SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
likestonehomes

Refacing kitchen cabinets

likestonehomes
last year
last modified: last year

I dont like my dark stained Cherry cabinets. I like the look of natural cherry, so I am thinking of having them sanded down and refinished to natural cherry. I would leave the island and dishwasher cabinets as is.

Would it look ok to have natural cherry mixed with dark island and lower cabinets? I thought of painting them white, but i love the look of wood.

Comments (170)

• shirlpp
    last year

This might be the stool @lanimilo

likestonehomes thanked shirlpp
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

Yeah...... think that IS the stool, or close enough!. Anyway.............dear lord in the heavens, get a rug! Start with A RUG.

The rug is your MAP on the road trip. Yes , It's the one from up above in the thread.

https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/William-Ivory-Rustic-Vintage-Area-Rug-51-x-74/17095524/product.html?opre=1

THIS IS YOU?? Really?? From red Persian to ....who?

likestonehomes thanked JAN MOYER
  • Related Discussions

anyone reface their kitchen cabinets?

Q

Comments (11)
    Hey, flyleft, I used some doors with the big holes in them on those cheap oak face frame cabinets in my kitchen. (I can't remember now why I bought doors with those holes in them.) I used the regular overlay hinges where just the little hinge edge is visible. It was a little tough getting the hinges secured because those huge holes were just in the spot where hinges needed to be. So some of my hinges had less than the optimal amount of screws holding them on. I think to do it properly, you'd have to fill in those holes. I'm sure the woodworking forum can give you some good advice for cutting out blanks and glueing them into the holes. Are you choosing IKEA for the style or the price? Seems like it would be easier to get a custom ordered door and stain or paint it yourself.
    ...See More

Has Anyone Used Kitchen Solvers for Refacing Cabinets?

Q

Comments (3)
    I can't speak to the issue of refacing vs replacing, but I did want to say that I am at the last 5% of a total kitchen renovation done through Kitchen Solvers. They've been absolutely wonderful to work with. They are very knowledgeable , pay good attention to detail, and have been able to do as much or as little as I want. They have their own flooring, drywall, granite, etc people, but will let me use others if I have a preference (we have a painter we really like, for example). I could have even just bought their design and used my own cabinetmaker (I didn't). They've done designs or total renovations for 2 of my friends too, both of whom were very happy with them.
    ...See More

can laminated/refaced kitchen cabinets be "undone"?

Q

Comments (1)
    Rip it out and start over.
    ...See More

Removing the laminate from professionally refaced kitchen cabinets

Q

Comments (6)
    If you use thinner, you need something to protect the floor if it's anything other than a ceramic tile, and even then it's a good idea to put down something. Also if you're going to work with thinner, make sure you use the right kind of gloves. If the thinner gets trapped against skin, it may cause a nasty burn.
    ...See More
  • rebunky
    last year

I tried making the one print fabric into a couple pillows. That is supposed to be fringe and tassles lol!

I must say, that particular print is not working for me with the rug and the rest. Too modern maybe???

I think the rug style seems like “you” 😉 and seems to go good with the two rose pictures too. If you like the rug, maybe go from there. Ask the designer for a couple solid fabric choices for the chair (or two) and then maybe a few other coordinationg prints for pillows?

likestonehomes thanked rebunky
  • likestonehomes
    Original Author
    last year

@JAN MOYER thank you for chiming in and for taking the time to do your boards. The floor plan is in process of being done.

The carpet you suggested at overstock, is not available in canada. Hence the other suggestions. We are going through fabric selections and i thought the one i showed was certainly different and appealing. However, after thinking more about patterned furnitture, I prefer solid and would use patterns with pillows.

. ( Interestingly @rebunky must have read my thoughts. I just saw her comments and mockup. )

As far as colour and schemes, I like blues, greens as well as red. Cozy, comfy, light, airy, country, traditional, classic etc I like it all.

@rebunky Thank you for your mock ups, they are wonderful.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    last year

You could make it easy on yourself and get an inexpensive sea grass, sisal or jute rug. It's a great look--light, airy, modern, and leave the pattern/colors for the upholstery, curtains and pillows.

Great Room and Living Room in Naples Florida vacation home · More Info

Long Island Dutch Colonial Home · More Info

Lattingtown, New York · More Info

Long Island Dutch Colonial Home · More Info

Manheim Farmhouse · More Info

Roomscenes · More Info

New Waterfront Home North Chatham · More Info

Living Spaces & Great Rooms · More Info

Oakledge · More Info

likestonehomes thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • likestonehomes
    Original Author
    last year

@Diana Bier Interiors, LLC Awe, thank you Diana! Jute another good idea to consider. Love your room photos as well.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

Diana and I crossed ....see my ps below this comment.

Why is the rug so important? Because you don't want a "plain". You didn't like the concept of a nice chunky natural texture and fiber like a sisal. Pattern sets a feel in a room from modern to traditional. Colors set a feel in a space. Warm, cool , in between etc.

Rugs also literally TELEGRAPH a price point. They look rich and inviting, or they look as cheap as they are.

A single very good thing in a room, can elevate an entire room. A room full of cheap stuff? Well. That room is going to read cheap. Hand knotted has a look, machine made junk from China generally screams just that. Size is important as well in any rug.

Persian , tribal, Moroccan, Boho......etc and the content of fiber.

Hi to low all in Canada. Overstock DOES have a Canadian site. But I think you need to sit with that designer and budget WHERE the $$$ effort will go. Are you, am I, creating a long term love it forever room, or am I willing to start a rug search all over again in 18 to 24 months?

Are rugs endless in color, pattern and all the aforementioned. They are indeed. .........and that's the problem. You and that designer must pick a direction, a feel. A destination. Then stick to it or spin forever.

Just a sampling hi to low $$$

AND LETS NOT LEAVE OUT KILIMS....

Rather spend 500 on that, than a cheap China import, ala Overstock, that's for sure.

The point is, it can't be your "afterthought" unless it CAN be. .....except it isn't paint: ) which can be mixed to a fraction of a shade of any hue.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

PS........

Agree w/ Diana.

Except I gave you a chunky jute way up above and it met with MEH. : )

Which goes to the rug is either the beginning, or the end of the process.

I said..........

"Sometimes.......the answer is less commitment. A wonderful chunky texture. These abound in natural fibers, In broadloom in wonderful wools that can be fabricated to the inch".

That means your fabrics and art call the direction.

Sit down with whom you hired. Pick the direction. She will not spin endlessly with you. Not unless she bills you for the "spin", or she could be slinging burgers at the Burger King or its equivalent.

There is a client that terrifies designers. You are it. They either level with you, or level with you on their exit. WAH.

You can't do what you are doing here. Can't exclaim "Awe...it's lovely..." a nice sentiment. You're not paying us. You ARE paying her.

• freedomplace1
    last year

Hi @likestonehomes - To answer your question: I don’t believe there are actual Pottery Barns in Canada. But they do ship internationally; and I would think Canada would be one of the destinations. https://www.potterybarn.com/customer-service/how-to-order-int.html

So of course you have your own vendors in Canada - but just to answer your question, and to give you a few ideas, in case you and your designer may be interested. As you scroll down on the rug link (I am providing at the bottom of this post) just about any of the rugs could work with your Traditional/Eclectic style and your colors. And btw, I am very glad you are keeping the two matching red chairs. And I like the fabric - the printed pattern you were looking at. It’s interesting. It sort of reminds me of an animal print - without being an animal print, per se; and could lend some visual interest to the room, especially since you are predominantly using chairs. That is mainly why I had suggested an animal print for that single red chair. And I think the pattern you are showing could work with the rugs you have shown. It is more of a neutral type of effect with that type of pattern, imo. Your designer knows what she is doing.

Here’s the Pottery Barn link. As I said, you can scroll down the page to view the various rugs.

https://www.potterybarn.com/m/products/charli-persian-style-rug-mp/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwyt-ZBhCNARIsAKH11742cjw7pUHssjOmeeapcdEVqe3MLBEyuYJ1SYUjIUN1fwCPdMvpoxcaAqBlEALw_wcB&catalogId=84&cm_ven=PLA&cm_ite=3133236_14546951676&cm_pla=Rugs+%3E+Persian-Style+Rugs&sku=3133236&cm_cat=Google&region_id=669950

likestonehomes thanked freedomplace1
  • shirlpp
    last year

And then there is also the particularly obnoxious campaign effort to instead shove blue chairs (etc.) down the OP’s throat.

@freedomplace1 - Exactly! I agree with you. When one person mentions it - everyone else follows.

@likestonehomes - Red is my favorite color and I have 2 red accent chairs in my family room. The rest of the room compliments the red. If you like red - use it - carefully!

• likestonehomes
    Original Author
    last year

Yikes, i just accidently deleted my entire comments and That was before the last 3 posts. I will be back,hopefully later today or tomorrow. Before then, Thank you ever ever so much.

I hope this thread serves as education in design for many more posters to come!!

• PRO
    last year

I agree with Jan about the quality level. Personally I do not care for most of the rugs that are being featured right now. That's why I'd rather spend less money on a natural fiber rug and focus on the other features in the room than get a cheap patterned rug. I refuse to buy polyproylene, which is what a lot of rug manufacturers and distributors are showing. And the machine made rugs aren't what they used to be. The older Karastans are beautiful and wear like iron. I have 4 or 5 of them and can't kill them. But the new ones are, in a word, ugly.

I'd focus on quality upholstery, and custom made pillows and window treatments. Well-made vintage case goods can be gotten for a song at thrift and consignment stores. That's what makes a beautiful room. All the rooms I posted scream high quality and impeccable taste. (None of them are mine, BTW, so I'm not touting my own horn!)

But, and this is important, you are paying a designer. If one of my clients were second-guessing my suggestions and crowd-sourcing ideas online, I'd not be happy, and I'd make my feelings known.

Off my soapbox now.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

"And then there is also the particularly obnoxious campaign effort to instead shove blue chairs (etc.) down the OP’s throat."

Nobody and no one is shoving anything or any color down the tonsils of the op.

The thread began as one with suggestions to smooth; soften, relieve, a room with DARK cabinetry- made worse, ( no offense ) by the overload of deep red in the room and in that cabinet tone.

Go back and count the number of suggested schemes, palettes, the op has been provided. Free of charge from pro and non alike. Then, go have a really nice day : ) after you've read the rhyme and reason for any and all of them.

You can't solve any problem until and unless you recognize exactly WHAT that "problem" may be.

There is always the option for any op to state: "I like what I have and it is staying". Maybe the problem simply remains, in that scenario.......still not recognized for what it is. It's a free country, for outcomes, suggestions, et all.

Design is 90% solutions to problems. Fixing them, avoiding them, and definitely trying hard not to create more of them.

• likestonehomes
    Original Author
    last year

@JAN MOYER Again, thank your for your comments and tutorial/classes, examples etc. They are truly appreciated. Yes, you showed Jutte as did @Diana Bier Interiors, LLC., Though, I liked what she presented, its just not what I picture. You made good points re versatility of jutte rugs.

• likestonehomes
    Original Author
    last year

@freedomplace1 Thank you for your thoughts and comments along with your Pottery Barn links. They have a Canadian online store.

@Verbo You asked if I like red, yes I do. The issue, for me, is being able to visualize an item, either carpet, tables etc in the room itself, taking into account lighting (natural or otherwise). This room has a lot of natural light, however, dark cabs, I since learned, absorbs much of it. The current area rug, was chosen as I simply liked it. But, I agree it is too much for the space. Thank you, again for recommendations re artifical lighting on the cabs.

There were no overhead lights in the home and panel box is ’miles’ away in the lower level garage. (Thank goodness we have a creative SIL, who just happens to be an electrician as well.) Whoever, wired this house, way back when, created a rats nest nightmare. PS, No im not being pushed toward any design choice and am able to speak up.

• likestonehomes
    Original Author
    last year

@MaryAnne Thank you for your comments

@shirlpp Im moving in the direction to coordinate red with other colours. Enough red already, lol Yes, ’Use it Carefully’!

@Diana Bier Interiors, LLC Your points are well taken, especially with regard to quality and natural fiber rug. I appreciate what you are saying re crowd sourcing. However, I started the thread before having a designer.

@JAN MOYER, re your last post. Thank you for helping me to see different scenarios, possibilities and directions. (:

• likestonehomes
    Original Author
    last year

Amazing, this thread began with wanting to find a way to lighten cabs. We always had natural wood, cherry , oak, alder etc DH didnt want painted cabs including white. Wanting something different, I was inspired by rich dark cherry or mahogany furnishings. Alas, and here we are looking at rugs, chairs etc to balance out the dark cabinets.

I thank each and everyone of you. I have read and re-read your comments which give pause for thought. Changing things before the fact and on paper is so much easier than after, especially when other parties come into play.

We also have a lot more renovating to do, including creating a brand new family (4 pce) bathroom, where none exists. Yes, there is a space to do it.

This truly is a wonderful, inspirational, helpful community of people. As I said upthread, I hope it helps future readers faced with design dilemmas.

For anyone asking why purchase a home requiring 200-300k in renos…Location, water and views.

• shirlpp
    last year

@likestonehomes........I think you got MaryAnne and my comments mixed. I said to use it carefully, not MaryAnne.

• likestonehomes
    Original Author
    last year

@shirlpp, My apologies, you are correct and I fixed it, hopefully.

• ffpalms
    last year

Thank you for opening up your home for all of us to comment on. It’s been a pleasure to read all of the suggestions. When I saw the gorgeous view you have, I was struck by how often Jan Moyer’s mock ups mirrored the color palette. She must be psychic!

likestonehomes thanked ffpalms
  • PRO
    last year

Jan's not psychic. She's a very experienced and talented designer who is gracious enough to share her wisdom with the Houzz community for free.

Good design isn't magic; you don't look into a crystal ball and get a design plan. It's the result of planning and good execution, and comes about after many years of education and experience. Everyone here is very fortunate to be able to benefit from her suggestions. :)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

I will thank Diana for the kudos! I know quite well she has immaculate taste, and a skill set developed over many years, and many happy clients as well.

As to magic? It certainly may feel like that. When exactly, would that be? When you have found the designer who listens to you, but also gives you a push out of your comfort zone. Who hears what you say, and what you do not say. Why is that? Because he/she is gifted with the weird ability to see what is not yet THERE in your space.

For many people - ordinary homeowners , or pros highly educated in this trade or not......it is somewhat a gift. An "eye". Can you teach it? Yes, no, maybe, once in a while.

It's rather like a girl with the "it" factor . You can try to look like her, dress like her, even walk like her; get the identical haircut and color! You will look awesome ? Could be......IF you really really saw what you believe you saw.

For those of us passionate about what we do? The thrill is the final finish. It should be that for a client as well. That folks, is indeed the MAGIC. We never tire of that, either. .

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

Oh... Just thought of something funny from thirty odd years ago:

Modest home, modest budget and a client who could pitch in and DIY. We made magic from spit and glue, literally.

Very shortly after the final finish, ( cute as hell , btw ) she had a good friend over for lunch. Amid the ooohhs and ahhhs, comes this:

" It looks sooooo great , "K" , , you must be just thrilled! Mmmmmm. But on this hutch? Love the paint and all. Just wondering this here, and that little thing up here, and maybe take this away ? Looks just a bit..I don't know"

At which point my client slams/snaps her dishtowel on the counter and says.......

Dammit! Dammit! Dammit!!! Those are the three things I changed!!!"

( still cracks me up, to this day)

• PRO
    last year

hahaha, Jan!

• drblount10
    last year

Happy New Year! How are you? Any updates?

likestonehomes thanked drblount10
  • likestonehomes
    Original Author
    last year

Happy new year to all!

@drblount10 We are focussing on the living room, new rug, upholstery etc. Its a work in progress.

• drblount10
    last year

This is great, thought I would check in. I hope you all had a good holiday! I know the view was beautiful with snow on those evergreen trees! Happy Sunday!

• kl23
    last year

@likestonehomes are you ready to reveal your living room? Or have you had enough advice on it?

likestonehomes thanked kl23
  • likestonehomes
    Original Author
    11 months ago
    last modified: 11 months ago

@kl23 Hey, Kl, just saw or noticed your comment.

Update. I met with several designers, who, to my surprise, all stated the cupboards were great. No one felt they were too dark, as the room is large with lots of natural light.

Yes, the black box aka fridge must go and when $$$ is saved that will happen.

I settled on and hired young newbie, she was keen and had a lot of great ideas.

The space is still in progress.

@JAN MOYER was very right about replacing the rug. Though, not high end, it feels right in the space and was within budget! Thank you Jan

Thank you to each and everyone of you, who kindly took the time and energy to comment, give ideas, thoughts and advice.

Yet To be done: New fridge, new cabinet knobs and pulls, polished nickel. New sconces and chandelier. She suggested either black or nickel, so I am still trying to decide.

The red chair (posted upthread) is being recovered with green fabric. Hopefully, it will be finished this week. I will post photos when it arrives.

Sconce and chandelier options: Opinions welcome Silver or black?

NB, New SS counter-depth Fridge is in future plans.

• ffpalms
    11 months ago

I prefer the black finish on the light fixtures. It repeats the black of the firebox, fridge, and picture frame.

likestonehomes thanked ffpalms
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    11 months ago

I think the cabs are fine, but those counter chairs? I'd change those out for sure.

All of the furniture in the next room is very light, so I'd prob do something like this for the island

Or, even something like these

The darker one is fine. but really, you could do either

likestonehomes thanked Beth H. :
  • likestonehomes
    Original Author
    11 months ago
    last modified: 11 months ago

@Beth H. : Hey, thanks for the virtual photos. Love the white stools and black sconces.. Designer said both dark or light will work well. Same with light choices, silvr or black. She said, cant go wrong with either. The stools will be replaced eventualy, after we get new fridge.

@ffpalms I may lean toward black, but we plan on new SS fridge.

• drblount10
    11 months ago

Hi, thank you for sharing! What a difference already with the new rug and the chairs! I like the colors and it looks more relaxed and inviting!

• drblount10
    11 months ago

I also like the smart update on the dining chairs. The last picture with the couch, dining area, and cabinets looks more cohesive with neutrals and clean lines. 

I like both sconce finishes, maybe leaning toward black? 

How is the family liking it so far?

• shirlpp
    11 months ago

This appears to be the same chandelier and a bit cheaper.

• shirlpp
    11 months ago

• likestonehomes
    Original Author
    11 months ago

@drblount10 It definetky feels more cohesive. Hence more relaxing and the Family is enjoying the new look as well. Thank you for the compliment.

@shirlpp The price difference between chandeliers posted upthread and the one you posted is due to CDN $$$. Thank you for suggesting flower art change to landscape, which can come later.

• kl23
    11 months ago

@likestonehomes thank you so much for sharing. It means a lot to me to see what comes of all the idea sharing.

• rebunky
    11 months ago

First Bloom, SPAM is not allowed on this site. Please delete.

Hey, good to see the progress! Cannot wait to see the final reveal.

Just a quick thought, have you tried putting the two matching pink chairs on each side of the fireplace instead? I think the symmetry would look nice.

likestonehomes thanked rebunky
  • RedRyder
    11 months ago

I like @rebunky’s idea of the two pink chairs flanking the fireplace.

The room looks amazing…

likestonehomes thanked RedRyder
  • likestonehomes
    Original Author
    7 months ago
    last modified: 7 months ago

@K L, @rebunky, @RedRyder

I just saw these posts now, my apologies for not responding sooner. The progress continues. Thank you for your support and guidance. Most important, is the ugly, dated red chair has now been recovered. The upholsterer did an amazing job! Pink chairs have been relocated as per your suggestions. Still to be done, chandeliers and bar stools. Eventually, SS fridge. My designer suggested Neutral Cream or White bar stools, green may work as well. What are your thoughts.

• RedRyder
    7 months ago

The Urban Barn stools look the most comfortable. My normal knee jerk response to a choice of colors is to pick the green, but the creamy one is padded and definitely looks like it works better with the whole room.

Everything looks much happier. I know I’m being a pest, but can you scooch the rugs over a bit toward the couch so the feet are on the edge? It feels like the couch “fell off” the rug. The pink chairs (which look great) can be further to the edge of the rug.

The whole area looks balanced and calm. I have an open concept house and I know how hard it is to get everything to “play nicely together”.

• likestonehomes
    Original Author
    7 months ago
    last modified: 7 months ago

@RedRyder Thank you, sofa legs will be moved onto the rug. I like the beige upholstered stool, but am a bit concerned re kids, grubby peanut butter hands and keeping stools clean. Same with the green stools. I agree, though beige does blend in much better with the space.

• kl23
    7 months ago

@likestonehomes Great Job!!!!!

• likestonehomes
    Original Author
    7 months ago

@K L Thank you!

• likestonehomes
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Finally, the new SS fridge is in. It has lightened up the space so much, I am tickled.

• RedRyder
    2 months ago

Unbelievable how a different refrigerator can make such a difference. It looks great!

Any final decision on bar stools? Or are you still scouring the stores and internet?

• KW PNW Z8
    2 months ago

Huge positive difference changing the black box to the SS frig! It looks great with the other SS pieces.

likestonehomes thanked KW PNW Z8
  • likestonehomes
    Original Author
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

@RedRyder Thank you, never would have thought impact SS counterdepth fridge would have made . As for stools, its a matter of time. Yes, this is a slow endeavour, it might be awhile as this house is wanting a new bathroom, its asking for basement to be finished and it has demanded deck boards be replaced. Oh, and an exterior face lift to boot!

@KW PNW Z8 Thank you for your compliment!

• RedRyder
    2 months ago

Just a hint: when you’re NOT looking for stools, the right ones will show up. 😂