SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artemis78

What accent color for BM Bryant Gold?

artemis78
last year
last modified: last year

We are using Bryant Gold with off-white trim on the exterior of our house, and are on the hunt for an accent color that will work for window sashes. After going through a dozen reds and purples, we're pivoting to a gray-green or olive green instead.

Does anyone have a favorite accent they've used with Bryant Gold or a similar earthy gold that has worked well, either inside or out? Benjamin Moore's suggestions aren't quite right for this use and we're stuck. Thank you!

Here's the Bryant Gold from the BM site, though outside it reads a bit more tan/ochre:

It will be paired with either a creamy or a gray-leaning white (75-80 LRV), depending on what works best with the accent color we land on.

Comments (50)

• Jilly
    last year

This beauty has a Bryant Gold body with BM Olivetone. I’m not sure if you’re wanting more contrast than this, though.

What is the style of your house?

https://www.houzz.com/hznb/projects/farmhouse-reimagined-pj-vj~8980

The red trim is Marvin (cladding) Wineberry, here’s a match:

https://www.myperfectcolor.com/paint/75054-marvin-windows-and-doors-wineberry-metal

A color expert will have to say what white would work with any of these. I’m not one!

I played with Swiss Coffee, but again, someone knowledgable would need to say if it works or not.

I love Bryant Gold, great color.

artemis78 thanked Jilly
  • Related Discussions

What accent color to use with BM van courtland blue?

Q

Comments (8)
    I would also suggest orange, but with a easier-to-hear name like Coral. ;-) I am thinking of a deep, earthy kind of orange, leaning toward red with a touch of brown. Here's a link for coral (literally) and blue together. Here is a link that might be useful: coral & blue
    ...See More

Accent color suggestions for BM Weston Flax

Q

Comments (1)
    This is my inspiration pic for BM Starburst Orange
    ...See More

Accent color for BM Berkshire Beige?

Q

Comments (11)
    Oh my, thanks for the suggestions Annie! I'm a bit more overwhelmed now though, lol! I will try to post pics of the space to give a better perspective. I really like the berkshire beige but I see how you would think it is kind of dark for all that space. The great room and foyer have 18' ceilings with the main part of the balcony overlooking the great room. We will have oak trim stained special walnut. The floors in the great room, foyer and possibly dining area will be a medium/dark hardwood. The fireplace in the great room will have ledgestone all the way up to the ceiling and we will have cabinets installed on each side of the fireplace in a medium maple color (matches the trim). I hope all this makes sense. Thanks again- I'm going to check out the colors you suggested.
    ...See More

Accent color for BM Palladian Blue Bathroom?

Q

Comments (4)
    We have a similar paint color in our master bath (medium oak cabinet instead of dark) and for years I had dark blue and rose towels. They've finally worn out and I was really sick of the rose, so I went looking for a "splash of color". I went to Target and bought a floor rug in every single color, except burgundy because it doesn't go with the new color scheme in the bedroom which is greens and blues, they had in the Waverly line (their Thomas O'Brien and Fieldcrest lines are great, but costs twice as much and we're not really that hard on towels). DH and I laid them out and analyzed. A few we ruled out right away. DH didn't like the Hotel Gold, but that might work for you with the yellowish sink top. We settled on Loch Ness, a mossy green shade. I wouldn't have thought it would work, but it did. You might try the burgundy as well. Anyhow, the cashier looked at me kind of funny when I checked out 8 different colors of the same rug, but she understood when I explained. It really helped to see them firsthand. I was surprised by what we ended up choosing, but like it very much.
    ...See More
  • Jilly
    last year

I love that color, Judianna. Especially if Artemis wants more contrast. Beautiful!

artemis78 thanked Jilly
  • artemis78
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you! Yes, we have some lighter olive/sage samples we'd been considering for the body of the house so that's how we ended up considering it for the accent instead. It's a stucco Craftsman house, so we have wide window trim (currently planning for off white) and prominent rafters that will be painted in the accent color to match the window sashes.

We are actually going to be replacing two of the windows with Marvin and would love to color match to one of their colors to be able to do aluminum clad, so had tried the Wineberry initially but weren't loving it with the gold. (Not a deal breaker if we don't match a Marvin color, though, as we'll just get wood trim instead--those are the only two windows likely to be replaced, and all the rest are wood.)

I have a Swiss Coffee sample jar from another recent project so we can test that. Our neighbor has White Dove and that's the whitest we want to go, but an off-white with a lower LRV works too.

• artemis78
    Original Author
    last year

(Just realized the lighter sample green we'd liked against the gold, Carolina Gull, is 2038-40, so just a strip over from the Dakota Woods Green--Mohegan Sage and Green Grove are the darker colors on that strip, and also very similar.)

• elcieg
    last year

I guess the three of us are on the same page...all loving the olive/sage tones. Here is a Craftsman. Ignore the roof green. It is the dark green on the window trim I want you to see.

• tracefloyd
    last year

Have you gone to the BM store or online to see what they say you should pair it with? They know what undertones they put in their own paint so you know the colors will harmonize....not clash or look off.

artemis78 thanked tracefloyd
  • artemis78
    Original Author
    last year

@tracefloyd yes--unfortunately they pair it with lighter colors where the gold is the accent, and the only color that is on a strip we could potentially move up for more contrast goes to a chartreuse color that doesn't really work.

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    last year

Definitely go in a gray-green or dark green direction. I'm a big fan of BM Heather Gray:

I'd also look at Tarrytown Green:

artemis78 thanked Sabrina Alfin Interiors
  • tracefloyd
    last year

Okay artemis78, thank you for responding. I have solved this dilemma. Bryant Gold is part of Benjamin Moore's Historical Collection. All colors in paint makers' collections are made to coordinate with any other color or colors within the same collection.

They do this for us for the same reasons I mentioned earlier. Personally, I would play it safe and choose something from that palette. I have found that the chips that look great together in your hand can look weird once they go up and then-ugh-the question...do we live with it or repaint? lol

I am attaching the link to their Historical Collection, you will see your Bryant Gold included:

https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-colors/historical-collection

• artemis78
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you @tracefloyd--that is super helpful, as I didn't realize that about the Historical Collection! We have the brochure for that, which has many of the color chips, so will go through that tonight to see what we can find that might work.

• Lori Sawaya
    last year

Benjamin Moore's suggestions aren't quite right for this use and we're stuck.

Paint brands use algorithms to create palette suggestions. Which is why sometimes they seem odd or look off.

And there is no color strategy built into collections or fandecks either. Their marketing might say there is but technically, factually it's not true.

Bryant Gold's hue family is the end of the Yellow-Red hue family right at the beginning of the Yellow hue family. (it's marked with a star below)

When you know what hue family a color belongs to, it's easy to map out all possible color relationships and then shop the harmonies.

Decide how many colors you want/need to use and then choose your scheme.

Next it's just a matter of finding colors from those hue families in the lightness and colorfulness you want. For example all the colors in your scheme have similar lightness Value or similar Chroma.

Or you can play with lighter trim, darker body. Bold colorful body and accent with neutral trim color, etc.

You have options. As long as you stay within the template of the color scheme mapped out on the color wheel, you can't overthink it or mess it up.

When you feel the palette you put together is pretty, you're done.

artemis78 thanked Lori Sawaya
  • tracefloyd
    last year

That's good to know.

@Lori SawayaWhere did you find that great chart?

• Lori Sawaya
    last year

I made it. 🙂

You can find color data profiles, like the one for Bryant Gold at the top, for major paint brands onThe Paint Color DNA Table.

The harmony wheels are at the bottom of this page 88 Harmonious Hue Family Relationships.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year

This gold is very dark and has a lot of black in the color. Are you sure you want this for your home?

artemis78 thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • Jilly
    last year

That doesn’t look like Bryant Gold. ^^

It’s a real estate photo and looks either overly saturated or in weird lighting, whatever color it is.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

I need to see a pic of the house we are all talking about.How are any of you answering without any idea of the house .

• Jilly
    last year

She said it’s a stucco Craftsman, Patricia. That gives a very good idea. Did you not read the thread?

I can’t speak for Artemis, but not everyone wants to post the exterior of their house on this very public website. I wouldn’t. It’s not necessary in every case.

• tracefloyd
    last year

Never thought of that....social media. We got no haters here, tho. Designers are very nice people.

• artemis78
    Original Author
    last year

There is actually another long thread from when we were first starting to figure out the colors that has a photo (address stripped off!)--can add it here too. It's a fairly basic California Craftsman, though (which you'd think would make it easy to find similar color schemes and choose, but...)

Basics: Steps will stay the same (rusty-colored stained concrete) though we may restain at some point in the future. We'll stick with a three-color scheme and are leaning towards an off-white for the trim. Jalousie windows above/below the big picture window will be painted in the window scheme instead of matched to the house color, so there will be bit more color in the front. We will be rebuilding the trellis in the front with redwood and training the existing wisteria back along it--when full, it covers much of the front of the house (though it got hacked back painfully to prep for the painting and so the trellis could be replaced, so could be a few years!)

The Bryant Gold is already a step down in darkness from DH's original pick, BM Turmeric--read of someone whose south-facing Turmeric side went pink, so we went back to the drawing board and focused on the colors without the organic pigments that don't do well in UV light. The Bryant Gold actually doesn't have black in the formula at all--the sample reads quite yellow, though honestly it's hard to tell against the existing lavender (and the paint store did caution that the Benjamin Moore sample paint tends to be a bit lighter than the color will be when mixed in Aura Exterior, which is what we're painting with). The challenge we had with the deep red/purple accent colors we started with was that it seemed like it had the potential to lean towards the McDonald's color scheme--hard no!

The other colors we gave serious consideration to were sage greens and light blues, but we are in between two blue houses and across from a green and two gray-green ones. One of the next-door blue houses is a mirror image of ours, directly next to it, and is BM Yarmouth Blue with dark blue trim, so we want to be mindful of not picking anything too close.

• Jilly
    last year

I deleted my post before yours, as was rambling and it wasn’t relevant.

Can’t wait to see ’afters’! I swear, my memory has gotten so bad … I forgot about your other threads. I even posted on one! 🤣

• artemis78
    Original Author
    last year

Here's the Bryant Yellow (small yellow swatch above the BM Turmeric--we later painted a larger one on poster board because painting prep was starting) and a few of the sea of samples we tried in other directions, plus a better shot of the concrete color.

The colors along the right of the window below are Yellow Oxide, Coventry Gray, Englewood Cliffs, Carolina Gull, High Park, Turmeric, and Sage Mountain. Underneath are Stratton Blue, a green I can't remember (might be Weekend Getaway?), and Audubon Russet (which I loved as a house color, but couldn't sell to DH--we got it as a potential accent color, but it's too light for that).

You can see our neighbors' house reflected in the window--it is very close (and very blue!) I might have picked the Stratton Blue were it not for that, but it is too close to the Yarmouth.

• Maureen
    last year

From the BM historical collection

artemis78 thanked Maureen
  • artemis78
    Original Author
    last year

(Checking my Samplize orders to remind myself which green is in the photo--it is indeed Weekend Getaway--I also see that I apparently got samples of October Mist from both Samplize and in actual paint from our paint store, so clearly I am winning at this one! 😂)

• RedRyder
    last year

The dark olive is a good choice for trim but the blue that @Maureen posted looks gorgeous! Please get a sample of that as well. Definitely reads Craftsman.

• artemis78
    Original Author
    last year

Our neighbors happened to drop off a bunch of samples of the historical collection blues and blue/greens, though not sure that one is among them:

DH is thinking the lighter olive green/gray colors might work well, and i'm giving some serious consideration to trying to color match the Marvin Clay color (which would make our lives easier when we replace two windows, though is certainly not a requirement).

The Marvin bronze leans more charcoal, may have potential too:

Need to go see these both in person with the sample, though.

• artemis78
    Original Author
    last year

Was able to get the Marvin Clay color sample--happily it was in the Benjamin Moore database! It's pretty true to what I see on screen, and I think might be a winner.

• artemis78
    Original Author
    last year

@Lori Sawaya I'm playing with the color wheel a bit and curious--a friend suggested we consider BM Hathaway Gold and BM Dorset Gold, which are slightly lighter golds. If I'm understanding the wheel correctly, these two have very similar values to BM Bryant Gold for almost everything, except that they are just the other side of the Yellow-Red/Yellow cutoff so are part of the Yellow family instead. It seems like the primary difference is in LRV, which makes sense, as they are lighter shades than the Bryant. Am I understanding that correctly? Thank you--your site is so helpful!

• Lori Sawaya
    last year

Yes, you are on the right track.

It's reasonable to say that all three colors essentially have the same hue family. Because they are in such a tight range at the end of Yellow-Red, verging on Yellow.

You're right about lightness and brightness; I put them in order from darkest to lightest in the view below.

Although you will likely arrive at the same conclusion comparing colors by lightness whether you use Value or LRV it can be helpful to know that they are not the same.

Value is a better indicator of how light/ dark a color looks. Because it's a quantified visual judgment compared to a gray scale.

LRV is a measurement and it has one job. It tells you how much light a color reflects.

LRV does not speak directly to how light or dark a color looks. That's Value's job and it does it better than LRV.

I would also suggest considering Chroma. The reason Dorset looks noticeably different from Bryant is because it's lighter AND it is less colorful. In other words,

Bryant has a - slightly - more intense nuance because it is bolder and darker compared to the other two.

Exterior, it's lightness that will differentiate the colors most, chroma second and difference in hue isn't relevant IMO.

• artemis78
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you! So we are inching towards a decision (before our painters kill us...) We settled on Hathaway Gold--found a building down the street that is a very close match to Dorset, and it is quite light once it's on the entire building, so feels like a decent compromise--less color than that Bryant but (hopefully!) not beige.

Now we are on to the accent color, which we'll use for our window sashes and garage door. (The trim will be off-white, though which off-white depends on the accent--lightest option is White Dove, and more likely something like China White. We'd go as dark as Natural Wicker if it will contrast enough with the accent color.) DH wants a light gray-green color--he's dubbed Boothbay Gray the right intensity "if it were just green instead of blue." I gave up on color matching the Marvin windows, though Pebble Gray (which is close to BM Cathedral Gray) might work. The Clay was deemed too dark.

Here are a few we tried out. The gold on the house is slightly lighter/more yellow in our sample outside, and I assume the gray green will also read a bit lighter in the natural light. Any thoughts on this one? The front of our house faces due north and gets muted light; the back is south-facing and gets a lot of direct sun (but also, no one really sees that side so we care less about how the colors play there). I used China White for all of these for simplicity, but we're open on which off-white to use.

• artemis78
    Original Author
    last year

Thinking Sage Mountain (second photo down). China White for the trim, or White Dove? BM recommends China White for the Sage Mountain, and White Dove for the Hathaway Gold, and (independently of either rec!) we were considering both on the short list. White Dove is quite a bit more white, but our neighbors have it on the same house in the same light so we know roughly how it will play. China White is more of an unknown.

• artemis78
    Original Author
    last year

Ha, just kidding. Sage Mountain got vetoed by the other decider for being too dark in the afternoon sun. Now we are between Gettysburg Gray and Cape May Cobblestone (which I worry may be too light to contrast with the trim). This is with Linen White, but we could also go lighter with White Dove. Also a glimpse of the other neighboring blue house (though that is an older paint job, so may not stay that color too much longer).

• RedRyder
    last year

The Gettysburg Gray works well.

artemis78 thanked RedRyder
  • artemis78
    Original Author
    last year

Final decision: Back to the Bryant Gold after the Hathaway Gold sample looked too beige. Back to the Sage Mountain to make sure we had enough contrast with the trim. Went with BM Swiss Coffee for the trim in an eleventh hour switch, so fingers crossed that works out (since the sun didn't come out to doublecheck the sample today!) Will post a photo once we're done in case it helps others in the future. Thank you for the help!

• Jilly
    last year

Good luck! Can’t wait see afters. :)

• artemis78
    Original Author
    last year

Our neighbor joked that after their recent project and ours, we can open a paint sample library for the neighborhood...

• artemis78
    Original Author
    last year

Aaaand now the first coat of the Swiss Coffee is on and I'm mildly panicking because it looks too bright. Gah. (The body paint is not on yet, though, so it's still against a lavender...hoping it mellows against the gold!) I thought it was slightly less white than the current color, but it is pretty brassy white. Hopefully just because it's new and the old paint was faded and grungy...

• RedRyder
    last year

Don’t judge it against the old color!

artemis78 thanked RedRyder
  • artemis78
    Original Author
    last year

Trying to quell my worries by reminding myself that we spent tons of time testing the large color boards with our neighbor's White Dove trim and were happy with that, so the Swiss Coffee should turn out a little less white/bright by the time all is said and done. Luckily for my nerves, we'll be away for a few days and will come home to a gold house if everything stays on schedule, so will miss most of the in-between phases.

• Lori Sawaya
    last year

Swiss Coffee should turn out a little less white/bright by the time all is said and one.

They are really close. Many couldn't see a difference between the two.

But, yes, the numbers agree with that.

• artemis78
    Original Author
    last year

Admittedly, my husband didn't see a difference between the two--but also didn't see a difference between those two and the China White or Linen White, the other two contenders, so.... (I decided against those two in the end because I was worried they would lean yellow against the gold, so the reality is that if I hadn't switched to the Swiss Coffee at the last minute, we'd have stuck with the White Dove and would likely have been in exactly the same boat!)

• artemis78
    Original Author
    last year

Not quite done, but very close! Bryant Gold with Swiss Coffee trim and Sage Mountain accent (all Benjamin Moore). The gold reads more tan/ochre on the north-facing side of the house, but is closer to the sample swatch/rendering on the south-facing side where it gets direct sun. Very glad we didn't go with the lighter golds because I think they might well have pushed into the beige zone (but DH is still wishing we'd been braver and gone with BM Turmeric!) Gray-green accent color is too dark for his taste and too light for mine, so I guess that means we hit the sweet spot??

And here's what the Benjamin Moore Color Viewer thought it would look like--not too far off:

I think we could have gone with a more off-white trim, but the Swiss Coffee also worked out fine in the end. Still needs new mailbox, house numbers, and wisteria trellis, but one thing at a time.

• Jilly
    last year

Artemis, it looks fabulous! Wow! That color is perfect — charming, warm, and welcoming. I like the contrast with the house next door, too.

Thank you for showing us! You must be relieved it’s on, and looks so good. Great choice. :)

artemis78 thanked Jilly
  • artemis78
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you! I'm happy with how it turned out overall, even if I'm still not in love with the accent color. The new trellis along the front of the house will be redwood, so once that's in I think it will also add some visual accents to the gold too.

• la_la Girl
    last year

oh my gosh your house looks terrific! It looks like it has always been that color in the "meant to be" sort of way - you must be THRILLED

artemis78 thanked la_la Girl
  • artemis78
    Original Author
    last year

@la_la Girl the funny part is that it's probably more interesting than it originally was--the family who lived here in the 1920s sent us a photograph of the house taken about 10 years after it was built. (The father was a professional photographer and it was in his archives--lucky us!) It's not in color, of course, but the stucco is clearly very light--most likely still unpainted. Hard to tell from the photo, but it looks like the trim and windows were all the same color.

Those garage doors still make me swoon--sadly the previous owner took them out just before we bought the house to put in an automatic garage door.

• la_la Girl
    last year

Oh I love the garage doors -- we have lots of those in our neighborhood - they are SO charming. How amazing to have an original photo!

it's hard when owners take out original fixtures, a previous owner in our house took out all the original light fixtures and replaced them with commercial lighting from the 70's - I can't even explain the rationale 😅 took us a long time to get everything back to look like it should have - but these old houses are a total labor of love & so worth it

• RedRyder
    last year

It looks great! If you’re not happy with the trim in a few months you can renegotiate the color with your husband. The main color is totally charming!

• artemis78
    Original Author
    last year

LOL, for what painting costs around here, I will definitely learn to love the sage! 😂 (We did have the painters skip two windows that are due for replacement, though, so they're still black--it actually looks quite nice, and not at all bumblebee-like, which was the worry.)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!