SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mar_77

SW Accessible Beige??

mar 77
last year
last modified: last year

Looking for a light neutral beige for interior walls in the kitchen and adjoining rooms. Maybe a sage green in the kitchen and some version of burgandy in the powder room.

We have high ceilings with lots of light in the living and dining rooms.

My contractor suggested SW Accessible Beige. But I read that it can look gray?

What other light beige paint do you'll suggest?

Thanks for your help.

Picture of the floor. Tile has a travertine look.

Comments (15)

• areyano_cs
    last year

I have accessible beige in my kitchen and it’s not gray at all. The living and dining area is adjacent (modified open floor plan) and the paint color is livable green also SW. These colors go well together in my home. Cool colors like a gray toned beige would really clash in my home, and accessible beige is very compatible with my warm toned floors. Good luck!

mar 77 thanked areyano_cs
  • mar 77
    Original Author
    last year

Warm/off-white is a good suggestion. Do you have any paint names?

I wanted some contrast with the baseboards/trim which will probably be in Dove White.

Kitchen granite is a mix of taupe/white/cream/brown/black. Floor tile is the same in the kitchen. Still have wood cabinets- that's another project. I don't like painted white cabinets as the oak grain probably cannot be covered, so no update yet.

@areyano_cs I read that accessible beige could look taupe (gray/brown) and I have beige everywhere. Good to know it's not gray.

• latifolia
    last year

Look at SW Shoji White.

mar 77 thanked latifolia
  • mar 77
    Original Author
    last year

@MaryAnne Do you have any suggestions for a true light beige color?

• Jennifer Hogan
    last year

You have to think about neutrals like the color wheel.

You have pink beige, orange beige, yellow/gold beige, green beige, greige (that color between green beige and green gray that sometimes looks gray sometimes beige), green gray, blue gray, violet gray and taupe ( the color opposite of greige, somewhere between violet gray and pink beige.

Accessible beige is very popular because it works well with a lot of colors, but that doesn't mean it is the best beige, it just means that it is safe.

I don't like to start my color journey with the neutrals, but you kind of already started the journey when you selected your flooring, so it complicates things a bit.

If starting from scratch, I like to start with the colors (not neutrals) that make your heart sing. You already mentioned sage green and burgundy. Honestly, with a true burgundy I like a bluer green than sage and would pick something a bit more orange with sage.

Blue green with burgundy

vs blue green with the more orange tone in Sun Dried Tomatoes

Sage green with Sun Dried Tomatoes

Sage with a true burgundy

With a sage green and a deep red like Sun Dried Tomato I like both Accessible Beige and for a bit cleaner look I like them with a color similar to Creamy.

With a blue green and more purple burgundy the Accessible Beige feels a bit muddy and Creamy feels too yellow. I would lean more toward the grayer taupe colors.

The sage and sundried tomato doesn't feel right with the more taupe wall color.

Your challenge is to find the neutral that works with the colors you love and with your flooring.

The paint stores give the little cards away for free.

Pick up 5-6 dozen sample cards and take them home. Pick up neutrals and the colors you love that you will want to buy when you look for bedding and art and area rugs and whites.

Take a sample of your flooring outside and look at the swatches in natural daylight. Some are going to look pink and some are going to look yellow and some gray and some green . . .

Only look at one or two colors at a time with your flooring so you are comparing them to the flooring and not to each other.

Once you have narrowed your choices down to a few that you like mix in some of the colors you love and narrow your choices to those that like with your flooring and work well with the colors you love. When you are down to 5 or 6 choices order larger swatches from Samplize.com or get sample jugs and paint your own samples.

Do the same thing with the larger samples. Look at one at a time. It is best if you have someone helping you who can change the swatches and ask which you like better "A or B" without telling you the color names. We sometimes like or dislike the name and our mind tricks us into wanting to like the color.

Here is a picture I took while sampling colors with my flooring, furniture, bathroom tile, bedding, bath towel . . .

mar 77 thanked Jennifer Hogan
  • mar 77
    Original Author
    last year

@MaryAnne Thanks. Natural Linen or Natural Tan could be a potential color.

@Jennifer Hogan Thanks for the detail reply. I will check how Accessible Beige and Clary Sage (kitchen) look in my living areas. Maybe Sun Dried Tomatoes in the powder room if it can be lightened a bit?

What are the blue-green colors in your picture? Would either of the blue greens go with Assesible Beige? Was thinking Assessible Beige in the master bedroom and a blue-green in the master bath.

• chloebud
    last year

You might check SW Canvas Tan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfOkZM4PoPs

mar 77 thanked chloebud
  • mar 77
    Original Author
    last year

@chloebud Thanks. Canvas Tan could be a choice too. Would it go with Clary Sage? Or some other Sage?

• Jennifer Hogan
    last year

There are two similar blue/green groupings that I have used in my home.

On the picture where I was testing colors I am showing BM Quiet Moments, Beach Glass and Mt Saint Anne or Stony Brook.

Sherwin Williams has a slightly greener blue green grouping that includes Sea Salt, Comfort Gray, Acacia Haze . . .

I painted my master bath with Quiet Moments and was in love with it. (North Facing window)

Then I painted a bedroom in Beach Glass (south facing window) and it turned powder blue in the mornings. I repainted with Silvermist and lost the Powder blue, tested Gray Wisp, which was just a bit greener than I wanted.

• Jennifer Hogan
    last year

Accessible Beige works well with both bluer blue greens and greener blue greens and with greens or more sage greens.

Taupe works well with both bluer blue greens and greener blue greens but not as well with the greens and more sage greens. It needs more blue than Accessible Beige needs.

• chloebud
    last year

“Would it go with Clary Sage?”

I’m not sure about Clary Sage. This example doesn’t look good to me. It’s better with an off white like Alabaster.

Did you watch the video I posted? Kylie mentioned Sea Salt working well with Canvas Tan.

mar 77 thanked chloebud
  • cwcf185
    last year

Two SW warm beige you might consider -- Simple White and Reticence.

I had Reticence in my last home and loved it, so it was my choice for most of my new home; Simple White in the rest of it. Reticence definitely has red undertones, and apparently 200+ miles further south makes enough difference in how much more the red shows up in certain lighting compared to my previous home.

mar 77 thanked cwcf185
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year
    last modified: last year

you're only showing us the tile? what about the rest of the room? the furniture?

you pick a paint color to go w/everything, not just your tile floors.

lets see the room.

have you tried any samples yet?

Stay away from yellow undertones. that tile has red/pink undertones. you want the pink or taupe colors.

get a sample of City loft and see how that looks. I also like any of the top left corner choices. Simply White for the trim might work too

mar 77 thanked Beth H. :
  • PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    last year

Benjamin Moore Sail Cloth:

Or Benjamin Moore Balboa Mist:

mar 77 thanked Sabrina Alfin Interiors