SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crowley_megan

Painting Dark Brown Kitchen Cabinets

Megan C
last year

I'd like to professionally paint my kitchen cabinets and to replace the countertop with something eco-friendly. My spouse hates white cabinets so we are thinking maybe something blue or green. I'd love any suggestions of paint colors you have liked for a similar project. Thanks in advance!

Comments (27)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year
    last modified: last year

First you'll need to pick out this 'eco friendly' countertop. (what exactly is eco friendly? Will you be pouring your own concrete countertops? using ceramic tiles? Faux butcher block? I mean, if you really want eco friendly, then just keep your current granite. You could remove it from the backsplash portion though) I don't have a problem w/you replacing the countertop, I just don't know what you mean by eco friendly.

Also, is this a galley kitchen? show us a shot from the other end

Cabinet style? do you want something more modern? traditional?

Will you be keeping those travertine floors? if yes, then those tiles will determine the color cabinet you can do.

This would be a perfect match w/those floor tiles. Bring in a nice granite or quartz, some color w/the runner, gold hardware. It's Revere Pewter

Then I'd do this quartzite (TajMajal) which would look great w/your floors and the cab color

or, for a bit more contrast, choose the Silestone quartz in the suede charcoal.

either of these greens would work. here are some blues:

If you like this 'Boxwood' color green, here is the recipe in the corner

any of the taupes or pink/red undertone grays will work w/that floor.

what about these colors?

what about two-tone? This one would actually look nice w/the floor tiles.

the warm charcoal lowers and white uppers (or you could do more of a taupe color white if he doesn't like bright white)

any of these should work w/your floor. Or do you want something more saturated?

galley kitchen with a soft blue cabinet, white quartz

• Related Discussions

Dark painted cabinets AND dark walls?? (x-posted from kitchens)

Q

Comments (1)
    Here are a couple of pics from google. probably not close to your colors, but maybe it will give you an idea?
    ...See More

Painting dark knotty pine cabinets and paneled walls

Q

Comments (5)
    All the decor and little knick knacks are going - these are pics I was able to snap in secret during our last visit. Anything grandma leaves behind is going in storage before we move in. The lighting will absolutely be replaced - the room will be much brighter, but I'm still dealing with dark orange/brown cabinets and walls. I'm not sure about the measurements because I was trying to be conspicuous and not look like I was thinking of taking a demo crew to the whole thing while grandma was around. But raising the cabinets is a challenge due to the fact that removing the extraneous high cabinets is a job that is a bit beyond me and I am trying to stick with DIY projects. Moving is going to cost us a lot, so I'm trying to keep home improvement projects as cheap as possible right now. And I'm doing any and all projects solo because my husband works out of town for months at a time. I can paint, I can't remove cabinets yet. I basically want to paint all the wood in the kitchen and dining room. There are some built ins opposite the kitchen - I figure I'll either paint or stain them depending on how the kitchen and dining room turn out. I love wood, I really do! I just hate knotty pine with a passion. If I can keep the wood grain but lighten things up, I'll be a happy homemaker.
    ...See More

Kashmir Cream or Fantasy Brown granite with my dark kitchen cabinets?

Q

Comments (9)
    I have Fantasy Brown Quartzite. It was leathered as recommended by the stone supplier two years ago. I tested a sample given to me before deciding, by putting lemon juice, ketchup, you-name-it overnight and it was bullet-proof. I also did the test by trying to scratch glass with it, and it it DID scratch the glass. It hasn't stained, etched or scratched in two years of not babying it at all. Here's a page of things to read about it being different stones, but mine is quartzite for certain. https://www.google.com/search?q=fantasy+brown+quartzite&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
    ...See More

Approximate price for pro painting of dark oak kitchen cabinets

Q

Comments (5)
    TY for answering, but the pros take advantage of women. I am asking consumers, those who have hired pros, what they have paid for this service in their own homes.
    ...See More
  • M Miller
    last year

“replace the countertop with something eco-friendly.”

It’s impossible to advise on cabinet color without more information on what the counters you are considering look like. Can you please explain more specifically what you meant by eco-friendly counters? By replacing your existing counters, you are adding them to landfill. I am not criticizing, because people replace their counters all the time. I am just trying to get your meaning.

Some people try to buy stone counters that are mined locally. You are still digging them up out of the ground at mine sites, but at least you are avoiding the eco impact of transport. Or some people buy bamboo counters since bamboo is renewable. Unfortunately, most bamboo strands for counters are glued together and finished using formaldehyde-based glues, so no luck there being eco-friendly. Can you tell us what are the counter choices you are considering?

• Fori
    last year

My countertops are recyclable. 😬

But I agree that the most eco-friendly countertop is the one already there. Plus it's kind of interesting and unusual.

The cabinets would look pretty nifty in black.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

any natural stone can be ground up or reused. I broke up a large slab of granite (had a major crack in it) and used the pieces for my patio.

If you want to be eco friendly, remove yours and do the same. break it into chunks and use for stepping stones, a mosaic, or pieces used in the garden somehow.

not sure if OP thinks eco-friendly means quartz.

another option is reusing old 2x4's and making a butcher block.

pouring your own cement countertops.

Finding a remnant of someone elses stone slab and using that.

OP could also look into Pre-Fab countertops (they're already cut in 9'X24" pieces, ready for install. (they come in all varieties. quartz, granite, quartzite, marble)

These are cheaper options than buying full slabs. And since this is a galley layout, the pre-fabs would be perfect for this job)

• Megan C
    Original Author
    last year

Wow, thanks for all the very helpful comments! Completely agree re keeping the old countertops is the greenest option! I just hate the brown and am trying to make the next least bad choice in replacing them. I’m leaning toward paper composite countertops in a dark grey (matte). Or maybe bamboo. Regardless, yes, it’s a galley kitchen. I will look more carefully in the morning at all the great suggestions above re cabinet color.

Also welcome any ideas on what to do with that dead zone in the back. (I suppose a table is the most obvious option, I just don’t want it to become the place where my three kids put all their junk.)

More photos attached!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

what's to the left and right of that dead zone? is it a walkway area?

could you do a floating bar or shelf under the window ?

(scrap those countertops. I hate the brown too. you don't have a lot, it's not a big deal.

consider looking into remnants. you'll be using the leftovers of someone else who couldn't use their entire slab. check into fabricators warehouses or stone yards for remnants. also look online like craigslist, offerup. people sell theirs on there too)

I gave you a bunch of ideas in my first comment. come back tmrw and let me know what you think

• kj s
    last year

A place in Seattle reps paperstone. I don't know much about it. https://www.ghsproducts.com/news/paperstone-recycled-paper-countertops/

• Jennifer Hogan
    last year

There are so many definitions of green, and I think you have to decide for yourself what impacts are within your personal levels of acceptability. Other than keeping what you have or finding used countertops (may be an option if your kitchen is on the smaller side) every material has pros and cons.

I will not purchase any granite or stone quarried outside of the US due to human rights violations.

I also do not buy products made from bamboo, as the popularity of bamboo has caused large areas of biodiverse bamboo forest to be cleared for the growth of a few bamboo species that are well suited for building materials, putting many animal species that live in the bamboo forests to be placed on the endangered species list. Panda's, Lemurs, Gorillas, Red Monkeys and many more. Over 1/2 the species of bamboo are endangered because those species are not the best for making furniture are being cleared for the growth of a small number of bamboo species that are the most profitable to grown.

Beyond that I am not all that concerned with the material used for my countertops. It isn't something that I consider disposable. The countertop I install will be in my home until I die or get placed in a nursing facility and may be used for years after that by the next owner.

The environmental impact of something that is used for decades is far less than the impact of all the disposable products we use. I stopped buying bottled water, using tap water and refilling my Yeti water bottle. I stopped buying paper towels, paper plates, disposable plastic containers, plastic bags. I take cotton cloth bags to the grocery store and limit driving to necessary trips, consolidating shopping and errands to two days a month. (Average less than 3000 miles on my car per year.)

We each have to do what we can, but I don't know that eco friendly countertops are a highly impactful saving for our eco system.

• nickel_kg
    last year

Your cabinets are a nice cherry sort of finish -- not quite "brown." I'd try replacing your backsplash and countertops first -- they are the elements pulling the whole kitchen to the dull/dark side. You might like the contrast the cherry tone cabinets would give to a newer, lighter counter/splash area. Hey if it works, you save time, money, and the environment!

(although if you paint, I do like blues and greens, I'm not a fan of pure-white rooms)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

If you choose to save the money and keep the cabs (put the savings into a new floor), here's how your cabs would look w/River White Granite and a new tile backsplash (sage/gray tile)

Instead of paying 6K to get those painted, use the money to bring in new hardwood floors. this is a red oak, but you could do whatever you like.

• darbuka
    last year

Your cabinets are beautiful. The style is current. The problems are the counters, the matching brown backsplash, and the tiled floors…all being in the same color pallette. Look how improved, and beautiful the kitchen appears, in @Beth H. :’s mock up.

To me, it’s criminal to cover up all that beautiful, warm wood with paint.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    last year

What don't you like about the cabinets? I like the warmth of them. I love green, but you're just not going to replicate the depth and warmth of the wood with paint. Any paint.

• Debbie Downer
    last year

The highest best use of unwanted granite in good condition would be to find a new home for it or donate to ReStore, not landfill or busting up for a garden. Looking at pics, yours look far nicer (and larger) than the sad meager pieces I see at my local ReStore - Id buy them if I was re-doing a kitchen! Its actually a pretty nice current shade of tobacco brown but then I Iike browns.

I think the first decision has to be what stays and what goes. No one has mentioned the tile floors. If you remove the brown of wood and counters, those are still going to be pinky-peachy brown and limit your choices. Those beautiful blue and white kitchens above wouldnt work.. Need to be thinking wholistically here - think in terms of entire color scheme rather than piecemeal.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

The highest best use of unwanted granite in good condition would be to find a new home for it or donate to ReStore, not landfill or busting up for a garden.

Debbie, you ever try and remove a glued down granite countertop in one piece to be reused? Prob not. They rarely come out whole.

That's why I said to use for a garden. No need for the condescending reply regarding that idea.

And yes, I absolutely did mention those floors up in my first comment.

BTW, the blue shades I put up were to give her an idea of why those travertine floors wouldn't work w/her desire to use blue/green.

unless, she went w/this color range. these do work w/the floor tile

If you're going to bash just about every idea I mention, at least read all of comments so you understand why I post what I do.

• Megan C
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks, all! I think we are going to do the SW smoky blue color. Will post once it is done!

• PRO
    Floored You: TileDesigners
    last year

Those cabinets are right in the current style, and are gorgeous! I think you'd be better served by replacing the counters ONLY. A pro will charge you 10K+ to paint those, and it really isn't needed. Plus, if you are concerned with eco friendly solutions, professional painting is going to introduce VOC's, isocyanates, adziradrine, or other chemicals, into your home. Even with a pro with good filtered air to vent all of that outside, you're just pushing it outside, into the wide world. Ecofriendly is keeping what you have.

• Crepe Myrtle
    last year

What pretty cabinets! I wouldn't paint those! I think they would look great with just a new counter.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

Megan, you never answered about the flooring. is that staying?

What about the countertop? You need to purchase that first before painting.

did you see the photo I posted with how your cabs would look w/River White granite, a new tile splash and wood floors?

I'd change floors and granite first prior to painting.

• ffpalms
    last year

I, too, want to talk you down from this ledge. Especially since your chosen color is also dark. If you are craving color, perhaps you can add some wainscoting.

• ffpalms
    last year

Or try adding some color under your window.

• Megan C
    Original Author
    last year

Wow! Ha, well, you all are very convincing. My husband and I have caved to the (lovely) peer pressure of you all, and are going to replace the counter and backsplash and not paint the cabinets (for now, at least). The floor seems like a hassle to replace, but maybe we will get some quotes. Thank you all for the ideas—I wish this group would advise on my whole house!

• Debbie Downer
    last year

Re "If you're going to bash just about every idea I mention, at least read all of comments so you understand why I post what I do." Hmmm dont think I did that - apparently Im agreeing with you about the disconnect between floor color and blue paint for cabinets, so ...not understanding what the problem is...?

Re granite - no, I have not actually removed but have seen used slabs for sale & giveaway and once I took a hammer and chisel to remove glue and plywood splinters from the back of one a neighbor gave me. If thats not possible then - yes of course, the second highest best use would be re-use in a garden or mosaic art or.... something...

Not everyone would take several hours to chisel off old glue, I realize... certainly not a contractor for whom time is money. But that's not to say it's not possible! I think we are allowed to have differences of opinion here. Maybe there needs to be new installation methods created that allow for easier re-use or recycling.

BTW, it's true I dont read every word but I do always look at and appreciate your generous use of pics - usually spot in in terms of fitting what the OP is presenting. Any perceived "bashing" not intended or implied.

• mojavemaria
    last year

We removed our granite counters without damaging them and gave them away on craigslist. Nothing could kill that stone I wish we had liked it better!

• Jennifer Hogan
    last year

@Megan C

Glad that you and your hubby are waiting to paint the cabinets. As for the flooring, it is not bad flooring and I wouldn't jump into changing it either.

Take things slow, do fewer updates at a time unless you have a full gut reno of a room. Sometimes it is just one thing that needs updating to make a world of difference. In your case it was the green brown counters and backsplash that didn't go well with the cabinets or the flooring.

The Houzz community is sometimes a bit strongly opinionated, but mostly everyone wants to be helpful. Like having a whole community of mothers, with a bunch of differing ideas and opinions.

Guessing from the Real Estate Photos that this is a fairly new purchase. Is this your first home?

If so remember that this is a lifelong journey, not a sprint to an end. It is a good idea to take some time and figure out what you love and your lifestyle and what you will want to live with over the next 50 years before jumping into projects.

Be very honest with yourself as to who you are and your actual daily routine. Figure out what works for you in your new home and the things that drive you crazy. Keep a list.

Think about how you would like to use each space in your home. Do you need a quiet place to pay bills, do you need a space for doing crafts, do you need a work space for home reno projects.

Think about your favorite colors and where and how you want to bring those colors into your home. Decide this before deciding paint colors for walls or making decisions on changes to flooring. The walls and flooring are just the backdrop for your art and furnishings and décor items, so you want to pick the wall colors and neutrals that make the colors in your art sing.

How do you want each room to feel? Do you want a sultry bedroom or a peaceful bedroom? A relaxing family room or more energized (do you spend your time watching love stories in the evening while relaxing or screaming at the football games on Saturday afternoons? How do you entertain - Wine and cheese tasting with friends from work or potluck BBQ with neighbors?

Decide what style of furniture really fits your lifestyle.

One of the biggest mistakes I see young people make is they pick furnishings and colors one room at a time without thinking about how everything in the home will fit together.

The other is that they fall in love with a look in a magazine or online and try to make their lives work around this picture they have in their head instead of making the home work around the way they live their lives.

Enjoy the journey.

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    last year

Are you replacing your flooring as well? If not, would definitely suggest that you take flooring color into consideration when selecting paint and countertops.

• Jennifer Hogan
    last year

@Norwood Architects - great call out.

Steps for choosing colors -

Step 1 - identify the colors that must stay.

Step 2 - identify the colors you love

Step 3 - identify the neutrals that work well with the colors you love and the colors that must stay

Step 4 - select the white that works best with the neutral you selected in step 3 and any other whites that must stay.