SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
carol_panosian

Counter Help Pls!

Carol Panosian
2 months ago

Hi, I really want to lose the counter and I suppose the back splash. Things are very gold orange in here. The anegre cabinets and the travertine floor are staying. I’m overwhelmed. pls help! My thoughts….

1. The product…. sintered stone Dekton, Lapitec, Neolith seems best so far, can put hot stuff on & many slabs are bigger to limit seams. Lapitec is full body. Granite is busy, Quartz are smaller slabs but mostly cant put hot pots on due to being made with resin.

2. The color & pattern….plain almost seems more desireable to me, but the expense for plain?! (& husband is fearful of it being so boring) and then plain white or plain dark grey or possibly black? Or I do the marbled look like it seems everyone else & all the model homes have?… specifically the white marbled look. Would white make it be too stark and black too dark?

3. Can I, should I do anything else different in here, like raise up the seating area to bar height? Ive seen some combo tops that seem kind of cool, but maybe out of style look?

4. Thoughts on the backsplash, do I cover the whole wall? Should it be the same as what i put on the counter? Someone suggested a shelf and waterfall edge or something, & also mounting tv… Bigger pattern or smaller to not be too unslightly with the travertine floor.

I will be happy with any suggestions, can you imagine if I was to build a house? Dislike this job until its done…with good results! Note, we moved in about 4 years ago..

Thank you for any comments, greatly appreciated!!!

Carol

Comments (36)

• Missi (4b IA)
    2 months ago

I don't know, but I *love* your cabinets! I'd be more apt to go plain w/the floor being patterned.

• Missi (4b IA)
    2 months ago

Also, can I come play Pac Man????

• Related Discussions

Pls help pick caeserstone countertop

Q

Comments (6)
    What do you like? I like the cinder, for some contrast with all of the white. Sounds like you have ruled out a contrasting darker countertop. I have white cabinets, light oak floors, ss appliances, and CS Nougat. I have not chosen a backsplash, but I think I will go with a colored tile to add color.
    ...See More

granite counter-top seams ... are we being too picky?

Q

Comments (44)
    These are my pics of my countertops placed Friday June 22, 2018. I cried looking at these seams. It looks so cheap. Fabricator explains that's the way it comes. I explained that I shouldn't be able to see the seams so clearly. It looks so unprofessional. They ended up taking them back to their warehouse. In hopes they say if it is quality control will try and fix it just to make it look better. Otherwise I will have to pay an additional fee for them to come out again to install. I just don't know what to do and if still looks the same. This is the first time I've replaced my counters in 24 years. I don't and can't live with it. looking at this for another 24 years. It looks so cheap and it really was not it's a lot of money to me. I hope fingers crossed that they will fix this problem. They never told me that there would be such seams. I thought the edges were done by a machine and it would be all one piece. I have read up on this and now understand there are seams. But now I do know that they should not look like this. If they are good fabricator you shouldn't be able to see them so clearly. I will find out next week what happens.
    ...See More

Pls help with pic of angled island countertop. . .

Q

Comments (0)
    Someone on here posted a pic of their angled island countertop (granite) where they had capped the "wings" of the island. From there the middle of the island had an overhang to accommodate about three bar stools. They used a lovely edge and a scallop pattern to gradually lead into the overhang. Anyhow, I just went through the kitchen Blogs to see if I could find this picture and no such luck. Could anyone lead me to this person/picture? Many thanks!
    ...See More

more counter-top help - laundry room

Q

Comments (19)
    Formica is a heat resistant, wipe-clean, plastic laminate of paper or fabric with melamine resin. This product was pretty standard in most homes for countertops in years past. Then with the popularity of stone, it was used less and less. You can find samples of formica in any box store near you. The cost is minimal compared to stone, although the look can resemble quartz or granite and does not have the panache stone has.
    ...See More
  • Carol Panosian
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Haha, for sure!

• LH CO/FL
    2 months ago

Galaga? Awesome!!! The cabinets are fabulous! I would love to see them with a matte black countertop -- soapstone or a leathered granite, and maybe change out to black hardware.

• kj s
    2 months ago

Dark counters!

• Barrheadlass
    2 months ago

Two clocks?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

You're asking about hot pots when there seems to be a monitor behind the cook top?? :)

Given the floor? Plain, absolutely. Soapstone ( impervious to heat ) Honed black granite, ........or Corian. Yes... The C word. Get a trivet.

Do you love the layout? that's the first question before any top replacement.

• arcy_gw
    2 months ago

I would not go black it will suck all the light right out of the room.

• thinkdesignlive
    2 months ago

What about honed or leathered jet mist granite? You want dark but not black black….your floors and setting would pair well with a matte finish on the counters. Stay away from the whites - your floors and cabinets do not work with them at all.

• Yayagal
    2 months ago

I had all my granite pulled out and got corian, it's fabulous!

• Fori
    2 months ago

I'd keep the granite in the small spots--like the laundry and bar (although it's hard to tell what's what and where)--and use something plain elsewhere.

Yes, a solid color Corian is a good thing to consider. Copper might be nice and it is never boring and you can put hot pots on it with wild abandon.

• lharpie
    2 months ago

dark would match well but i’d probably go simple/light color to keep the room from being to dark. we have dekton and love it. fully heat resistant and no chipping despite banging cast iron into it with some regularity.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    2 months ago

I would go dark as well. My first instinct is soapstone with a small splash - no tile and a better paint color. I would also say no to any thought of raising a bar top.

Good luck

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

Sorry, the travertine floors have to go. :-) Get slate-look porcelain tile floors and charcoal gray or sage/taupe counters. Then I'd look at some pretty handcrafted tile for the backsplash in a sage or rosemary green.

Saint Paul Craftsman · More Info

Wallace K. Harrison Estate · More Info

Crestmoore · More Info

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 months ago

Here's the brutal truth ( As Sabrina up there ..)

If the floors go? Now you're looking at the layout in a very serious way. That's why I say......" do you love the layout??

Before you rip tops? You need to ask yourself that question, or maybe just explore what you might like, what annoys you, whatever you wish you had.

Kitchen are a whole: Layout, floors. cabinets. counters the entire shebang. How long you'll stay etc.

Piece meal "reno" bears CONSIDERABLE thought.

• K L
    2 months ago

Carol, could you please help me understand the motivation for this change? In reading your introduction, all I can find is that the room is too gold orange. And for some reason you've decided the counters are the gold orange thing that will depart. Has the counter been damaged?

If the counter has not been damaged, can I suggest it's not the problem. It works nicely with the cabinets. By the way, OMG, those are beautiful cabinets. They are an intense gold orange. I think the key to your contentment with your fabulous kitchen (I wish I had) is to work with the gold-orange and not fight it. For example, the wall color is fighting with the gold orange. The wall color would go better with chocolate brown cabinets. A light bright cream color for the wall will augment your cabinet color. And lucky you, it will augment a lot of the things in your home from what I see in the pictures. Think caramel swirl ice cream… Yum.

Now, your husband will be concerned cream and gold orange wood will be too boring, and he's right. You need another color. Take a look at Sabrina's picture with the green tile in the background. It is light and pretty. The green has some coolness to it that balances the gold orange. One of the things I noticed in one of your pictures was a table with a game on it in the corner, and the bright cobalt blue pegs made the tabletop sing. Gorgeous way the grain is laid in that table! I have a tiny bathroom in 1970s cream and oak that I thought was so boring until one day I added a bit of moss green. I love it now and am a fan of cream and green with wood. There are many greens. My husband likes to say we humans have the ability to discern more greens than any other color…something about it's importance in finding food. I think most of them can work nicely with the gold orange of your wood and counter. I think you probably could get away with small doses of everything from cobalt blue (got any Delftware?) to Christmas-tree green to celery green. And I wouldn't limit it to just your kitchen. You have the same wood in other rooms. Unity helps make a space feel larger and more peaceful. 

I can't say I disagree with the advice to get new flooring. You've got some real experts here to help you find the perfect floor, but I still say do so with an overall color scheme in mind that augments your beautiful wood. 

I noticed some red in a few pictures: brick in the kitchen and some tile in the bar. I don't think these will fight with your cabinets, but I also think they aren't necessary if you don't like them. They also don't fight with a color scheme with green. Still, over time, I'd replace/eliminate them.

So…paint. Accesorize with greens and maybe even a little blue if you like. You may even choose to paint some small spaces in a green, or replace the tile at the bar with some exactly like the one in Sabrina's picture. 

If you don't have them already, have under cabinet lights installed for good lighting on the countertop. They are awesome! Maybe you just don't have them turned on in your pictures.

If the counter has been damaged, and will be replaced, I still hope you will think of an overall color scheme that will compliment your wood.

• Carol Panosian
    2 months ago

Thank you everyone for all of your advice! I'm sorry I haven't answered sooner, it appears I have two different accounts - one saved on my phone & one on my computer, where it's much easier to type. I'll have to fix that one of these days too.

So, do you think I'm more confused? I kind of am. But I am learning & that's what this is all about! - sort of. So, again, thanks! My husband says, "I thought we liked this house, that's why we bought it." He likes it the way it is, he will agree to get a new counter to make me happy but I'm not sure about the other stuff (like the floor). I do like the travertine which is in most of all the flooring on the main level except the living & bedroom. I mean, I still see it for sale at some stores? - just wish it would be in more of the taupe grey family... Does it not match the style of cabinets that I have? Someone told me it was sort of MCM & that was the design of my house? - sort of Brady Bunch ish??

Also so nice to get the compliments on the cabinets, that makes me feel good. I did paint the walls a taupe grey from an apricot looking color to try to degold the room - everything previous owner had was very matchy, in the same color (maybe done by a pro??:)). My counter isn't broke, I just want a cleaner look & not so busy - also to help degold the room. I love colors & feel I can't do much in there with that counter.....?? I really don't know what other layout I could do with the size space I have? And then that would be a whole redo, like you mentioned... but definitely open to ideas. Why do I have two clocks? Well........maybe I couldn't make up my mind! omg - do you see a pattern here? Shoot me! (this is a joke -he he) I also tell people they are a conversation starter - I do like out of the box. And this whole ordeal is seriously depressing me :( Poor me. I definitely like the idea of adding color to the backsplash and green or maybe some sort of teal is nice - I have some of that in my living area & I like it with the golds, so wouldn't mind looking into that once I have decided on the counter. Lately I've been wondering about some of those two toned type tops - I'll include a pretty one I just came across, not sure how my kitchen could work with that but it's so pretty & I love the wood in it.

Okay, so much for a Friday, any other comments are greatly appreciated. I'm 62 & at the rate I'm going -------- oh, now that sounds really depressing! HA Thanks again, Love getting your help!

Carol P. (I could put all sorts of color in a simple kitchen like this :) (unfortunately that is not the color of my cabinets either........)

• K L
    2 months ago

Carol, I have a similar problem in that I can't access my phone account from my computer. Wish I knew how to solve that. You and I are close to the same age, so maybe that's part of it. ;-)

I think we married into the same family too. Though, I've had a couple of successes, and he almost seems excited about new projects now. But I am really anxious about making a mistake.

I'm sorry to have pointed out the wall paint as the main "problem" after learning it was something you did to try to de-orange. I still think it's one of the things that stands out as not fitting. The other thing I will share with you is a good thing I stumbled onto accidentally. But I will give myself credit for recognizing it when I did. I accidentally put a large inexpensive area rug in the kitchen instead of the little ones you and I grew up with and I see in your photos. I butt it up to the sink, but it pretty much fills the room. The experiment cost $35 to Amazon. And I still prefer a cheap rug in the kitchen so I don't have to worry about spills. Once I saw the effect, I bought a second for under the table. This is another chance to try what I am telling you about adding cool colors to compliment your cabinets AND de-orange the space at the same time. 

https://www.amazon.com/nuLOOM-Becca-Vintage-Tile-Area/dp/B07SNT72T7/ref=mp_s_a_1_9?keywords=area+rug+blue+green&qid=1665219078&qu=eyJxc2MiOiI2LjcxIiwicXNhIjoiNS4wNCIsInFzcCI6IjIuNzUifQ==&refinements=p_n_feature_twenty_browse-bin:3254108011|3254109011|3254113011,p_n_feature_eight_browse-bin:23555305011,p_36:1253525011&rnid=386465011&s=furniture&sr=1-9&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.08f69ac3-fd3d-4b88-bca2-8997e41410bb

https://www.amazon.com/Indoor-Outdoor-Wave-Navy-Blue/dp/B07QSPK85V/ref=mp_s_a_1_11?keywords=area+rug+blue+green&qid=1665219078&qu=eyJxc2MiOiI2LjcxIiwicXNhIjoiNS4wNCIsInFzcCI6IjIuNzUifQ==&refinements=p_n_feature_twenty_browse-bin:3254108011|3254109011|3254113011,p_n_feature_eight_browse-bin:23555305011,p_36:1253525011&rnid=386465011&s=furniture&sr=1-11&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.08f69ac3-fd3d-4b88-bca2-8997e41410bb&th=1&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Indoor-Outdoor-Distressed-Bohemian-Denim/dp/B07S71F7G1/ref=mp_s_a_1_12?keywords=area+rug+blue+green&qid=1665219078&qu=eyJxc2MiOiI2LjcxIiwicXNhIjoiNS4wNCIsInFzcCI6IjIuNzUifQ==&refinements=p_n_feature_twenty_browse-bin:3254108011|3254109011|3254113011,p_n_feature_eight_browse-bin:23555305011,p_36:1253525011&rnid=386465011&s=furniture&sr=1-12&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.08f69ac3-fd3d-4b88-bca2-8997e41410bb&th=1&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Traditional-Rugs-Living-Green-Dining/dp/B078NL5MHM/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?keywords=area+rug+blue+green&qid=1665219542&qu=eyJxc2MiOiI2LjcxIiwicXNhIjoiNS4wNCIsInFzcCI6IjIuNzUifQ==&refinements=p_n_feature_eight_browse-bin:23555305011,p_36:1253525011,p_n_feature_twenty_browse-bin:3254113011&rnid=3254097011&s=furniture&sr=1-1&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.08f69ac3-fd3d-4b88-bca2-8997e41410bb

https://www.amazon.com/Rugshop-Vintage-Distressed-Bohemian-Diameter/dp/B086DWQ194/ref=mp_s_a_1_14?keywords=area+rug+blue+green&qid=1665219618&qu=eyJxc2MiOiI2LjcxIiwicXNhIjoiNS4wNCIsInFzcCI6IjIuNzUifQ==&refinements=p_n_feature_eight_browse-bin:23555305011,p_36:1253525011&rnid=3254097011&s=furniture&sr=1-14&th=1&psc=1

Can I suggest that you bring household items into the kitchen that are colors of blues and greens to see the overall effect. Line them up on your counter, step back and have a good look. Try to imagine what it might look like to have an area rug, curtains or shade, or tee towels, trivets, pottery, potholders, any kind of kitchen items in those colors in the kitchen. But, really, maybe anywhere in the house that has the cabinetry. It could be that you don't like those colors either. Is that it?  Any blue or blue-green will do the job. Surely there are some you like. I have orange pine bedroom furniture in one bedroom and realized that's why all my "iris" stuff looks so good in there. The orange green and purple make a triadic color scheme! You could try that too. I didn't suggest it because most people turn up their nose at purple.

If you end up repainting (again, sorry about that), wait until you settle on a color scheme. A lot of paint color advice columns say to make the paint choice the last thing you do. A nice cream is good with your cabinets, but you may want a few surfaces painted in a blue or green for accent and to further balance the orange.

• K L
    2 months ago

Here's an article about paint colors that compliment different woods:

https://www.houzz.com/magazine/11-terrific-paint-color-matches-for-wood-details-stsetivw-vs~9025200

• K L
    2 months ago

And a personal favorite recently if you still don't like your counters and do choose the blues and greens to de-orange:

https://www.andrewpearsonglass.com/product-applications/countertops

• K L
    2 months ago

I noticed just now that your light fixtures are a sort of red. It's hard to tell, but maybe a wine red? Do you like them? I guess maybe they "go" with the brick in the kitchen and tile on the bar backsplash. You said the wall paint used to be an apricot. So the previous owner was going for an analogous color scheme with orange, red-orange, and red-purple, and maybe had some red accessories. If you keep the red-purple lights, backsplash and brick, with the orange, that sets you up for a yellow-green for a triadic color scheme. What do you think of that?

If you don't like the wine and brick, those are great opportunities to add the colors that you will head towards. You said you might like green or teal. I think you could have both to add some complexity to your whole living area. And I do think there are opportunities other than your countertop: big colorful rugs, light fixtures, towels, plant pot, window treatments.

• anna_682
    last month

honed virgina mist granite or soapstone would look amazing in your kitchen. Great cabinets. White walls.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last month
    last modified: last month

Call in a stone restorer pro and have those floor tiles professionally steam cleaned. then resealed.

the finish on the cabs have ambered w/time. only way to get rid of that is to strip and recoat w/water base clear coat. you'll get this look.

more of a natural maple. BTW, you could do some glass in a few uppers.

black would look like this

honed or leathered might look nice

whites

I'd change the backsplash and find a really cool stone slab

• Carol Panosian
    last month

Thanks again everyone.

Nice job, Beth H., you put it all right in front of me - nice to see all the pics of what it could look like. Have you worked with Anigre wood that you know originally it wasn't so amber orange? When I look at pics online I don't see it in any other colors? hmmm. Also like your ideas on getting the floor professionally done, I honestly just got a price quote on getting that done, thought I might wait til after the tops are done. ($1300) - Great Minds! Much appreciated.

K L - you are working so hard for me too - you must love my countertops! HA they do match the cabinets, I agree, just so busy for me & feeling out dated. I have rugs saved in my cart - you never know & someone else did suggest that once also, who would have thought?! We'll see, still working on the counter more so than the rest of the colors I could add in, I think I could add in so much more without that busy-ness. I also appreciated the paint colors with wood link - your idea of a caramel swirl is intriguing.

Also appreciate the Virginia jet mist honed etc suggestions, not bad, not bad at all. Still a little nervous thinking white/off white could be cheerier - hmmm - but maybe warmth on the darker. I'll have to go find in real life & get a sample. I've heard about soapstone waring so I'm not so sure about that - although maybe it would go well with the edges of the travertine & it is beautiful.

I'll keep ya'll posted. Thanks again :) Carol

• K L
    last month

Hi Carol. :-)  I was trying to stay focused on the de-orange issue, because you said that was the main motivation. Now I understand better that you feel the counters are also busy and out-dated. That's the trouble with trends, isn't it? There was a period when granite was THE countertop material. Right now the favorite seems to be marble with soapstone being the "other" countertop. There are so many countertop materials possibilities though. And I see you have a bit of an idea in your mind of combining different materials. The example you provided helps focus attention on the seating area. You have a seating area as a peninsula, so I am imagining something there. And you have the bar area. You could match one or neither of the counter materials in the kitchen. What kinds of materials are you thinking about for countertops? A less busy granite, marble, soapstone, quartz, wood, polished concrete, glass? I mentioned glass in one comment I made. Like anything else, there are options. All materials mix have plusses and minuses. I used to think granite was the toughest material around until I heard of a hot pot splitting a granite countertop. As you consider different materials, can I ask you to consider radiant heating for the peninsula countertop if it is any of the "cold" materials? This is just one example:  https://www.warmlyyours.com/en-US/products/line/countertop-heater-standard

I think hubby might appreciate it if he sits there. You wouldn't need heating with wood there, but with all the wood you have elsewhere, I can't see you wanting wood counters. 

I like the idea of bringing a cool complementary color to the room with a counter and backsplash like the one Sabrina offered. I will repeat here for clarity. I think the soapstone looks nice too, but it's a harsher choice.

Saint Paul Craftsman · More Info

• K L
    last month

By the way, I think the counter in the picture looks like granite again. And maybe it's busy. I don't want you to think I was ignoring what you said about business. I was mainly noticing the soft grey. Do you find it easier on the eyes to work on top of a mid-tone color? I've read that people older than us benefit from a color change at the countertop level so they can see it as they work. That would argue against the mid-tone I guess. Maybe you don't plan on staying there in 30 years though. Or maybe the counter will change again in that time.

• K L
    last month

One more thing about the backsplash. There are a lot of options there too, from continuing the counter up the walls, to paint, to mirrors, to tiles, to glass. And you don't have to do the same thing for all parts of the kitchen. There are already some articles warning that taking the backsplash all the way to the ceiling is considered different enough that it will soon be dated. You have some of that by your peninsula already. Consider what is practical in a space and let that be a starting guide. I'm pretty sure some backsplash materials won't be appropriate with some countertop materials. So it may be wise to think about both at the same time. Zelige tiles are THE thing for backsplashes now, so naturally I run away from them. Subway tiles are already dated (some suggest running the vertically to avoid them looking dated). I'm partial to natural themes with your beautiful wood cabinets. And mosaic glass is a favorite and will be nice with a plain countertop. But what do YOU like, and what countertop will go best with it?

• Carol Panosian
    last month

K L - thank you again for your wisdom! I never knew a counter heater existed, hmmm - that was always something I disliked about other granite counters - the cold. I do have some more neutral samples as well as the marbled white & the off white and then some darker greys. It seems different times of the day, I do feel different about them. I think you are right, I need to go to back splash stores and see what I like with them, maybe that could help my decision. I have been looking more at the sintered stone products like Dekton, Neolith or Lapitec - supposed to be some indestructible products that can handle heat. Although someone recently told me not to worry about the quartz & putting hot stuff on - just get what I like, so, starting to think about that again. What I really want is for a few people to draw up designs, like they do on TV & I could pick one of those pics. I don't know why people don't like the bar height seating.... hmmm - oh funny, your comment on the Zeige tiles & why you run away from them, I kind of feel that way with the Calacutta type stuff. In that picture I shared with the two different counters - I like cause it's different & still plain. I just feel like I can't go into a place and say I want this and that, I am not a designer...... but to have it warm! I definitely have to check into that, did you see that there is also an invisable cooktop? - just more to think about!

• K L
    last month

I did know about invisible cooktops! Very excited about that! We had already planned for an induction stove top. We bought a small portable one to try it out. My husband likes it. We thought of it as a safety issue. I admit to being forgetful, and one day my husband won't be around to shut off the burner or oven.  :-(

You've got a great kitchen.

• K L
    last month

Carol, I hope when you choose your new counter and backsplash that you post pictures. Your kitchen is so pretty. I look forward to the results. Yesterday, as I was looking for something in my very orange pine dresser, a bit of burgundy hung out when I tried to shut the drawer. The contrast was striking, and I memembered the items in your kitchen that were burgundy. Chartreuse green, wine red, and wood orange would be a good combination if you like those colors. That way you could leave the wine colored items IF you like them. And the paint you chose would harmonize with the wine.

Are you leaning towards a neutral counter and adding colors though an area rug, window treatments, towels, hot holders, pottery, etc? Or will you chose a color for your counter….golly, I would be scared. I'd have to do a lot of shopping and bringing pieces home.

• K L
    last month

Hey, Carol! I thought of you when I read this story, because at one point you said there weren't a lot of options for adding color in your kitchen. I hope something in it gives you a fun idea. For example, I did not think about wallpaper. 

Check out this story from houzz - https://www.houzz.com/magazine/14-bright-ideas-for-adding-a-little-color-to-your-kitchen-stsetivw-vs~107934186

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last month
    last modified: last month

Carol, I have not worked w/Anigre wood. It is a hardwood from Africa. They will usually use it as a veneer since it's an exotic species and rather pricey.

As it ages it will turn a golden brown color. If your cabs were finished in an oil base clear coat, that oil will also amber w/time.

If your cabs are made entirely from that wood, I would call in an experienced wood refinisher if you want them lightened.

As for your floor tiles, the steam cleaning will have a huge improvement. I also have Silver Travertine tiles in a Versailles layout in my living area.
    (older pic)

I think I used a diff grout color than you did? Used a light gray. (I grouted it myself and can't remember the color! ) I did seal everything w/511 stone enhancer/sealer.

Is yours sealed? make sure to do so after having it cleaned.

• Barbara Bayliss
    last month

Hello All... and Carol,

This message is from Carol's sister Barb. I have been discussing countertops, cabinets, backsplash and paint colors with Carol also... so am finding these discussions very interesting. Thank you to EVERYONE!

Because I have an art and design background I tell Carol she just needs to listen to me! ha! But gosh, that just doesn't always happen. And her husband, although a very nice guy, doesn't always agree either. Therefore, all of your input and advice is great!

After reading everything from all of you, here is my take:

* FLOORPLAN: Keep as is

* COUNTERTOP/S : use the same countertop in Kitchen, Bar Area and Laundry room.

Plain Soft White (or off white) Matt finish Quartz or Solid Surface (Corian or other brand).

I have Quartz... it is not that fragile. In fact, Consumer Reports rates it slightly better than granite.

* TWO-TONE COUNTERTOP is not bad either for kitchen. But if using a 2nd color, I would use a warmer gray or the Hone Virginia Mist granite (or soapstone) someone had suggested. And I would use on the peninsula section only.

Note: I had recommended that Carol take off white color paper (or maybe a bone color) and put it on her existing countertop just to get a feel for what off white would look like. I think it will show her how it will not only brighten/lighten the space, but will simplify the busy look. And then also let her husband see it so he can see it is not boring, but calming and pleasant. And keep it there for a couple days so they can get used to seeing it. Then she could also add an area with deeper color for a two-tone look.

* COUNTERTOP HEIGHT: I would keep countertop height. Easier to get on and off of stools at that height instead of bar stools especially as we age

* WATERFALL COUNTERTOP: If doing all OFF WHITE, I guess I would consider. But I could go either way on waterfall countertop... with or without.

* CABINETS: great idea to strip and recoat existing cabinets

* CABINET HARDWARE: good idea to update with new brushed nickel or possibly matt black. Get countertops in first, then decide. Not a real pressing upgrade. The present stuff is not too bad

* FLOORS: keep them and stream clean as originally planned

* BACKSPLASH: Remove existing brown wall tile. Add simple rectangle tile: modern layout (not brick) - color ideas: bone, sage (nice soft green -brings in outside greens), teal, blue (cooler tones are nice compliment to the orange tones and works with floor coloring). TBD after countertop is determined for sure. KEEP SIMPLE, LIGHT AND NON-BUSY.

* BACKSPLASH ON FULL WALL: To be decided. But I would probably do... depending on tile selected

* PENDANT LIGHTS - new more updated pendant lights with cooler temp bulbs (3500 to 4000 lumens - not too cool... 6000 lumens would be too cool)

* BAR STOOLS - new bar stools - white, light taupe, chrome

* INVISIBLE COOKTOP: For safety of pet cat, Twix... best not to do

* TV: mount on wall away from stove top

* PAINT COLOR: probably mostly off white. But could also add in accent wall color depending on backsplash color selected (sage, teal, blue, etc). One of last items TBD

* AREA RUG: May or may not want... decide after everything else is complete. If desired, keep it very simple/plain. There is plenty of pattern and color in the floor already

Any further comments from folks are welcome!

Carol... for now... I hope this helps. Let's chat. Barb

• Carol Panosian
    last month

Thanks, Sister Barb :) ha ha, I agree with your summary of everything - for the most part. Nice job! Lots of interesting ideas on here, this IS awesome - so many helpful people! Now all we ... WE ... have to do is get husband Jeff to agree.

I doubt I would go with the invisible cook top anyway, but if cat Twix goes on the counter, I doubt she'd know the difference from an invisible vs the one you can see, I think she'd feel the heat - or it would really teach her not to be up there!

Oh, it was Carla that suggested a waterfall edge on a shelf on the back splash, not waterfall on the counter. I am not interested in that. Plus, I guess I like the two toned on that pic I posted above & don't see/know how I could do that with what I have - unless I raised the front section to bar height - maybe I just like to belly up to the bar more than you :). And lastly, Quartz does not allow you to put hot pots on it, which is why I was steering away from it. But we will see. Still have to see the Corian in real life & also the Virginia mist stuff. I did read not to put a Corian sink in with a Corian top anyway - you put hot pots in the sink & it gets scratched easily.

Thanks again, to everyone!! It's a long process & life gets in the way too........... Carol