SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_726070190

Updating 80s bathroom on a budget

Portia
last year

I got such amazing suggestions for my 1985 kitchen that I wanted to show you all the upstairs bathroom.

Initially I thought I needed to update the kitchen asap, but now I think it’s this bathroom that needs attention first — specifically the vanity.

All three contractors I had in of course wanted to tear out everything.

The tile is good quality (as is everything the previous owners put in) they’re just dated. I’m thinking I just need to embrace the “Under the Tuscan Sun” vibe and just replace the vanity/lighting fixtures?

Comments (61)

• Portia
    Original Author
    last year

Glad so many of you have confidence in my painting skills. 😀 dark blue, huh? Interesting. I had thought maybe a light or medium grey.

Novice question: if I did paint, can you buy just a vanity top to fit an old vanity like this?

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    last year

Please anything but gray.

• Related Discussions

80's bathroom renovation with pics

Q

Comments (9)
    Thanks for the compliments! I should have mentioned that this bathroom is right off the gargage door and the shower hasn't been used in the 3 years we've lived here. I was thinking about putting up a curtain but why make it look smaller? The mirror is one I bought at Bed Bath and Beyond. Cheaper than mirror mate! No, I didn't put a sealer on because the shower is never used and since the tile is up so high, people don't brush against the painted part of the wall. We hired someone to do the tile and I can't remember what tile it is but I will try to find out for all of you who are interested!
    ...See More

help w updating bathroom on budget

Q

Comments (1)
    Hello! Have you checked out West Ninth Vintage fixtures? We create a variety of fixtures that would look great in your bathroom. Take a look at some of our ideabooks for inspiration. Let us know if we could help!
    ...See More

Updating our small bathrooms on a budget

Q

Comments (12)
    What is your budget because that is going to determine what you can achieve. While I am generally in the camp of keeping "retro" bathrooms which are true to the architectural style of a home, in my opinion there is NOTHING worth salvaging in your bathroom. Pardon me for being blunt but you have what appears to be a prefab bath/tub shower - lighting that is identical to the hideous fixture I had in my builder grade 1965 condo when I moved in - a vanity that is not particularly attractive and is basic slab door - again identical to the cheap cabinets I had in my condo :-). If you have the money for it, you could gut it and install a bathroom that is more to your taste while also respecting the architecture of the exterior. I just remodeled my bathrooms and while I opted for a more traditional bathroom inspired by Art Deco, I also admired some very modern bathrooms with walnut slab doors :-). But budget is going to determine the extent of what you can do. From a practical point of view, unless you really have a LOT of money saved, it is probably best to put any major renovations on hold until you have lived in your home for awhile. This will give you a sense of what your priorities are in terms of making your home functional and aesthetic as well as seeing exactly how much it costs each month as home ownership has some economic surprises. There is nothing wrong with your bathroom at the moment - it is clean and looks in good condition and you could jazz it up inexpensively if you have other priorities.
    ...See More

Vanity decisions for budget bathroom update

Q

Comments (15)
    The house was built in 1999. There is a lot of wood throughout the house but the bedrooms and stairs are carpeted. The kitchen has a similar color in the cabinetry with black granite and is in keeping with that Tuscan-inspired vibe. I had originally wanted to redo the kitchen or at least have the cabinetry painted white but the cost just kept creeping up so in that project I am just changing the backsplash to white subway tile, adding a hood exhaust over the oven instead of the existing microwave, and painting the walls. We recently redid the master bedroom and it has a dark blue painted wall (Benjamin Moore Old Navy) and the bottom is wainscotting in Chantilly Lace with a four poster bed and heavy oak furniture (I will post a photo later).
    ...See More
  • RedRyder
    last year

@Portia - no gray. The blue is in your tiles and is a good contrast to the walls. Yes, you can get just a vanity top and sink for that base. What size is it?

• oreet
    last year

Any stone fabricator can cut you a counter to fit your vanity.
    Why would you think grey for your vanity? I don’t see any grey anywhere.
    Dark blue is the colour I’d pick. Gold or stainless pulls will make it pop. Make sure your taps are the same colour as your pulls. Good luck.

• Peggy House
    last year

I would definitely not bother with painting the old vanity -- I tried to do that with mine (similar size and era) and it was so not worth it; I ended up replacing it within a couple of years. Just get a new vanity with a top from one of the box stores mentioned, they actually sometimes have good-quality ones with cultured marble tops, with a matching mirror/cabinet. IMO it gets you the most bang for your buck. If you're really wanting some gray in there, I would go for a vanity in a slightly-grayed natural wood tone, but just slightly. You definitely need to get rid of those light fixtures.

Removing tile is such a pain and it's not that bad as-is. So, get a really good tile cleaner and a grout brush and scrub the heck out of the tile, everywhere, and then reseal the grout (you can definitely DIY that) to keep it clean and crisp looking. I'd personally go for a more cobalt blue on the walls that aren't tiled, and brass or gold-toned or black fixtures, including the knobs or handles on your vanity which you can also easily replace yourself if you have a screwdriver -- and either matching or black light fixture bases and curtain rod. Then keep accessorizing to a minimum -- definitely a new shower curtain, but focus more on good quality and a good texture with a natural look. Get a set with a curtain rod, robe hook, and towel ring that all match and DIY install those (again, either black or match the fixtures in brass/gold), and put a floating wood shelf where the towel rod is over the toilet to just make that tile look more deliberate as a backing.

• NaturalLight
    last year
    last modified: last year

Yes no gray! Use the color scheme that's in the tiles.

And as PPs said, there are many places (varying in price) where you can buy a vanity top. The DIY stores like Home Depot are cheaper, but there are some items where the quality might be too, it depends. You'll be able to tell. I mentioned them only to show how available tops are, not knowing your actual budget, but figuring having just bought a house, every little bit might help since you're doing the kitchen too.

Oh and to clarify, thanks RedRyder for mentioning the handyman.... I said plumber but the implication was meaning the person you get to do it, have him do both while he's there so that your whole bath has them updated. In a previous house, I ran into a problem when a handyman didn't suffice due to an unforeseen complication in what would normally be a simple job of changing the shower fixtures, so needed a plumber.

In some cases (depending on what it is) even putting extra money toward one of the items you buy to be higher end and looking expensive can upscale the whole room's look just by its presence, e. g. you buy a really beautiful vanity top, shower curtain, etc etc. (for your kitchen you buy a really nice looking refrigerator versus one of the cheaper ones, more expensive pendant light, etc.) This will tie in your original cabinets and make them look better just by the presence of the new vanity top (refrigerator=kitchen), for one.

• Jennifer Hogan
    last year

Oh how I hate to say this, but when I got my new countertops for my bathrooms I thought I would do one bathroom, then the next a few months later, but ended up getting both done at one time. They had a minimum charge for the countertop and a minimum charge for installation and the price for doing the two individually was almost twice what it cost to do both at once.

It may be less expensive to replace the counter at the same time you replace the kitchen countertop.

You may also be able to buy a prefabricated countertop for your cabinet as long as your cabinet is a standard size cabinet.

https://www.menards.com/main/bath/bathroom-vanities-tops/vanity-tops/c-8403.htm?queryType=allItems&rid=PDVR1P3Q5a&Spec_NumberofBowls_facet=2

• Portia
    Original Author
    last year

The vanity top is just under 22” deep, and just under 61” wide. The “lip” up against the wall is just under 5”.

As for painting walls blue, there are literally no walls to paint. It’s all tile.

If I sound wildly naive about all this, it’s because I always rented until buying this house last month. (Except for a few years while married, when trying to save a crumbling relationship was more important than renovations. Hopefully, home improvements will be more successful.)

• Portia
    Original Author
    last year

And wow, that painting Facebook group looks fantastic. Now the challenge is making time for all this. One could easily spend all day researching and learning.

• NaturalLight
    last year

For the bathroom, it's just one cabinet versus all the ones in the kitchen, so you could either replace the whole thing or just the top. I don't think I'd bother painting it. In either case youll be updating the pulls and faucet which will help a lot.

• Portia
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you, RedRyder. To round out your picture, here’s the main level bath! Everything else in the house is new, including closets. It’s these three big-ticket items that are driving me nuts.

• NaturalLight
    last year

Another thing I'd do when you get the lights replaced above the mirror is replace the triple light switch that's on the tile along with any other electrical. It will be a good refresh. (Have them clean out the dust that accumulated in the box too--do not try to vacuum it yourself, there are cautions). So often the older ones discolor or just look old. Same things with doorknobs...they can make a door look new again if you are inclined.

• Julie B.
    last year

I'd start by using Grout Renew on the floor. Matching the grout color to the tile color would transform your floor. It's also a whole lot easier than painting cabinets.

• Peggy House
    last year

Yikes well an entirely tiled bathroom is a whole other story in terms of painting walls blue. In that case, again, I'd personally scrub the tile and grout (and changing the grout color, as someone else said, is a great idea), and still invest in a new vanity as the big purchase here, something like this one (I'm not working for a box store or affiliated, I just found this on a quick search): https://www.lowes.com/pd/allen-roth-Presnell-49-in-Navy-Blue-Single-Sink-Bathroom-Vanity-with-Carrara-White-Natural-Marble-Top/1000514725

If you could do with a slightly-smaller vanity (or find something comparable). It's not quite the blue I would go for but it's really pretty and would look great with the tile once cleaned, that one change alone would do a lot to update the look in there. Realistically, if you're paying someone to paint the existing vanity and replacing the top, it could end up costing more than something like the link above.

My bathroom was previously almost all tiled but the tile was atrocious vs yours. I think yours could be made a lot more neutral with a good cleaning. Again, I would focus on the vanity replace, scrub the tile and grout and reseal everything, and replace the lights and fixtures and get an accessories set (towel bar, etc.) that you can install yourself.

• NaturalLight
    last year

^^I like that!

Here are some more if you are a Costco member.

https://www.costco.com/CatalogSearch?dept=All&keyword=Bathroom+vanity

• ci_lantro
    last year

I would replace the counter top & sink(s), going back with only one sink. The sink close to the door is just that...(too) close to the door. Obviously, only the one damaged sink has seen 90% of the use. I'm handy so I would build a drawer for the false front under the omitted sink. Different lighting, new hardware, faucet, towel bar...silver tones.

I like the wood/ color of the vanity so would leave it alone save for new hardware.

I would eliminate the blue. Dig out the accent tiles and replace with different accent tiles. Whatever you like. Maybe stainless steel tiles? Or glass mosaics in your favorite color. What you can find that comes in sizes that will fit and work nicely with the gray mortar. Not tan, not brown and Not Gray.

• marylut
    last year

Hi, Portia, congrats on being a homeowner! If bathroom #1 is a kids bathroom, then do simple cosmetic update to last 7 years. The tile blue/white motif suggests light and airy to me - not Tuscan. You can easily replace the vanity lighting by yourself with 2 up light sconces that don’t hinder medicine cab doors - be absolutely sure to turn off the power at the electric panel. You can easily use wood filler paste by yourself if the bar lights created a rut in the wood. You can easily hand sand the medicine cab and vanity by yourself just enough to scruff it up a bit so the gel sticks, then spread on white gel stain with a sponge brush and leave it on – Don’t wipe it off. You can have an undermount sink and corian or quartzite/granite remnant countertop and 5” backsplash professionally installed. If the sink and tub faucets are in good shape, replace them later when you do the kitchen. Involve your son…he can choose hamper, towels, bath mat, shower curtain, and 18”x18” picture over toilet.

• marylut
    last year

Who is using the tiny bathroom with shower?

• marylut
    last year

Vanity lighting is critical - you need 2 60w bulbs for 1600 lumens or 1 LED bulb at 1200 lumens.

vanity bar lighting won’t interfere with medicine cab doors
    at LampsPlus
    https://www.lampsplus.com/products/george-kovacs-saber-brushed-nickel-2-light-wall-sconce__80216.html

Or Lowes

https://www.lowes.com/pd/allen-roth-Kinsley-3-Light-Nickel-Modern-Contemporary-Vanity-Light/1001065498

• marylut
    last year

For vanity and medicine cab
    white gel stain for classic, timeless look or Klein Blue milk paint to blend with the accent wall tiles

• marylut
    last year

If tiny shower room is not en suite for BR, can you turn it into a roomy powder room…replace vanity with a linen storage unit, and replace shower with a new vanity and mirror?

• Portia
    Original Author
    last year

Busy weekend but will carefully re-read all these suggestions as soon as I can!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year

You might be able to go directly over the wall tile with either new tile or drywall.

You can go over the floor tile with new tile.

Those medicine cabinets have to go.

Keep it simple and sleek

My posters on the app do not like banjo countertops but I like them because in small spaces they link the elements.and that makes for a cohesive solution. i also think big wall to wall mirrors give you the biggest bang for your buck.

You can always install a fixed glass panel and one that is hinged instead of a shower curtain.

Install a medicine cabinet on the wall with the light switches

• kazzh
    last year

Am thinking there is really nothing too bad about this - the wood and tile are both in good condition, the lighting - might be a bit busy - but not too bad. If you have something in a good navy (not just a blue but navy) put it that in the room to see how it changes by drawing in the blue . Then go from there ... a shower curtain that uses navy blue and white, or maybe just navy blue mat with white fluffy towels. Use the blue in the tile with your easily changable elements to create a workable space. No, it might not be "in vogue" but it's not falling apart from cheap renovations. Again, the hardware if changed from buttons to long handles could bring new life and save you from thinking it must all go.

• kazzh
    last year

Ps - you just bought yourself a home. Woo hoo! That's a big step in and of itself.... Don't rush to do things... settle in and enjoy !!

• just_janni
    last year

I suspect the storage in the medicine cab is great - but it feels like it's dominating the room and sucking the life out of it. If you have enough storage - get rid of it and do mirrors over the entire space it had occupied down to the counter, and replace the lighting / cabinet hardware. Add blue rugs, towels and accents and replace the vanity top going to the single sink to increase counter space. Do the grout renew for the floor (you can probably do that yourself, by the way - tedious - but easy)

That FEELS like it would be the most bang for the buck.

• NaturalLight
    last year

I had a bathroom once that had recessed medicine shelves in the wall covered by a mirror that moved. It was cool.

We just went from a house with a medicine cabinet to one with only a hung mirror. What I did was put the medicine cabinet stuff in the new vanity drawer and then got a couple baskets with an organizer insert inside to put anything else that didn't have a home and put them strategically on the linen shelves.

• Laurie
    last year

If you replace the vanity then you need see if the wall tile is up to or behind the vanity. Most likely it’s not behind it which means you’ll need to match the wall footprint. Same for the floor foot print if you plan to keep the floor tile.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year

The narrow recessed medicine cabinets are designed to specifically fit in between studs. They are the very easiest thing to install. Cut the drywall, slide in the cabinet and screw to secure it.

• cathie2029
    last year

Leave it til you can save to do a full reno, why waste money then redo it all later? styles change, you might like a light fixture now then a year or two might not like it and decide to redo the whole bathroom anyway- more landfill items and money wasted. Just let it be. Save your money for a full remodel. I know how it is when you first buy a house, but the bathroom is not that bad- it's all in good shape and functional. Give it a year.

• NaturalLight
    last year

I think although there is wisdom in not spending money twice (by doing something now plus a reno later--and I'm a believer in not spending more than I have to), I do believe that small touches can make a difference to where it feels more 'you' in the meantime. Simple fixes like cabinet hardware will make a difference and you can do it yourself inexpensively. A shower curtain. Maybe the new light. IF going further than that, a vanity top, and new mirror would make even more change, as has been said. Even just the shower curtain and a blue vase on the vanity would tie in the tile better. A little plant or airy one in the vase. Those are small costs compared to a full-out reno, and you can start small. And who knows, you might find it is totally sufficient and enjoy it without the desire to remodel.

I too think it's good to live in it and see how you feel. It's true that we sometimes buy something right away and as we live there, it becomes irrelevant—happened to me. We bought a new house not too long ago and I bought a throw rug right away that looked great but now don't use because the bare floors actually looked better there. But it wasn't a big investment so I figure live and learn. Styles do change, yet I'm not someone to do super trendy, since IMO timeless things can last a long time. My idea of not wanting to do things twice [costwise] would be to buy items that would likely pass the test of time, instead of buying trendy-designed in-style items. Our house was bought with a brand new kitchen with a section that has a trendy tile that looks great now, but I would have chosen something that wouldn't be so obviously outdated later on, so I'm kind of sorry it's there because I don't like to have to spend money for stuff like that. If following the idea of being in style, one would be remodeling every few years, since there will always be new styles coming out.

When I was young, there was a couple who only had a few pieces of furniture in a mostly empty newer ranch house, saying they couldn't quite find what they wanted. However this went on for decades and they never furnished it. They weren't strapped for money. That's a very extreme example, but I feel we don't know how long we will live and I believe in enjoying the time we have. I feel if we only plan for down the road, there might always be something that gets in the way of that, or that it just never gets done. In a previous house, I thought I would live there forever and did some nice improvements quite inexpensively, without doing a full remodel, yet it looked like I did. I got a cabinet maker to make new doors because the originals were ugly, I tiled the floor, got new appliances, etc. I enjoyed it. Years later, I did end up selling it to move elsewhere but enjoyed the improvements while there, and it did increase the selling price. I didn't spend anywhere near a full remodel yet it was night and day. I know many people who had long-term plans to eventually gut and remodel but got complacent and never did. I think that's probably a lot of people, especially if they spent big money to remodel a while back. As they get older now, they might feel they already spent big money on it so they live with it. That's my take on it, anyway.

I'd say assess your finances and think if you want that amount of money going toward an eventual reno. Assess your desires, what you are willing to live with and what you are not, and what small-ish things you can do to to improve the "are not's". For example, if you got a vanity now (or refrigerator for the kitchen thread), you can still use them if you eventually do a full reno, so to me, that's never money wasted. That's money you won't have to spend later. I really don't think your bathroom is objectionable. I think with just a few touches, you will feel totally different about it. IMO of course.

• NaturalLight
    last year

^I will add, your cabinets look to be good quality. You could start with simply buying new hardware pulls which will make an improvement, then see how you feel from there. You can install them yourself, it's easy. They make a big difference in the look. Make sure the metal choice matches the hinges if they are visible on the outside of the doors, as I couldn't tell in the pic.

• RedRyder
    last year

I think @Natural Light gave a fabulous summary of what you can do as a new homeowner now to feel more comfortable. Some of us know you have bathrooms and a kitchen to redo. Spending some money wisely on small things that make you happen will carry you over to the time when you can gut whatever rooms need it. But moving into a house with “very 80’s” bathrooms and kitchen would make me itchy to do something that works for now. Let us know which of these suggestions is the best idea for TODAY.

I would be wanting ideas to “improve” both the kitchen and bathroom right away as well! Luckily you’ve gotten a ton of great bathroom ideas.

• Portia
    Original Author
    last year

I finally got a chance to read and re-read all your amazing comments. NaturalLight, RedRyder, kazzh, marylut, Julia and more — so generous with your wisdom and advice! I now have a plan and outline for kitchen and bath, with fridge and vanity at the top. Those seem like the centerpieces and all flows from there. Love the story of the couple who kept putting off buying furniture. I think what bothers me most is the cracked vanity and loose faucets. Everything else, as most pointed out, is functional and actually good quality — albeit dated.

I do like the idea of a full mirror in place of the cabinets. But I’m not sure how a recessed medicine cabinet would go where the light switches sit.

• drblount10
    last year

With white uppers.

JAS Design-Build: Bathrooms · More Info

Formosa · More Info

Cubes Fabric Shower Curtain · More Info

Extra Long Shower Curtain 72"x78" Sealskin Nautica Stripes Blue and White · More Info

• Portia
    Original Author
    last year

Ok, I’m sold on the dark blue vanity. Just have to see how to replace the medicine cabinet with full mirror without disturbing the tile set up. Maybe directly onto the cabinet boxes once doors are removed. I see in one of your pics I may be able to get mirrored cabinet doors to fit.

• NaturalLight
    last year

Sounds like a good plan!

FWIW one thing about the newer vanities is they are taller. I see you are 5'. I am 5'2" and all my previous residences had shorter vanities like yours. Our new house has the taller one, which looks better. However I found it is harder (translate: sloppier) to wash my face at night because the height makes my arms have to be higher now instead of lower, so the water sometimes runs down my arm and onto the vanity or floor. I have learned that leaning further into the sink is better, plus it has a higher-type faucet that swivels so I can move it more to the side which helps. When you go to a showroom you can imitate using the taller one to get a feel for it. Washing hands is no problem.

This might not be the case for everybody so YMMV, but I thought I'd mention it so that you're not surprised if this happens to you. Also I don't want my comment to deter you from buying, so carry on!! :)

I think you will be very happy with your changes. 👍

• PRO
    lisedv
    last year

As suggested by others, blue would be a nice option to paint the vanity. Looks like you already have brass sink faucets so I presume brass is what you also have for the bathtub. If you vanity faucets are in good condition, keep them., if not, buy new ones. I don't mind a shower curtain if it's plain such as a white waffle one. You can install a brass curtain rod with rings, brass pulls on the cabinet and buy new sconces for above the vanity. You most likely can find quartz remnants (which are much less expensive) in all white or white marble look, and buy 2 undermount sinks.

Portia thanked lisedv
  • RedRyder
    last year

Go for the blue vanity and new shower curtain. Then reassess. Yes, the light fixture issue might expose a wall without tiles, but once you remove it, you will know.

Decision made! Yay!

• TBL from CT
    last year

Portia, I feel your pain. I bought a 70's time warp house and saw potential. Now I see that one thing leads to another, lots of dollar signs, and choices I can't to commit to. I bounce from one room to another, can't commit, and get nowhere. Start with what will make you happiest or where you'll enjoy your investment most. I'm leaning toward my first floor bath, as it's used often and by guests.

In response to your second floor bath, ask yourself how long you think you can live with the tiled walls. Once the tile goes, you're likely looking at a demo with new sheetrock. If I couldn't change that out, I would just change the lights and figure out how to sand that Corian sink. If you pull the counter, it may disrupt the tile and then what? If you DIY painting the cabinet and do a poor job, it will look even worse. If you want to go that route, practice painting a piece of furniture with drawers and doors.

The time/money dilemma is different for each of us, and level of patience for change is a variable, also. I hope you return from time to time to let us know what you choose. Good luck!

• ci_lantro
    last year

The best thing to do is to eliminate the wall tile altogether. Remove it. Repair the drywall. Paint. Remove the gobbledy gook over the medicine cabinet. Replace the lighting. Get a new counter top and sink.

I suspect that is a cultured marble counter & sink, not Corian. The damage likely caused by drain cleaner. No way to repair; replacement is the only option.

• Portia
    Original Author
    last year

Lisedv, I appreciate the visual and saved your pic. Thanks! And yes, I will post the results. May be a while...

• drblount10
    last year

Saw in your kitchen thread that you are new to painting furniture. So am I, still, but got crash course years ago painting mom's wood paneled kitchen plus trim. I have had good luck with: light to medium sand, 2 coats mold killing primer, 2 coats semigloss paint. I use Behr Marquis, but any good quality paint will work. Disclaimer: I am not a pro, and this is not professional grade finish.

A handy . . . person? could also sand and paint, or maybe sand and spray finish depending on your budget.

Before you do anything, make sure doors and hinges can easily be removed.

• marylut
    last year

Portia, you are getting many great tips for changing the family bath! Keep function in mind, too. how much room is needed to store bath and toiletries products off the counter? will new lighting fit, will it provide at least 1200 LED lumens? Before removing vanity base, are base and doors in good condition to last til son is 13? Do you just need new door pulls? Will a neighbor help you paint vanity? Before removing acrylic tub/shower, how much splashing does son do in tub? If on a budget, do cosmetic changes in there and save money for the costly reno of kitchen and tiny bath with shower.

• PRO
    FrameMyMirror
    last year

If you wanted to keep the tile to save money and time, updating the vanity and light fixture would really make a big difference in the space!

• Portia
    Original Author
    last year

Marylut, yes the shorter vanity is nice while my son is growing. Cabinets are good but not as solid as kitchen cabinets. Painting and replacing top might be better option. I’ll look into that. There is a big hall closet with shelves right outside bath, so wouldn’t be bad if I replaced medicine cabinets with a big mirror. That panel behind light fixtures would need painting too.

• marylut
    last year

Isn’t wood panel behind lighting part of the medicine cab frame?

• Portia
    Original Author
    last year

They look to be two separate pieces. And then the wall of cabinets are actually two cabinets. It’s also two vanities with one top.

• drblount10
    last year

Happy New Year! How are you? Any updates?