SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chelsey_smithxo

Nursery design dilemma

Girlmom101
last year

Hello!
We are expecting our first baby in the new year and have just started putting together a little nursery.
Things we have not yet started but will be doing:
-Painting the walls an off white and doing board and batten on the crib wall.
-hanging a mirror above dresser with shelves next to it.
My problem is, where it's such a small space I'm finding it hard to put things together and make it practical.
I wish the crib could be centre with the room but there wouldn't be room for a rocking chair. I'd like to stick to whites, blacks, creams, beiges with a bit of baby pink.

Comments (145)

• Girlmom101
    Original Author
    last year

Justcallmepool it's actually a large wall to leave blank! Maybe it's hard to see? Haha!

• denkyem
    last year

On the monitor, you might be able to sit it on a flat surface (the dresser or even the bookshelf) or else hang it on the wall directly over the crib, but if you do that you'll need to look at electrical plug routing and use a cord protector channel so the kid can't grab the cord. In any case, you don't want to set it up permanently yet because the little one will probably sleep elsewhere for the early weeks or months (are you planning a bedside bassinet?) and you'll want to set it up there until she's ready to move to her own room.

FYI I'm buying the same crib and dresser again for my second baby! Just ordered them yesterday. 2 year old is still in the crib, and when he graduates from that we'll do the toddler bed conversion for another year or so before getting a "real" bed.

• Related Discussions

Nursery Pots Designed for Shipping?

Q

Comments (1)
    Found this system on the Urban Farmer site. May not be big enough for what you have in mind. live plant shipping container
    ...See More

Nursery help - design and layout

Q

Comments (6)
    Don't put anything an active child can pull over on himself in this room. That includes floor lamps etc. If the bookshelf is old and very heavy, you'll be fine; it not, it must be bolted to the wall. Is this room for play as well as sleep? If it's for play, low cubbies for toys are very useful. I'd get either a ceiling light or install a wall sconce for reading in that chair. Be sure you put that blind cord up VERY high - a child can easily hang himself from such. Better still, buy cordless blinds. No pictures over the crib - as soon as he can pull up and stand in his crib, it might come down on his head.
    ...See More

Wall paint design for baby nursery

Q

Comments (4)
    I can't find another source for the image, Houzz is not allowing me to upload pic Any way-. The bed wall is a sky blue wall with wide 6-7 inch white stripes. The other three walls are a creamy color that is three shades lighter than the beige carpeting. Basically, the similar tones of the three walls and the floor lessen the contrast and make the space feel larger. The room is accented with a dark blue dresser and the drapes hung to the ceiling are white with dark blue wavy trellis pattern. The bed is flanked by two white nightstands/ chests. White bedding with pale blue with white floral pillows and a navy accents pillow, and med blue and white wide striped sheet.
    ...See More

Nursery Design - Girls

Q

Comments (2)
    Very cute and colorful. I know they’re in trend now but I don’t get the acrylic crib slats. Seems the baby’s fingerprints, drool, and boogers would be all over lol. And seems kinda unsafe too. I’m glad my kids are grown and I don’t have to worry about it. 😂
    ...See More
  • Girlmom101
    Original Author
    last year

Yes we will have a bed side bassinet for the first 6 months or so!

• Girlmom101
    Original Author
    last year

Now I'm looking at having a name sign made.. these ones are 16" high.  Should I do it smaller?

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last year

What does that wall over the board and batten measure?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year
    last modified: last year

how many letters is the name?

I think that Cameron one is too large for that wall space.

This one you'd have to eyeball it since you're there in person.

What would 1/3 the size of the gray portion wall?

what do you think of this size?

(divide the gray painted portion into thirds. use the bottom row for the name size)

I was trying to find some w/the board and batten like you have. (you guys did a really nice job w/that!)

This style is pretty nice

(and I love the black w/the white! ) notice the hanging picture off to the side. you asked about this earlier.

Instead of the little table you were also asking about, what if you did an ottoman that was sturdy enough to hold things while you're in the rocker? something like this ^ might work.

or, do a little wood stool like this one. you can spray paint the legs yourself (Valspar spray paint has some cool colors. tape off the upper portion and just do the lower part. pick a contrasting color that goes w/your design)

another name size above the wainscot

I like this size (I think this ceiling is taller though)

this one is good size. proportional

This is a cute idea. you can buy those wooden letters and paint or decorate them in any way you like.

• Girlmom101
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you Beth! 

The name has 5 letters. I'd like to keep everything quite feminine.. do you think white letters would be best? If we decided not to do the name above.. what do you think about this cute banner across board and batten? 

I just worry where the crib is not centered with the wall that the letters above will look weird. 

I love the idea of the ottoman! 

I do have an extra shelf (same white one as book shelf.. do you know of an area I could put just one? 

I was afraid my paint above would look grey! It's actually sherwin williams aesthetic white!

• Girlmom101
    Original Author
    last year

I should also note.. I do have this as well! But when I hang it above crib there's not enough string to put on ceiling.. any ideas how to hang it?

• Girlmom101
    Original Author
    last year

Here are the 3 other walls in room that may need something?

• njmomma
    last year

No need to decorate every wall. Keep it simple and just decorate above the wainscoting.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last year

These are two sites I use for nursery art..simple and very feminine…would look so sweet above the crib.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

I think a soft blush lettering will be pretty as opposed to straight white.

don't you think the pink looks better?

you could even dip dye a portion of it w/silver or gold, or a darker pink

these are some whites that have a blush tone to them, or some deeper pink/mauves that would look nice w/the gray and the rug you have

if you get wood letters, you could do a painting treatment to them. paint a dark base color, go over it w/the lighter bush color, and lightly sand some parts so that you have wood/dark base showing through. coat w/a satin poly clear coat.

or, try a few of the diff pinks and white and try an ombre effect

or,

as for the mobile, get some clear fishing line, filiment wire, or something along those lines to lengthen the mobile.

you could also throw some beads on whatever you use to extend it for a little bling

I still like these shelves on the one side wall,

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last year

So many other choices than the child’s name…I would look at other options maybe be a bit more original so much out there to choose from…have fun!

• Girlmom101
    Original Author
    last year

Beth we would have them made from a business.. these are the colours, etc. They have. They said they could almost match any font. 

Thanks for the ideas to hang mobile. 

It's hard to have something instead of a name above the wainscotting as it's pretty high up.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last year

Can you tell us the measurement of the wall above the board and batten..pretty please…art looks very charming above board and batten.

• Susanne Woolley
    last year

Your nursery is looking just adorable! I love the idea of putting her name on the wall above her crib. I might leave some wall space open to be able to add pictures and art as she develops loves and interests in the world around her. The narrower wall that is open down to the floor could be the perfect place to hang a growth chart to measure and her record her height as she grows. You’ve created a warm and beautiful little nursery for her!

• Girlmom101
    Original Author
    last year

Susanne Woolley, I love the idea of a growth chart! Which wall were you thinking? Is this something I should get later on.. or now to out on wall

• Girlmom101
    Original Author
    last year

What do we think of this for this wall? I mean it will likely be covered by chair

• anj_p
    last year

I think if you actually want to mark height on it you will want something sturdier. We have this one and love it. 

https://woodfromthehood.com/shop/growth-charts/finished/growth-chart-elm-finished/

One of the things I've learned about parenting is to try to minimize the times you have to say no by avoiding things that will require you to say no, especially in your child's space. She will pull on that chart as soon as she can make her way over to it, and you will constantly be telling her no. Save your noes for the things that matter.

• arcy_gw
    last year

Which is again why that lamp needs to go!!! Safety has to be PARAMOUNT and you are fighting that for decor. Put the dimmer in the over head light. It's a super simple DIY. You will never regret it! Paint the chart on the wall--again super easy and inexpensive DIY.

• emilyam819
    last year

We have wooden growth charts, which are nice because they are removable. So if you ever move, you can take your growth chart with you.

• Girlmom101
    Original Author
    last year

Hi guys, for name above crib were looking at 12 inches high. Any ideas for font? This is what they offer.. I can either do this pretty pink or white. Name has 5 Letters and is old fashioned.

• Girlmom101
    Original Author
    last year

Hi everyone! For the name above crib we've decided on 12 inches high. And this is the font they offer. Please let me know which one I should choose for a little ladies name?

• Girlmom101
    Original Author
    last year

They also offer this pretty pink or white lettering.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

I like the script. just depends on the letters in the name (some are harder to read than others).

pick what You like

• Girlmom101
    Original Author
    last year

What do we think of these stains for a customized growth chart on this wall behind chair?

• Girlmom101
    Original Author
    last year

Or do I put it on this wall here...

• justcallmepool
    last year

You can always move it to a different wall when you start using it. I like it by the window for now, but next to the corner by dresser will probably an easier spot to use it when she's older. Like in 2-3 years haha and by then you'll have something new to hang by the window, like curtains. :)

As far as which style, my personal preference is the first one with white letters or the more natural one in the photo with the antique dresser. But IDK what will work best in your room. I'd probably stick with a classic look so it works with any changes over the years.

• Girlmom101
    Original Author
    last year

And Beth to answer your question 3 of the board and batten things is 4 feet!

• Girlmom101
    Original Author
    last year

Mobile is up

• Girlmom101
    Original Author
    last year

Here are the colour options for baby name and fonts.. any choices for the perfect pink?

• Girlmom101
    Original Author
    last year

These are the two I'm debating between for growth chart. Should I add more black to room and do black numbers or do I keep the white and wood look? It will be for this wall here

• tozmo1
    last year

Lovely room, it's really shaping up.

Probably because I'm old school or maybe just old, but I just don't get these growth charts. One of my fondest memories was Mom gathering my sister and me for our annual/biannual measurement. She'd press us against the wall, one at a time, get out the wooden ruler, steady it on our head, mark the spot on the wall with a pencil. Then we'd have to hold the end of the cloth tape measure on the spot while she bent down, carefully stretching the tape to take the measurement at the floor. Then she'd write the measurement on the spot, dated and our initials. Some how, "Stand here in front of this chart, got it, notate the date," just doesn't have the same charm of remembering your Mom as a young woman crawling on the floor, pulling the cloth tape taunt, gently admonishing us for moving the measuring tape as we dissolved into giggles.

Seems something is lost with a factory made growth chart. Sigh....

• emilyam819
    last year

More people move, so marks on the wall are not as practical as they once were. I like the wood and white.

• RedRyder
    last year

I also like the wood and white growth chart. For the baby’s name, maybe a darker pink will work (upper left one).

• anj_p
    last year

The growth chart we have was made from a fallen tree in our neighborhood by a local company, not a factory. And since we've lived in 3 houses with our 5 year old, I am glad we were able to take it with us. But really, I think most of what you are talking about @tozmo1 is pure nostalgia for your own experience. My DD still loves standing in front of hers to get her height marked. I am absolutely sure it doesn't matter to her that it's a sharpie on a piece of wood instead of a pencil mark on a wall, or that the measurement is already marked instead of pulled from a tape measure. I definitely don't think the materials will affect her own memories about it.

OP, I personally like the black but I don't like measurements in cm unless you live somewhere where cm are used. I also like when more than just the feet are numbered, since my DD can actually determine how tall she is by looking at it. Eventually she will understand feet and inches, but at this age she is just figuring out how to count by 10s.

• Girlmom101
    Original Author
    last year

For toy (stuffed animal) storage..  im looking at getting a fabric bin to throw them in.. where should I place it in the small room?

• Connecticut Yankeeeee
    last year

Hi Cc - would you consider a Toy Hammock? It attaches to walls. I actually crocheted one for my son and they love it. You can find them on Etsy too.

• justcallmepool
    last year

Put in on the right side end of the crib.

When my girl turned around 1-2, I built basically a big drawer that held toys to slide under her crib.
    But at first I just had a little basket that was lightweight she could get into herself. I’d hold it and she’d reach in for whatever. Sometimes she’d pull every single thing out. She still does that 8 years later 😂
    But it’s good to have it accessible for them imo.

• Girlmom101
    Original Author
    last year

Where do we like it?

• emilyam819
    last year

By the crib. But don’t expect it to stay there and don’t expect it to hold all the toys after age 1 🤣

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year
    last modified: last year

Cc, it's looking really nice. I like the last pic w/the basket, and your chonker in the other pic!) (but I think you have some ample time to worry about that placement! lol)

when is the name arriving?

• RedRyder
    last year

It looks good next to the crib. Won’t be that neat ever again once the baby arrives….. 😊

• Girlmom101
    Original Author
    last year

Name won't be here for a while.. getting our growth chart ruller in a week or 2.

• Girlmom101
    Original Author
    last year

Growth chart is done!

• Susanne Woolley
    last year

Awww, I love it!!

• Girlmom101
    Original Author
    last year

Rest of nursery

• emilyam819
    last year

It’s beautiful. When the baby gets a little older, you can set the monitor on the dresser and that should still be close enough.

• justcallmepool
    last year

I think it's perfect! You did a great job.

• RedRyder
    last year

It’s lovely! You did a great job making a sweet room for your little one.