SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
amy_lepow

Help with decorating my console!!

Amy Lepow
2 months ago

I have this huge console in my great room. I love that it takes up the whole wall but I don’t know how to decorate it. Or what to put above it. Any ideas would be appreciated. Here’s other parts of the room to see as well. Thank you!

Comments (47)

• acm
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

I would try to get one substantial painting or a pair of medium-sized ones. You already have places with lots of little pieces (e.g., the mantel), so I'd keep this area simple. Art is preferable to more personal photos, again for balance. You could put a lamp at one end, and/or a couple of chunky candles. But you don't need to put much of anything on it, as it's a striking piece itself.

• jck910
    2 months ago

^^^^ agree with @acm Art about 3/4 the width of the console

• Related Discussions

Have Fun Decorating My New Hallway Console

Q

Comments (30)
    I really want a mirror in there since the hall is so narrow. That is going to be my hardest problem to solve. FWIW I would be able to see in a mirror over the middle of the table as my belly button comes just above the console (36" H) Any mirror I put in there would have to be short though...... some of them are just way too tall and wide. I took a tape measure and measured 39.5" H from the table top (from in middle of the table) to the bottom of the staircase. Knowing the stairwell infringes on the height and some of the width on the left side I was thinking a 30-32" circle or square shape would fit and still allow me to see myself. But a rectangle or quadrefoil shape (Which cuts off some of the sides) may look better. Any suggestions based on my measurements?
    ...See More

Help me Furnish & Decorate My Living Area &Dining Room of my new home

Q

Comments (26)
    I love the clean, uncluttered look of your home and you've made some great furniture choices. My first thought, though, is that I would try to rework the sofa/sectional placement. It really is unwelcoming looking to me to have the back where it is facing a wall, when it could be oriented to look into the room and out the windows. It seems like if it were placed in the corner under the stairs that it would feel open and invite you to come in and sit. I'd hate to be cooking in the kitchen and have the family or guests with their backs to me. If you are having a TV in another room close by, do you need one in that room, too? If, so placing a 70" unit will probably only work as you have it. But, to me, it's not going to look like a living room but more like a movie theater, which is fine if that's what you're going for. It seems like it won't be a cozy conversation area, though. I might actually flip the rooms and put the dining room where you have the sofa now. I was looking at lights used with dining rooms and ghost chairs and saw this, maybe would work in the living room? Kind of fun. don't know if it would look as good without the colored walls though. And I thought something like these were interesting to consider for over your table:
    ...See More

how should I decorate my new live edge wood console table

Q

Comments (1)
    Something simple and elegant that won't detract from the beauty of the table.
    ...See More

I need help decorating my foyer please

Q

Comments (26)
    I agree with Flo that the location of the console and bench should be switched. Your 3 panel mirror is 66" and will not fit on the wall. Here are some mirrors to consider over the console table. Here are some area rugs from RugsDirect.com to consider for the foyer.
    ...See More
  • tfitz1006
    2 months ago

My sister had a similarly sized console and she framed five map pics depicting places they had lived. Very cool. I think she found the city maps on Etsy. Simple black frames or perhaps pewter to pick up the color in the chairs. I would have very little or nothing on the console itself. I also think I'd move the floral piece by our fireplace and cut down on the items on the mantel.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 months ago

IMO take all the stuff off the mantel and do a mantel thta is a nice wood that white one does not suit the FP and then the new console can handle a bit of decor on it and one large painting above it or if budget is tight then oreder some art from Art.com BTW I do not like family pics in public spaces and please no fake flowers. I aslo do not think you need the side table swith the 4 chairs since they are all reachable to the coffee table . A bit console overload but now just keep the big one simple but I do think you need more lighting in all the spaces

• Amy Lepow
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Thanks for your comments. I don’t know how to reply to each of you. Sorry. I do have a couple of questions. Artwork above the console or the fireplace? Or both? I do have high hat lights in the room but maybe a tall floor light? Or two lamps on the console? Someone mentioned one lamp. Wouldn’t it have to be 2 for balance? If I take all the family photos off the mantle, where could I display them? Thanks!!

• er612
    2 months ago

You have a lot of pics in the room. I would display them in a gallery wall above the console.

The wood framed ones below are meant to be the ones on the wall behind your sectional.

Have you considered darkening the accent walls? I think it would especially work on the fireplace wall.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    2 months ago

I hope you're keeping the FP. The buffet is the perfect location for the TV or art.

• Andrew Smiths
    2 months ago

I think it is perfect for a large tall plant and a large painting/wall art to the side of the plant. Do you know any online interior design apps/soft you could use to play with different options yourself?

• la_la Girl
    2 months ago

Great suggestions so far - i think fewer but larger scale items would look nice. googling ”decorating long console” will show some great ways to approach ”fewer & bigger”

• Amy Lepow
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I don’t really have much color in the room besides black, brown, gold, cream, wood. Should I bring in a specific color for large, substantial pieces? Does it matter? Can I mix colors? Or should most be colors of room?

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    2 months ago

I like mirrors - they bring sparkle and depth into a room.

Maybe something like this, turned sideways?

• ffpalms
    2 months ago

I really like this rendering from er612. The wall looks wonderful painted dark blue.

• Kim H
    2 months ago

You've done a great job so far and have some nice pieces. Do you want to bring more color in or would you rather keep it neutral? I think you could go either way.

Here's one that is mostly neutral with just a bit of light blue added

Or you could add some more colors and then add that in other places in the room

I grabbed these images from Great Big Canvas. They have an area where you can look by color.

I know you have the ceiling lights but it would be so much cozier if you added lighting near the seating areas. 2 big lamps on the console and I'd also add a floor lamp to the area with the sectional.

• Amy Lepow
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I’d really like to use this photograph I took in Italy. I just can’t find anyplace that would make it big enough and I’m not sure how big it should even be.

• ginatay124
    2 months ago

Love the idea of using your own photography and a cherished vacation memory to personalize your decor. Look for a professional photo printing lab and go as large as you possibly can - 5 or 6 feet wide (would work above the long console with a lamp on either side like the mock-up above). Then you could pull accent colors from the photo to finish the room decor.

• PRO
    Attitudedéco Caroline Carlier
    2 months ago

Bonjour,

Il ne s'agit pas d'une console mais d'un buffet en enfilade. Vous devez jouer avec les formes et les objets et ne pas vous limiter à trois petits encadrements. Pensez à un vase, une statue, voire une belle lampe si vous aves une prise électrique derrrière le buffet.

• ffpalms
    2 months ago

It’s a gorgeous photo! Here’s a rough mock up - definitely needs a better frame! Because of the vertical orientation, I think an off center layout would probably work better.

This art , because it’s vertical, would look better on the wall where you currently have the TV. Are you happy as it is, or would you consider placing it over the console?

• Amy Lepow
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I’d really like to use this photograph I took in Italy. I just can’t find anyplace that would make it big enough and I’m not sure how big it should even be.
    I was thinking over the fireplace, especially since it’s vertical. No????

• Amy Lepow
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Attitudedeco Caroline Carlier can you please translate???

• Kim H
    2 months ago

That's a great photo to use. You can get large prints printed from photos from Costco or Fedex Office. I would try to get the art to be about as big as the 2 middle sections, especially if you put lamps on each side. If you can't get that piece printed that big you could add a couple more pieces to it to make a grouping. I would keep it pretty simple though, but think about mixing up the kind of art you have so it's not all photos.

• ffpalms
    2 months ago

I think your photograph should be over the fireplace, and the TV on the console. :)

• Kim H
    2 months ago

Over the fireplace would look great too! You want it to be about as wide as the fire box. See how much space the mirror takes up in this image by @er612, that's about how big you would want the photo. Use painters tape to mark out the size over the fireplace and then measure to see how big to print the photo.

• Amy Lepow
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I have another photo o like. Just not sure as much as this one.

• Lynzy
    2 months ago

OP, @Attitudeco Caroline Carlier is saying, in translation, that the piece is technically a buffet, not a console and that you can play with lots of different ways to decorate it, not just limit yourself to the three tiny frames items you have now. She suggests visualizing vases, figures (statuettes) and/or lamps provided you have electrical outlets behind the piece. ;-)

• Amy Lepow
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Lynzy, thanks for the translation!

• Lynzy
    2 months ago

@ Amy Lepow, you’re welcome! High school/college French finally comes in handy! LOL

• er612
    2 months ago

Sorry. I missed your follow up posts. Here's a review of photo printing sites: https://www.wired.com/story/best-photo-printing-services/

Your first pic is stunning and deserves a place of prominence.

• everdebz
    2 months ago

On purpose - pair 2 together in asymmetry? with a lamp, vibe you like for style and/or color.

Portland Apartment · More Info

• everdebz
    2 months ago

space age appeal, this mid-century inspired glass and steel table lamp features a cool patterned hardback shade paired with a glass finial orb. Tapered steel base and Silver Metallic shade of Styrene / 20" W / 38 H

Aneira Mist | Elegant Statement Making Glass and Metal Body Traditional Table · More Info

27" Metal & Glass Table Lamp, Antique Copper & Mercury Glass Finish · More Info

• Fiona P
    2 months ago

Some great advice on here, those lamps are amazing. Might I suggest a large striking plant, perhaps a canna, especially if you have a mirror above it. I feel some form of greenery needs to be introduced into the room

• everdebz
    2 months ago

Another idea-example - is it like the art's vibe and/or color?

Aqua Starfish Demeter Table Lamp from OK Lighting · More Info

Diamond Solid Color Hand Blown Art Glass Vase, Gift Box, Turquoise · More Info

Torre and Tagus Mini Lustre Vases Asst, 3-Piece Set, Turquoise · More Info

• everdebz
    2 months ago

2 lamps in the set,
    Homesquare
    W 14",/ H 28"

Carro Home Magnolia 14" 1-light Glass Table Lamp in Blue/White (Set of 2) · More Info

Carro Home Tulip 14" 1-light Glass Table Lamp in Dark Green/White (Set of 2) · More Info

• everdebz
    2 months ago

If your art is framed in natural more plain frame, maybe candle or items could have gold finish.

Set of 3 Gold Mango Wood Traditional Candle Holder 14431 · More Info

Vivian Glass Cotton Shade Table Lamp, 28" · More Info

• KW
    2 months ago

@Amy Lepow Your Italy photo is perfect for over FP. You could use it as a cue to choose art for console. I do agree a floor lamp in couch area & at least one lamp on the console would go far in makkng a welcoming vibe. I don't agree with moving TV to that great console. You have the perfect size console under the TV & it seems pretty obvious to me that the couch is TV watching seating & those great chairs in front of fireplace are for conversation! I do agree the small side tables between the chairs not needed & crowd that area. Also agree the vase & plant should be moved. Fake flowers don’t bother me - maybe that floor vase could be at far end of console as you enter that area & place lamp on end closest to fireplace. As for your family photos - do you have a hallway wall where you could create a gallery wall?

• everdebz
    2 months ago

D 16" / H 33" / with 3-way bulb switch for 113.

nuLOOM 33" Metal Funnel Vase Linen Shade Metal Gold Table Lamp · More Info

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 months ago

Amy- I like this photo best and would size on side wall to right of fireplace. A drop down screen over fireplace could work for TV projection if desired in this room. I would frame art with black floating frame with touch of gold on front edge. Now for your accent console, I would find dimensional art in horizontal configuration to emphasize the length of your gorgeous piece. A pair of Alabaster base tall lamps on each side and a long golden bowl. Keep accessories very simple since this might act as buffet surface keeping accessories simple will work well. Such a beautiful piece. While I love your art and the depth the one I selected, a horizontal piece over it will be gorgeous! Here I’d mock up for you.

• Amy Lepow
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Flo Mangan, thanks! To everyone! You like the Italy photo with the plant in it instead of the more colorful one I originally posted??

• KW
    2 months ago

@Amy Lepow My vote, if you use only one of pics, is for the more colorful one with longer view of coast line. The other one is pretty & a different perspective but the focus is on the architectural white piece in the bottom corner. Not as interesting IMO. And, another suggestion made for how to have a TV in this sitting area. Will you ever want a TV in this side of room?

• Amy Lepow
    Original Author
    2 months ago

KW thanks. That’s what I was thinking abt the picture. No tv on this side of the room-ever.

• Cynthia
    2 months ago

A lot of great ideas here from other Houzzers....and I agree you need to add some height. But mostly I just came here to say your dog is adorable! :-)

• Amy Lepow
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Cynthia thanks! 🐶

• KW
    2 months ago

I saw that little curly haired pup on back of couch but s/he’s such a great color match to your scheme I thought maybe a toy.😉

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 months ago

Amy- I am just getting a better idea of your whole space. My perspective was a bit off. So over fireplace I like the photo taken from a balcony with that plant and architectural detail. Then I would add Italian artifacts on mantel. A sculpture and a pediment from Roman column (faux for cost purposes). Just to keep travel theme going. I also like it because it shows more depth. Not as flat. I like tall alabaster base lamp, again to emphasize theme. 😊

• KW
    2 months ago

@Flo Mangan That’s a pretty great idea for the fireplace. Maybe the other picture could have a place over the console?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 months ago

Thanks KW. For over console I think a interesting gallery of travel photos (maybe 3) plus some architectural pictures for a wide grouping and two lamps would be lovely. Another oversized picture would take away from focal point larger art over fireplace. You could do picture shelfs and display your photographs and be able to change them from time to time. There are other hanging systems that would be cool over that console too. With your talent, I think I would want more flexibility rather than a fixed display but your choice.

• KW
    2 months ago

@Amy Lepow Flo is talking to you! But I do like her idea for choice of photo over fireplace even though I agreed with you that picture wise I like the other photo better. Flo’s tie in using pieces on mantel with the architectural piece in photo is pretty eye catching. I also like her idea of the gallery wall over console using display shelves so you could easily change out photos on display. That gallery wall adds a bit of ”texture” to the two adjoining rooms without cluttering things up IMO.