SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lauren_lail99

Sink placement in kitchen remodel

Lauren Cheung
last year

I know similar questions have been asked, but I am working with something of a unique layout that is causing a lot of design issues. Also, I’m stuck on not wanting to put a sink in my island which I know would solve all my issues. So I’m just wondering if anyone has a similar situation and can lend a creative idea to the mix. We’re a year out from actually executing this and vetting some designers vs do-it-ourselves.

I have an average sized kitchen now that has an island and peninsula counter separating the kitchen from the morning room. I’m considering removing the peninsula (which currently houses the sink) and expanding the island to a 10’ x 5’ for entertaining and to support all the baking I do.

However, if I don’t put the sink into the island I have to put it into the morning room. This would look fine, except the morning room is offset from the kitchen by 28”. So, the island won’t overlap that area. I am concerned we may not be happy with this later. I’m thinking of that space as almost a stand alone wet bar with floating shelves and our wine/coffee/liquors. It will only have base cabinets.

Does this immediately make you think this is a terrible idea? Any other suggestions other than sink on island?

Here’s my draft layout and also some photos of inspo for the morning room area (which will also function as a sitting room and gathering space off the kitchen).

Comments (18)