SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bpath

Remember the mystery kabooms?

bpath
last year

Some time back, there was a thread or two about people waking up to a loud kaboom, like something really heavy falling, or maybe even a small explosion, only to find nothing amiss, and if there was someone else in the house, they didn’t hear it.

Well, it happened to me this morning, second time in about a year. I could have sworn a refrigerator fell over in the basement. The heat wasn’t on, so I know it wasn’t a crack in the heat exchanger (which as I recall from that problem, years ago, sounded a bit different).

Does this happen to anyone else?

Comments (23)

• maddielee
    last year

Our mystery loud sounds are usually the sound of electrical transformers blowing.

• Allison0704
    last year

We hear a boom every month or so, but it's aircraft or a test in the Gulf. Someone on NextDoor always asks "did anyone hear that loud boom?"

In the 70s, I remember waking up because my bed was shaking. I thought my sister had come into my room and kicked the mattress. I turned over to fuss at her and no one was there. The water in my goldfish's bowl was swaying. Turned out there was an explosion at a mine miles from our house.

• Related Discussions

Remembering Mitzi

Q

Comments (8)
    That reminds me of the time my mother left a pan of dog food out for someone to feed the dog. My brother came home after she left. He was used to eating raw hamburger and he thought that was what was in the pan and he ate the whole thing. I wasn't around when it was straightened out,but I heard about it. It has been years since the last time I remembered thinking about it. With four older brothers there never was a dull moment. Like the time one of them set the barn on fire and all got in trouble because no one snitched.
    ...See More

Remember Ma Nature?

Q

Comments (20)
    I think you miss read something, it was my understanding it was free to all who had kindle and you could load a kindle app to you pc, cel phone, I pad ect. Sorry you didn't get it.
    ...See More

A Brit mystery TV series / a US mystery book series

Q

Comments (15)
    DH and I liked Bletchley and "Bomb Girls". Any day now we are going to start speaking Received English from overexposure to Masterpiece Theater. We are watching "Mr. Selfridge" and "Call the Midwiife" and about to begin "Father Brown". "Breathless" was also just promoted on our PBS station. Oh, and we just finished Season 6 of "Doc Martin". Ta-ta! Time to sound the gong an hour before dinner is served. (I'll be changing into my robe and slippers.)
    ...See More

Remember my dying mystery Medusa? Progress report!

Q

Comments (4)
    Thanks, Rina! I'm really excited to see how it fares over the summer. It's hard to believe that I can fully recuperate it, but now that I have some evidence of regained health I have more patience. Very exciting.
    ...See More
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    last year

No booms, but I have laid down on the bed and felt a cat moving around and getting comfortable at the foot of my bed, though there are no cats in the room...

• Tina Marie
    last year

It hasn't happened to me, but my husband's mother will swear strange things have happened. Once it was someone on her deck, she even called 911. Another time she said her bedroom light had "exploded" although no signs of anything, but she insisted my husband replace the light. It was something else recently, oh! her tv fell off the shelf, all by itself. The tv actually was in the floor (my husband saw it), but something had to cause it. There have been other things, we think she may dream something happening (particularly the light). She even had an electrician come check the wiring. ???

• nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10
    last year

Our firecracker and cherry bomb season is now c five months of the year — not just for Independence Day. (Covid — boredom? — promoted more explosions in more months and it hasn’t lessened.) So hearing loud booms late at night or early in the morning is not unusual May - September. Then add in the week before and after New Years.

• party_music50
    last year

Exploding head syndrome. It’s a real thing — I have it.

• bpath
    Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

Party music, that's the term I was trying to remember.

We have had Kabooms where our local fb group chimes in. Once, it was an actual explosion at a facility about 15 miles away owned by someone in town! Sometimes it's fireworks or a . Sometimes there's no definitive answer.

But now I'm off to Google exploding head syndrome.

• gigitn
    last year

I have exploding head syndrome, too. It's creepy when it happens!

• Allison0704
    last year

DD2 has exploding head syndrome. The first time she experienced she heard glass shattering and a crashing noise. She thought someone was breaking into her house and called 911. It used to happen a few times a week, but a couple years ago, it went down to once a month or so. She usually hears thunder or crashing noises.

About six monts ago I woke up thinking I heard our pool alarm (loud high pitched if a first floor door or window is opened). Our grandson was here, so I checked on him and the pool. Nothing. I chalked it up to a dream, same with a few other random times I've woken up over the years from "a noise." But I do not think I have the syndrome.

• User
    last year

A couple of years ago we had a fireball streak across the sky. We heard a loud boom, the outside metal spiral staircase shook and the next day it was reported that they were looking for meteorites in a field 20 kilometres away.

We also get birds slamming into our windows at this time of year, and spring, when the sun is lower in the sky. Some can really make a loud thud. ☹️

• bpath
    Original Author
    last year

I worry that some morning I could wake up to a kaboom, attribute it to exploding head syndrome, only to find that it really was something!

• Tina Marie
    last year

Exploding Head Syndrome - I had never heard of that. I still think MIL's is dreams as she doesn't hear something every time. The time she thought someone was breaking in, she said she saw two people on her deck.

• Oakley
    last year

Annie, that happens to me all the time! Enough to make me look around.

Bpath, are you in a rural area with oil wells or gas plants? They let out booms. Or earthquakes? Always check your local news after you hear one and see if something happened.

• bpath
    Original Author
    last year

Oakley, suburbia! We do have earthquakes, but the last time it was noticieable to me I was 11 and it was simply like a truck was rumbling past.

People do report occasional kabooms on the local Fb group, usually several people say they heard it, too (sometimes there are multiple posts within a minute of each other) and sometimes they are explained and sometimes not. But yesterday morning, i heard it and Dh did not. There is no way he could have missed it, if it were real.

• gsciencechick
    last year

Sometimes temperature inversions can create a boom or rumble from the airplanes. Bpath if you are near the airport or where planes fly over that can happen a lot.

• bpath
    Original Author
    last year

Gscience, that’s very interesting! There used to be a naval air station nearby; when I was a kid we would occasionally hear a sonic boom! But it’s closed now. Planes do fly over, with a big hub 25 miles away, but that’s a very distinct sound, especially the full freighters that depart around 3 or 4 in the morning! Next time I hear a kaboom, though, I hope I remember to pull up Flightradar and see if something is overhead. (Our kids live right under the approach, I’ll have to ask how it sounds.)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    last year

I occasionally hear loud booms when I'm sleeping, as well. Took me years to realize that the problem was me and not something else.

Lately, I have had the pleasure of auditory hallucinations that bring me, for my listening pleasure, all kinds of music. It's never loud enough for me to quite hear it but I can usually discern the genre of music, a rhythm, sometimes a melody. It only happens when I'm wide awake. These musical interludes never last long, thankfully, and I'm not bothered by it.

• sjerin
    last year

Rhizo, that happened to my mom when she was in rehab. We thought she was hearing a radio in someone else's room, but she insisted that wasn't the case.

• littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
    last year

Years ago when we lived in a limestone house, we heard them. It was natural limestone, not veneer, but it needed some tuckpointing. In winter, rain/sleet would get in tiny cracks and freeze in the night. The expanding ice would cause loud cracks and booms.

Scared us silly the first time.

• User
    last year

@petalique re: auditory hallucinations -- that happens to me! usually it's a high pitched beep, kind of like when the dishwasher is finished but I know nothing was running. it doesn't happen often, and it weirds me out every single time. it sounds so real!

• Ally De
    last year

OMG Rhizo, I get that too! I'll hear a melody - it's faint, but yet clear if that makes any sense at all. I'm not day dreaming, I'm wide awake when it happens - and I don't think I'm that far off my rocker (yet anyway). It does sound like a radio playing in the distance, except there is no radio playing and it's all in my head. I've gone in search of said radio before and found nothing.

Like you said, it doesn't happen often and it doesn't usually last very long either. No idea what my poor brain is hearing when it does happen. I've wondered if it's my own heart beat, or my brain turning some distant sound into a more recognizable melody. Who knows.

I've also had the loud crash wake me up at night. That too doesn't happen often thankfully, because THAT is terrifying. Most times I can never find anything, so I assume it's me dreaming it and waking myself up. However one time a large box did fall over in our attached garage...and so now that it was a real sound once, I'm forever concerned about what the heck blew up or got crashed into, etc. when it happens.

Fortunately I have dogs, so I take my cues from them. If they're still sleeping soundly I assume it was a dream. If we're all up looking at each other like WTH was that, then I know I have to go investigate. LOL.