SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_314998674

Is rain water getting into walls - thermal camera?

I'm about to finalize the purchase of a new construction townhouse and throughout the building process I have been concerned about water intrusion. After I move in, I'm wondering if there's a way to tell if rain water is making it into the walls from the outside (before it gets to the point of dripping / rippling the paint)?

Context/history:

• Even after the walls were up and roof was on, there were numerous occasions where there were puddles/pools of water on the floor (wood sub-floor).
  • I had a mold inspection done and in fact all 4 places they swabbed came back positive so the developer had to go through the remediation process.
  • Even after remediation, I was still periodically finding water in the house - some of it might be explainable since the home was still being finished but I'm skeptical that it was the reason for all of it.

The mold inspector had a tool (I think it was a thermal camera) that she pointed towards the ceiling and it told her whether there was water there -- I think because wet spots would show up cooler than their surrounding, but I'm not sure.

Is that the best way to tell if rainwater is making it in through the exterior and soaking the insulation (before it's visible in drips or rippling paint). If so, can anyone recommend their favorite thermal camera to buy?

[Note: I just want to be able to monitor after some heavy rainstorms - if I get a reading that suggests water intrusion then I would hire a professional company to come verify.]

Thanks!

Comments (7)