SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissaaipapa

(OT) Some plants LIKE drought?!

Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
last year
last modified: last year

I've been touring around in the old part of the big garden the last couple of days, looking at areas I haven't seen for months, as I was unwilling to go out in the blazing sun and then hike back uphill to the house. We've had low precipitation for over a year, mildly redeemed by rains in August and September, which, though not enough to recharge the aquifers, do appear to have been enough to keep the garden watered.

The Bermuda grass and bindweed are rejoicing. No comment on that. But some desirable plants appear to have done quite well--better than before--this last year. I mentioned Buddleia alternifolia in Jackie's thread on rain. This plant sat at a foot or so tall for a decade, then this summer took off, tripling or quadrupling its dimensions. Another sitter that grew well is Jasminum primulinum, now looking at though it's at last on its way to becoming the fountain of green I imagined it when I bought it a decade or so ago. And the perovskia that has struggled along for years looks as though it's finally taking hold.

Many plants, perhaps the majority, have come through the drought pretty well. I don't worry about shrubs like winter honeysuckle, Viburnum x burkwoodii, forsythia, which is an amazingly tough shrub in our conditions, photinia, privet. The plants adapted to dry Mediterranean climates are likewise fine: phlomis, vitex, lentisk, Mexican sage, caryopteris, evergreen oaks, Italian cypress, olives. Our local natives that grow in dry areas, idem, like downy oak (Quercus pubescens), laburnum, and flowering ash. I say nothing about the roses. I think quite a few of them haven't liked sitting out in the blazing sun, which unfortunately is the situation of many of them. I need more trees (we're working on it).

A couple of pretty things I saw this evening: a handful of pure, fresh blooms on 'Awakening', that wonderful trooper of a rose; and the combination, now in full bloom, of tall pink asters, golden yellow Dittrichia viscosa (false yellowhead), and a young hybrid caryopteris with blue flowers. I need to find a shrub to anchor the corner of that bed.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting