SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ruth_orcasisland

Contemporary Pacific Northwest Home - Help with Exterior Colors :)

Ruth K
last year

We're building our retirement home in the San Juan Islands, Washington State. The house comes as a panelized kit which we will erect. The manufacturer sent a rendering of the home with cedar siding (photo 1), but we are choosing smooth fiber cement board with a 7 inch reveal for a more modern look and less maintenance. We have also decided that the beams, soffits, posts, and all of the upper level interior ceilings will be natural Douglas fir with a clear finish (photo 2, which is a home by the same manufacturer being built nearby). The weather is temperate (average winter temperature 37 degrees, summer 71 degrees, and 29 inches of annual rainfall) so landscaping can look beautiful for much of the year. I love hydrangeas, lavender, asters and would like an exterior color palette that will be a good background for purple flowers. Since all of the kit components will come pre-painted, stained, or sealed, I could really use some help choosing COLORS since there's no turning back once I place the order!

SIDING - there's not a ton of siding on this house due to so many windows and the panels above and below them. I am leaning towards a dark color such as SW 7048 Urbane Bronze. With its potential green undertone, it might go well on our lot (photo 6). Or BM HC-166 Kendall Charcoal? Open to any ideas?

SMOOTH FIBER CEMENT PANELS ABOVE & BELOW WINDOWS - open to ideas

WINDOWS (photo 5) - I'm thinking black outside (more modern look) and white inside. Open to ideas.

TRIM (BARGE & FASCIA, FRIEZE BOARD, CORNER BOARDS, BELLY BAND) - Open to ideas.

I truly appreciate any advice. Thanks so much!

Photo 1: Manufacturer's rendering of our home (west elevation) in cedar lap siding.

Photo 2: A kit home by the same company. Our soffits & beams will be the same natural Douglas fir.

Photo 3: West elevation faces the water view. Tons of light.

Photo 4: East elevation faces the road and a hillside beyond. Good light, but less than west view.

Photo 5: Window frame color choices

Photo 6: West-facing view - this was 9pm in late June (cedar, Douglas fir, and Madrona trees)

Comments (7)