SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rhonda_hurwitz

How to light an Art Studio: Track lighting or ?

Rhonda Hurwitz
last year
last modified: last year

We are building an art studio above my garage. When finished, the room will be approximately 20' x 20', with a high vaulted ceiling. The main part of the room will have an easel for painting, tables for related tasks like framing, and shelf storage for canvases and supplies. There will also be seating in one corner of the room plus a desk.

We need help designing the lighting for this space. During the day, several windows and skylights will provide ample natural light. At night, however, supplemental light is needed.

Task lighting should work well for the area by the desk and seating (desk lamp, standing lamp plus a few wall sconces). But how to light the main 20' x 20' work space and shelf storage?

The contractor advises against recessed lights in the ceiling, which will have blown-in insulation between the sheet rock and the roof. Track lighting could work, but not sure how to position it.

If I put the track around the perimeter of the room, 3-4' off the walls, will the middle of the room be sufficiently lit? Or, should I pull the tracks 5-6' of the walls, and simply direct the lights to provide task lighting over work surfaces? Should I mount the tracks on the sloped ceiling, or suspend the tracks from cables? How high off the floor should the bottom of the track fixtures be? Is any other general down-lighting needed in the room?

A few final notes: 1) the pitch of the ceiling on either side of the center ridge beam is asymmetrical -- it follows the pitch of the roof which slope at a sharper angle towards the front of the house than the back of the house. 2) The vaulted ceiling will be open -- no cross tie beams or other ceiling details are planned. 3) We'd also like to put a ceiling fan in the center of the space.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments (4)