SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
oursteelers

Palantine lists

I think Palantine has updated their inventory of what they will be selling next season because I see Ascot!!!!

Comments (90)

• dianela7bnorthal
    17 days ago
    last modified: 17 days ago

Librarian Ascot does get blackspot here. The blooms are very beautiful, but similar to Florentinas. Florentina is 100 percent blackspot free here. Neither is fragrant.

I am going to sell ( at some point) my property and I am only taking with me the top healthiest varieties. Exceptions made for some Austin’s I can’t be without like Boscobell.

• librarian_gardner_8b_pnw
    17 days ago

Thanks, Dianela. Your sharing is helping me decide I'm okay without Ascot.

• Related Discussions

New Roses from Palantine - opinions on these?

Q

Comments (28)
    Mossy and Jane - it's good for cooler summers. I like that!! Curdle - so lavender and citrusy for S.E. That sounds good! I would love that! Seil - that's too bad. Crumply dried petals and the other rose didn't like your winter. I don't think either of those would be concerns for me (except for the slow repeat). Sounds like you need to shop for 2 new roses!! Buford - yes! I love the orange color!! I really want that color. :) Devsense - yes, I order now and tell them where I'm from and to deliver them in the spring. They send them when it's good for my zone. I think you pay for some now, and the rest in the spring. Farmerduck - really!! Now!?? Wow, I've been away, I've got to get going on my list. :) Have fun everyone with your rose ordering! And thanks! Carol
    ...See More

What Roses have you ordered so far-2018 and want list

Q

Comments (110)
    rosecanadian, you may have already seen the pictures I shared before, but here we go again! I love Belinda because she smells dreamy, tough as nails, in constant bloom and one of my first roses! (my mom purchased her for me, along with a few others) The other thing is that she has so many different "faces". Classy, upright buds that turn into the most glorious blowsy blooms! I can cut flowers and they seem to last forever in the vase...scents the whole room. I have seen many post that she is not that fragrant for them..but not the case in my humid, hot climate. She is a rose that I will always have..234I cut her back for the first time this year (4th year growing, I think) so she would put on more growth from the bottom. My son's lab plowed thru her while playing with my little dogs! My girls went under and Scout went through! lol I did see a touch of black spot this year, but she drops a few leaves and soldiers on. NEVER looks bad..even in our 98 degree + weather. I have one that I rooted a few years ago, planted in a spot in the yard that is a pain to access with a hose, and it is thriving. I watered it a few times with a watering can and that is it! This was a few years ago. She is in my back yard that gets full sun from the south and west. She never wilts even with the excessive heat radiating from the driveway and light colored bricks. (and gracious, everything else does!!) I actually planted a forest pansy redbud behind her...that area bakes!! Tea olives are another must have southern staple. They also just bake and thrive.
    ...See More

Help me....rose replacement list below.

Q

Comments (14)
    I've only had 'Poseidon', own root, for one year but it came through last year's arctic blast winter just fine. I don't think I had to prune anything on this rose; maybe a few tips that got a cold blast before they were hardened off. It's 3x3 or so right now, bushy, disease resistant (so far), and did its best to give me several blooms. Japanese beetles got many of those, and some did fry in our summer here. I'm pretty hopeful it will grow out of the frying with age based on what others in even warmer zones have reported. Some have reported he tends to get BIG, but most of those seem to be dealing with multiflora-grafted roses. I want to say I got mine from Roses Unlimited, but I'm not certain. Might I suggest another Kordes rose to add to your potential replacements? Ruby Ice is a blooming machine - pumped out dozens of these little red and white reverse blooms from spring until frost! Also in it's first year for me, but just as hardy and disease resistant as 'Poseidon' so far. I don't think it had ratty leaves even at the end of the season. No scent, and the blooms are small, but there's a lot of them and they hold well as cut flowers. It's also quite thornless! I got mine from Chamblee's.
    ...See More

Behold.. Biedermeier Rose

Q

Comments (41)
    I forgot about the catanache! cupid's dart? In this one you can see the cupid's dart and the trachelium and a hint of the lime heuchera beneath Munstead Wood. And I can't believe I forgot about the trachelium!!
    ...See More
  • Feiy Lo (PNWZ8b)
    17 days ago

Dianela, I'm interested in what roses you'll take with you. I always need more beautiful and healthy roses to grow.

• Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b
    17 days ago

Also please note that Peter Schneider at Freedom Gardens has a GORGEOUS NIRP climber that I think is from the same series as Crazy Fashion: Easy Fashion :) It looks to me almost like Honorine de Brabant.

https://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.77543&tab=36

• berrypiez6b
    17 days ago

That's a beauty.

• Meg-zone8aOR
    17 days ago

What does NIRP stand for?

• rosecanadian
    17 days ago

Librarian - !!!! Soooo beautiful!! Happy sigh. :) :)

Aaron - I don't want a climber...but I am so tempted! :) :)

Meg - not really sure...it's a French company that hybridizes roses (Adams is the hybridized), sells cut flowers and bushes.

• Nippstress Nebraska z5
    17 days ago

NIRP stands for Nouveautés Internationales de Roses et de Plantes - it's a French company that distributes roses and I think represents more than one breeder.

Kristine, I'm amazed that Forever Rose didn't do well for you - must be differences in location. Mine is absolutely MASSIVE, branching everywhere, thickly foliaged from the base, bearing Austin-like fat rose blooms all over it in a soft pink color. It's 100% cane hardy and one of those few roses I'm actually going to have to do a shaping prune on to keep it in bounds. I absolutely love love love mine.

I echo the enthusiastic responses for Crazy Fashion and Easy Fashion - totally striking intense stripes on fat blooms and winter hardy for my zone 5.

Carol, I have or have tried to grow all the roses on your list, so I at least have opinions as follows:

Lasting Love...for sure! - Good choice and cane hardy for me if grafted. Good rebloomer

2. Soeur Emmanuelle - huge and cane hardy for me even own root, and probably a monster grafted. Big fat blooms - wants to grow like a climber with blooms on the end of the canes so train them sideways. Would need a BIG pot

3. Bliss Parfume - maybe (any thoughts on this rose?) - I love this rose and it's cane hardy and an enthusiastic bloomer for me with good repeat. Can fade to white in heat but it keeps blooming. JBs love this one too sadly.

4. Black Caviar - maybe. Nah, you don't want this one because I DO (kidding of course) - I've been wanting to order this one for years and the pictures just increase the amount of drool.

5. Ann Vanderlove - maybe - Mine overwintered reasonably well and is a medium sized branching rose in a saturated red-orange. I like the form and it's a popping color

6. Julia - Mine survived for years own root and it has a lovely picotee edge. Happy to see I can get it grafted.

7. La Fontaine aux Perles - I'm trying to make the cut to get this one again myself.

8. La Rose de Molinard - same

9. Amour de Molene - same

10. Beverly - going to try this one again. Mine is own root and is hardy but a one-cane wonder. I think it would do better grafted.

11. Roberto Alagna - Mine has survived my winter and I think put out some blooms. Most HTs take a while to settle in so I can't judge one way or another.

12. Sidonie. If you like fragrance you really want this rose. It's by far my favorite of my OGRs and the most reliable one that reblooms. I have a notoriously bad nose for scents but I can always smell this one and it's a classic and strong Old Garden Rose scent. Deep pink and puts out an amazing profusion of blooms along long draping canes in spring, with good though less profuse blooms later in the season. I have a few blooms now in miserable heat and drought.

I know last year was frustrating ordering from Palatine but they are genuinely trying to improve their technology and we do have insane buying habits from them as the rose obsessed that descend on their site en masse at the stroke of the hour they release the roses. I don't think there are many independent small businesses that can cope with Ticketmaster type volume of purchases in a short time like this so I resolve to be patient. They have terrific quality roses that no one else sells and are willing to spend time with other rose fanatics talking about roses, outside of the feeding frenzy purchase season of course. I respect them as a business and as people so I support them as a business too.

Haven't made my drool list yet but I will. Thanks for the notice

Cynthia

• Nippstress Nebraska z5
    17 days ago

OK, I made my list of 27 "must order if I can" plus another 10 maybes, which is average for my Palatine orders. The reason I don't have more on my list is I have most of the rest of the roses they offer.

Just thought I'd add a plug for some roses others haven't mentioned yet:

Acropolis - Meg, I really like mine and it's about 10 years old. It hasn't gotten as big this year as in past years, but it's drought season. The antiqued pink-bronze blooms plus cream reverse in a cupped bloom is pretty unique in my experience and the blooms last long and age well on the bush at least. It's really different from other roses to my eye.

Crazy Love, I love like crazy - it stands out in my yard, is cane hardy, tall upright and bushy and has knock your socks off bright yellow/apricot variegated blooms. You need this rose if you like bright unique combinations of colors

Garden Delight - I sing this rose's praises all the time and it's in my top 20 of 850+ roses and might be in my top 10. Nonstop orange-coral-yellow-pink mutable blooms on a 6' plus cane hardy bush that is clean as a whistle all year. Ditto on this rose if you like color

Mandarin Ice - this is a totally cane hardy rose in my virtual zone 4 part of the yard that is also vividly colored and a steady bloomer all year. Clean Kordes foliage with good branching and BS resistance. A rose friend came to help me pick roses to bring to our rose show this weekend (probably my one and only rose show I'll ever do) and she spent some time over this rose indicating how intriguing the colors were and how well it might show as a shrub. It blooms in clusters with vivid "mandarin" red (sort of bright coral-orange-red dusky color with light reverse. The colors blend reasonably well with the apricot-pink ones in the rest of the bed

Salita - OK speaking of color, this is one of the most vivid orange flowers I have and it survives in a harsh section of the yard. It climbs and isn't a very floriforous bloomer, but that's own root - grafted is likely to double or triple the blooms. Mine is usually cane hardy, at least 10 years old and it totally pops if you like bright color.

Out of Rosenheim - low to medium height very bushy rose pretty covered in fluffy red blooms most of the season. Totally clean foliage - more Kordes - and stays a more or less true red color without being garish. I have it in a mostly pink bed and it plays nicely with its neighbors.

Eifelzauber - mine is huge and has delusions of climbing. It doesn't bloom a ton in mostly shade but it wants to cover serious territory and in even part sun I'm pretty sure it would be a substantial statement of a rose. Cane hardy and clean.

Cynthia

• Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)
    17 days ago
    last modified: 16 days ago

@rosecanadian You know I love my Sidonie. It blooms heavily in Spring for about 3 weeks with a lovely fragrance, I get a smattering of fall blooms but nothing crazy. The blooms are a "cool" toned pink that tend towards (and occasionally achieve) a lavender color when aged. It is very thorny and tends to Velcro onto itself because of all the thorns, they're the kind that will make you swear when they snag you. For me it has been very vigorous in year 2. I love mine. I will update with an up to date bush shot soon.

Here it is today, basically the end of season 2. 5' wide and 4'ish tall, I'm training it along the short fence behind.

Thorns, they are bubblegum pink in the spring :)

• Deborah (Z10 Coastal CA)
    16 days ago

I feel like you are all drug dealers!!! I was resolved not to order any new roses, but now you have me going to the Palatine website and droooling over all the roses I don't have but suddenly need need need.

I might try Nahema (some of you have been going on about her for years), Black Caviar, and the one that really is growing on me (maybe mostly for the name) is the Rambling Rector!

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    16 days ago

Cynthia, im so glad that the Forever Rose is thriving for you.

I knew that several of us had purchased that rose but I never heard any feedback which told me that it was probably doing well.

Mine just bloomed white and immediately crisped up and it wasn't even hot..

So glad to hear that it can be a stunner.

As much as I am tempted I think that I need to be done

I have zero space but there are some tempting offerings this year.

My two recommendations are

Our Anniversary

Rosematic fuschia

• Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b
    16 days ago

Nahema is one I've seen at Freedom Gardens early in the year this year as well as at A Reverence for Roses every one in a great while (that's how I got mine). If you miss out on the grafted one from Palatine there are backups.

• Feiy Lo (PNWZ8b)
    16 days ago

Nippstress, Your collection is really stunning! Garden Delight is my top 10! Second year from Palatine and it has grown as a handsome 5x5 shrub. Super healthy in my Seattle garden, and I found it has a stronger scent than I thought.

Do you grow Roberta Bondar? King's Ransom and Buff Beauty's child, sounds so tempting. I always want to add a yellow climber but I haven't found one that healthy enough in my climate.

• Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b
    16 days ago

@rosecanadian there are a few sources for Bliss if you don't want to risk not getting it from Palatine. Can you get roses from the US? If so, ARE and Northland both have it:

https://antiqueroseemporium.com/products/bliss

https://www.northlandrosarium.com/products/bliss-perfuma-kormarzau

and if not

https://www.selectroses.ca/order/p/bliss-parfuma

• rosecanadian
    16 days ago

Thanks, Aaron. :) :) American rose places won't ship here. And Select Roses won't ship anywhere...but, they do send some of their roses to Phoenix Perennials (and they'll ship to Canadians).

Cynthia - You found out what NIRP stands for. :) Excellent. Yes, I agree about Lasting Love...I grew it, and it died last summer...and I really, really want it again. I've been feeling (Chartreuse de Parme...if Palatine offers it again...why have I been promoting it like a fool? LOL) like you feel about promoting Black Caviar. :) :) I tried Beverly a few years ago...it just never thrived for me. Man, I sure have KO'd quite a few roses over the years. I was wondering if I should try again. But, since yours isn't thriving...I think I'll leave it. I think you have convinced me NOT to get Sidonie...long draping arms are not the kind of roses I like to grow. Just personal preference. I appreciate that it does well for you, :) :) and I'm glad you told me how it grows. Thank you! :) I really appreciate your detailed explanations of why you like or don't like a rose. :) :)

Magpie - beautiful blooms on your Sidonie! Thanks for explaining how wonderful this rose is. Your pictures really show that. Your 1st and 2nd pics show such exquisite blooms! And I'm glad you also talk about how long the canes are...I'm going to skip this rose. It just would have aggravated me. :)

Deborah - drug dealers who use our own product. :)

Kristine - I had Rosemantic Fuchsia on my list, but I took it off because hmf shows pictures of long drapey canes. Yours sure is beautiful though. :)

16 days ago

Carol, hum, I would be kind of surprised if Rosematic fuschia got drappy arms

So far it is a nice compact bush just loaded with blooms. I am so pleased with this one. So far I like it better than Sweet Spirit.

16 days ago

Thanks, Aaron! Good to know.

• Rachel Ohio-Zone6A
    16 days ago

Rosecanadian I do think you will love La Rose de Molinard. It doesn’t get as much credit as it deserves, IMO. Mine is 2nd year from Palatine, and it is MASSIVE, around 7ft tall, and can get quite full if I do not prune back. I’m 6A in Columbus OH, and it does very well with the cold, it’s in a spot that gets a lot of wind. It’s a bit crowded, though, and I do get some black spot if I’m not diligent. The frangrance is one of the strongest in my garden, and visitors always comment on it. The blooms stay full, and tightly quartered. A lovely warm pink color. Some single, some clusters. Very quick repeat. I recommend! It’s right by my ascot, which is also huge. I most definitely planted them too close together. My ascot never has the deep coloring of Diane’s, more of a raspberry color. They look nice together.

• rosecanadian
    16 days ago

Kristine - ..... and .... it's back on the list. :) :) Thank you! :)

Rachel - such beautiful roses in your bouquet! Thanks for the info on La Rose de Molinard's exceptional fragrance. I've put it on my list. :) :) Such an enabler. :)

BTW, Palatine has added more roses. Check them out. :) :)

• Rachel Ohio-Zone6A
    16 days ago

Oh how I love that enabling is a 2-way street, haha. It might have been a different person who was considering Rose de Molinard, but I think the info is helpful regardless.

I’ve been stalking Palatine’s site for a few days now, so excited this morning to see so many options! I have many of the offerings on the list, due to their roses being so fantastic for me. Here are a few I’m considering, if anyone has experiences/pictures.

1. Ace of Hearts. I’m looking for a good “traditional” HT red that keeps that medium-deep color, and doesn’t get too light in the heat. HT’s are so hit or miss for me in my zone, I’m wondering if this one on multiflora would would well.
    2. Augusta Louise. I’m not quite as wild as every
    3. Ayrshire Splendens. I’m loving the pearlescent quality to the blooms. I’ve always wanted a rambler, but I don’t think I have anyplace for it. It would bleed to live in a pot for a couple of years while we continue to work on/figure out our backyard landscaping.
    4. Blush Veranda. To replace my cream veranda that was sadly lost fighting a horrific ant infestation in our front flower beds. (As an aside-be mindful if trying to use the cardboard alternative for organic weed control. You will grow a massive destructive ant colony underneath, and kill nearby plants when getting rid of ants 😭)
    5. Charming Piano-will be an absolute slugfest to try to get on, but those green guard petals just call to me.
    6. Crazy Fashion-others’ experiences have convinced me! Enablers all!
    7. Garden Delight: my husband mentioned he would like more in the bright orange-like and unique hues. He does most of the cooking, and I like to put the roses he prefers in view of the kitchen window, This might fit the bill. Now to decide on this vs. Augusta Louise, though….or perhaps the Palatine offered Goldflane? Repeat is a key component for me.
    8. I love the peony shape of Happy Piano, but worry about balling. So maybe.
    9. Koko Loko-I’ve tried twice before and they don’t survive my winters. Perhaps on multiflora.
    10. Barock. Do I want Barock? Yes I want Barock. Do I have room for it? No.
    11. Garden Party: seems so lovely, but also perhaps blooms could become washed out?
    12. Do I want to replace Quietness with Eifelzauber??

My goodness. I thought I only wanted a couple! There are a dozen here! I genuinely don’t know how this happens.

• Nippstress Nebraska z5
    16 days ago

We're all shameless enablers but when you have great roses on good grafted stock what's a poor rose grower to do? I forgot to sing the praises of all the Rosematic series. They're all sturdy stand-alone steady bloomers even in part sun. Rachel at Palatine explained Rosematic Red as "Bordeaux that blooms longer and bushier". She had me at Bordeaux since I love that rose. It's a true darkish red and does keep blooming. Rosematic Pink is probably my best of the bunch but I wouldn't give up Rosematic Fuchsia either.

For Rachel, I wouldn't replace Quietness with just about anything. Quietness is one of Buck's best roses and it takes a while to show its true worth. It will just start producing steady reliable pink blooms that blend with everything and it keeps its hands to itself while bushing out. Eifelzauber is like a toddler (very BIG toddler) that can't stop sticking its fingers into everyone else's dishes at the table.

I'm also considering the new Verandas that I haven't seen offered yet, and Blush Veranda is likely to be as reliable and hardy as all of that series.

Cynthia

16 days ago

Rachel -- I've long suspected ants of ruining a few of my fruit trees, but have struggled with how to kill the ants without putting chemicals on my food! What did you do? I get ant colonies under my bags of bark/soil if I leave them down too long. Ugh. And, did you not like Quietness? Based on this forum, I got a Quietness from Heirloom over the summer. It's in a pot for now. None of the roses in my garden ever look like what Diane has in her garden..except maybe Rouge Royale...

16 days ago

Cynthia, I agree about the Rosematic series. I am in love with the fuchia. It looks ike I need the red as well.

• Rachel Ohio-Zone6A
    15 days ago

Cynthia, I was intrigued by the new verandas as well. I only have Cream currently, but it was such an easy-care rose. I’ll need to look into these more. As far as Quietness goes, I don’t know what it is, but she just isn’t wowing me. I have almost no scent, the stems are a bit thin, repeat is slow but not awful, the color is “ok” perhaps she needs more time and more love. The Alnwicks she lives beside aren’t doing the best either, so maybe I need to love that area more.

Deborah, unfortunately we had to resort to chemical sticky gel and traps, a lot of it, too. The first general chemical spray did nothing. It was absolutely out of control. Thankfully this was at the front and the garden is in the back, but I know we have a lot of ants back there as well, as we don’t do systemic lawn treatments like most in the neighborhood, so they all just migrate here or something. Ugh. All of our beds around the house, and half the front yard. It was out of control. We went into it thinking it would be great organic weed control. I have no advice for fruit trees, I’m so sorry!

• rosecanadian
    15 days ago
    last modified: 15 days ago

Rachel - :) :) You've got a lot of great roses on your list! :) :) I think you would love Augusta Luise. Mine (Palatine bareroot this spring) has never been out of bloom once it started. And the fragrance is heavenly...wonderful rose fragrance. :) :)

Berrypie - what a beautiful rose bush!

15 days ago

Looks like I need another Jolie

• Diane Brakefield
    15 days ago

Deborah, the latest scientific report, which came out today, on the world ant population is quite appalling. It is estimated there are 20 quadrillion ants worldwide. Another way of putting it is we have 20,000 trillion ants currently living worldwide. Bring on the anti ant gunk. Diane

• rosecanadian
    15 days ago

Diane - my husband just told me that. :) :)

• BenT (9B Sunset 14)
    15 days ago

Diane,

I helped your campaign, I just squished an ant on my arm. Now there are only 20 quadrillion minus 1.

• Diane Brakefield
    15 days ago

Ben, see the seasonal thread. I have some interesting things to say about consuming seeds. Thank you for ridding the ant population of one ant. Now continue your service to humankind, please. You know what you said above is like higher math--infinity minus one. Diane

• Rachel Ohio-Zone6A
    15 days ago

Well, I will do my duty to rid the earth of this ant scourge, hahha

• rosecanadian
    15 days ago

I have lots of ants in my yard. But I don't mind. They never harm anything and they eat thrips. :)

• Diane Brakefield
    15 days ago

Carol, nevertheless, after the nuclear holocaust, it will be a battle of the survivors, the ants v the cockroaches. I don't have anything against ants, either, and we have plenty. When they do their swarming, it's kind of gross to see them by the millions, boiling up out of the sidewalk and elsewhere. Ants are very intelligent insects with a highly organized social structure. I don't think they've harmed anything around here, either. So I take back my orders, Ben. Diane

15 days ago

Oh no, I am being sucked back in and the list is forming

Jolie Veranda to replace whatever it is that is going by her name and blooming pink .

Orange Veranda ( unless someone grows it and says that I shouldn't. I am easily influenced)

Roberto Alagna.

14 days ago

Thanks, Diane. I heard the ant report on NPR. Yesterday? Or today? I wouldn't mind ants if they stayed out of my house and didn't colonize the roots of my plants, killing the fruit tree (or rose bush or other plant). I think they like the little amended bit in a big gopher wire cage. Plus all plants in pots. So I've lifted the pots off the ground and started spreading coffee grounds, which is supposed to deter them. We've kept them out of the house for several years now. We have a system. But I think this is the time of the year when they're desperate for water and begin marching...

Kristine. I hear you about being sucked back in. I walked around my yard last night and realized that I can't possibly fit any more roses in. I have several in pots that I got from Heirloom that need to be planted...and only a few I want to take out! I guess I could just make peace with having roses in pots, but they are riskier when I'm traveling, as they need more water... But then again, if the deer keep eating everything, maybe I need to give up on roses altogether. Or maybe start a GoFundMe for a new house that has a fenced yard. A BIG fenced yard. Having said all this -- there are 3 roses I NEED to order from Palatine. I have a real problem, me thinks...

14 days ago

Deborah, glad that im not the only one with a problem..

Ants hate mint. You can use mint tea. Thats what I use.

• Diane Brakefield
    14 days ago

Deborah, isn't borax supposed to be a good ant repellent? I think it's easy for us northerners to be all live and let live with ants, but when I lived in California, ants were a major problem in some areas. When I moved into married grad student housing, the first thing I had to do was clear the premises of ants. Next were the cockroaches, which I'd never dealt with, even in other areas of Cal. Not knowing much about those awful things, I quickly learned I'd need to have pros come and fumigate, which I requested from the student housing services. So the guys came in and fumigated, but of course, the whole darn housing complex needed to be fumigated--what a joke. So, I have great sympathy for you, Deborah. You may have that long growing season and little "winter", but you have insects that I don't have to deal with. In fact, the desert is pretty thin on insects compared to other wetter, milder climates. Diane

• Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)
    14 days ago

Diane, you are so right about keeping in perspective the difference in ant issues between different regions. I can relate to you, not having to care about ants causing trouble here, but constantly trying to keep them out of the house in California. I'm sure I'd take a harder stance if they were plaguing my home. Right now I'm battling the endless field mice that come with living near so much agriculture. Ugh. I used to have pity but I don't show much mercy nowadays.

• berrypiez6b
    14 days ago

Klaus Schwab would say don't let a good meal go to waste.

• Diane Brakefield
    14 days ago

Magpie, you need a cat that you can let ouside for a few hours a day while you garden. They are murder on mice and voles. But, of course, our mouser is under supervision and never outside at night. This is in good weather. I know you have a dog, so this might not be possible.. We also don't want our cats to eat what they catch. Not good for the kitty. Diane

• Rachel Ohio-Zone6A
    14 days ago

I am in a mortal struggle with some of my neighbors(said with love, we adore them) whose life’s mission is to rid our neighborhood of skunks. Skunks eat mice. Particularly in winter. This helps keep population in check heading into breeding season. Our local community page is now filled with posts of finding mice/rats. They will not stop killing and trapping the skunks. It’s maddening. There are a couple dens of coyotes on the adjacent golf course and in the OSU cattle fields across the street(we live in a unique spot) but skunks are key as well. You could import some!

• Diane Brakefield
    14 days ago

Rachel, are you addressing Deborah? Because we have plenty of skunks, and coyotes are endemic to this desert area, as well as badgers, cougars, deer, and a moose earlier this summer. It's a zoo out there. Diane

14 days ago

Oh we've got skunks aplenty, plus the coyotes, bobcats, mountain lions, even a bear last summer! Not to mention road runners, fox, rabbits, deer, raccoons, rats, mice, ants, mosquitos, black widows, brown widows...thank God no cockroaches!

I'll have to try the mint tea...do you brew regular tea and then pour it hot or let it cool?

I have used Borax around fruit trees -- supposed to be esp. effective if you mix with sugar. Maybe that attracts the ants? But I bet ants can tel the difference between a grain of sugar and a grain of borax...I think Terra Ant Killer has as main ingredient borax. I use borax in the wash sometimes. It's like vinegar. All purpose!

• rosecanadian
    14 days ago

Diane - I have NEVER (thank heavens) seen ants pouring out by the millions...just about 6 at a time. :) :) That would send me over the edge. LOL That would be quite the battle...social creatures vs. solitary insects that can live without their heads. LOL

Deborah - cinnamon also works (although it's more expensive that other methods) Wow...I had no idea that ants would be so destructive as to kill potted plants. I think a GoFundMe for a new house that has a fenced yard is a great idea...cause I want you to keep growing your beautiful roses. :) :) Have you mentioned which are the 3 that you need? :) I forget easily.

Kristine - I'm easily influenced too. :)

Diane - yes, good point. Ants and insects aren't a problem here.

Berrypie - so insects and mice. :) :) Nope. :)

Rachel - I didn't know that skunks eat mice. Interesting! Most evenings when I have the window open...I smell skunk...so it's doing a good job then. :) Are they worried that the skunks are rabid? Skunks need a place to live and play their part in the ecosystem just as you said.

Diane - as usual, I'm in love with your hills...they're perfection to me. :) I love foothills.

14 days ago

Deborah, mint works well in a couple of forms. You can grow it, peppermint oil around the base of your house. Peppermint oil on cotton balls and dry tea from tea bags. I keep a mint tea bag on my counter top

Ants and mice hate mint

And thanks for tbe dinner idea, meatloaf sounds delicious

• librarian_gardner_8b_pnw
    13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

In case anyone is still unsure about Crazy Fashion....here it is after a couple days in the vase. It's so super fragrant too.

• seasiderooftop
    13 days ago

Oh @librarian_gardner_8b_pnw what fantastic bloom on Crazy Fashion! I'm getting into stripes this year and that one looks really great! Love the bloom form and the strong fragrance!

• rosecanadian
    13 days ago

Librarian - yes, very fragrant! Wowza!! Gorgeous blooms!! The first picture knocked my socks off! :) :)

Seaside - you'll love this one!