SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
evelynsmom

Backsplash advice

evelynsmom
last year
last modified: last year

I'm looking for help for both my main bathroom and powder room. The main bathroom will be 6' x 7' and the powder room will be just 33.5" x 67". (We carved out a space under the stairs.)

. The porcelain tiles we were planning to use is Koru Apricot (pic from the manufacturer), on floors and in the tub surround. Tiles are 8" x 48".

Our fixtures will be a bit more basic/ordinary than in this pic, but we might use a paint colour like this for the painted wall. And this is the vanity light fixture we like (3 bulb version for main bathroom; 2 bulb version for powder room).

But I just realized that I will need some type of backsplash in the main bathroom and maybe in the powder room as well. My hubby and kids are pretty splashy when washing their hands, so it's not a question of whether they will splash, but how much.

For the main bathroom, my vanity will fill much of the wall area (but not all), and will likely go either all the way to the floor or most of the way. For the powder room, it might be smaller-scale, possibly attached to the wall.

There will be a medicine cabinet above each vanity. Something large with 3 sections above the main bathroom vanity (48") and a 24" medicine cabinet above the 24" vanity in the powder room.

Do I need a backsplash for the entire wall above my main bathroom vanity? Does the size of my tiles (8" x 48") change your thoughts at all?

My contractor thinks my powder room will feel too closed in if I do a backsplash in the powder room and suggested a vanity with a built-in backsplash. I haven't found a lot like that where I live in Canada, so my choices seem extremely limited (found 1 in glossy white, and the backsplash was only 2" high, which doesn't seem enough.) Just wondering if anyone has a cost-effective suggestion to protect my walls, and that would work with my floor tiles? Thank you!

Comments (6)