SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dieseler

Cravens Craving

dieseler
last year

Heavy rains over several days along with bad timing of this fig it split.

Hoping to get first taste of this cultivar as there are a few on plant that should ripen.

Comments (11)

• dieseler
    Original Author
    last year

Hi i can understand what they mean by that. Had to deal with some yellow jackets swarming the plants this morning with a garden hose i could not find any nearby nest though,

Over the years had to deal with them here and there some years worse some years hardly any.

In several weeks they will be nearly gone in our area as nightly temps starting getting rather cool for them.

Martin

• dieseler
    Original Author
    last year

Have not watered since the heavy rains which was at least 5 days back and another cravens that started to ripen did the same as pictured .

Oh well tree is young and still hope to get a first taste of this cultivar.

The potting mix is HP = High Porosity Pro -Mix used in the containers.which drains very well.

Martin

• Embothrium
    last year

It wants you to throw it a fish

• bluemoonlight
    last year

That's to bad Martin, I was also hoping for some new varieties but I wasn't successful with all.

I must wait next season for Ponte Tresa, and a few others, Ponte Tresa dropped figs once they reach quarter size.

Q is that all that you using as a putting mix ?

You don't add pine bark chips or anything else ?

I have tried diferent mixes, like 50/50 cow manure and Pro mix PH at root pruning and potting which really didn't need fertilizer, figs tasted just like the other that was fertilized, same time ripening too.

I am really trying to succeed growing fig trees in ground, containers are getting heavy, and will be much heavieri n 5 years 😲

My husband can't help, as he is very slowly recovering from stroke.

I do have some fig trees permanently attachedt to a caddy, they are 19, 25, 32 gallon garbage containers, I have a way to transport those.

I either succeed at growing in ground or make caddy forgat last 8 more, but which one to to keep and which one get rid of, don't even want to think about 😞

• dieseler
    Original Author
    last year

Anna first i like to say i'm sorry to hear about your husband and hope he feels better with time.

I do add some bark to mix here and there.

Anna as we age it does get harder to maintain the fig tree's thus now being very picky and still downsizing as i taste the figs .

I truly wish the best for you and your husband.

Martin

• dieseler
    Original Author
    last year

Had to pick and discard another cravens fig that badly split .

Here are 2 more now that are going through ripening process.

Martin

• dieseler
    Original Author
    last year

Picked the cravens fig from above picture with the crack in it.

The plants were brought into garage last couple of days as night temps were in the mid 40s and barely hit 70 for highs as of late with much the same for next 5 days.

Horrible timing for the figs darn it.

At least the black ischia was not affected as its skin was nice and soft.

Anyways when cut open and weighed 38 grams, i bit into it and the skin it was tough i mean really tough and could not consume the skin at all but ate the pulp and it had how i say a floral berry taste not strong but it definitely was there and very good.

There is a lot of flavor on skin alone i learned long ago but sadly due to weather the skin was too tough.

My bet from what i read the skin on cravens is soft and hence much flavor was lost eaten just the pulp of the fig.

As the saying goes wait till next year as i'm thinking the best of this cultivar is yet to come with a decent spring .

Best

Martin

• dieseler
    Original Author
    last year

Had a cravens fig today fig skin was too tough to consume but otherwise a good fig.

Cut the fig in half to take picture but laughing i ate it not thinking

Martin

• Bluemoonlight
    last year

I bet it was good, I love seeing honey dripping from fig 🌞

Anna

• dieseler
    Original Author
    last year

It was good and hoping next seasons spring is more favorable so they can ripen a tad bit earlier to get a better gauge on some of these newer never tasted figs.

One plant that is a definite keeper and did not seem so affected as others by the colder weather is Ischia Black a ucd version .

It looks pretty good as the season marched on this year with its fmv and the figs tasted very good on palate .

There was a branch that sprouted from main that was bent and hooked into potting mix and eventually was cut potted and grew its very small but looks great.

Now later that side branch kept growing .

Posted pictures in Ischia thread

Best

Martin

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz