SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jojoco_gw

Help! Packing for a Trip

jojoco
last year

I am leaving on Friday for eight days in Portugal (including travel days). I always overpack and want to avoid that. The weather will be in the 70's during the day and generally high 50's at night. It will be a casual vacation with maybe one (if that) occasion to wear a dress. The hotels we are staying at do have laundry service, but I don't plan on using them.

I am planning on mainly wearing jeans ( a black pair, a blue pair and an olive pair) with different tops that generally vibe peasant blouse. I will pack a few t shirts as well.

I am also thinking of packing a couple of cotton sweaters and or one cozy warm one.

A pair of yoga pants for lounging

A swimsuit (which will probably stay . packed

A pair of black flats, a pair of tulip shoes and I'll wear black skeechers.

I have a LBD that travels well.

2 night shirts

I am bringing a lightweing structured windbreaker with a hidden hood.

How many pairs of pants should I bring?

Shirts?

Sweaters?

What other essentials do I need (other than toiletries)?

Thanks for any advice!

Jo

Comments (56)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last year
    last modified: last year

I don't plan my outfits; that is why I bring extra. IME things can change. Like in Croatia, i ended up wearing sneakers even tho it was sooooo hot, but sandals alone were not a good idea on old slippery, worn, steep steps.

jojoco thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • Tina Marie
    last year

Timely because we leave in a couple of weeks for a 12-14 day road trip. Since we are driving, we of course have more room for more luggage. This is a very casual trip with lots of outdoor activities. Not planning any fancy restaurants, etc. We are starting on the Blue Ridge Parkway to the Shenandoah Valley and then up the coast to Oak Island, NC. I am taking 4 3/4 sleeve tees, 4 short sleeve tees, two nicer tops, 4 full length pants, 3 cropped pants, a pair of ankle pants and 1 pair of shorts. Undies for each day + I always take an extra pair of undies and socks (if needed) for each of us. I will take at least 6 bras and 6 nighties as I do not like to wear either of those more than 2 days; plus a robe. We will have beach umbrella/chairs/swimsuits, etc. (beach attire,towels, etc. will have a separate duffle bag. Toiletries in toiletry bag with large plastic bag inside to contain any meds. Two pairs of slip on sketchers (clog look) - one black, one white (or gray), one pair cute shoes, one pair flip-flops. I'm also throwing in a denim shirt and a chambray shirt and a couple of tanks, in case we have some cooler weather. No, I don't pack light, but we really don't have a need to. We will also have access to laundry services and may or may not use. Temperatures may vary in areas (mountain/beach). We'll each throw a jacket in the backseat LOL!

• Related Discussions

Family camping trip, minimal packing room, help!

Q

Comments (8)
    For our first tent trip, our kids were 2.5 and 4. I had no idea if they would like it, so we went only for 3 nights to a fairly close camp (about an hour away). We all loved it, and have since camped at the same camp exclusively. Of course, that was only 2 years ago, so we've got some time to find other camps! You didn't mention what kind of vehicle you have other than a car. What kind of car? You may be hard pressed to pack all you need into a car. We have a station wagon with no rooftop carrier, and we barely fit all we needed for just the three nights. We did not take bikes or scooters or firewood or dog . (We had one at the time.) We did shop for the perishable once we got to the camp, so I was able to use the big cooler to pack other stuff. The biggest volume hoggers were the tent, cooler, food container, tool/utensil/misc container, sleeping bags, clothing bags, and dining fly. I tried to condense as much as I could in each of the containers, like packing only as much oatmeal or sugar or Captain Crunch in one Gladware container as we would use for three days. Condense condense condense!!! That was my mantra for the three days it took me to pack!! We packed every cubic inch of that vehicle. Under the seats, under the kid's feets, under my feet in the passenger side, between the kids, between me and my husband; we cozied some smaller items in with the spare tire and in every crevice we could find. It was a project! The next year, we broke down and took two vehicles so we could bring the bikes, and skip the shopping trip (it was SO expensive at that grocery store near the camp...duh!) This year, we have a new F150 truck, so we may be able to pare down to one vehicle again! We'll see! My husband kinda babies that truck and is hesitant to take it into the "wilderness" of the state park! mozy
    ...See More

Packing, Wedding & Trip Report . . . and Pics

Q

Comments (6)
    Thanks All :~) Terriks: My tote has a strap handle that slipped over the wheeled carry-on's handle, but the tote kept slipping off sideways. The bungee cord Chickadee mentioned would probably have made things easier. I'll remember that next time. Thank you! Lynn
    ...See More

Help - dress me for my FL trip!

Q

Comments (12)
    Lovin' your wardrobe! As for the 'fancier places? That animal print jacket, with a silk tank top & dressy slacks in the taupe/tan color in the jacket, along with black strappy sandals & bold, gold jewelry-classy!!! The secret in March is to 'layer' so you can take off what you don't need-pending the weather.Capris, a short sleeved or sleeveless top, a jacket or sweater & you're golden. Have fun!!
    ...See More

How to pack for CA trip

Q

Comments (26)
    The trip was great! DH& I hadn't been on a week-long vacation in 10 years. It was indeed very cool in SF. I was prepared with plenty of warm clothes but was still surprised at how cool it was. I think I took off my coat once. We didn't get as much sight-seeing done on the trip as I'd hoped. DH is a more relaxed vacationer than me. I like to get up early & see as many sights as as possible; he prefers a more laid-back schedule. We enjoyed Chinatown and Pier 39, but I'm sure most everyone who goes to SF goes to both of those. The Golden Gate Fortune Cookie Factory was quite interesting. We like jazz, so we very much enjoyed Les Joulins Jazz Bistro. After leaving SF, we stayed at the Gaige House in Glen Ellen. We were in one of their Zen Suites, which was just beautiful. We would definitely stay there again. The Sonoma Wine Trolley was very nice (they have one in Napa too). We went to four wineries and had a lovely catered lunch on the grounds of Buena Vista Winery. Each winery gave us a short tour and tasting. I highly recommend the blending class at Ravenswood. They teach you about what different wines do to a blend and then you get to make your own and they bottle it for you. If you're a Peanuts fan, the Charles M. Schultz Museum is nice. The Petrified Forest was quite interesting as well. This post was edited by kittiemom on Thu, Jul 4, 13 at 14:38
    ...See More
  • RNmomof2 zone 5
    last year

Make sure the jeans are ones that can be worn several times without looking like you have worn them several times! Some of mine look awful after one wear and some can be worn numerous days without looking bad.

I have never done laundry in a sink when on vacation. I usually feel when I make it back to the hotel room I'm collapsing! I guess if you really wanted to cut done items, some of your things could be hand washed. Bras, night shirt, tees to name a few.

I also feel that often on vacation clothes may be worn more times than your would do at home. That's how we come back from vacation with clean clothes in our bags at least!

• eld6161
    last year

When we went to Costa Rica for 3 weeks, I washed things in the sink. Even though my suitcase was stuffed, when you are in a hot climate you can't really wear things twice.

• bpath
    last year

Eight days? I'd probably wear one pair of pants and pack another. Pack a mix of tops for 7 days and a nicer one for evening. One sweater that goes with everything. One lbd. One jacket. 8 undies and socks. Sneakers and my comfy black leather Clarks, wearing one and packing the other. Nightwear and slipper socks, no lounge pants. A little laundry detergent. And that's it. I used to way overpack.

• OutsidePlaying
    last year

I seldom take more than one pair of jeans on vacation unless we are traveling by car and I can pack as much as I want to pack. For those temps I wear joggers on the plane (something that won’t touch the floor) and wear my heaviest jacket or sweater, take a 2-3 pair or lightweight black or dark gray pants, and some lightweight long and short sleeved pullover knitwear that will mix with the pants (mostly casual but maybe 1-2 a little dressier). The sweater or jacket would be all you need for the evening. I have taken a dress or skirt that can be dressed up just in case and pack rainwear. I would definitely take or wear at lease one pair of comfy and thicker soled shoes if you will be walking on uneven streets or ground. I dont know what tulip shoes are but they sound cute.

I am a chronic over-packer, just-in-case traveler, but i’m doing better. I do wear most pants more than once on longer overseas trips.

• jojoco
    Original Author
    last year

I think "tulip shoes" sounds cuter than they actually are. But travellers swear by them for comfort and grip factor and Lisbon and Porto are known for their trecherous cobblestone streets. I'll be ready.

They should go with all my day outfits.

• eld6161
    last year

I have two pairs. The beige and navy. I like how they look, considering they are a sneaker.

When you wear them, you forget you are wearing shoes.

• lisaam
    last year

A scarf or pashmina for the chilly airport, plane and at night if needed. We overnighted in an airport in July and I shivered.

• nicole___
    last year

I wear a T-shirt to bed & it's also day wear when traveling. I'd pack my long sleeved flannel shirt. I can belt it & it doubles as a jacket with a T-shirt under it and...roll up the sleeves. I always pack a bandana. The bandana can be an instant turtleneck...or a clean up rag or an Ace bandage substitute. A butterfly hair clip...for a dip in the spa. A wrist watch, earrings, small necklace.

• nekotish
    last year

I am tring so hard to get past over-packing. I get really annoyed with myself when I bring home a bunch of stuff I have never worn. I am working very hard on a capsule wardrobe and a smaller suitecase. Mind you, we do not holiday with porters and bellboys, etc., we are usually schlepping our own luggage, so the smaller, the better!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    last year

I've used panty liners to keep my underpants fresh so I can pack fewer. I've packed a small bottle of febreeze for fabrics to freshen a top after I've worn it so I need fewer tops. That way I'd need not do any laundry.

Basically, I'd bring 2 jeans and another pair of pants that can be a little dressier. I'd bring maybe 6 tops to make it through all the vacation days. I'd bring a cardigan sweater, a pullover cotton weight sweater, a fleece jacket and an unlined rain jacket so it can work for whatever weather. I'd have 2 scarves to keep me warmer or to dress up a plain outfit or to throw over my head if it drizzles or which can be tied onto the purse if it gets warmer. I don't know how dressy you need to get, but either a skirt that works with the tops and/or a light weight cotton dress that is easy to pack that can be used for a dressier dinner. Key is to have most of these items color coordinated so it all mostly works together.

Here was my packing wardrobe for a 12 day river cruise in Europe. I never did wear the gray trousers....2 jeans, black yoga pants that can be worn out, 2 skirts...

9 different tops

2 scarves, a plain cardigan and a dressy one and coordinating jewelry.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    last year

IIRC, I think I packed a light weight cotton dress too.

• terezosa / terriks
    last year

I would bring one pair of jeans and 1 or 2 pair of lighter weight pants. I would get hot if I were doing a lot of walking in jeans in 70+ degree weather.

I would make sure that my shoes have good grip - lots of cobblestone sidewalks in Portugal! Beautiful, but can be treacherous if wet.

I prefer sandals and a dress for those daytime temperatures.

Where in Portugal will you be?

If you are on Facebook there's a good Travel Portugal group.

• Tina Marie
    last year

Undies are one of the smallest things you can pack. lay them inside another item or roll and tuck in corners.

• Kswl
    last year

If you want to truly pack light, just take a few outfits and have your soiled clothing laundered once at a hotel. It’s not that expensive, and if it puts less stress and strain on you when stowing your bag here and there, why not? Fewer clothes also mean more room for an extra pair of shoes, which can be the making or breaking of a trip that involves a lot of sightseeing and walking. Nothing about hand washing pants in a hotel room or Febrezing clothes so they don’t smell says ”vacation” to me.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

Vacation is supposed to be special! Not survivalist. No thx to lowering the laundry standards on a trip. Though hotel laundry is not a bargain … once paid $10 to launder one pr of toddler socks.

• jojoco
    Original Author
    last year

We're doing three nights in Porto and then four nights in Lisbon. We took advice here and booked at the Yeatman in Porto. It's just outside of Porto, but the views of the river are killer and it is right near several port tasting houses.

The Lisbon part of the trip will find me soloing much of the time. Dh is there for a conference, so I am trying to fill my days. I've signed up for a 5 1/2 hour eating and walking tour on Wednesday and am planning on a sight seeing day on Thursday. Not exactly sure where but likely Alfama neighborhood and shopping. Friday my dh will be done in the afternoon so we have dinner plans at a cool place where you sit dockside and hope you don't fall in. I'm likely on my own for dinners on Weds and Thurs so I'll have to figure out what I want to do. I'm actually excited to venture out on my own.

The packing tips are great and I'm reevaluating my needs. But, as Mtn suggested, having more to choose from is also a nice option. We really won't be schlepping anything this trip once we arrive in Portugal. We have a driver who will meet us at the airport and take us to Porto with a couple of stops on the way (and lunch). He's going to also take us on another day to the Duoro Valley for a boat ride and wine tour. The next day he will take us south to Lisbon. The Lisbon hotel is also not centrally located but it has a beautiful garden and is an easy uber ride to Central Lisbon.

I can't wait to see it all!

• bpath
    last year

Mtn, I can only imagine why one would need to launder toddler socks, and I think I’d just buy new ones!

• bbstx
    last year

Jojo, before you leave, download the the app for the Gulbenkian Museum https://gulbenkian.pt/museu/en/visit/ . Wander into the lobby of the Four Seasons Ritz just to see the orchids (assuming they are still there)

I use The Vivienne Files template for capsule packing. I do 2 colors. My main colors are black in the winter and navy in the summer plus a second color.

I generally limit myself to 3 pair of shoes: trainers (wear on the plane), flats, and sandals. I carry a small empty spray bottle. When I get where I’m going, I buy a shot of vodka at the bar and have the bartender put it in my spray bottle. It will freshen clothes and not leave an after-smell like Febreeze (old theater costume trick). I also dampen the knees of my jeans, then hang them from the hem. It helps keep the knees from bagging.

I do not send laundry out, as a rule. I’m not above rinsing out a pair of undies, a bra, and or a lightweight nightgown myself.

I like packing efficiently. It is a personal challenge.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    last year

Hahah! I'd rather spritz a shirt and wear it again on the flight home than spend any time at all doing laundry on vacation. And having it done at the hotel can be very expensive and not how I want to spend my vacation dollars. Also more difficult if one is changing hotels a lot on the trip. I'd hardly consider that "survivalist". Rather for me it simplifies things greatly, which allows me to focus on sightseeing and doing, not wasting time on mundane things. Outfits are essentially chosen ahead so selecting them on the trip is fast and easy. I don't travel that often, so when I do, I want to maximize my time doing things I can only do when I'm there, and spending time messing in a closet or a suitcase isn't one of them.

I also wanted to mention that in my travel wardrobe, I mixed button front shirts and tees. That way I had options to layer the pieces if it was cooler...like a camp shirt thrown over a sleeveless top...or a sleeveless top serving as a vest over a collared shirt. It's surprising how many combos you can get out of a few pieces when they all work together.

On one of our trips, guys were required to have jackets, so one fellow brought along his oldest jacket with plans to throw it out there and not pack it home, leaving more room for souvenirs. I thought that was very practical, though it entailed him being in a tired jacket for the pics. Not what I'd do, but each to their own.

• OutsidePlaying
    last year

Well, I feel like an idiot. I have a pair of those ’tulip’ shoes in black and didn’t know they were called that. They are comfy, I just have some others I find even more comfortable and versatile.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

Mtn, I can only imagine why one would need to launder toddler socks, and I think I’d just buy new ones!

Yes, that would have been far cheaper, though depending on where you are, it can be a pain to find such things. I can't recall why we had them washed --- probably just got thrown in with something else. I did remember the silly pricing!

Annie I hear you, but wearing clothes that are not as clean as you would at home veers too close to survivalist for me.

LOL the Four Seasons (oddly named the Four Seasons Ritz). That was where I stayed in Lisbon, nearly 20 yrs ago. I was en route to business in Barcelona and took both my Mom and sister. My poor Mom fell on the cobblestones and broke her arm. She got great care, for $11 total. Bring sensible shoes!

• terezosa / terriks
    last year

I took the Hop On Hop Off bus my first day in Lisbon - too tired from jet lag to do much walking

And then I saw this bus drive right into the river and wished that I had taken it instead!

• colduphere
    last year

I’m very tempted to order these for travelling. Not sure if anyone has experience with them. Vessi shoes. They are waterproof and come highly recommended.

https://ca.vessi.com/products/womens-weekend-marble-white

Also I always take a bathing suit. It often remains unused because I’m not much of a water baby but once in a while I've enjoyed a swim in a surprising place or a hot tub or sauna that was unexpected. They are small and one of those ”rather be looking at it than looking for it” items for me.

• Kswl
    last year

At most hotels there is same day laundry service if the bag is picked up before 9 am. If you spill something on a nice garment wouldn’t you opt for laundry or dry cleaning so the stain would not set before you got home to deal with it?

Hotel laundry may be expensive but I like to look my best on vacation so I take my favorite / nicest outfits. I don’t take gardening clothes or stuff I’d leave behind. That seems bizarre. (This is about the guy who took his oldest sport jacket for what was arguably the most dress up event of the trip!)

Terriks, we have been on several of those duck tours and have enjoyed them.

• graywings123
    last year

I belong to a Facebook group called something like "Women over 50 traveling alone" and a regular theme is traveling light with just a carry-on. I need to learn to pare down, but just a carry-on sounds almost impossible.

I like those Vessi shoes that colduphere posted. But I want the sole to be almost unflexing for walking on cobblestones.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    last year

Well, kswl, a) my clothes are not that valuable; b) I will try to clean up a spot myself...I usually bring a "to go" spot remover in my bag; c) I have very little that needs dry cleaning except maybe some blazers which I find too formal for most occasions, and haven't worn in years...funerals maybe. d) I usually wear a shirt at home for 2 days before washing it unless I've been doing something especially sweaty or dirty like gardening, so to get 2 days out of a shirt while traveling isn't a stretch for me. If you are showering daily and wearing antiperspirant, and not in oppressive heat, shirts in general are fine for 2 days of wearing. Pants for 3.

From Whirlpool: How often should you wash clothes you wear daily?

Clothes like jeans, sweaters and jackets can be worn multiple times before they need to be washed again. Still, it’s important to know how often you should wash your clothes to help ensure they look their best. Also, keep in mind that any stained or soiled clothes should be washed as soon as possible. Here are some basic guidelines on how often to wash clothes:

• Shirts and blouses: after 1-2 wearings
    • Dress pants or slacks: after 2-3 wearings
    • Jeans: after 4-5 wearings
    • Sweaters: up to 6 wearings, if worn with an undershirt; 1-2 wearings if worn without an undershirt
    • Suits/blazers/casual jackets: after 5-6 wearings
    • Workout clothes: after 1 wearing
    • Sleepwear: after 2-3 wearings

Washing clothes less often is good for the environment and good for the clothes. While I won't go as far as the CEO of Levi's ( https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/fashion/levi-s-ceo-explains-why-you-should-never-wash-your-jeans-a6881031.html ) I will get a week out of a pair of jeans at home before washing.

It also depends on what kind of traveling we're doing. If it's just DH and I hitting national parks and going on hikes, we are far more casual and pack fewer items than if taking a 2-week tour with the same group of people that includes fancy dinners and such.

• just_terrilynn
    last year

If you plan on doing a lot of walking or light hikes you can get more use out of your shirts before they need a launder by packing a few cotton nude colored camisoles.. Kohl's and a few others used to have them cheap. They absorb some body sweat so shirts don't get stinky. It's easier to rinse those out if need be.

• nini804
    last year

😂 I drive dh insane bc he is a light packer. I am not. I am unapologic about it. I tell dh he knew what kind of girl I was when he married me…it’s not like he got a pig in a poke or whatever that saying is. I need options, and I need cute shoes. I want to be comfortable when I travel and to me, being comfortable means looking cute and liking my outfits. 😂 I gladly roll my many bags over the cobblestones to get them to the hotel with no complaints. Dh pretty much has given up at this point.

So, I am no help to you re: packing…but I definitely want to wish you happy travels! Sounds so fun!

• Tina Marie
    last year

Hahaha @ratherbesewing! That never happens to me! @just_terrilynn that is a good idea as many of our trips include lots of outdoor activities. Not sure I'd want to do that in warmer climates, but I'm fine taking plenty of shirts with me ha!

I don't care what Whirlpool or Levi's says, I'm not wearing the same item of clothing for 5 - 7 days unless it were an absolute necessity (like I'm stranded on an island) : )

• nekotish
    last year

I think one thing tht has not been addressed here is the different budgets we all have for travelling. We are of the mind that we would rather have a longer holiday in lesser accommodations so B&Bs or Air B&B's for the most part. We basically sleep and shower in our accommodations and make our reservations accordingly. Not sure I have ever stayed in a hotel, other than on business trips that offers laundry service.

• bbstx
    last year

Ratherbesewing, I hate when I come home with several unworn outfits! Makes me feel like I lost the game. The woman who writes The Vivienne Files said you should always look at what your brought back unworn, what your actually wore, and figure out why so that you can pack more efficiently next time.

I have mentioned, before I start packing, I make a spreadsheet of what I’m going to wear each day, divided by day and evening. I do it so I know that I have enough clothes with me and so that I vary what I wear from day to day.

• just_terrilynn
    last year

Tina Marie, the trick to the camisole is the fabric. A breathable cotton is good for warm weather and the manmade fabrics with spandex for cold chilly weather. I once made the mistake of wearing a cami with manmade fabric & spandex on a warm day hike. Not good. Weather in the 70’s is cotton time.

• rubyclaire
    last year

I'm no help either. I've tried to pack lighter and then cram my carry-on to the max. And I dislike shlepping a carry-on around the airport and struggling to get it in the overhead compartment. I just don't see the appeal. However, when DD and I met my DB and his family in Paris, his first comment wash "Who's visiting Paris and who's moving here?".

Good luck jojo - sounds like a great trip!! I love a little solo time on a trip so I hope you enjoy that as well.

• Tina Marie
    last year

Haha terri! I'm warm natured. I don't think I'll need one for this trip, but I might order from Kohls for future travel. Thanks!

@nekotish many hotels have laundry service or at least a laundry room for guests. From Air B&B or VRBO we rent a condo, cottage or small house for the two of us. I can't remember ever having one without a washer/dryer, although I've rarely used one. But, I like having the option if I need it.

Another consideration is flying vs driving. We don't need to pack light. Since we are making several stops we are staying mostly in hotel type settings this trip. One is a beautiful lodge we stayed in earlier and just knew fall would be beautiful there. We'll be taking beach chairs and an umbrella too!

I don't map out what I'm going to wear, I'm not that structured. I just make sure I have enough with me. It would be different if we were flying (which we do not like).

I know everyone is getting excited for travel!!

• salonva
    last year

I just want to wish you a wonderful trip. I'm sure you'll love it and as long as you have good walking shoes and a jacket or sweater if it gets cold, everything you listed will be great. I do like to be able to have options so I do end up tossing in extras ( skirt, dress, shoes you name it) at the last minute.

I have found though as long as I have proper seasonal clothing, it's a bit easier day to day when there are fewer options to consider.

In other words, it's all good.

Enjoy.

• jojoco
    Original Author
    last year

Ruby, I used to love doing things solo--In college I traveled Europe by myself for a few weeks. (Well, not completely by myself as people (guys) kept trying to "help" me.) Although doing a lot of solo activities in a foreign country is a bit out of my comfort zone now, I am actally looking forward to it. Mostly. Poor dh. He feels so badly that he is "ditching" me (his words, not mine.) We both expected other spouses to come too, but it didn't work out that way. I actually feel badly . for him--Oh, the sights I will see!

Tuesday night is now booked with a cooking class from 6:30 -10. We'll be making a traditional meal with fish, meat, a veg and dessert. DH offered to have dinner early with me (before his 7:15 cockttail party, but I declined. No way am I eating at 6 in Europe. Hard pass.

Wednesday is my walking/eating tour. It starts with pastries and a shot of cherry liqueor (at 10:30 am!) You can bet I'll be wearing my sensible shoes.

Still trying to fill Thurs. Looking for a tour guide to take me to Sintra or Cacais (or any other cool/interesting/historic/tasty spot.

Friday will be spent wandering and shopping til dh is done. Then a seafood dinner at this place. Look at the picture. There are NO rails around the dock. And they serve wine. Hopefully we will get a wall-hugging table. If you don't hear from me next week, you'll know why.

• bbstx
    last year

I think my sister and her friends have used ToursByLocals.com and were pleased. You might see if they have someone available for Sintra and Cascais. Or perhaps the concierge at your hotel can help you find a guide.

• salonva
    last year

Jo-- on the Travel Portugal page ( FB) there are quite a few excellent tour guides. You can see from the conversations on there definitely worth reaching out.

• dedtired
    last year

I remember Lisbon as hilly with slippery cobblestones, so sensible shoes are a good plan. If you take a ride on the funicular, be wary of pickpockets.

As for packing, i am somewhere in the middle. I have some travel clothes that can be handwashed (sorry!).

Did you pack a hat? I am always glad for one.

You might enjoy the Lisbon Botanical Garden, or that might be too much like a busman’s holiday! Garden

• texanjana
    last year

Tours by Locals and Context Travel-have had great exoeriences with both. Enjoy your trip!

• jojoco
    Original Author
    last year

Great suggestions everyone. I'm researching as we speak.

• smhinnb
    last year

As someone who is scent sensitive I wish Febreeze and Downey wrinkle releaser were banned from the planet. Sitting next to someone who smells like either one for an extended period of time could very well induce a vomiting migraine for me, which wouldn't be pleasant for either of us.

I'm struggling with packing right now too. I leave Sunday to spend a few days with my sister in Alberta (fall / chilly), and then on to Hawaii. When I travel I decide what suitcase I want to take, depending on itinerary, etc. Then I'm allowed to take whatever I want so long as it all easily fits in the bag.

• Jilly
    last year

Just wanted to say I hope you have a wonderful trip!!

We expect daily check-ins.

Just kidding!

Every other day.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

Have fun!!!

• jojoco
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks! I will have down time (and an international phone plan) to check in. I did find the name of another woman who will also be on her own (her sister is attending the conference.) We're going to meet and be each other's dinner dates.

• Tina Marie
    last year

Jojo, don't worry about us - just enjoy your time away!

• bbstx
    last year

Just became aware of another source you might look at for tours - GetYourGuide.com. Found them recommended in a FB travel group. I haven’t had time take a deep dive reading about it, but several of the women in the group were very pleased with their service.