SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
emelodyk

hallway runners

emelodyk
14 days ago

Where would my runner rug end if there are two different doorways that end 2 ft apart ( length 17 ft to end of kitchen doorway and 19 ft to end of staircase). On left is kitchen and on right is staircase from downstairs(living room is behind)me )

Comments (20)

• shirlpp
    14 days ago

You probably need 2 runners.

• emelodyk
    Original Author
    14 days ago

I do but I’m trying to figure out at what point to stop/end the runner - at the edge of kitchen entry way or edge of stairway as they end 2 ft apart

• KW
    14 days ago

Pretty flooring. Is there a strong reason to have a runner with so many entries to hallway along its length? Trip hazard coming out of each doorway, It seems like a runner would ”chop” up that space. How about just hang the art & put something eyecatching at the end of hall?

• emelodyk
    Original Author
    14 days ago

Older small dog that has previous leg injury and can’t be so slippery

• KW
    14 days ago
    last modified: 14 days ago

@emelodyk Well then - that’s a very strong reason indeed! Don’t we all arrange our homes for the convenience and care of our beloved friends in fur coats? Seriously! Check my icon. So, just how long is the run of hall that you want to cover with a runner & how wide? I think a single rug would be the best for appearance as well as safety and there are sources for just about any length & width

• eld6161
    14 days ago

I think one runner. I would get something nuetral made from a carpet store if you cant find the length you need.

• emelodyk
    Original Author
    13 days ago

KW whole hallway to the end of stairway opening is 19 ft but not sure if it should come all the way over to staircase end right side of pic at front or stop at kitchen entryway on front left side of pic
    And yes our animals are everything 110% 😃

• KW
    13 days ago

Depends on what you want step off when coming upstairs to be. What’s the floor view when standing at end of wall coming towards the kitchen? End of wall being where the pup food bowls are

• emelodyk
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Pup food bowls are the kitchen -ahead of that which is in your left when you come up the stairs is living room area

• KW
    13 days ago

Okay so how long is hall to end of wall where pup food bowls are? What I was trying to envision was what the span from that point to the far end of stair entry was. It seems like ending at kitchen entry wall is a logical & clean stopping point for runner. Assuming that meets pup’s needs and approval!

• emelodyk
    Original Author
    13 days ago

I was debating between that which I think is around 16 ft 5 and could be one long runner but think they want coverage for dog to top of stairs so think I will have to do 2 -9 ft ones for the 19 ft full space with a gap between the two and a little at far end . I just wasn’t sure if it was “done” to have the runner be there right when you come up top of stairs

• KW
    13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

Don’t worry about what’s done. What your household needs is a continous runner for the long stretch of hallway. What will create the cleanest & most attractive look is one single runner..I searched & 18’ & 19’ runners are out there. Wayfair, Overstocks, Rugs.com etc Finding appropriate width might be the bigger challenge. If you can’t find the width you need - leaving some open space on each side of runner, consider going to a carpet store for a custom cut. The big box stores & carpet stores have carpets on a roll for stairs. Those would be a great option if there’s a pattern you like. .You can also get a rug pad at carpet store. So, that’s my suggestion - search for an 18’ runner for your 19’ hallway. I’d get a low nap or low pile rug too. Smoother look & less trip hazard for the dooways & top of stairs.

• emelodyk
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Thanks so much for your time and advice .. definitely thin pile I agree but I’m thinking would only do one long runner if it were to come to kitchen entry otherwise don’t you think 2 9ft with a gap between would look nicer ? Meantime I have seen some 2 ‘ x 18’ and 2’ by 20’ on wayfair if I went that route so should be able to find something there . I think ideally I’d like 2 -2x9 though 🤔

• KW
    13 days ago

My preference is still one longer runner. But, it’s your home! You could always buy one long & 2 shorter with the plan of returning the one or the two that you decide you don’t like after seeing p, in real life, how each idea looks. Just be clear on return policies if you do that.

• emelodyk
    Original Author
    13 days ago

You know I may just go with the longer option if I can find the right one .. ;) like you say cleaner . With all those entryways now the hall may look better .
    I’m actually decorating someone else’s home so not living there makes it harder to get a feel sometimes . I appreciate your help !

• shirlpp
    13 days ago

Are you looking for a runner with a pattern or just one color? There is a store on Amazon that will cut a runner in any size - but - it's just one color.

• emelodyk
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Would definitely like a pattern but thanks Shirlpp:)

• Ally De
    13 days ago

The other thing to consider with 2 is that unless you fuss with them approximately a million times a day, they will shift and not always line up well. If you're an OCD freak like me, you'll spend your days trying to keep them in perfect alignment.

Hopefully you don't have my issues and this won't bother you - but just thought I'd throw it out there in case. :)

• emelodyk
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Good point thank you

• KW
    13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

@Ally De Really, really good point! And one I should’ve mentioned as yet another reason I prefer one longer runner! Even though I have a good ”real” rug pad under my heavy wool 10’ runner across top of a wide entry I’m constantly pulling one end or the other to line it back up with plank seams. 🙄

Sponsored
KR Estates General Contractor Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Top-Rated Home Improvement & Exteriors Contractor in Northern Virginia