SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
kristy_melton26

Work with what I have

Kristy Melton
last month
last modified: last month

I want to know what i can do with tge stuff i allready have. to make it pop.

Comments (19)

• jackowskib
    last month

You already have pretty colors going on and looks nice. I think the carpet floor is distracting from seeing the flow of color. I would save up to get same new flooring throughout the space.

Kristy Melton thanked jackowskib
  • nickel_kg
    last month

I like your use of tans and teals -- pretty colors. I'm not fond of tiled floors throughout a home, so the neutral carpet covering much of it in the living area is good.

Your individual elements are nice, but I agree there might be a better flow. For instance it looks like traffic is funneled between the tv and the couch -- that could be frustrating when watching a program (but I do like the distance and height of the tv-couch pairing). If you could provide a floorplan that would help people make better suggestions.

FWIW here are some questions: the three-piece tv cabinet, can the pieces be used individually? Do you use the fireplace, or could the tv possibly be placed in front of it? Does the fishtank need to stay exactly there?

And paint -- what about brighter and/or color on walls?

Kristy Melton thanked nickel_kg
  • joycedjay
    last month

Move the way too small area rug. Maybe to the entry

Kristy Melton thanked joycedjay
  • mojavemaria
    last month

Kristy I think your house looks very nice! But…..there is a lot of brown even for a brown lover like me.

I wonder if you would consider painting some pieces perhaps even your fireplace mantle. If you pried of the diagonal pieces and stuck on horizontal pieces towards the top and then painted it would update the look IMHO. Then you could paint the aquarium stand and that would help alleviate the brown overload.

You also have a lot of little nicknacks evenly spaced on different surfaces. If these have special meaning to you I get it but if they are just decor fewer larger pieces would be more impactful.

Does your foyer feel cramped? If so removing that shelf unit would make it feel more spacious. I‘m like Jan and want to see a coffee table in front of your couch but I guess that‘s a no go. You do have a lovely home as is but these are just things I would do.

Kristy Melton thanked mojavemaria
  • lisedv
    last month

Of course I'm just judging from the pictures (might look different in person) but the fireplace looks all alone stuck in a corner, the TV wall unit looks like it's sitting in the entryway, the console and mirror next to the sofa looks like it belongs in an entryway, missing a coffee table, and the solid colour area rug is distracting.

I think the main problem with all of this is how the furniture is positioned in the room but without a floorplan with dimensions it's not possible to give any suggestions.

Kristy Melton thanked lisedv
  • Ruth
    last month

It seems to me as if your room is facing the wrong way. The fireplace should be the focal point. Furniture should not all be cramped into one tiny space dominated by your large entertainment center. Seems to me the TV should go where the aquarium is or over the fireplace. If there is no wall space for the sofa it looks like it could be floated somewhere in the room in that area. The seating area could then be anchored with a nice area rug. Another problem I see is your sofa and chairs are very casual/informal but the rest of your furniture is more sophisticated. I know you can’t buy new furniture but just saying.

Kristy Melton thanked Ruth
  • lynzy1
    last month

Thread 3? Same room, no feedback from OP. I think she’s trolling us …

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last month

kristy, wth? why you wasting our time ?

Actually, she has FIVE posts going w/the same questions.

Kristy, hello? Time to put away the computer and take the advice already given to you.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

Probably a good thing Sophie is gone. Would have been brutal........WAH.

Sometimes the only great answer to a space is a lottery win. .......and a contractor.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

Wait ...... Her second thread, when I asked why are you starting another post. stay in the same thread...

Answer?

Kristy MeltonOriginal Author

3 hours ago

I do not like that at all lol

My answer? Ignore her. It's bratville /whinytown. Get a job, get out of the house, save money and stay off the computer sweetie.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last month

I saw that jan. who the heck knows what people are doing. JMJ lol.

Looking for reassurance no doubt.

• everdebz
    last month

And on we go.... I wonder about this bringing in brown, etc. instead of the mirror.

The entry's metals are one too many - in person, do you like the rosy/copper art more than the gold vase? I'd remove the gold items.

"Balanced I" by Ellie Roberts, Canvas Print, 26"x26" · More Info

Balanced V by Ellie Roberts Canvas Art Print · More Info

• everdebz
    last month

Here's photo of the 2 styles: chairs with gentle curves, mirror, beaded chandelier // also modern chair, bright colors, contemporary looks.

So to use what you have, tell what you've thought of changing.

Kristy's Ideas · More Info

• everdebz
    last month

"Sorry" to say that I have to post a more versatile color, I happened to find.

https://www.lakeside.com/product/jersey-stretch-slipcovers/LS_86559

• everdebz
    last month

I'm not a pro... but if adding depth with rod/curtains, if adding a backdrop of sorts for bright chair/lamp -- it might seem better idk.

Here's just a simple look-

Rod Alma Rod, Gold, 3/4"x78.7" · More Info

Open Weave Natural Linen Sheer, 50"x96" · More Info

Tivoli IKAT Teal Aqua Microfiber Curtains, Set of 2, 52"x96" · More Info

• everdebz
    last month

My movie on tv is over... truly, best of luck to you! --deb

Tergaline Double Wide Sheer Curtain Panel With Weighted Hem, Ivory, 108"x96" · More Info

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

Or you could not reply again until feedback from the op............: ) Which might include the thank you words.

• tracefloyd
    29 days ago

YOU HAVE ANOTHER THREAD RIGHT NOW CALLED

"IS THS A OK LAYOUT"

WHAT THE....???!!!

Kristy you have not tried ONE suggestion given to you from all your previous posts. NOT ONE. The room is exactly the same, You keep posting the same exact posts, with the exact same photos but never take one shred of advice. Why are you doing this to us? WHY?

AND you string us along by liking and thanking every single comment like we are supposed to be "Oh joy, Kristy likes me". You bring ridicule upon yourself.