass - $83,000 for double pane (.21-.23 u-value) and $93,000 for triple pane (.14-.16 u-value).

Klearwall - $140,000

Oknoplast - $86,000 - current lowest quote - double pane including all exterior doors

Schuco - $134,000 - triple pane, including all doors, u-value of .13

Some additional considerations:

1. My wife is not sold on the tilt and turn style window because of how they open inward and she is worried about furniture placement, traffic flow, etc.

2. Our interior designer mentioned having the interior window match the trim in the house, which limits our options if we go with anything other than the Marvin Elevate, which can be painted.

3. The additional cost to paint the trim on the Marvin Elevate.

My questions:

1. What u-value is "good enough" for my climate zone? I read in Pretty Good House that they recommend a .22 u-value. I'm wondering at what point do the returns on u-value diminish to the point that it's not worth spending the extra money to get a lower value.

2. Of the above brands, which would you choose?

Tagging @millworkman and any other knowledgeable, experienced professionals for advice.

Comments (36)

• elcieg
    last year

I can't comment on your questions, because I don't know enough about windows. I can tell you my experience with our custom build home. Marvin windows, very expensive and lots of them. We were not happy. We had four 12' sliders and the seals broke on all 4. Had them replaced by Marvin (no problem there, at all) and on 2 of the new 4 replacements, the seals broke.

Next house, renovation, but all new windows, not replacement.s This time we went with Anderson 400 Series throughout the house and lower level. Six years in and not one issue. Tight as a drum.

We live in the Northeast, close to ocean, Cape Cod.

• Related Discussions

Comments on windows for new build.

Q

Comments (1)
    Sorry wrong photo here is the new one. Thanks, Here is a link that might be useful:
    ...See More

marvin integrity all ultrex windows for new build

Q

Comments (5)
    Slam dunk in that comparison. Cheaper...and the better window. Have you seen it? What kind of operators do you have in the home? Most folks prefer the wood ultrex, but if you are going modern stylelines, the all ultrex in all black is definitely good looking.
    ...See More

Windows for new build - Sunrise or Softlite?

Q

Comments (9)
    Thanks all for commenting - I still don't have a "clear winner" - lol ! But since I seem to have all the Windows Pros attention - since the builder will be doing the install and the windows all come directly from factory - is there any reason to go with LOCAL vendor? can I just go with whoever can give me best price and service?? When i have a warranty issue - I will likely have to eventually resolve with Company and not vendor? Pls let me know if I am missing something? OPs - who are the actual end users - let me know your experiences with these specific lines ... and also if you had a great experience with a particular Vendor.
    ...See More

Condensation around windows in new build house

Q

Comments (12)
    This chart is a nice guide in terms of getting your humidity level right to minimize the condensation. As mentioned above, open those window treatments a little bit overnight to let air circulate in there. If you are unable to moderate the RH levels with simple means, you may want to have an certifed home energy professinal out to assess. There is no such thing as building a home "too tight" with respect to uncontrolled air leakage, however there is definitely a point where mechanical ventilation would be prescribed to preserve indoor air quality. The excessive humdity can be an indicator.
    ...See More
  • millworkman
    last year

Well stated WoW. There are several pro's who post regularly here in the "Windows" forum who are all extremely knowledgeable, actually more knowledgeable able then me as well. And speaking of...............................

• C W
    Original Author
    last year

@Windows on Washington Ltd you're not chopped liver, you're Filet Mignon. I now remember reading many of your comments but your handle didn't stick in my mind because you don't have a cat wearing sunglasses as your picture.

Thank you for the great input. We have about 1,200 sq feet of glass on the house. I like the European style but my wife is concerned it won't match the aesthetic of the house.

• Janet
    last year

I’m also in the process of choosing windows and am curious what you’ll decide on.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    last year

Happy wife....chance at a happy life. No guarantees. But you can bet your sweet arse it won't be happy...if she isn't.

• C W
    Original Author
    last year

Update: Alpen came in at $106,000 but they missed a few windows in the quote and did not include french doors, so the quote is not complete.

• C W
    Original Author
    last year

Update II: Fibertec came in at:

Triple glazed: $110,000

• Dee C
    last year

Hi @elcieg - Glad to hear you're happy with your choice of Andersen 400 series. Did you choose Tilt Wash or Woodwright? Thank you.

• elcieg
    last year

Tilt wash because one side of the house has the walk out basement, with patio, making the first floor windows difficult to reach without a ladder. I honestly don't tilt windows in the rest of the house. I find them heavy and hard to clean without help.

• Dee C
    last year

Thanks for your reply, @elcieg! I believe both the Tilt Wash and Woodwright tilt in for cleaning but it's much easier with the Woodwright. I found this video which shows both. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPX8QIiFcQc

• PRO
    last year

That is a good price on the Fibertec and they seem to have good feedback on them. Tried to do the @ mention of you, but it doesn't find the C W.

• elcieg
    last year

Watched the video, see what you mean about "easier". I did see one thing on the Woodwright I didn't like...the two locks, which is a must to make it tilt.

Also noticed the windows are in CT. I am in MA and have never seen that brand around my area.

Thanks for sharing. Learn something new every day on houzz.

• C W
    Original Author
    last year

@Windows on Washington Ltd - I was so excited when their initial quote came in at $84,000, until I went through it and realized they missed a bunch of windows :(.

• Dee C
    last year

I noticed that (2 locks on Woodwright), in the video, too, @elcieg. I do think that has to do with the width of the window, though. I have seen a Woodwright in two different showrooms in NH that had only one lock (with the tilt release in it) in the center and they seemed to be average width windows. Take care.

• PRO
    HomeSealed Exteriors, LLC
    last year

Excellent commentary from WoW, especially pertaining to U value.

My $.02:

- While a nice window, the Elevate is not like your other choices in that its a couple tiers down in terms of performance.

- Suspended film acheives some phenomenal numbers, but history is not as kind to it when it comes to durability. Each time a new company offers it (very few do which is an indicator in itself) the claim is made that those durability concerns are in the past, the issues have been solved, however that has yet to be proven true.

Based on your goals, a good triple pane unit with a low air infiltration rating should do well for you. While a .22 u value is indeed pretty good, it would actually be a red flag IMO as most high performance triple pane options will be .20 or lower. No double pane window will achieve a .22 without either a suspended film or possibly surface 4 low e which is detrimental to condensation resistance.

C W thanked HomeSealed Exteriors, LLC
  • C W
    Original Author
    last year

Klearwall cam in at $140,000 for uPVC.

At this point with only Inline outstanding, I'm not sure what to do. Our window budget is around $90,000 - only the Marvin double pane is actually at or below budget. The rest of the quotes are $10-20k over budget. I'm fine going over if other stuff on the house comes in at or under - I'd rather spend the money on windows than counters or tile.

@Windows on Washington Ltd @millworkman @HomeSealed Exteriors, LLC - what would you do if it were your home?

• millworkman
    last year

I would probably go with the Fibertec. I know of them as a solid company. Zola, Klearwall I am not familiar enough with and Alpen is a bit shaky from my perspective, been reinvented too many times.

• PRO
    last year

I am kind of leaning towards @millworkman feedback. Disclaimer, I have ZERO personal experience with Fibertec, but the rub on them is very good.

• res2architect
    last year

Both of the Andersen 400 series double-hungs have the same PVC clad frame.

The 400 Woodwright has a Fibrex clad sash with a traditional glass stop.

The 400 Tilt Wash has a PPG epoxy painted sash with 2 versions of an odd glass stop.

400 WOODWRIGHT

400 TILT WASH

• Dee C
    last year

@res2architect, thank you for this information. I'll admit, I just "googled" to try to understand what a "glass stop" is. I'm not sure it helped much.

So, if I am understanding correctly, both the Tilt Wash and the Woodwright have a PVC (vinyl) clad FRAME but the SASH of the Woodwright is clad in FIBREX and the SASH of the Tilt Wash has a vinyl "glazing bead," and a Flexacron (painted finish) on wood? Is the SILL Fibrex on both the Tilt Wash and the Woodwright? Apart from the PVC (vinyl clad) FRAME, is the rest of the exterior of the Woodwright Fibrex?

I wish I knew how to "read" the images you posted. Even if the images were much bigger, I still don't think I'd know what is what. Do you feel the Woodwright is a better window than the Tilt Wash? Thank you for your time.

• res2architect
    last year

The sash is the part that moves up and down and holds the glass. The PVC clad frame holds the sash and includes the sill. The glass stop is what holds the glass in the sash. On the Woodwright its integral to the sash and on the Tilt-Wash its 2 different kinds of clips.

The Woodwright is a better window than the Tilt-Wash. They both have the tilt-wash feature.

The sill sections should become large enough to understand when you click on them.

• Dee C
    last year

Thank you for your further explanation, @res2architect. I've looked at a number of "mid-level" wood interior windows, including the Harvey Majesty Window and Pella Lifestyle which, unlike the Andersen Tilt-Wash and Andersen Woodwright, have an aluminum clad exterior (extruded frame, roll formed sash). I have read criticisms of both PVC clad wood and aluminum clad wood, (particularly roll-form) but these are the options in my budget. I'm trying to make a wise decision. We need 25 windows and we won't be doing this again.

Because it is often recommended here, I did look at the Marvin Elevate but to me, the interior had a contemporary feel (lip on the upper part of the lower interior sash) and I'm looking for a traditional looking window. We have a country style cape in NH.

• millworkman
    last year

I would steer clear of anything Harvey or Pella were it me. Maybe look for a LePage dealer for a mid tier wood or wood clad window.

• Dee C
    last year

Thanks, @millworkman. I did go look at the LePage windows. They are beautiful. Unfortunately, they are beyond the budget.

• millworkman
    last year

I would look to stretch your budget or run the very real risk of changing the windows again in 10 years. Or look into a decent vinyl window.

• res2architect
    last year

Perhaps I missed something in the OP's comments but I thought they wanted a traditional appearance and didn't like the Elevate lower sash cap so I assumed the windows would be double-hungs. If that's the case, the lowest U-value for a Fibertec triple pane double-hung is .22 which I suspect would be quite expensive.

Also the Fibertec double-hung is designed like a vinyl window with different width top and bottom sash, a bulging exterior frame and thin sash set to the exterior like a typical vinyl window. IMO that doesn't look like a traditional window.

If you want a traditional double-hung window I would take another look at the Marvin Elevate. When the budget will allow it I prefer Marvin Ultimate double-hungs.

Where is the project located?

If its near Boston, the best Marvin dealer is JB Sash & Door (ask for Joe Adams). https://jbsash.com

FIBERTEC

ELEVATE

• Dee C
    last year

Thanks, @millworkman. I can't imagine going through this again in ten years. You feel there's a real risk of that if I go with Harvey Majesty, Pella LIfestyle, Andersen Tilt Wash or Andersen Woodwright. Ugh.

@res2architect, I am not the OP, but I had commented on this thread about feeling the sash cap on the lower sash of the Elevate gave it a contemporary (not traditional) feel. Yes, I was referring to Double-Hungs. I will look at the photos I have of the Marvin Elevate again to see if I can see "traditional" in it.

Thank you, both.

• res2architect
    last year

Simulated divided lites are only available for Fibertec 300 Series Casement Windows, 300 Series Awning Windows and 300 Series Fixed Window. IMO the Fibertec windows are essentially a fiberglass version of a vinyl window.

• C W
    Original Author
    last year

@res2architect- I’m the original poster and was asking for advice on the above brands I’m considering - all casement - as the quotes trickle in. Others started having a separate discussion on the thread completely unrelated to what I originally posted.

I'm in Chicago.

• Dee C
    last year

@C W, my apologies for any confusion my question to one of the commenters on your thread caused. Like you, I am trying to choose windows--not an easy task. I wish you well in your window search.

• res2architect
    last year

As an architect rather than a window supplier, I recommend posting the design of the house and listing the desired features before delving into window performance options.

• C W
    Original Author
    last year

I linked to the elevations and floor plan in my original post. I’m not sure what desired features you are referring to.

• C W
    Original Author
    last year

Update: Inline came in at $83,000 for double pane and $92,000 for triple pane - they seem like the best option at the moment.

• millworkman
    last year

Inline is also a fine product.

• PRO
    HomeSealed Exteriors, LLC
    last year

Klearwall cam in at $140,000 for uPVC.

At this point with only Inline outstanding, I'm not sure what to do. Our window budget is around $90,000 - only the Marvin double pane is actually at or below budget. The rest of the quotes are $10-20k over budget. I'm fine going over if other stuff on the house comes in at or under - I'd rather spend the money on windows than counters or tile.

@Windows on Washington Ltd@millworkman@HomeSealed Exteriors, LLC - what would you do if it were your home?

Starmark Evo Composite is my choice, triple pane/argon.

Inline is a nice product and good performer as well.

Some additional food for thought, Energy Star 7.0 is set to be implemented in 2023 with a threshold of .22 U value or better for the Northern Zone which includes Chicago. This will effectively require triple pane glass and will eliminate many options for those who want an Energy Star qualified product. With a new, higher tax credit set to be released as well, I suspect that triple pane glass will become the norm for this region sooner than later -- as it should... None of this means that you have to go that route of course, but its also something to consider so as not to make a choice that could be viewed as obsolete in a short period of time.

Lastly, given that you are looking at casements, the design discussion carries a bit less weight IMO. It is a more modern configuartion to start with, and with less aesthetic difference from one material to the next in comparison to double hungs.

C W thanked HomeSealed Exteriors, LLC