SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_797352718

Does this backsplash tile work with these countertops?

Elbinay
last year
last modified: last year

Kitchen backsplash

The glass tile mocked up in photo below is very beautiful and subtle and has a faint amber shimmer/movement as the light moves around it; and yet is quite milky. While I wonder if it competes with the quartz counter, I also have seen opposing movements work in some combinations. I would like opinions here.

I don’t want a “statement” tile because it will super compete with the countertop.

But plain white, while it would help the counters‘ starring role, is also potentially blah. I hoped this was a happy medium.

Thanks for any input

Comments (54)

• gtdj519
    last year

I dont think it competes with it at all; i think it blends really i had to look and reread the post because i thought they were both the same material at first

i would do all white/ solid. stick with this its very pretty and different

• Elbinay
    Original Author
    last year

@gtdj519 Did you mean you wouldnt do all white solid? Im glad you and

@coray are liking the tile, even if ish. Here is a photo of the same tile on the right and Montauk Gin (white) on the left. It is ceramic and sort of zellige but I am worried the shimmer may be too bold (but it is also a very pretty tile) plus it’s just white subway even though pretty.

• Related Discussions

Tile backsplash with existing granite 4' backsplash?

Q

Comments (1)
    Many people have done this. I am not sure if I have seen examples of having the 4" backsplash removed though. Scroll down to tergar's Fnished Backsplash! post for the latest GW example of this.
    ...See More

Pot filler w/ this backsplash too busy? Slab or tile backsplash?

Q

Comments (9)
    Hi Katie, Demo starts tomorrow, so no pics on progress yet, but I'll post when I have some. I'm working a little bit with a KD, and doing the rest myself with cabinetmaker. KD suggested open shelving like in the inspiration pic (but in stainless, specifically). I think it would stress me out though, lol! Having all of my bottles and stuff right out there (the range area is the focal point to basically my whole downstairs living area). My pantry rarely looks fabulous, and I'd be moving the pantry out into the open. So, I think we'll be making the vertical column things on either side of the mantel style range area into pull-out shelves for sheet pans, spices, small bottles, etc. I considered the open shelving with a pretty display of white bowls and dishes, but then I'd lose the storage space for the stuff I really need at my fingertips. Feel free to email me, too, if you want to exchange more ideas. It's a fun process!
    ...See More

Does this 1/3 offset tile pattern work for my backsplash?

Q

Comments (36)
    Omg Sherri! That's gorgeous tile! I love the way the light hits the slight waviness in the handmade tiles and sparkles. What brand and color tile is that? You MUST do a reveal because I know people here will go crazy for your backsplash and your entire kitchen. Oh and is that soapstone too? I love the slab drawers with that glass front cab that has the glass on the side to. You have an excellent tile setter because you cannot see any slope in the ceiling at all. And look at the little cuts he did for that outlet? Are you kidding me...he's a perfectionist. (Actually, I should edit that your tiler could just as well be a woman. I'm gonna try this myself!) You are very fortunate. Have you seen the crazy hacked tile threads lately? I hope I don't end up one.... Okay, I think I just hijacked my own thread. LOL! But, seriously please, please do a reveal. It doesn't need professional photos. Yours above are great.
    ...See More

Help! Will this back-splash work?

Q

Comments (18)
    If your choice were only between to 2 you originally posted, I'd choose the one on the right--the cream one. From the photos it looks like it works very well with your quartzite. The gray one is "off" just enough not to look pleasing. However, as many have noted, either one is more difficult to clean than a smooth surface. What sort of cook are you--very neat or more devil-may-care? If you are very neat and do not splash much when you cook, then you may get away with the split-faced marble, but if you are a more exuberant cook, you may find it a challenge to clean. The mother of pearl is very formal and quite busy, so it's going to compete with the counter tops as well. Personally, I would use a smooth crackle tile in a tan/beige tone to work with your quartzite. Simple is always good.
    ...See More
  • gtdj519
    last year

Correct- that was a type-o error

i would NOT do all white /

solid . i like the tile you are considering with it very much

i also have samples of montauk gin, so ii am familiar. i prefer what you chose over the montauk. What is the name/ make of tile you are considering anyway?

• Shasta
    last year

It looks ok but the backsplash is now the glimmering star. Honestly the movement in the stone does compete and a less busy countertop would look better. But if that’s what you want, it can work.

• Elbinay
    Original Author
    last year

Shasta, the countertops are brand new and I don’t foresee replacing them to work with the backsplash! lol ;)

• jck910
    last year

It's difficult to tell actual colors on a monitor. I would say no to the tile. It has a pearlized looking finish which I don't think works in a kitchen and I see a pink cast in them.

• Shasta
    last year

Elbinay, I love the countertops. I think they could easily be a lovely focal point. I was trying to say the backsplash you picked may detract from them rather than enhance them.

Elbinay thanked Shasta
  • Elbinay
    Original Author
    last year

@Shasta you are probably right. I still like the Montauk Gin. It is white but has a handmade uneven surface for interest.

There is a very soft pale blue version of Montauk Gin but to me it really reads gray. Oh well.

• Elbinay
    Original Author
    last year

@gtdj519 the cast is most definitely amber and not pink. True about monitors. The tile in person actually looks milky. Much more than even the amber.

• Susan Emig
    last year

Does your kitchen get a lot of natural light?

Installing your quartz also as a backsplash always a winner!! Love that look too!

You‘ve chosen lovely options, it will look stunning whichever choice you go with, especially with your flooring! if you go with the tile, I recommend a grout color thar blends or matches your tile rather than contrast,

Please share pics when you finish your project!!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

Show the WHOLE kitchen please. No, I don't love the tile: )

What is the counter top product?

• Connecticut Yankeeeee
    last year

The tile is beautiful! I love the extra shimmer it brings. I do worry how it will look in person, installed all around. Not that it wouldn’t be pretty - but would it compete with the countertops. Personally I don’t care for countertops and backsplash to be of the same material. I like a little contrast and change.

Elbinay thanked Connecticut Yankeeeee
  • Elbinay
    Original Author
    last year

@JAN MOYER somre add’l photos taken this morning Grey cloudy day. I put the under cabinet lights on.

The milky-ness of the tile comes through here

On a sunny day the amber shimmer is more apparent.

• gtdj519
    last year

What is the name

lf the backsplash tile?

i like it very much and i hope you stick with it, but if notit, choose somehring else for a pretty contrast from the counter , other than plain white subway tile i would fear it looking like every other kitchnen posted online if toy go with white subway.

Elbinay thanked gtdj519
  • Melanie C
    last year

We bought a home a few years ago and (unfortunately) the previous homeowners had just remodeled the kitchen. They installed Countertops with a lot of movement paired with a busy backsplash. Separately they’re both lovely, together they make me need to meditate. What I’m trying to say is do what makes you happy.. but I think you’re wise to hesitate on your tile selection. It’s tricky. I like the suggestion of running the same quartz up the wall. I think you’re headed in the right direction. Take your time. Hope you post an update when it’s done. Your kitchen is beautiful.

Elbinay thanked Melanie C
  • Rachel
    last year

I love that tile! Can you share a link for it?

• smh225
    last year

I have the Montauk Gin as my fireplace surround. It is very eye catching and glamorous, which is what I wanted. It was done in a running bond with very little grout. As Melanie stated above, you may need to consider whether your countertop and the backsplash are too busy together.

Elbinay thanked smh225
  • coray
    last year

I’d give it a “yes” based on these latest photos….I know it’s not easy! And remember: YOU have to like it, not the entire Houzz community. If you had shown us tile that obviously doesn’t go, is wildly patterned or clearly the wrong color, everyone would have told you, thus preventing you from making a huge mistake. Since you have seen several responses, some positive, some less, but none that went “noooo, all wrong, don’t do it, you’ll regret it forever” (and I’ve seen such responses because they were warranted), it’s kind of down to your decision now. You are the only person that sees the true colors, w/o a monitor to add hues that aren’t really there etc, and who has to like it; we can only offer opinions, and there will be many…..you can’t possibly listen to all of them, so listen to yourself. I’m sure you look at many photos on Houzz that show beautiful, professionally designed interiors you admire; on the flip side, I’m guessing you’ve seen others that show spaces you wouldn’t want to live in, no way, not one day….I know I have. It’s all down to personal taste and style, and your tile choices do not warrant any warnings.

Elbinay thanked coray
  • Elbinay
    Original Author
    last year

@coray that is sage advice and observation and just what I needed to hear.

I do think as someone said earlier that once the kitchen is outfitted with all the requisite items of living, the disparity between counter and tile however subtle will become less a thing.

• smh225
    last year

Rachel. I got the tile from Tile Bar

• Elbinay
    Original Author
    last year

@Rachel yes TileBar but for me that was for the white zellige subway Montaulk Gin

• Elbinay
    Original Author
    last year

I mocked up the Montauk ceramic tile. First two with lights on, next two without lights

• coray
    last year

Hey, Elbinay, can you do the exact same thing with the glass tile you liked so much?

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    last year

Sorry, I'm going to disagree. I don't think that either of the tiles you showed go with the counter top. And of course it's your decision, but since you asked, you get responses.

I would go with a plain white or gray tile, perhaps a 4" in an offset pattern. The tiles you've shown are quite formal and "glam." But if that's the look you want, then go for it. I personally like a kitchen to be more homey than glamorous!

Elbinay thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • rogershouse
    last year

I think you will love it. The shimmer and the changes in the color will give you just enough contrast but still be very white which seems to be what you are going for. We did something similar with the backsplash; a white subway tile with some shimmer and some minor color striations throughout against a white marble countertop and it came out gorgeous.

• PRO
    last year

I think the Cloe tile would be a perfect complement to your kitchen counter tops and cabinets. I think that the white, gray, and even dark green would be great choices.

• Elbinay
    Original Author
    last year

@Diana Bier Interiors, LLC Do they protrude out of the wall at different/staggered projection lengths? If yes Im sure such a rustic style would not fit with the contemporary space

• Elbinay
    Original Author
    last year

@ffpalms Yes! That is why I was drawn to it originally. In terms of appearance it seems to change visually according to the light in the room and the weather at any given time. A complex tile for sure

• PRO
    last year

@Elbinay it's possible that the surface of the tiles is uneven. If you don't care for that, then that tile isn't for you. Good luck with your project!

• Elbinay
    Original Author
    last year

@Diana Bier Interiors, LLC Thank you, no I wasn't referring to the surface being uneven. I was looking at some of the photos of the Cloe on the website and it looked as if some "jutted out" (for lack of better description), you know, the way some rustic style tiles do (making for an in/out effect). I looked again using my desktop computer and it doesn't look like they do - except in one photo.

• Shasta
    last year

Diana Bier Interiors, can you share a picture of Cloe tile with a countertop that has movement? I’d love to see it.

• PRO
    last year

@Elbinay, it would be best to see the tile at a reputable tile showroom. They will usually have examples of the tile grouted and installed on a board so you have a very good idea of what it will look like. Also make sure you see tiles from current stock for the best representation of the color. Don't rely on photos online or on your phone.

@Shasta I'm sorry but don't have a photo to share with you. The best way to see the two items in question is to bring a sample of the tile home or bring a sample of the counter top material to the tile showroom. There's no shortcut to viewing the products together in real life in situ.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

With this? I put a simple clean WHITE. I think you're looking to make it more, and it doesn't need more. You're trying to make a show stop modern feel? Well, the micro wave is over the range. : )

A crisp white, and the palest palest gray grout if you like.

I see NO amber in the quartz whatsoever.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

It simply means you have a lovely top, and no need to complicate it. I have a micro over the range by the way. .........It is what it is, its the ONLY place it can go: )

The ( gasp!! ) toile wallpaper I still love? Takes your eye off it . Sort of. : )

Elbinay thanked JAN MOYER
  • gtdj519
    last year

I echo yankee

nothing annoys me more than when a member posts looking for advice, and peope take that as an opportunity to nit pick, tear down, and point out everyting thet feel is ” wrong ” wirh the room, wven if it has nothing to do with the posters initial quesrion.

ebanay- your kitchen is coming slong beautiful , and yes, i too have a microwave over my range.

not everyone on here is competing for a show stop room to be featured on the cover of House Beautiful. Most people are just trying to do the best that they can to create a home with beautiful spaces that they love - even if it includes insignificant things that are comsidered ” Faux Pas “to professional designers . It doesnt take much to be kind and courteois to members reaching out for advice or opinions.

Elbinay thanked gtdj519
  • kl23
    last year

I'm not a pro, and you are lucky enough to have attracted two of the best. Diana said the backsplash you first asked about was appropriate for a "glam" feel and didn't feel it was the best match for the countertop. I would add that the very traditional raised-panel cabinets, combined with the countertop call for something else. By the way, are your cabinets white or cream colored? Computers can be such liars. 

Just gonna throw this out to see if the cat licks it up… You like the shimmer, but don't want to compete with the counter… Have you considered a mirrored backsplash? Everything has pros and cons. It might be great or it might not… depending on the rest of the house, what would be reflected, the feel you are trying for. I just thought, based on your original comment, you should have the chance to consider it. 

Another option I've seen lately is using the countertop material as backsplash. That also would not compete with your counter… duh. :-) There's also the option of a mix with one material going up behind the stove as far as the hood/microwave/cabinets (whatever you have), and other materials elsewhere. In some parts of the kitchen, the plain paint you've been living with is fine. I also have that above a thin 3-4 inch strip of countertop. You have the advantage of knowing where the splatters will land and where tile might be nicer. 

That reminds me of the option of putting clear or colored glass over paint or wallpaper. There are lots of options with that approach.

I suppose if you want to go further with getting advice, you might want to show more of the kitchen, determine your focal point, show neighboring rooms so the kitchen can color coordinate. Or maybe that's not what you are interested in. Everyone is different. I look at the whole interior design thing as applied art with additional principals like unity, place, and  function. Or you may not want to think about more than this one thing, which also is fine. Maybe you just really love that tile. If you want it but decide it won't go with your counter, make a trivet from a few pieces and enjoy. There's no harm in that, is there?

Elbinay thanked kl23
  • thinkdesignlive
    last year

I also think the tile is a bit glam and will compete for attention. A simple back painted glass tile to match the cabinets will be a notch above but not too much. Or a crackle glaze from Sonoma Tilemakers would have that artisan look but still read as subtle/solid.

Elbinay thanked thinkdesignlive
  • PRO
    last year

@thinkdesignlive I love the idea of a crackle glaze from Sonoma or any other tile maker!

• plf12652
    last year

I like the tile but I wouldn’t do it in the kitchen….you say it has a shimmer but I am seeing shiny with that little bit of tile….do a whole backsplash and the shininess would be too much.

Elbinay thanked plf12652
  • gtdj519
    last year

I second looking into somoma tilemkers for a few other ideas . i jsit oirchased their irridescent tile for my bathroom and while looking, they had many beauriful solid tioes in soft and beautiful colors, and some unique shapes that could work. the crackle option are also unique and may give you the texture / different look you’re going after. do look into them. beautiful selections also, check out lunada bay. They are similar to sonoma offerings in terms of styles

Elbinay thanked gtdj519
  • coray
    last year

Yes, Sonoma Tilemakers have beautiful and interesting tiles…..at $80+ per sqft (plus shipping) it comes with a hefty price tag, though, so be warned!

Elbinay thanked coray
  • RedRyder
    last year

I agree that you need to make yourself happy, but you came for opinions and ideas. I am not a fan of a shimmery tile when the countertop is such a “star”. Your countertop is so stunning and perfect for your already-lovely kitchen that I feel like we are due for a “Coco Chanel moment” - take one piece of jewelry off before you leave the house.

When you posted all the options, my brain immediately loved the light gray. I think the shimmery-ness of the one you love is overpowering the stunning stone. Can you save that tile for a bathroom redo so it can be used on its own? It really overpowers the kitchen.

If your countertop were simpler, the shimmery tile would be the piece of jewelry the room needed, but it really doesn’t.

And yes, Jan can be harsh but she has “designer eyes” and can’t “not see” stuff she sees.

Elbinay thanked RedRyder
  • Elbinay
    Original Author
    last year

@kl23 thank you for the many ideas and the supportive comments. I am considering everyone's input and am most grateful for all. Right now I am looking at slab, and can live with painted backsplash while I take my time deciding.

It is true my cabinets are traditional, as in doing these updates I did not have the budget to consider new cabinets, although I would have loved to replace with a more modern profile. The rest of the floor is contemporary. Thanks again for taking the time to provide your thoughts. :)

• Elbinay
    Original Author
    last year

@RedRyder Ha, I love the Coco Chanel comment you alluded to. That helps! I'm not concerned with @JAN MOYER's harshness, I know she has a frank style and I am here to take all input into consideration. :)

• kl23
    last year

Elbinay, I like where you are headed.

• RedRyder
    last year

If you need any more encouragement to wait, I waited a year after redoing a new kitchen to find a backsplash. I definitely had “decision fatigue” and I think you need to live with your new kitchen for a while. Paint the backsplash wall a color that is in consideration which will help you when you’re up to reconsidering tile again.

This is not urgent but it’s an important decision.

Elbinay thanked RedRyder
  • Elbinay
    Original Author
    last year

I agree 100% @RedRyder !

• acm
    last year

I like your original tile very much. The last one you posted under varied lighting looks like a less good tonal match. The glass is beautiful and understated.

• Karen McCauley
    last year

Perhaps you could update your traditional cabinets with new doors and drawer fronts to avoid the expense of a total redo.