SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardenwolverine

Pot for Snake Plant?

I've had a snake plant for about 7 years now, given to me as one leaf still in its very wet tiny nursery pot by a neighbor who claimed she was going into the hospital and couldn't take care of it and other plants that were also still in their nursery pots. I only took the snake as I'd never had one before and didn't really like the others. I potted it in a 10" x 4" (outer measurements) terra cotta pot with Sungro Black Gold cactus mix, refreshing the soil about a year or two ago (I need to start keeping notebooks!). I thought it would spread out and fill the pot, but its only grown about 5 tall skinny leaves in that time. After moving it back to my living room and buying a meter a few months ago for my new fiddle leaf that has helped all my plants (yes, I know people here hate them but its really helped me), things are improving but I think I made a mistake in choice of pot.

So my question is, what dimensions are more suitable? Do they like deep pots, or regular dimension pots? Do they like smaller width? Square versus round? Particular material? I'm thinking of putting it in a round 8" wide by 8" high plastic pot with drainage but an attached saucer for a while until I find something in ceramic or terracotta that I can afford. Or should I leave it in its current pot, which yes, it has drainage, until I find a more suitable one since it's doing fine for now?

On a related note - does anyone curate their collection of pots? I'm thinking of keeping a few utilitarian pots of various sizes, but otherwise they will have to have something I like about them to be kept: i.e. my yellow plastic Phillips 66 pot made way back in the time my grandfather worked for them that I randomly found behind my apartment building in the 00's; or they're my favorite color, etc. Anyone else?

--GW

Comments (13)