SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
likestonehomes

Refacing kitchen cabinets

likestonehomes
2 months ago
last modified: 2 months ago

I dont like my dark stained Cherry cabinets. I like the look of natural cherry, so I am thinking of having them sanded down and refinished to natural cherry. I would leave the island and dishwasher cabinets as is.

Would it look ok to have natural cherry mixed with dark island and lower cabinets? I thought of painting them white, but i love the look of wood.

Comments (144)

• likestonehomes
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Here goes… Sofa is the only thing that stays.

Chairs will either be recovered, or will get new.

• KW
    2 months ago

Easier to say which I don’t like & that’s the last 2 ”Margot Feat” & the green one with big center design. Trying to ”see” all of them without the red border that is your current rug underneath the visuals. I’m also trying to ignore the red color chairs & look at which rug is best with flooring & sofa. Do you have any ideas on new chair colors & pattern or solid? Do you think you can use a new photo for rug visuals without any of the chairs in it & maybe get a better sense of how the rugs looks with sofa & floor?

likestonehomes thanked KW
  • Related Discussions

Reface Kitchen Cabinets

Q

Comments (1)
    Sure, it can be done well by experienced people. Beware of farmed out jobs like what Sears/Home Depot/Lowe's/etc. do. Find a company that does just that kind of work and look at their track record. Plus, get a customer list and actually pick several to talk to about the way the jobs turned out.
    ...See More

Refacing Kitchen Cabinets? Lots of ?'s

Q

Comments (3)
    What you are describing is a little different from refacing. Refacing usually means new doors and drawer fronts, then covering all the rest with a thin veneer to match. That is where the tedious cutting and finish work comes in. Done right, it looks all new, but can be expensive. It can be done DIY if you are parient and confident re: cutting and gluing veneer. If your buddy's custom oak cabinets were new, that is very different from what you are dealing with. You would have to get the existing finish completely off yours before spraying with stain, AND you would have to match somehow the color on the new wood doors to that on the old wood cases (some woods change color over time). The stripping is an awful job and color matching can be dicey. You are looking at a lot of work. Easiest and least expensive fix would be to clean and prep well, paint them and replace the hardware. Or you could darken the stain with gel coats (see nearby thread). Either could be enough to tide you over indefinitely. Next up in cost would be paint/gel but also replace the doors and drawer fronts. But before going to that expense, consider whether the cabinets are worth pouring that kind of money into. Doors are the major part of cabinet cost. And as was said, IKEA is a great way to go if you are looking at replacement cabinets. Though it sounds like your plate is pretty full...
    ...See More

Removing the laminate from professionally refaced kitchen cabinets

Q

Comments (6)
    If you use thinner, you need something to protect the floor if it's anything other than a ceramic tile, and even then it's a good idea to put down something. Also if you're going to work with thinner, make sure you use the right kind of gloves. If the thinner gets trapped against skin, it may cause a nasty burn.
    ...See More

How to reface melamine kitchen cabinet side panels?

Q

Comments (10)
    For the right price custom cabinet shops can order veneer to match any door you present them. Sherwin Wiliams can do the same with color match. As for painted side texture not matching door texture,if I may I'd like to ask you a question. What kind of texture are you accustomed to seeing on finished natural Maple? Truthfully,80% of cabinets I've dealt with have little or no texture regardless of wood species. Of the 20% with texture,some were from not filling grain in Oak before clear coating,some were brush marks form a sorry painter and a few were rustic. I have to wonder whether there's visions of fit and finish found in multi-million dollar homes. That's a tall order for a diyer starting with budget cabinetary and drawing on internet forums for guidance.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Floored You: TileDesigners
    2 months ago

Do any of the chairs match in shape? Those would be the ones to recover and keep. The others should be relocated elsewhere. Maybe bedrooms? The "sofa" appears to be a 2 seater loveseat, and could stand the addition of a large sized sofa as it's mate. That would replace the seating that the chairs provide, and tone down the too many pieces busyness.

I love the cabinets! I agree that a good lighting plan is all the kitchen needs. That should include under cabinet lighting as well as directional spot lights on the cabinets.

likestonehomes thanked Floored You: TileDesigners
  • RedRyder
    2 months ago

I think we need to find this rug that @Jan Moyer posted. Your selections are too dark and don’t seem much different than a dark red rug.

Start your searches by filtering in IVORY as the main color. This look will do wonders for your house.

likestonehomes thanked RedRyder
  • KW
    2 months ago

Ditto what @RedRyder said! That made me realize why I’m not excited about any of the rugs you show. Selecting such a major piece takes time so do’t get disouraged!

likestonehomes thanked KW
  • RedRyder
    2 months ago

I think we need to find this rug that @Jan Moyer posted. Your selections are too dark and don’t seem much different than a dark red rug.

Start your searches by filtering in IVORY as the main color. I found these on Overstock.

• RedRyder
    2 months ago

Two more.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 months ago

VERY PRETTY FROM ABOVE. BOTH

likestonehomes thanked JAN MOYER
  • shirlpp
    2 months ago

IMO that Margot Feat rug is not that bad. It has a little bit of red/rust in it.

If you are going to use the runner as well - you need to ensure it compliments your kitchen cabinets.

likestonehomes thanked shirlpp
  • likestonehomes
    Original Author
    2 months ago

You are all so amazing. @JAN MOYER Im out of the reds lol

@KW I Wont get discouraged and this is a long process, long term planning.

@Floored You: TileDesigners Thank you for chiming in. The 2 pink, 1 red chairs are ’barrell’ type. I like them as they are easy too shuffle or move to other room when we have large gatherings,

• RedRyder
    2 months ago

Hallelujah! @Jan Moyer - Props for changing her mind… 😊

• likestonehomes
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I will draw a space diagram when i get a chance. Here are more pics. Yes fireplace is a work in process, dining chairs are vintage. Can stay or go.

• lanimilo
    2 months ago

Wow, this has been a master class in interior design! I feel I learned a lot! @Jan Moyer, if you are still reading, would you tell me where oh where to find those gorgeous bar stools from your first post in this thread!? I love them and think they are what I have been waiting for!

likestonehomes thanked lanimilo
  • rebunky
    2 months ago

What, you don’t think the all red look is fabulous? Dang, I was going to suggest painting the walls a soft blush pink and the fireplace a nice rich burgundy. Too much??? 🤣🤪

No, I totally understand what you are saying and agree moving towards a more light and airy color palette is going to look amazing. I just found it too funny that my rug had all your current colors.

I think I would go with softer versions of the blues and greens in the fireplace picture for pillows and other accents. The big furniture I’d keep to more neutral colors. Tie in some warm woods (kitchen cabinet and floor color), metals, other woven textures, plants, etc etc…

I was picturing more of a rug without much pattern. I didn’t find the perfect example for a rug, but I would just avoid a patterned rug as it seems to fight the artwork.

This one was mostly beige, but had some hints of your golden floor color, and colors in the artwork.

I randomly cut and pasted some items out of some room examples that the pros posted upthread. Of course, this is a jumbled mess, so you’ll have to use your imagination!

likestonehomes thanked rebunky
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 months ago

Your DESIGNERS job is to make a to scale floor plan for you.

There are alternate ways to suit a large group gathering , meaning you DON'T crowd the space with three fully upholstered chairs.

Make her do a floor plan, with the rug dimension in there - dotted line is fine.

Don't buy a stick without it. No fancy schmancy necessary. No elevation necessary, multi colored blah blah . Show me how it fits

One little quarter inch to ONE foot, flat on a piece of paper. It never "lies"

• ffpalms
    2 months ago

I agree with Red Ryder that this rug Jan Moyer posted is a great fit for your room. It includes the color of of your dark cherry cabinets. The rug in your mock-up is lacking that color to tie the whole scheme together.

likestonehomes thanked ffpalms
  • Lauren Getchell
    2 months ago

We refaced our ugly builder's grade cabinets with maple shaker doors. The company also put in a quartz countertop and we got a new free sink. It took one week because our kitchen is small. Pardon the dishes drying on the counter. I included a picture after we had to clear everything out so the renovation could begin. It cost around $14,000 for renovation. We had a friend of a friend do the back splash, and my stepdaughter painted the new color. We did not replace the appliances.

likestonehomes thanked Lauren Getchell
  • likestonehomes
    Original Author
    2 months ago

@RedRyder Yes, Jan pryed me away from red rug. Its gonna take a bit to get used to, and the rest of the family, will take some time too. This will not happen over night. lol Hope Jan is no longer screaming. It will be a process indeed!

@lanimilo Very true, a community master class. Is t this a fantastically generous community.

@rebunky Awe love the virtual room,Yup I get the idea. Pink walls, well my (90yr old) MIL still has hers, dusty rose, i think it was called. Thank you.

• drblount10
    2 months ago

I like the rugs with the little pops of red. A little red can go a long way. What a beautiful couch! Work in more natural fabrics like your couch to cover some of the chairs. Help me with layout: is that art or a TV over the fireplace? (I'm the one trying to get you more light through the windows.)What do you think about some bling as door pulls--crystal look, or brushed nickel look? (more light?)

After Just 2 ‘Uh-Oh’ Moments, a New Master Bath · More Info

likestonehomes thanked drblount10
  • rebunky
    2 months ago

Likestones, Ahhh…. the good ol’ dusty rose!

ffpalms, Yeah, I wasn’t sold on that exact rug either. Not sure on the stripes. I mainly was trying to show something with beige and some color, but just not as much pattern or design as the oriental floral medallion styles. Sorry, I am not sure how to describe that type of rug style.

I am obviously not a designer. Ya think??? Anyways, I just have fun playing around with the mockups.

I must be a glutten for punishement, so here is a similar style rug but with a hint more of the reddish brown cabinet color.

I was also thinking maybe a console table on the angled wall that had the same color of the kitchen cabinet wood?

Ok, I’ll quit now before I embarass myself more then I have already! 😝

• likestonehomes
    Original Author
    2 months ago

@drblount10 Yes, knobs can change, above fireplace is Art. Thank you for compliment on the couch. An old standby, recently recovered. Fan light also helps, as do sconces. Hard to put lamps by fireplace due to silly xtra long hearth.

@rebunky Love your mockups, do not feel embarrased they are wonderful. (:

• likestonehomes
    Original Author
    2 months ago

This is the direction suggested by designer. We are starting with the red chair then moving on to rug.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 months ago

Help me. What do YOU think?

I don't think you understand the design/designer/client relationship at all.

It is not one of completely abandoning what you love. It is not just one person against the designer, nor FOR the designer. It is a dialogue, and I am beginning to well understand why the previous situations didn't work. Why are you beginning with a scrap of accent fabric, and making the rug the follow up? How do you FEEL about that fabric, other than it suits the sofa fabric quite well.

Where is your input, given ALL the input here, thus far? Have you shown that input to the designer ? See what I mean? She is your travel agent. Her job is to take you where you want to go, BETTER than you can get on your own. That's her only job - a better route to your destination.

Where is the furniture floor plan , where is the overall scheme, which at this point is missing a key element called R.U.G? and none I see above, suit that scrap of fabric, particularly well.. JMHO.

• lanimilo
    2 months ago

@Jan Moyer Would you tell me where to find the bar stool you showed in your first post to this thread? Thank you.

likestonehomes thanked lanimilo
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 months ago

lanimilo

It was a screen shot. I honestly have no clue! It would take an historic dig. I'll TRY this weekend.

Google "rattan counter stools" . There are lots : )

• rebunky
    2 months ago

That first rug is beautiful! Both are, but I like the first one best.

However, I would definitely not re-cover the chairs in a large patterned print. I would go with a solid fabric (like the blue-gray posted by Jan above) on the chairs.

You can have plenty fun with bolder prints on throw pillows since they are easy enough to change out if get tired of them, but not so much if on an entire chair.

It is not so much the print itself I don’t like. I think it is when one large print is directly next to another large print, like on the rug. I don’t mind a large print next to a different smaller scaled print, if they coordinate though.

I think the print on throw pillows on the solid beige sofa or a solid color chair would look nice because the solid color would be between them and the rug. You could then repeat that same print as seat cushions for the bar chairs or dining chairs. Hope that all made sense haha!

• shirlpp
    2 months ago

This might be the stool @lanimilo

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 months ago

Yeah...... think that IS the stool, or close enough!. Anyway.............dear lord in the heavens, get a rug! Start with A RUG.

The rug is your MAP on the road trip. Yes , It's the one from up above in the thread.

https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/William-Ivory-Rustic-Vintage-Area-Rug-51-x-74/17095524/product.html?opre=1

THIS IS YOU?? Really?? From red Persian to ....who?

• rebunky
    2 months ago

I tried making the one print fabric into a couple pillows. That is supposed to be fringe and tassles lol!

I must say, that particular print is not working for me with the rug and the rest. Too modern maybe???

I think the rug style seems like “you” 😉 and seems to go good with the two rose pictures too. If you like the rug, maybe go from there. Ask the designer for a couple solid fabric choices for the chair (or two) and then maybe a few other coordinationg prints for pillows?

• likestonehomes
    Original Author
    2 months ago

@JAN MOYER thank you for chiming in and for taking the time to do your boards. The floor plan is in process of being done.

The carpet you suggested at overstock, is not available in canada. Hence the other suggestions. We are going through fabric selections and i thought the one i showed was certainly different and appealing. However, after thinking more about patterned furnitture, I prefer solid and would use patterns with pillows.

. ( Interestingly @rebunky must have read my thoughts. I just saw her comments and mockup. )

As far as colour and schemes, I like blues, greens as well as red. Cozy, comfy, light, airy, country, traditional, classic etc I like it all.

@rebunky Thank you for your mock ups, they are wonderful.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    2 months ago

You could make it easy on yourself and get an inexpensive sea grass, sisal or jute rug. It's a great look--light, airy, modern, and leave the pattern/colors for the upholstery, curtains and pillows.

Great Room and Living Room in Naples Florida vacation home · More Info

Long Island Dutch Colonial Home · More Info

Lattingtown, New York · More Info

Long Island Dutch Colonial Home · More Info

Manheim Farmhouse · More Info

Roomscenes · More Info

New Waterfront Home North Chatham · More Info

Living Spaces & Great Rooms · More Info

Manchester Shingle Style · More Info

likestonehomes thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • likestonehomes
    Original Author
    2 months ago

@Diana Bier Interiors, LLC Awe, thank you Diana! Jute another good idea to consider. Love your room photos as well.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 months ago

Diana and I crossed ....see my ps below this comment.

Why is the rug so important? Because you don't want a "plain". You didn't like the concept of a nice chunky natural texture and fiber like a sisal. Pattern sets a feel in a room from modern to traditional. Colors set a feel in a space. Warm, cool , in between etc.

Rugs also literally TELEGRAPH a price point. They look rich and inviting, or they look as cheap as they are.

A single very good thing in a room, can elevate an entire room. A room full of cheap stuff? Well. That room is going to read cheap. Hand knotted has a look, machine made junk from China generally screams just that. Size is important as well in any rug.

Persian , tribal, Moroccan, Boho......etc and the content of fiber.

Hi to low all in Canada. Overstock DOES have a Canadian site. But I think you need to sit with that designer and budget WHERE the $$$ effort will go. Are you, am I, creating a long term love it forever room, or am I willing to start a rug search all over again in 18 to 24 months?

Are rugs endless in color, pattern and all the aforementioned. They are indeed. .........and that's the problem. You and that designer must pick a direction, a feel. A destination. Then stick to it or spin forever.

Just a sampling hi to low $$$

AND LETS NOT LEAVE OUT KILIMS....

Rather spend 500 on that, than a cheap China import, ala Overstock, that's for sure.

The point is, it can't be your "afterthought" unless it CAN be. .....except it isn't paint: ) which can be mixed to a fraction of a shade of any hue.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 months ago

PS........

Agree w/ Diana.

Except I gave you a chunky jute way up above and it met with MEH. : )

Which goes to the rug is either the beginning, or the end of the process.

I said..........

"Sometimes.......the answer is less commitment. A wonderful chunky texture. These abound in natural fibers, In broadloom in wonderful wools that can be fabricated to the inch".

That means your fabrics and art call the direction.

Sit down with whom you hired. Pick the direction. She will not spin endlessly with you. Not unless she bills you for the "spin", or she could be slinging burgers at the Burger King or its equivalent.

There is a client that terrifies designers. You are it. They either level with you, or level with you on their exit. WAH.

You can't do what you are doing here. Can't exclaim "Awe...it's lovely..." a nice sentiment. You're not paying us. You ARE paying her.

• freedomplace1
    2 months ago

Hi @likestonehomes - To answer your question: I don’t believe there are actual Pottery Barns in Canada. But they do ship internationally; and I would think Canada would be one of the destinations. https://www.potterybarn.com/customer-service/how-to-order-int.html

So of course you have your own vendors in Canada - but just to answer your question, and to give you a few ideas, in case you and your designer may be interested. As you scroll down on the rug link (I am providing at the bottom of this post) just about any of the rugs could work with your Traditional/Eclectic style and your colors. And btw, I am very glad you are keeping the two matching red chairs. And I like the fabric - the printed pattern you were looking at. It’s interesting. It sort of reminds me of an animal print - without being an animal print, per se; and could lend some visual interest to the room, especially since you are predominantly using chairs. That is mainly why I had suggested an animal print for that single red chair. And I think the pattern you are showing could work with the rugs you have shown. It is more of a neutral type of effect with that type of pattern, imo. Your designer knows what she is doing.

Here’s the Pottery Barn link. As I said, you can scroll down the page to view the various rugs.

https://www.potterybarn.com/m/products/charli-persian-style-rug-mp/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwyt-ZBhCNARIsAKH11742cjw7pUHssjOmeeapcdEVqe3MLBEyuYJ1SYUjIUN1fwCPdMvpoxcaAqBlEALw_wcB&catalogId=84&cm_ven=PLA&cm_ite=3133236_14546951676&cm_pla=Rugs+%3E+Persian-Style+Rugs&sku=3133236&cm_cat=Google&region_id=669950

likestonehomes thanked freedomplace1
  • shirlpp
    2 months ago

And then there is also the particularly obnoxious campaign effort to instead shove blue chairs (etc.) down the OP’s throat.

@freedomplace1 - Exactly! I agree with you. When one person mentions it - everyone else follows.

@likestonehomes - Red is my favorite color and I have 2 red accent chairs in my family room. The rest of the room compliments the red. If you like red - use it - carefully!

• likestonehomes
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Yikes, i just accidently deleted my entire comments and That was before the last 3 posts. I will be back,hopefully later today or tomorrow. Before then, Thank you ever ever so much.

I hope this thread serves as education in design for many more posters to come!!

• PRO
    2 months ago

I agree with Jan about the quality level. Personally I do not care for most of the rugs that are being featured right now. That's why I'd rather spend less money on a natural fiber rug and focus on the other features in the room than get a cheap patterned rug. I refuse to buy polyproylene, which is what a lot of rug manufacturers and distributors are showing. And the machine made rugs aren't what they used to be. The older Karastans are beautiful and wear like iron. I have 4 or 5 of them and can't kill them. But the new ones are, in a word, ugly.

I'd focus on quality upholstery, and custom made pillows and window treatments. Well-made vintage case goods can be gotten for a song at thrift and consignment stores. That's what makes a beautiful room. All the rooms I posted scream high quality and impeccable taste. (None of them are mine, BTW, so I'm not touting my own horn!)

But, and this is important, you are paying a designer. If one of my clients were second-guessing my suggestions and crowd-sourcing ideas online, I'd not be happy, and I'd make my feelings known.

Off my soapbox now.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 months ago

"And then there is also the particularly obnoxious campaign effort to instead shove blue chairs (etc.) down the OP’s throat."

Nobody and no one is shoving anything or any color down the tonsils of the op.

The thread began as one with suggestions to smooth; soften, relieve, a room with DARK cabinetry- made worse, ( no offense ) by the overload of deep red in the room and in that cabinet tone.

Go back and count the number of suggested schemes, palettes, the op has been provided. Free of charge from pro and non alike. Then, go have a really nice day : ) after you've read the rhyme and reason for any and all of them.

You can't solve any problem until and unless you recognize exactly WHAT that "problem" may be.

There is always the option for any op to state: "I like what I have and it is staying". Maybe the problem simply remains, in that scenario.......still not recognized for what it is. It's a free country, for outcomes, suggestions, et all.

Design is 90% solutions to problems. Fixing them, avoiding them, and definitely trying hard not to create more of them.

• likestonehomes
    Original Author
    2 months ago

@JAN MOYER Again, thank your for your comments and tutorial/classes, examples etc. They are truly appreciated. Yes, you showed Jutte as did @Diana Bier Interiors, LLC., Though, I liked what she presented, its just not what I picture. You made good points re versatility of jutte rugs.

• likestonehomes
    Original Author
    2 months ago

@freedomplace1 Thank you for your thoughts and comments along with your Pottery Barn links. They have a Canadian online store.

@Verbo You asked if I like red, yes I do. The issue, for me, is being able to visualize an item, either carpet, tables etc in the room itself, taking into account lighting (natural or otherwise). This room has a lot of natural light, however, dark cabs, I since learned, absorbs much of it. The current area rug, was chosen as I simply liked it. But, I agree it is too much for the space. Thank you, again for recommendations re artifical lighting on the cabs.

There were no overhead lights in the home and panel box is ’miles’ away in the lower level garage. (Thank goodness we have a creative SIL, who just happens to be an electrician as well.) Whoever, wired this house, way back when, created a rats nest nightmare. PS, No im not being pushed toward any design choice and am able to speak up.

• likestonehomes
    Original Author
    2 months ago

@MaryAnne Thank you for your comments

@shirlpp Im moving in the direction to coordinate red with other colours. Enough red already, lol Yes, ’Use it Carefully’!

@Diana Bier Interiors, LLC Your points are well taken, especially with regard to quality and natural fiber rug. I appreciate what you are saying re crowd sourcing. However, I started the thread before having a designer.

@JAN MOYER, re your last post. Thank you for helping me to see different scenarios, possibilities and directions. (:

• likestonehomes
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Amazing, this thread began with wanting to find a way to lighten cabs. We always had natural wood, cherry , oak, alder etc DH didnt want painted cabs including white. Wanting something different, I was inspired by rich dark cherry or mahogany furnishings. Alas, and here we are looking at rugs, chairs etc to balance out the dark cabinets.

I thank each and everyone of you. I have read and re-read your comments which give pause for thought. Changing things before the fact and on paper is so much easier than after, especially when other parties come into play.

We also have a lot more renovating to do, including creating a brand new family (4 pce) bathroom, where none exists. Yes, there is a space to do it.

This truly is a wonderful, inspirational, helpful community of people. As I said upthread, I hope it helps future readers faced with design dilemmas.

For anyone asking why purchase a home requiring 200-300k in renos…Location, water and views.

• shirlpp
    2 months ago

@likestonehomes........I think you got MaryAnne and my comments mixed. I said to use it carefully, not MaryAnne.

• likestonehomes
    Original Author
    2 months ago

@shirlpp, My apologies, you are correct and I fixed it, hopefully.

• ffpalms
    2 months ago

Thank you for opening up your home for all of us to comment on. It’s been a pleasure to read all of the suggestions. When I saw the gorgeous view you have, I was struck by how often Jan Moyer’s mock ups mirrored the color palette. She must be psychic!

likestonehomes thanked ffpalms
  • PRO
    2 months ago

Jan's not psychic. She's a very experienced and talented designer who is gracious enough to share her wisdom with the Houzz community for free.

Good design isn't magic; you don't look into a crystal ball and get a design plan. It's the result of planning and good execution, and comes about after many years of education and experience. Everyone here is very fortunate to be able to benefit from her suggestions. :)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 months ago

I will thank Diana for the kudos! I know quite well she has immaculate taste, and a skill set developed over many years, and many happy clients as well.

As to magic? It certainly may feel like that. When exactly, would that be? When you have found the designer who listens to you, but also gives you a push out of your comfort zone. Who hears what you say, and what you do not say. Why is that? Because he/she is gifted with the weird ability to see what is not yet THERE in your space.

For many people - ordinary homeowners , or pros highly educated in this trade or not......it is somewhat a gift. An "eye". Can you teach it? Yes, no, maybe, once in a while.

It's rather like a girl with the "it" factor . You can try to look like her, dress like her, even walk like her; get the identical haircut and color! You will look awesome ? Could be......IF you really really saw what you believe you saw.

For those of us passionate about what we do? The thrill is the final finish. It should be that for a client as well. That folks, is indeed the MAGIC. We never tire of that, either. .

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 months ago

Oh... Just thought of something funny from thirty odd years ago:

Modest home, modest budget and a client who could pitch in and DIY. We made magic from spit and glue, literally.

Very shortly after the final finish, ( cute as hell , btw ) she had a good friend over for lunch. Amid the ooohhs and ahhhs, comes this:

" It looks sooooo great , "K" , , you must be just thrilled! Mmmmmm. But on this hutch? Love the paint and all. Just wondering this here, and that little thing up here, and maybe take this away ? Looks just a bit..I don't know"

At which point my client slams/snaps her dishtowel on the counter and says.......

Dammit! Dammit! Dammit!!! Those are the three things I changed!!!"

( still cracks me up, to this day)

• PRO
    2 months ago

hahaha, Jan!