SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paule595

How can I extend the counter to install a dishwasher?

paule595
last year

Hello, I am looking to install a dishwasher in my kitchen that does not have one currenty. what would be the best way to accomplish this?

I have a few ideas.

Find an absolute black granite remnant and attach it to the existing absolute black granite. Install a dishwasher on the right side and a 12” lower cab on the left to fill in the space.

Cut the existing granite back a couple inches to get a flat edge. Get a butcher block 31-36” long and attach the butcher block to the granite. Install the dishwasher on the right and a 12” cab cabinet on the left

Rip out the exisiting granite and completley replace with an 8’ slab. (if i do this is there a way i can repurpuse the old granite? would hate to see it go to waste does not look that old) install the dishwasher on the right and 12” cabinet on the left (same as other 2 options)

There is one issue i forsee with the top 2 options. its the fact the dishwasher would be up against the seem connecting the granite to the granite/butcher block. I have heard mixed reviews on if this would be okay or not. read some things on here that the epoxy used for the seem would make all the difference. i am still worried that the seem woulnt hold up and damage my counter. Is there anything that can be installed to protect the seem?

Also, if i go the butcher block route in 4-5 years when my budget is higher i may put a complete new slab of granite in. In 5-7 years this will most likely be a rental property.

what am i not thinking of?

Adhere Granite to Granite
Adhere Granite to Butcher block
All new granite (prefer not to do this)

Comments (7)