SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_80329737

What is the waste percentage for granite fabricators?

Alexander
last year
last modified: last year

Hi!

I am planning to remodel my kitchen, installing new granite countertops. The total countertop length is 17'5" and the total countertop surface is about 38 sq ft. I started looking at the granite slabs (which, where I am looking, are 9' x 5' as a minimum and typically 10' x 6' and more) and assumed that one slab should be more than enough for my project, because (as I thought) 10' x 6' can be cut into two 10' x 3' which should have more than enough room for 17'5" length of countertops. This, as I thought, should produce about 37% waste, which can be used for things like backsplash strips.

However, when I started speaking to a kitchen contractor, he was adamant that I need 2, not one slab. His argument boiled down to the fact that they use one slab to produce one length of a countertop, they don't do 2. So, when they take 6' wide slab and they cut 26" countertop, the rest (almost 4' wide!) goes to waste. This, as I can calculate, would produce 68% waste.

Is this correct and fabricators do make that much waste?

Is it not possible to make countertop out of 3'8"-3'10" wide remnant?

P.S. My countertops are expected to have 1 seam near the corner. I will need one 8'8" continuous run, the rest will be small pieces (including one connecting piece). I am also not particularly looking into granite with visible veins, so I'm wondering what can go wrong with regular "speckled" granite.

This is my proposed layout for cutting up a slab, and this is the worst case scenario - smallest slab and widest (6") backsplashes.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!