SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meg_eh

Nervous about painting orangey maple cabinets

Hi all! My husband and i just moved into a house built in 2002.Not much has been updated since it was built, so we’ve been making minor changes and upgrades here and there, like switching out light fixtures and painting.

My issue right now is this kind of strange (but very functional) wall of maple cabinets at the end of the kitchen. It’s a lot for the eye to take in, particularly because the maple cabinets have taken on a bit of an orangey hue. I removed the 2 foot long brushed nickel handles on the bottom cabinets, and the long horizontal pulls on the uppers, which helped a lot. I used wood filler on the holes, and it’s a pretty close match for color, but still visible. The cabinets boxes and shelves are made of some kind of MDF material with a faux maple finish, and the cabinet doors are solid maple. Pretty standard builder-grade cabinetry.

I would like to sand down the holes where the hardware used to be, paint the cabinets a soft sand color, and install new hardware in unlaquered brass. The walls have recently been painted in Benjamin Moore white dove, as the original gray color read a little green in the eastern light. Eventually we’ll replace the slate tile floors with hardwood, but it’s not in the budget right now.

I’m feeling a little gun-shy about painting wood cabinets, even though parts of them are made of synthetic material. if I don’t paint them, the holes from the old hardware will always be visible, and I would really like to break up this overwhelming wall of orange maple. Can anyone offer me some advice or insight into whether I should pull the trigger? I could really use some outside perspective on this before I make an unreversible decision. Thanks in advance for any input!

Comments (10)