SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bookreply

What color to paint these kitchen cabinets? Which white??

bookreply
last year

Ready to paint these cabinets, but need help with paint color. Really want white and have gotten lots of paint chips and several samplize samples. Do not want a paint that looks yellow in the western light.

Have tried Simply White, Snowfall White, White Dove, Cloud White, Oxford White, Super White, and Chantilly Lace from Benjamin Moore and Pure White from Sherwin Williams. The only acceptable one is Chantilly Lace which is very bright. Doesn't look blue or yellow.

Room faces west, so in the afternoon, Pure White looks like an ugly gray-blue yellow. The others turn highlighter yellow.

JAN MOYER suggested I post a picture of the kitchen and solicit ideas from fellow Houzz users. Maybe white isn't the only choice? Chantilly Lace looked OK with both the tan brown granite (not being changed) and the undulated cream backsplash (not being changed). But it IS a very bright white.

I want a warm color, but no gray.

Would like a pale color that "reads" as a white kitchen.

Can be Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore color.

Any suggestions? I know it's hard to visualize with all this red-cherry color. Stainless appliances going in this afternoon.

Comments (16)

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    last year

I am not a color expert - there are a couple n here that will hopefully pop in.

What about the color you have on the walls?? That looks nice in the pictures and is must work well with your western exposure.

Just a thought

• Related Discussions

What wall color did you paint your kitchen with white cabinets?

Q

Comments (42)
    BM London Fog. It looks great against our white cabinets and our quartz is VERY close to your color from what I can tell. The London Fog matches the background tone of the quartz nicely and the white cabinets give it a fresh, clean, updated look. Not the best picture because our deck outside casts a pink tone to our wall, but you can see the quartz, wall color and white door in this pic to see how they work together. Here is a better picture of the wall color over by the ovens and up against the cabinetry. It looks darker here than it typically does in the light of day.
    ...See More

what is the best white paint color for kitchen cabinets???

Q

Comments (2)
    Depends on whether you want a warmer undertone or a more grayer one. I like BM Mayonnaise, Chantilly Lace for an ivory look. Simply white for a really white look, and Benj Moore OC-17 White dove for a slightly grayer undertone white. Bring your counter, tile,etc to your local paint shop and get help looking at it under natural light. Or call a designer!
    ...See More

Which color white paint for the cabinets?

Q

Comments (31)
    tkerri, you said they do all the necessary steps. I asked if you knew what their prepping steps were, and what they use. don't just say, "they prime the cabinets". I want to know (and you should too) HOW they prep and prime. ask them to be specific. do they sand, do the clean, to they prime and sand again, what products are they using,,etc And, are they doing everything at your home? another red flag. These should be taken back to their shop for spraying. I know you're asking about a color, but honestly, the color won't matter much if it's peeling off in 3 months.
    ...See More

What color to paint kitchen cabinets with off white molding/trim

Q

Comments (2)
    Someone in the past posted her kitchen using Farrow and Ball Pigeon. I love this green and think it could compliment your floor and granite.
    ...See More
  • dan1888
    last year

If you go with BM they have Cabinet Coat and Advance, both specific paint formulated for cabinets.

• elcieg
    last year

I am surprised why one of the best B.M. whites never gets any attention. It is gorgeous and it is just plain white. B.M. White OC 151.

• bookreply
    Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

Thanks for the suggestions. I agree that gray looks good with the granite, but I don't decorate in gray. My goal is to have the granite look OK with the other things. Doesn't have to look great, just not stick out like a sore thumb. The granite and the backsplash have to stay as they are unfortunately.

The paints that have a yellowish cast don't look right with the granite and I appreciate your help in looking for alternatives. I also appreciate the idea of priming the walls in the adjoining breakfast area to cover up the yellow paint and help in the decision making. I will also put white sheets over the cabinets to take away the cherry cast on the paint samples.

Someone suggested snowbound. I actually have a sample chip of that and thought about it, but looked at some pictures on the internet of snowbound and it seemed to look light brown instead of white-ish. Might have just been the way it looked on my computer monitor. Does snowbound have a white-ish look on cabinets?

I like the idea of a very light warm color instead of stark white. And I like soft white light.

Beth H, thank you for the photos and examples. Do you have any idea what that color is on the cabinets where there are two red canisters on the counter?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

but I don't decorate in gray. My goal is to have the granite look OK with the other things.

it's not gray!. None of the colors I suggested for you is 'Gray'. They are a griege. a beige color that isn't yellow or tan.

Any of the taupes would also work.

You're thinking of a gray that is a blue gray, or a dull battleship color.

Like these:

That's not what those tones are. (the ones I suggested) They are grays or beiges that have red/orange undertones and take them to taupe or griege shades, all of which go perfectly w/your stone.

Try them on your walls.

If you can, replace that fan light w/this light. Bergamot. I have it in my house w/3LED 100W bulbs. it has amazing light and looks so pretty. (you can do lower wattage if you prefer)

I mean, you have a yellow shade there currently, and that really isn't working.

try some of those others I photoshopped in for the cabinet on your wall. (revere pewter, or the other taupe tones) Try BM Athena and see how you like it. or Balboa Mist.

snowbound does not have brown in it. it's white that leans over to the red side of the wheel instead of yellow.

Even against pure white, you can see the slight pink undertone. (you won't see the pink once it's up. It just won't give off a yellow hue)

Try Ibis White too

Any of these except Alabaster should work fine w/your stone

These oak cabs were painted in snowbound.

I still think something like this would be a better match (unless someday down the line you plan on changing out your granite??)

some other wall colors you could consider for the area w/this granite. any of these should work w/the stone. Take a look at Pacer White. it might be better than a brighter white. just get samples

Here's a before/after shot.

In the after the cabs were painted BM Gray Mist. It still looks white and bright, but not so white that it works against the granite

I put that light in this pic w/hardware. I'd fill in all of the holes prior to priming the cabs and get some nice handles. (buy the contractors pack off amazon) black or the polished nickel. handles look better than those tiny knobs

Last suggestion. the gap above the uppers. since you're going through all the hassle of getting these painted, how about you close up the gap to the ceiling?

There are diff ways to do this. The one above is good idea for your uneven tops.

or,

look how much better this looks:

you could remove your current crown, get a crown riser, and a diff crown to top it.

• RedRyder
    last year

I’m not a pro, but I would throw in Antique by SW. It’s an ivory and probably would look better with your countertop (and any future ones you may have the chance to purchase) and it isn’t as “stark” against the granite as white-white.

I used SW Creamy for my kitchen but it may be too yellow for you. Worth getting a sample of it and Antique white.

All my walls are SW Antique because I have walnut stained woodwork on every door, some built in cabinets, a tray ceiling and Craftsman posts. Pure whites would have made the house look like I left the dry wall unpainted. Stark whites can be too much against browns. My house has a lot of brown…l

• bookreply
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you for all the suggestions. And would welcome any more colors you might think of. I've made a list and am going to pick up paint chips tomorrow.

I already had a large chip of snowbound, so took photos against my backsplash and floor. The chip is very close to the color of my tile and I think looks good with my granite and with the floor. What do you think? Would it look OK to have the cabinets almost the same color as the backsplash?

It's funny how these photographed so differently. My camera definitely picked up the pink undertones in the granite.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

Looks nice. always have a sample door painted before you commit fully to that color.

who is paintingi your cabs?

Do you know what steps they are doing? ALL of them? sanding? priming?

Are they spraying or brushing?

Make sure they fill those holes prior to priming.

Is there a guarantee?

Are they taking them back to their shop to paint?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year

Match the backsplash

And remove the ceiling fan or change it out so you get a better quality light than you are currently getting from those fan lights.

• bookreply
    Original Author
    last year

I've been reading more about Snowbound. Like Kylie M's review. Now I'm a bit afraid of the pink undertones and am afraid I won't find a wall color I like to go with it in the adjoining room. Need a similar cream without the pink-violet tones. Hmmmmm..... This room is smack dab in the middle of my house and if I go towards gray/pink there, it won't go with the warms in my other rooms. My husband is partially color-blind. I'm starting to get jealous of him!!

My painter sprays the cabinets and takes the doors off-site to paint.

• freedomplace1
    last year

Wood is en vogue. and I am seriously considering installing some cherry cabs myself. Very cost effective right now - plus I like it. It’s very rich. It is not the most popular of the wood options right now. I don’t care about trends, but I also know that cherry will be having a resurgence - it’s just a matter of time. And if you are getting stainless appliances, they will work very well with your current wood.

All this being said: if you want to paint the cabinets - make sure you get a good painter, as @Johnson Brothers Contracting advises. If not - you run the risk of ruining the cabinets, and needing to replace them all. For the price of a good paint job, you might also consider looking into refacing. If you are going to go with white and must keep the backsplash - as @BeverlyFLADeziner suggests, your best bet is probably to match the backsplash. And with that, consider doing dark hardware - because you will need the contrast against all that white / and it will also tie in with the granite.

If it were my space, and I wanted to paint - I wouldn’t do white. I would do Urbane Bronze on the lowers and island base - and a beige or taupe on the uppers. So I would consider painting the backsplash to match and or complement the uppers in that scheme. And I would do gold and/or bronze hardware. The pic below just shows the general concept of how it might look with Urbane Bronze on lowers. Disregard the backsplash and various tile.

ETA: And I would probably install some glass in a few of the uppers.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

Does he sand and prime first? oil base primer? you need to find out. if he just lightly deglazes and then sprays, the paint will chip within months.

Do you have a hardware picked out? make sure the holes are filled if you're changing. I think pulls would look better.

Have your painter paint a few of your doors w/sample colors. You can't pick a color off a paint chip. snowbound is not pink. You can easily find wall colors that work with it. Dpn't worry about that now.

Although, check out some of these. (I still like these colors for your cabinets, but they would also work for the walls)

IMO, any of these whites you're considering are going to look very stark against that granite. Just like this one (this is your granite)

Pick your cabinet color and have him paint a door for you. bring it in your home and make sure your lighting is updated. In fact, have him prime all of your base cabinets that are staying on site. That red color really throws off the look for choosing a white.

(did you see the photos I posted of the cabs painted snowbound? do they look pink to you?

Snowbound:

Snowbound: (neither of these appear pink)

Did you look at Balboa Mist? it would be a nice wall color or cabinet color

These are also nice. look at Seapearl. for cabs or wall. Pashmina is a nice taupe. the middle one may be too yellowish

Try reading some of these links and see if it helps.

https://lifeonsummerhill.com/best-sherwin-williams-white-for-cabinets

https://thetarnishedjewelblog.com/2021/11/22/9-best-sherwin-williams-white-paint-colors/

https://www.paintedbykaylapayne.com/the-best-colors-for-off-white-kitchen-cabinets/

https://www.thegritandpolish.com/blog/we-sampled-8-popular-white-paint-colors-here-are-our-favorites

• Jennifer Hogan
    last year

I'm seeing white trim around the doors and am guessing that color is in the rest of the house. Do you know what color white your trim is and do you like the way it looks throughout your home?

Whites can be tricky. A small sample seldom looks white, but by the time we paint an entire wall and aren't looking at one square foot in the middle of 100 sq feet of something else our minds stop doing comparisons and just see the color.

The other thing is, that whites fight with each other. Have you ever bought a white pair of shorts thinking it would work with a white shirt or shirt with white in it only to bring it home and one of the two whites makes the other look dirty or dingy or yellow or or or.

That is why I suggested the same white as your trim. You also have the white backsplash. The photos suggest that the two work well together, but computers don't always render the colors well. The white you choose has to work with the whites you already have unless you are planning on changing those whites.

When your painting a color next to white trim as long as your not painting too light of a color you can get away with a white that isn't the perfect match and no one will really take notice.

My sister just moved into assisted living. She had limited selections for flooring, cabinets, countertops, was taking furniture from her last home and could pick any wall color that could be covered in one coat of primer and one coat of paint (nothing too dark or vivid). What she couldn't change at all was the white trim and doors. SW Extra White. We picked Natural linen for her walls - worked with everything else she picked. SW Extra White is not the best white with Natural Linen, but it looks fine because there aren't other whites to compete with it or for your eye to compare to it. It really just looks like white trim and doors.

When comparing on the computer screen Extra White looks really green/gray next to natural linen, but the undertones are so slight and the color so light that you don't really see it next to the strength and large scale of Natural Linen.

Since you have tested everything and are still unhappy with your choices I am going to suggest one that I fell in love with years ago and have used in a white on white home and for trim in two other homes. It is warmer than Chantilly Lace, making it less stark. Instead of a yellow undertone that you see with Simply White it has more of a peach undertone, giving it a touch of warmth without that discernable yellow. The LRV is similar to Chantilly Lace and Simply White. To test it you would have to have a sample mixed at a Benjamin Moore store. The color is Devine Color Icing and is in their computer system.

Again, Computer renditions don't always do the best at displaying color but here are some comparisons:

This is Devine Icing with the color I chose for my foyer (Frosted Toffee)

This is Devine Icing next to Frosted Toffee in my home

Doesn't appear yellow or peach, just looks white.

• Jennifer Hogan
    last year

Here is what happens when you mix whites vs using white next to a color as shown above

Cool white counter and window trim with warm white cabinets

• Jacquelyn Mari
    2 months ago

I am curious what the original poster did ??? Update please.

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals