SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
erol_bal

Window Dilleman

Erol Bal
last year

Bought a home in NJ and need to replace my bow window, 11 double hungs and the glass sliding door. Received multiple quotes (united, simonton etc.)

Narrowing it down to Window World Series 4000 or Sunrise 2100a. The Sunrise was pricier but $1900 more. I am debating on what model to get. Any advice would be helpful.

Comments (31)

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    last year

There are, better choices than WW and in that binary, the Sunrise (assuming it's not based on the Essentials product) is the better product.

Erol Bal thanked Windows on Washington Ltd
  • Erol Bal
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you so much! Just for some additional info, My project quote is

Window World - $17,200 Series 4000

Sunrise (through a local reputable contractor) - $19,100.

United was around $17,400 - (through a local contractor)

Simonton - 17,900 - Home Depot

Thermalast - $19,400

Renewal By Anderson - 26k (The guy stayed at my house for 2 hours, I was getting annoyed and asked him to leave and he kept going and going)

WW has great reviews in my area, but the window review isn't so glamorous.

• William Rossman
    last year
    last modified: last year

Window World offers a low end window and thats why they are so cheap. Many homeowners get sucked in by their low price.

Did you look into Okna Windows? Depending on which part of jersey you are from, they should have a dealer.

Erol Bal thanked William Rossman
  • PRO
    HomeSealed Exteriors, LLC
    last year

Sunrise makes a nice window and Okna is an excellent choice in your area as well. Look up AGM windows and doors and see if by chance you are in their service area. Great company.

Erol Bal thanked HomeSealed Exteriors, LLC
  • Erol Bal
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you, I made an appointment with them tomorrow. I got a quote today with Soft-lite 24k, that was an eye opener to say the least.

The Sunrise windows is the 2100a Omega 12 model and I am leaning towards this but want to hear more about the Okna brand.

• William Rossman
    last year

Since you are located in the northeast, make sure the solar heat gain coefficient( SHGC ) isnt too low. Some salesman wrongly push a low shgc to where condensation could be an issue.

.25 -.30 is a good range for the shgc in your area with double pane glass whereas a U_factor of .27 or lower is optimal.

Are you getting grids ? The advantage Okna Windows seem to have along with their superior efficiency is the overall strength of their windows.

• Erol Bal
    Original Author
    last year

William, thank you again for your insight. I am not getting grids on the double hungs. I am however getting them on the bow. Okna guy is coming later today, so far I am leaning to the Sunrise 2100a unless Okna blows me away on price. The Soft-lite window cost was too high and it was spending 24,500 on windows Id rather spend another 3k and buy direct from Anderson.

• millworkman
    last year

"The Soft-lite window cost was too high and it was spending 24,500 on windows Id rather spend another 3k and buy direct from Anderson."

Softlite is a better performing window than the Andersen by quite a bit.

• oberon476
    last year

William Rossman -- Since you are located in the northeast, make sure the solar heat gain coefficient( SHGC ) isnt too low. Some salesman wrongly push a low shgc to where condensation could be an issue.

.25 -.30 is a good range for the shgc in your area with double pane glass

I am puzzling over your reply a bit. Not sure where a lower SHGC affects condensation resistance.

• Erol Bal
    Original Author
    last year

Just received my quote from Okna and wow its lower than Sunrise 2100a.

Okna 600 Series Eco Pro Deluxe U value - 0.26 and SHGC 0.29 0.2% air leakage

Sunrise S2100a Omega 12 - U value 0.28 SHGC - 0.21 air leakage 0.9 -

From reputable contractors. What would be your best decision? Price isnt totally off. I want quality and longevity.

Thank you again to all of you. Great community here of pro tips. <3

• William Rossman
    last year

In my opinion and probably most window pro’s, both the okna and soft lite are stronger than the sunrise window. The Okna is a great choice and the 600 series is a very solid offering.

The air leakage is a .02 not .2.

• Erol Bal
    Original Author
    last year

Looks like i am going with the okna. I have read solid reviews and the guy here is reputable. thank you again everyone for your insight. i almost went with Window world last week.

• PRO
    last year

It's a slam dunk in that comparison if you ask me.

Erol Bal thanked Windows on Washington Ltd
  • Erol Bal
    Original Author
    last year

Do you all work for okna lol

• millworkman
    last year

Nope, I am in commercial facades, previously sold many residential high end wood, wood clad and aluminum products. Been 95% commercial for the last 15 years. The other pros here for the most part are window dealers and just passing on their experiences with products for their vast experience with windows and doors. All except for oberon, he is our resident glass guru.

• Erol Bal
    Original Author
    last year

You guys are all brilliant! thank you

• PRO
    last year

I don't work for Okna, but it's our best product we deal in.

• PRO
    toddinmn
    last year

Like a Chevy dealer saying I dont’t work for Chevy?

• PRO
    last year

Exactly like that Todd. Solid assessment on this find Sunday morning. Between the tenor of this post and others I have observed on other forums, I am guessing you are suffering from the Saturday night consumption effects?

Thankfully...I don't have "Okna" on my sign or incorporated into my name so unlike you failed analogy, I could switch to whatever product I wanted on a Tuesday.

Any other logical gems for this fine AM?

• PRO
    last year

Back to the last update from the poster and their last question, in that binary comparison, what product would you recommend out of those two?

• Erol Bal
    Original Author
    last year

buying windows was more stressful than buying a house. I almost signed with window world 2 weeks ago but the low price was too good to be true and started research. i really liked the sunrise window lady who came. albeit it was a tad pricier and the reviews were also solid.

okna 600 is a solid match at a great price point and i liked the AGM dealer. So I will go with him. I am not flippping my home, this is my house for the forseeable future and god willing next year I can afford the siding as that will be my future house project.

• PRO
    last year

Honestly...you have a great window and an even better shop in AGM. You lucked out. Be sure to refer AGM to all your friends that need windows so they can avoid the same mistakes.

• Erol Bal
    Original Author
    last year

Just an update for the team on this thread. My windows are getting delivered this week and installtion will be Friday and Saturday. I went with AGM and got the Okno ecopro 600 windows and a bow window replacement and sliding door.

Today is a cold one in my town and my windows are all fogged and wet. I had to wipe off the condensation off my bow window cause a puddle was formed. My windows are old.

I wanted to ask the folks here, when the installation happens, is there anything I should look out for? I just want an easy smooth installation. I also dont want to be annoying, I wont hover over them.

• PRO
    last year

Nice window, great company. Can't have done better on both accounts. Good selections.

• Erol Bal
    Original Author
    last year

thanks, replacing the full home. Excited and nervous, just want it to end seamlessly without issues

• PRO
    HomeSealed Exteriors, LLC
    last year

+1, you are in good hands with that window and dealer.

The only thing I'll mention is that if you have a lot of condensation, you'll want to look into what is causing high humidity in your home. The new windows will be substantially more resistant to condensation, but it can still occur on the most efficient windows when enough moisture is present. Don't be shocked if you still see condensation with the new windows.

• dennisgli
    last year
    • spending 24,500 on windows Id rather spend another 3k and buy direct from Anderson.

Why would you want to go with Renewal by Andersen? To reward the salesman for all the time he spent in your living room pressuring you to buy from him before he'd leave? I actually consider buying Andersen from a 'real' installer more 'direct' than from a Renewal franchise...

Sounds like you made a good choice.

• PRO
    last year

Agreed with HomeSealed above. Be sure to set the humidistat way back before the window go in and only bring it up in increments. The new windows are going to create much tighter openings in the home and as such, you are going to be losing less air (i.e. moisture). You will need a lot less in the home.

• Erol Bal
    Original Author
    last year

Final Post: they came, they saw, they conquered LOL

Thank you all for your recommendations. Okna Windows look fantastic and the AGM team were incredible. It was an exhasuting 2 months of solid research and I am glad I chose the team and a huge thanks again.

• PRO
    last year

I am not surprised by this outcome...but it is still valuable and noteworthy feedback. Thanks for following up. You'd be surprised how quick folks are to criticize, and how slow to compliment.