SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cearbhaill

Cercis form and differences in growth on native trees

OK- so I understand that Cercis 'The Rising Sun' was first discovered as a sport on a species tree discovered in 2006 in Belvidere, Tennessee.

Pictured below are two Cercis that I personally dug up as tiny volunteers in eastern Kentucky back in fall 2007.

As they grew the differences in their form started becoming very apparent. If you can manage to avoid seeing all the unrelated trees you'll notice that tree left (circled red) is more Rising Sun looking (flatter, layered, more compact canopy, larger leaves even) while tree right (circled blue) is a leggy, seed pod covered abomination. If I didn't know better it almost looks extreme enough to be sexual dimorphism. The left has seed pods as well, just not three million of 'em.

Again- I dug up both of these trees myself as volunteers on my own property.

So my questions are- is this extreme difference in form something within normal range, is this an extreme difference, do you think any cross pollination happened from another variety of Cercis? This area isn't know for planting things not available at Lowe's.

I'm just curious.

I'd been noticing this for a couple of years and kept meaning to talk about it to find out if this degree of difference is totally normal or I just found anomaly trees one way or another.

That scraggily one was so ugly, we cut it down yesterday.

Not sorry, lol.

So- isn't this curious?

Just me?

Comments (5)