SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gary_fitzgerald29

Tomato seed swap

I'll again be hosting the Mostly Mystery 'Mater Mailing (MMMM) seed swap this fall. Details can be found here...

https://www.tomatojunction.com/mmmm-swap.html

Comments (13)

• last year

I would love to participate in this swap, but I have only been saving Black Cherry Tomato seeds. I also have flower seeds, which I use to attract/support pollinators. I have enough BCT seeds to fill nearly infinite packages, so would that be acceptable? I would contribute tons of the cherry tomatoes, and also annual flower seeds.

Martha

• last year

Martha,

Black Cherry tomato seeds would be fine (always popular with newbies), and the flower seeds would be great (usually there is not a large supply coming in) !

I suggest that you start working on a wish list of veggie/fruit/ flower seeds. These can be specific varieties or general types of what you might be looking for. If you go to the site linked, the thread "Master List tomatoes" will give you an idea of the vast assortment of tomato varieties that can be available to participants.

• last year

I'm getting excited. I have been packing up seeds, and I have even more flower seeds than I remembered. I also have stray vegetable leftovers from commercial packs that I have decided not to try again. Carrots, in general, are a bit finicky for me. I will definitely look at the list and begin a wish list. Though, I would honestly be thrilled with anything.

Martha

• last year

Well, technology is obstructing me, as usual. I tried to post on the Tomato Junction site, but was asked to register. I tried that, but never received the necessary email "confirmation," including in my junk mail. Now I'm told my username is "inactive." I have sent an email to "administration," and we'll see if they can help.

I was going to post my spoiler alert there, though I don't have anything rare or in high demand.

Black Cherry Tomatoes (60+ packs)

Principe Borghe (sp?) tomatoes

Nantes Carrots

Other various scattered vegetables.

Un-named OP Zinnias-Yellow with Magenta inner ring. (10 packs?)

Tithonia-Mexican Sunflower (30+ packs)

Cosmos sulphureous-yellow (30+ packs)

Monarda fistulosa (10 packs?)

Monarda citriodora (10 packs?)

Annual Rudbeckia-Autumn Colors (10 packs?)

Purple Anise hyssop

Catnip

All are packed in labeled 2x3" zip-locked bags, ready for shipment.

My wish list is basically anything that is leftover from the amazing lists of others. I've not grown almost any of the tomato varieties listed, so would try any of them. similarly, any peppers. Then beans, greens, herbs, and any winter squash/edible pumpkins.

I have included a wish list in my bubble envelope. I know I'm way ahead of schedule, but this is the only swap I've found, so far. Happy Swapping!

Martha

• last year

would like to swap. have plenty of annuals and perenials

• last year

Welcome to the swap. If you have any questions, just ask.

• last year

Well, I put my seeds in the mail 15 minutes ago, and realized, as I handed it to the postal empolyee, that I had forrgotten my return postage. I swore I wouldn't do that. Let's chalk it up to dementia--at 57 years old. Just kidding. So, I'm putting a follow-up envelope in the mail to correct that situation.

Martha

• last year

This makes me so mad. I've been a garden web member for probably 15 yeqrs, and have used my old links to my favorite forums without having to do the Houzz thing, ever. But, this time they woulddn't let me post without "signing in," and now my title is HU-whatever. This is the straw that is breaking this camel's back. I'm truly about to become a hermit and volunteer at homeless shelters to cook for them and share their food and whatever I can raise in my garden. This seed swap will help me raise local, seasonal, organic food that I can share with anyone close by. Our world is going to s---. Whatever happened to, "And the greatest of theses is love."?

I'm now going to rake leaves to mulch next years' garden. Nothing more soothing than time spent in the cool, crunchy leaves of fall.

Martha

• last year

Martha,

You're not the first to forget postage. It happens so often, that some participants send in extra to cover those who forget, and also to cover a few foreign participants who have no access to US cash or stamps. I won't go into covering the occasional surprise chocolate bars.

You should see an abundance of the love, in your return package.

• last year

I already put an envelope in the mail with plenty of postage. I hope to become one of the generous, helpful souls around here.

Martha

• last year

Wow!! I received my trade package in the mail yesterday and poured through the seeds all day today. Counting the tomatoes alone, I received more than 191 different varieties--plus bunches of other veggies. I don't know what I'm supposed to do with them all. I would need a huge Market-type garden and additional staff to grow them all. And they're all fantastic varieties! Most are heirlooms, and many are those I have heard of before with excellent reviews. However, the vast majority are completely new to me, but get rave reviews when I looked them up online.

I would love to grow some of the varieties in order to make them available to others next year, but that limits the number of varieties I can grow to even fewer, due to potential cross polination. That's not a big issue with tomatoes, but pepper and squash are tougher.

So, now I guess I need to find a few folks who are looking for some seeds to start soon. I made a hand-written list of what I have, but I shoud probably put it in the computer so it's accessable to others. A project for tomorrow. Or the next several days.

Martha

• last year

Just don't try to do it all in one season. Figure out what you have room for, but make sure to start a few extra plants, just in case.

As for tomatoes and common beans, I don't worry about crossing. In fact I hope for it, and am usually disappointed there are so few crosses.

Peppers cross often enough, but donations to the swap are rarely bagged, participants just don't worry about such things.

Winter squash of the same type will readily cross, but a pepo, moschata, and maxima will not cross with the other types. Grow one of each and there's no problem . Grow two of a type, removing the male flowers from one will result in the one still with the male flowers not crossing and the other one crossing.

If you can't decide on what tomatoes to grow, come up with a number you have room for. Randomly choosing works for me, although there are a few certain types that I don't care for. If you haven't tried many of the various types, it would likely be best to sample from a wide variety of types, the first year, to find those types you like the best,

• last year

Those are great suggestions and helpful comments re seed saving. Thank you. I will have a blast choosing and growing each variety.

Martha

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars154 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource