SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maackia

Pinus resinosa 'Morel'

maackia
last year

I thought I was done planting for the season back in late August. That quickly changed when I visited central Illinois with my spouse for her class renunion. This was not my idea of a good time, so I begged off and headed to Hornbaker Gardens just outside Princeton, IL. I'm not sure if this place is a nursery masquerading as a botanical garden or vice versa, but it is a gem. It was also customer appreciation day, which meant free food and beer. As you might guess, I came home with some conifers, including this one.

There are very few P. resinosa cultivars, and this is the only one I've run across in the nursery trade. I will be planting it in the next two days and I'm hoping to get feedback on experience with it. Supposedly grows 8"-10"/year, which means it could be pushing 10' after ten years. Has that been your experience.

I'm thinking of planting on a site that gets full morning sun, and then 1-2 hours of filtered sun. After that, it's pretty much in full shade. Is this enough light to keep it looking good?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!