SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
kristin_dahl70

Help with Color!!!! Open Concept Main Living Area

Kristin Dahl
2 months ago

You guys - I'm terrible at this and need your help! My husband and I bought a condo in Boston. The interior (badly) needs to be repainted, and we're currently planning out the project. The current color scheme is a white/blueish/gray scheme, and IMO it looks awful (see pictures). Especially with our dark brown leather sofas. The walls are painted a matte gray color.

The main living area is an open concept floor plan, and it is quite dark/cold/dingy feeling during the mornings/early afternoon because 1) the windows all face southwest and 2) we have tall buildings next to us so natural light is limited. The photos I posted were taken at about 9:00 AM (excuse the mess).

I'm looking for a modern but cleaner/cozier feel (think BM Elmira White, BM White Sands). But, I'm also worried that the floors may make the paint appear too warm.

I'm also not sure what to do with the wainscoating - leave it white? Paint it the same color as the rest of the wall? Repaint it all a richer darker color to contrast the light walls up on the top?

The trim, columns, doors, and fireplace I'd like to repaint all white.

I'm not a colorist by any means though and definitely need some opinions guidance! Thank you!

Comments (13)