SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
oursteelers

Palatine………………….

oursteelers 8B PNW
4 months ago

They are opening shopping carts silently in December???!

Comments (166)

• Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)
    3 months ago

@librarian_gardner_8b_pnw Yes, that's who I'm talking about. It is a bit stubborn with its shape in my garden so far (own root band planted spring 2021), and the flowering is spotty for me too, but some of the blooms it produced this year were stunning. I cut a few buds to open in the vase and that bouquet stopped me in my tracks for days. So for that reason I'm willing to be patient with it now, it can take a few years to figure itself out, that's fine. As long as I get to swoon over the flowers again...

• rosecanadian
    3 months ago

Oh, Magpie - those are SWOON-WORTHY!!!! I can't believe how stunning they are!! Well done, you've got a gorgeous variety!

• Related Discussions

Palatine roses in Ontario...

Q

Comments (28)
    I emailed them, just got an answer today. The lady was really nice. I need to tell them which roses I am going to buy first, then they will request an inspector to go to the nursery to check on the roses, there is a inspection fee for $25.00, I will get a certificate for the roses, then I should be ok to bring the roses into the US. I think I have to wait at the us customs office to be checked. It requires extra fee and time, plus the gas for the trip. My cost accounting is telling me, the cost per unit is too high. It's better just order the roses from them online. :-)
    ...See More

Palatine rose list

Q

Comments (166)
    Below is the most recent update from Palatine Facebook page, looks like they might have some Austins roses as well: "For you rose enthusiast you can also know that our website is up to date. All the roses that are available are now listed. We did not produce any Austin roses. However! We are considering adding the following: Boscobel Crown Princess Margareta James Galway Lichfield Angel Munstead Wood These roses are produced by J.C. Bakker & Sons in St. Catharines, ON. They produce their roses on multiflora and are strictly a wholesaler. Once we have received their Austin plants and graded them we will add them to our regular website. We anticipate that they will be added in the new year."
    ...See More

Ok - who crashed the Palatine website?

Q

Comments (4)
    same here! I actually forgot about the big day - Dec 6th - and checked the site the next day.
    ...See More

Palatine added new varieties today?

Q

Comments (26)
    embothrium - I agree. I routinely ignore any size estimates on HMF, or in rose catalogs or books, or whatever. They all seem to be based on the size roses grow in England or the East Coast of the US. In my garden, most roses get 2-3 times larger, or more, than they are said to. Some climbers like Sombreuil and Mme Alfred Carriere and banksia lutea never stop growing - they all grew 3 stories + high in my garden, and would have gotten higher if there had been anything to climb on. Jackie
    ...See More
  • Feiy Lo (PNWZ8b)
    3 months ago

Kitty, Eifelzauber is gorgeous and super healthy. The only problem is it is so tall that I can't even see the blooms. I got it from Palatine last spring and it grew to 7'. I cut it in half last fall but it is 9' now. I'm considering setting a support for it. Very upright/narrow and vigorous so be ready to enjoy this beautiful giant. LOL.

• librarian_gardner_8b_pnw
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

I agree with you, Magpie, Polka blooms are gorgeous and they make a great cut flower. I'm hoping that it will just get better and better. Your blooms are fantastic.

Feiy. Lo, your Eifelzauber is beautiful!

• bellarosa
    3 months ago

Here's one to add to your cart - Pomponella. She's a short climber here (6-7 feet) in zone 5 NW Illinois. Hardy and very healthy. Kordes classic!

• rosecanadian
    3 months ago

Feiy - talk about vigorous!! Eek! :)

• KittyNYz6
    3 months ago

@bellarosa

Love your Pomponella! My P is now 2 yrs and 5-6 feet wide and 5 1/2 ft tall….. gorgeous leaves, no BS! lots of blooms! It’s a blooming machine!

Fall bloomin’ (Next year -3rd yr it outta be huge w/ blooms all over, I hope!)

It just grew recently & filled out in height all over… Wow it’s wide!

Magpie, Polka is gorgeous! Beautiful ruffles….

@Feiy Lo (PNWZ8b)

Wow! Now that’s a big Eifelzauber…. I’ll have to rethink it! Yours is beautiful!

Carol, Thank you! Your Rosemantic Pink is I am sure beautiful, under your normal watering, Lol! I am sure she will be great next year! Eifelzauber & Rosenfazination are wonderful, to…. Hmmmmmmm…..

• Feiy Lo (PNWZ8b)
    3 months ago

Kitty,

Not only Eifelzauber grows tall, but my Lion's Fairy Tale has grown to 6'. I suspect multiflora rootstocks love my sandy soil very much. Both of them are excellent!

• bellarosa
    3 months ago

Kitty, isn't Pomponella amazing! :-)

• KittyNYz6
    3 months ago

@Feiy Lo (PNWZ8b) Wow! Your Lion’s Fairy is tall!!I guess my Lion’s Fairy is 4 Ft. I realize w/ good soil & fertiluzer any of my hundred roses can grow 5-6 ft. Nany are now 5ft and ai need to orune back for winter next week.

Some I have better soil or more good soil than others or more fertilizer-they are taller. However, Pomponella is supposed to climb some and she grows huge easily!

@bellarosa Yes, Amazing Pomponella! Thank you.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    2 months ago

Holy moly, they just added Qween of the Night.

• rosecanadian
    2 months ago

Kristine - is Palatina Traviata new too? Hmf doesn't have any info on Queen of the Night. I can't find anything but Palatine's info. It's on Laxa rootstock which is supposed to be quite winter hardy.

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Helen Naude is new too

2 months ago

Carol, you would think that I have it all memorized as often as I check it out.

It looked different today and then I noticed the Queen. What a beautiful rose. I will check on Palatina Traviata

2 months ago

Yep, Palatina Traviata is new, darn it. Another fabulous red

I think that Louise Odier is aslo new and maybe New Dawn.

Those trickers adding new roses when I finally decided what to order.

• rosecanadian
    2 months ago

Oursteelers - yeah, I saw Helen Naude about a week ago, I think. :)

Kristine - I agree...I think that the Queen looks so beautiful! Yes, they keep adding roses. I agree about Louise Odier...I thought that was new too. But then I think...is it? LOL Let us know what you find about Palatina Traviata. :)

• BenT (9B Sunset 14)
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

Kristine,

Good catch on those new varieties!

Carol,

I agree Louise Odier, perhaps Back in Black too. I have the same problem, I doubt myself on whether something is a new addition, they’ve really done an amazing job of adding to their collection.

• KittyNYz6
    2 months ago

CLARIFICATION: 2023 Palatine has 33 new roses. Just click on

”New,” box on their website for new list. Below a few favorites of mine, New- Palatine roses…

Wellenspiel, by Kordes, is my fav! Blooms 3-5 diameter & almost 5ft tall.

• KittyNYz6
    2 months ago

Wellenspiel rose

• BenT (9B Sunset 14)
    2 months ago

Thanks Kitty, that new box makes things easy! The feature must be new itself, cant believe I’ve missed it all along! Have you made your list?

This is mine:

Augusta Louise

Ascot

The Pride

Roberto Alagna

Pom pom Veranda

That Queen of the Night looks so tempting to me.

I have decided that my Palatine order will be my last for a very long time, my garden is turning into a homeless rose encampment!

• KittyNYz6
    2 months ago

The other NEW Palatine roses:

Louise Odier, Helen Naude, & New Dawn will be available, wonderful roses at Palatine Roses, but not new to Palatine Roses. I love Louis Odier in my gardens!

• KittyNYz6
    2 months ago

@BenT (9B Sunset 14) Homeless rose encampment! LOL! Pots are great alternatives! Lol! but, Yes! ….. I am concerned about that, too! I may add Wellenspiel. I don’t really need any more grafted roses, but love Palatine’s. . I have 13 roses already coming/or to start in spring 2023 from other nurseries and 13+ roses to still order on another list for nurseries (most may be replacing other roses.) And I have to dig bigger beds!!!!! Still deciding… I have my eye on Japanese Garden flowers, too……

Roses I ordered from other nurseries so far:

(Many from DA are own-root bare-roots:

1. Comte de Chambord-DA

2. Eutacia Vye-DA

3. Emily Bronte-DA

4. Roald Dahl-DA

5. Queen of Sweden-DA

6. Silas Marner-DA, grafted

7. James Galway-Cattail Creek Gardens (grafted)

8. Yves Piaget-Grace Rose Farm (maybe grafted)

9. Francis Meillamd -Grace Rose Farm (maybe grafted)

10. Evelyn from Straw, own-root

11. Variegatta di Bologna

12 Clotilde Soupert

13. Yolande de Aragon

• KittyNYz6
    2 months ago

@BenT (9B Sunset 14)

I just love Ascot & Augusta Luise! Esp. those of Diane’s!!! Ascot is a dream & AL is a sensational peachy kaleidoscope of colors! Pompon Veranda is delicate & dreamy, too!

And Queen of the Night! Who can resist! i just love Mozart! Queen of the Night was written for a soprano who sang 2 octaves in the Magic Flute Opera! A fav of mine! Simply divine! And the rose, ”Queen of the Night,” is deep & rich in comparison!

2 months ago

Kitty, thank you for sharing the information on finding the new additions. There are so many beautiful new roses.

Also I noticed Raspberry Vigarosa was added.

With all of the new additions it makes me wish that I was starting a whole new yard instead of adding to my own "homeless encampment " thanks Ben

I would really like Qween of the Night but have zero room for her but I can find space for Palatina Traviata

I was trying to just get 3 but not sure that I can limit myself. So far here's my list, not 3

Amore De Moline

Bentheimer Gold

Baroness

Frilly Lilly ( the only one that I have room for)

Pretty Dancer ( this one is new )

Roberto Alagna

Toscana Vigarosa

Palatina Traviata

Some will have to go

• KittyNYz6
    2 months ago

Kristine, Thank you! Now that’s a list-9 for you! Oh, soooooo difficult to choose! Beautiful new roses!!!!! Help!

• rosecanadian
    2 months ago

Kitty - I agree that Wellenspiel is super attractive...but I have to have fragrance in my roses...and Rosemantic Cream seems to have it all! :) :) I didn't know that about Queen of the Night. They sure have a lot of operatic roses...Queen of the Night, Dmitri H., Roberta Alagna...

Ben - I showed your comment about your homeless rose encampment to my husband...he got a good laugh out of it. He gets it. :) :)

I was waiting for my other rose distributor to have their list up...but they just won't accommodate me...so I'm going to have to make 2 lists from Palatine...one for if the one from Wildwood comes up before Palatines and one if it doesn't (then I'll get as many from Palatine as I can in case Wildwood doesn't have any I love). I'm going to be busy doing that today. :)

• Diane Brakefield
    2 months ago

Kitty, there is nothing like hearing a good coloratura sing Queen of the Night in person. A great favorite of mine, but a good recording will do in a pinch. If my granddaughter, Jemma, had continued to pursue her vocal studies, I think she could have performed it. I have to say that the photos of Q of N were disappointing as were those of Meteor. That's just me. Picky, picky. I'm still waiting for a Nessun Dorma rose. Thanks for your comment on AL and Ascot. Now, Nana says no more roses for a while (you said, "Help!").

Carol, your roses aren't homeless. They call the garage their winter home. My poor roses are stuck outside in this lousy November weather. I probably won't get any new roses for this coming year, but two that I've wanted for quite a while are Double Easy Orange, and Austin's, Bring Me Sunshine. Not on Palatine's site, of course. Diane

• rosecanadian
    2 months ago

Diane - no, my roses aren't homeless...I was reacting to Ben's comment. :) :) I ho pe you find your Unicorn roses.

I think I've narrowed my list to

- Anastasia

- Aubade

- Blue Girl

- First Crush

- Gruaud Larose

- La Fontaine aux Perles

- Lasting Love

- Rosemantic Cream

- The Pride

- Poetry

I'm dithering on Queen of the Night and Rosemantic Fuchsia. Kristine - talk me into getting Rosemantic Fuchsia. LOL

Well, now I'm looking at the colors...and I've got an awful lot of creams and light colors...while I love the bright "in your face" colors. Darn. More thinking.

• KittyNYz6
    2 months ago

Carol, Sounds fun! A day planning rose purchases!!! Beautiful lists of fragrant petaled darlings!!! Hmmmmmm….. shall I indulge in the same, Diane? Lol! Ok….. maybe not for me, today! Although, I have my lists……& we will see…..BTw….. your roses have plenty of home space…… just add another pot, & another….& another….. I wonder what it would be like hauling a hundred to the garage? Hmmmmmmm….. wanna try? Carol-I vote for Rosemantic Fushia-decadent-rich-beautiful!

Diane, Yes, Q of the Night Aria, I think actually my son could have sung it! He is a tenor & can sing bass, too-he has a few octaves, and good at falsetto! He used to show me guys who sang it-Lol! I would have loved to sing it, too-its in my range. Yes, name a rose Nessun Dorma-the grandest! No more roses for me……. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!! Lol! Double Easy Orange is available at J&P , but Bring Me Sunshine is in the UK right niw, oops! Both roses are beautiful!

I look at my property….. and there’s plenty room for more if I dig expanding beds or add pots! I just think I will collapse if I add too many! Lol!

• rosecanadian
    2 months ago

Kitty - do you think I should get First Crush? I know you have this rose. I'm really looking for bloomability and fragrance.

2 months ago

Carol, dither no longer. You need Rosematic fuschia. The whole series is wonderful. Mine is continuously pumping out beautiful fragrant blooms .

Im thinking that for my pink it should be the Rosematic pink because of its size and blooms.

The Cream is yummy as well but I just planted Easy Spirit.

Diane, I think that Meteor looks good so an even better picture would push me over the brink towards grabbing .

Amour de Moline or Meteor ?

• KittyNYz6
    2 months ago

Carol, First Crush (cream-light pink) has yummy perfume & really BIG frilly petals! I LOVE her! However, Rosemantic Fushia, fragrant, rich blooms, many petals-you’d really really love her! I agree adding more colorful roses is a good idea! Anastasia & Rosemantic Cream are almost same color. Have you considered Buxum Beauty-award winning for perfume-fushia color-perfect rose form. Crazy Love has intense peachy-pink!

How about,”Easy Fashion,” sm climber, super fragrant, NIRP rose! Wowsa!!!!!!

Acapella & Beverly are highly perfumed w/ beautiful blooms, too! Just some candy for thought! Yummy!!!!

• Diane Brakefield
    2 months ago

Kitty, Palatine's Meteor photo looks good, but the HMF photos didn't do it for me. I find this is often true, and never trust the seller's photos. Back to Nessun Dorma....my son in law has a wonderful tenor, so I bought the music to Nessun Dorma many years ago so he could learn it, and he never has. I have good recordings, though, and I think good old Pavarotti is the very best ND. But I want a Nessun Dorma rose most of all. Diane

• Diane Brakefield
    2 months ago

Kitty, I was looking at the wrong Meteor on HMF. They didn't have any photos of the Meteor sold by Palatine, so I googled Kordes Meteor and saw some fantastic photos, so I take back what I said above. Still not thrilled with Q of N. Diane

• rosecanadian
    2 months ago

Kristine - Thank you!! I will no longer dither...RF is now on my list. :) As to Amour de Molene...the color didn't appeal to me.

Kitty - I think I'll get First Crush...thank you! Yup, Rosemantic Fuchsia is on my list. :) :) I have Buxom Beauty...new last year...didn't do all that much except at the end of the season when it had a lot of long lasting blooms. I think it'll do really well next year. Crazy Love doesn't have fragrance, unfortunately. I'm not into getting a climber...otherwise I'd get Easy Fashion..it looks so beautiful! Do you grow that one? I've had Acapella (wonderful banana candy fragrance) before...twice...it didn't like me. LOL I grew Beverly for a few years...it lived...but didn't do much. I was disappointed over that. Thanks for those ideas. :) :) I agree that Anastasia and Rosemantic Cream are almost the same color. Hmmmm.

Diane - I'm in love with Dmitri Hvorostovsky's baritone...unbelievable! I love his Russian songs. Did you find out anything new about Q of N?

• KittyNYz6
    2 months ago

Diane, I just melt when Pavarotti, Domingo & Josea Carreras sing it, (3 tenors.) Also, love Andreas Bochelli singing Nessun Dorma! Awwwwwww! , Not really sure what Q of N will look like when opens bud? Pretty bud colors.

Carol, Hmmmmm. Easy Fashion gets about 9ft, but for you it could be maybe 5 ft…Although, I just checked…. has simiar colors to Parade Day.

I think if you could get some DA they’d bloom more often for you! They have constant repeat blooms! Hmmmmmm…..

Plum Perfect is intense color, beautiful big 5” diameter bloom form, luscious scent, floribunda, always blooming, grows vigorously! Griws in sun/shade-blooms no matter what! She’s my magic rose! You may love her, Carol?

I think Easy Fashion is more fushia than Parade Day…. just enough different! I love her! I looked at a dozen internet photos….

Easy Fashion

2 months ago

Thanks Carol, Armour De Moline is out.

2 months ago

Oh boy, I just went on the Kordes site to look up Meteor . It is absolutely glorious

Back on the list it goes

• rosecanadian
    2 months ago

Kitty - yeah, it's hard to get Austins here. :) Wildwood may have them...I'd know if they ever posted their list. LOL Whaaat? Plum Perfect has a "fair" designation on hmf for fragrance. I don't think I'd chance getting it. :) Yours sure has an incredible color. :)

Kristine - the color doesn't appeal to me...but it could to you. :) :) :) Oooooh!!! Yeah, now that's divine!! :) :)

• Diane Brakefield
    2 months ago

Kristine, if you google Kordes rose Meteor and click on google images, you can see lots of great Meteor photos. That's what I had to do because HMF didn't have any images. I think it's a fantastic looking rose, and it could join my list of two I want (but won't get) for next year.

Carol, can't you order Austins directly from David Austin? I guess you would be limited to the under patent roses mainly. I think they still sell some out of patent Austins. Eglantyne, for instance. Diane

• rosecanadian
    2 months ago

Diane - I guess I could. I would think the shipping cost would be pretty high.

2 months ago

Does Anyone grow Roberto Alagna? Palatine lists it's height as 2 to 3 ft. But help me find lists it as 4ft. Or more and that would make a huge difference as to where I plant it .

• rosecanadian
    2 months ago

I tried it...but it died on me when I had that huge pH problem. So I'm no help. Oh, wait....okay, I just checked NIRP...and, according to them, it grows to around 3 feet. That's the best I can do. LOL

2 months ago

That is one of their roses so they should know .

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida)
    2 months ago

What's the difference between Raspberry Cream Twirl and Easy Fashion? Is Easy Fashion more fragrant? Wavier petals perhaps? I'm not sure..

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I would also like to know that, sultry. I have RCT aready and am hoping to get EasyFashion. I’m hoping EF is more fragrant since RCT’s is light

• KittyNYz6
    2 months ago

Kristine,

I usually listen to all the people that talk about a height if a rose because it grows to different heights in different climates. An average height may be 3ft. in warm clinates it may reach 4 ft. I find nany of my roses can grow 1-2 ft talker than usual heights as I have good fertilile soil. Do your roses usually exceed average heights? I think RA could be 2-3-4 ft depending on who is growing it?

2 months ago

Kitty, yep, multiflora gets pretty tall here. So if I order a rose that says 3 to 4 it will be 4 or more.

4 to 5 will be 6.

I was thinking of Roberto right up front and now I'm thinking he may need to be middle of the bed instead.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida)
    2 months ago

oursteelers, thats what I was hoping too. My RCT is not all that fragrant either. I hope you post about your Easy Fashion's fragrance. I will probably be ordering from Palentine this year but not sure what all yet lol. I hope I catch it when the ordering opens. I always seem to miss it!

• SuSu CT 7a
    last month

Palatine is open!