SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
skidoodle

Toilet in windowless water closet?

skidoodle
last year

My master bath will have a water closet - the toilet is in its own little room. It will be 3 1/2 ×6ft. The large bathroom will have a window but the watercloset will be windowless. Will regret this area being windowless? I am afraid of it feeling literally like a tiny closet. We can not add a window. So should i take down the wall and let the toilet be included in the bathroom?

Comments (88)

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    last year

Let's see the layout of the bathroom and the spaces that surround it.

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    last year

"A small windowless smelly room is not an elucidation of pleasant."

There is no reason for a toilet compartment to be smelly provided it's equipped with a properly-sized exhaust fan. When you consider that the volume of a toilet compartment is much less than the volume of an entire bathroom, the same size vent fan will dilute the concentration of odors in a toilet compartment much more rapidly than for a toilet that's not enclosed.

In my experience, the addition of a toilet compartment makes concurrent use of the master bathroom more pleasant.

• Related Discussions

Wall cabinet above toilet in water closet/toilet room

Q

Comments (9)
    I've always loved this one...and yes it is pricey! Google it and you can find it elsewhere for a little bit cheaper. As I recall, there was some sight that had it in white, black and this distressed color. I never bought it cause I've not had the right bathroom for it. The one I did buy came from Lowe's and it matches the vanity I bought there. It was substantially cheaper then the one I linked, but I've just always loved this one. I will try to find a link to the one I bought.....I'm not sure it's on line. HTH, pup Here is a link that might be useful: Cottage valet
    ...See More

Help me decide if I have enough room for water closet in new bathroom?

Q

Comments (7)
    If your grid is accurate and you are 1 sq = 1 ft, then you don't have enough room between the newly expanded shower and the wall for the enclosed w/c. Your diagram shows 1 ft. Also the pocket door won't fit as shown. Consider a wall between the toilet and the vanity without the rest of the enclosure if you are seeking privacy there. See how this wall between the vanity and the toilet serves to hide the toilet a little bit on these two pics below? This is a different layout, but similar concept for the dividing wall. In your space consider only having the wall right next to the vanity and not going over to the other side of the room. A wall to the ceiling would conceal the toilet area and not close in the room IMO.
    ...See More

window in water(toilet) closet

Q

Comments (10)
    Depends on what's on the other side of the window. Since this is tagged as remodelling, are you trying to decide whether to add a window that doesn't exist? Or remove a window that's already there? I don't think there's enough pros or cons to warrant the cost of adding or removing a window. Just make do with what's there. Or is this something that is being built from scratch?
    ...See More

Water Closet Master Bath

Q

Comments (23)
    WARNING: Posting your entire floor plan opens you up to facts you may not want to know, but should. Be prepared for suggestions that will make for a better design. Keep a thick skin, open mind, sense of humor, and a glass of wine within arms reach. You may not enjoy it, but everyone else will and you will be better off in the long run if you heed well the advice.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    last year
    last modified: last year

Many people are so satisfied with "good" that it gets in the way of "better".

• Jilly
    last year

Better is subjective in this case.

• stiley
    last year

We recently went through this thought process for a remodel. We ultimately decided that symmetry on the outside trumped having a window in the WC (our WC pre-remodel actually had a small window). The bathroom is plenty bright, and most of the time, the pocket door is slighty open. And even when it's not, we don't feel squeezed into a closet. Ours is 3x6 and it's plenty big. The fan works really well. Separate closets, two sinks, and a door on the WC -- makes living with someone easier!

• Jilly
    last year

Lovely bathroom, Stiley! Love your light fixtures.

What is the cabinet color?

I think a pocket door is so perfect for a WC.

• Ally De
    last year

I understand (and agree) with wanting privacy for the toilet in a master bath.

I also understand (and agree) with the need for a window. I crave natural light, and when I had my 2nd home built for me I required at least one operable window in every room - even the half bath.

The challenge with this question is that we're talking aesthetics intermingled with strong personal preference. So no one on the internet can answer this question for you. It's going to come down to what you personally value/need in a space - so who cares what some random person on the internet says? :)

In case my personal opinion helps you somehow, I've seen windowless toilet enclosures which I hated, and some others which were fine. Not ideal (for me, because of my window obsession, LOL) - but ok.

I have seen other applications where I really thought they should have explored a pony wall instead. I've seen some toilet enclosures which felt totally crammed into a space which does not support them. A reasonably tall/long pony wall gives at least the illusion of some privacy, and does hide the toilet.

• stiley
    last year

@Jilly thank you! The cabinet color is FB Mouses Back, color matched to BM paint.

• M B
    last year

My last 3 homes had a water closet with no window. I never thought twice about it. In fact, it didn’t even occur to me to add one in our new build.

It’s 100% fine.

• chicagoans
    last year

Just one more opinion: I like a bit of separation but not necessarily a full enclosure, especially if it's dark. If you post a layout of the room, you might get some really good ideas. In my last house, we had just a wall separating the toilet area, and there was a linen cabinet on that wall (facing the rest of the bathroom.) Very handy if you have the space.

I recently stayed at a hotel with a separate toilet room in the bathroom, and the door was a full glass frosted door so it wasn't dark. That was nice as a guest, not sure for the cleaning crew. (It also had glass sinks lit from below, which I really liked for some reason. An expensive night light for sure, gotta love Four Seasons LOL.)

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    last year

No to a toilet room. We never used the master bath at the same time for any reason. I do not even want double sinks! Both are a waste of money.

• chicagoans
    last year

Jinx's comment about a pony wall reminded me of pictures from this old post. Someone who used to post here frequently built a high pony wall with storage for TP etc, to separate the toilet from vanity area. Might give others a visual for an alternative to a fully enclosed room.

• Anne Duke
    last year

Sounds like mine. I actually prefer this to an open area. One thing to do if you keep it is to make sure the door swings into the main part of the bathroom rather than into the toilet room.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

IMO toilets are part of a bathroom and no one should be usingit while someone else is in the bathroom so why have walls. If you like this idea the do what they do in Europe and this as a separate space with its own entry off the hall with a toilet and sink that makes perfect .sense

• Helen
    last year

I don't have a toilet "room" but I am not understanding why a toilet room would be inherently more smelly than a bathroom. Many bathrooms aren't large airy spaces and they depend on fans for air circulation. Why would smells dissipate more quickly in a slightly larger space.

I really have no skin in this game - I don't have a separate room nor do I have a horror of seeing a toilet. My toilets are about as attractive as possible and not particular eyesores - skirted one piece units which were selected for their style.

My toilet in the masterbath is nestled in a "nook" that is created between the wall and the large shower and the wall of the shower is tiled on both sides. However I don't think having a door in front of the toilet would make me less receptive to having someone else in the bathroom while I was on the toilet or vice versa. I would hope that someone would use another bathroom if they were desperate. 🤷🏼‍♀️🤫

As for smells in general my experience is that my Toto toilet with washlet seems to eliminate the problem completely. It has some kind of built in deodorizing system

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    last year

Good is subjective too, and better is better, even if it is not tried.

I think everyone will agree life is uncertain. Try getting a wheel chair in the tiny room with a toilet in it and transfer onto it.

• Jilly
    last year

These threads are hilarious.

Let’s do “Shoes on or off in house?” tomorrow.

I don’t know about the rest of you, but I’m getting the impression Mark doesn’t like toilet rooms. Maybe I’m imagining it.

• David Cary
    last year

Ok, toilets aren't part of my primary bedroom spa. It isn't a bathroom. It is a spa. Now I have a WC that I will call the bathroom. Does that help?

Primary bathrooms are designer spaces (in modern higher end and even middle end construction.) Nothing as ugly as a toilet should be visible in a designer space - right?

Pony walls look relatively silly IMO. And they don't look right in my spa. A crystal chandelier - yep. But definitely not a toilet or a pony wall....

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    last year

I want a spa to be outdoors or in a sunroom with plants, lots of plants. I want a shower, tub, and toilet inside, with NO windows, to use by myself, to s-s-s.

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    last year

"I think everyone will agree life is uncertain. Try getting a wheel chair in the tiny room with a toilet in it and transfer onto it."

A toilet compartment won't meet everyone's needs. I've never seen one in a home that would be considered accessible. Where accessibility is a design objective, a toilet compartment would be omitted or the dimensions of the space increased as needed to meet accessibility design criteria.

• nickel_kg
    last year

3 1/2 by 6 isn't too bad. But I'd much rather have two complete, small bathrooms off the master than one large but shared bathroom.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    last year

The most successful closet with a toilet in it would also have a sink(s), shower, and windows in it.

• Jilly
    last year

And TV and bar.

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    last year

Mark, I have two of the toilet closets with the sink and shower. One has a tub with shower. Neither have windows. I don't care for windows in a toilet closet.

• shead
    last year

Mine is that exact size and has no window. It's fine. I don't spend a lot of time in there, though, like many of those that have strong opinions do. For me, it's one less window to have to clean and not having one allowed me to have a cabinet over our toilet for toilet paper, etc.

• Keen B
    last year

@Charles Ross Homes When I wrecked my bike, I was in a wheelchair for 5 months, relegated to the main floor. Getting into our downstairs powder room was certainly a comedy, where the chair was half blocked at the doorway. I had to roll it in at an angle, then slide onto another small chair, then slide to you-know-where. Try that with one arm in a sling, and both legs incapacitated. In our new build, the codes require doorways on at least one downstairs water closet/bathroom to have a doorway wide enough for a chair's entry. But you know, If I were still disabled, I'd be able to get the chair in the room, but not turn it toward the toilet, so what's the point? That's why true ADA restrooms are so spacious...I'm sure no one wants a water closet that big.

@Mark Bischak, Architect I'm with you, windows make every room better (except maybe fancy movie rooms.)

• Caroline Hamilton
    last year

Our master bath is large, and we have a separate room for our toilet. It's perfect for us. We are usually getting ready at the same time, so it gives us privacy. I also find it unsightly for a toilet to be out in the open. Ideally, I would want separate his and her bathrooms.... next house.

• worthy
    last year

separate his and her bathrooms

And bedrooms. Better yet, his and her houses!

In the meantime, make do

• dan1888
    last year

Add a skylight.

• chispa
    last year

At the risk of elevating Mark's blood pressure ... the house we rented while building had TWO toilet closets in the master bathroom! One with a window and one without! The people who built it must have hated having to share a toilet with their spouse. I will admit that it was nice never having to worry about the position of the toilet seat, as it stayed exactly where I left it, for a whole year! lol

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    last year

"TWO toilet closets in the master bathroom!"

It makes me wonder how long the marriage lasted, OR perhaps that is one of the reasons the marriage has lasted so long.

• drsaj
    last year

@worthy, or "make do...do" Sorry, couldn't help myself.

• Helen
    last year

@chispa My toilet washlet lowers both the lid and seat automatically after the person leaves.

The lip opens automatically by default but there is also an option to lift the seat as well.

However for the purpose of never having to deal with a toilet seat that has been left open, the seat and lid will close automatically as the default setting.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    last year

HAHAHA @Jilly! I'll bet the OP didn't realize he/she was stirring up a classic Houzz hornet's nest!

• vinmarks
    last year

Here we go again with the water closet stuff. If you don't like having a water closet then don't have one. If you like it then put one in.

As far as good vs better. To me having a water closet is better. Not having one is not good. I've lived with it both ways. I have a window in my toilet room. I have never looked out the window while on the toilet. How much time are people spending on the toilet?

The reasons against toilet rooms that some people bring up are completely ridiculous. Why would a toilet out in the open in the bathroom be less smelly than a toilet room? At least with a toilet room the smell is confined to the toilet room and not the whole bathroom. The only valid reason for not having one is if someone is in a wheel chair.

We have had toilet rooms in most of the houses we have lived in except in the rental house we lived in while building our current house. Hated every minute without a toilet room. Also hated the closet being off the bedroom and not the bathroom.

Never had issues with toilet seats being left up. Been married almost 31 years.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    last year

A window in the tiny space would at least give natural light and the illusion of natural ventilation.

Still waiting for the previously requested layout.

• Jilly
    last year

If no window, 4000 LEDs will make the colors more true.

Or so I’ve heard.

• dan1888
    last year

I have a wall wash led can highlighting a small painting. It's too small for anywhere else.

• Ally De
    last year

Jinx, I almost spit out my morning coffee. 😆

I love you woman. Please never change.

• chispa
    last year

@Helen, I'm well acquainted with washlets having lived in Japan for 3 years! Pictures on the keypad become really important when you can't read the words! ;-)

• Tara
    last year

Never had a house with a separate room for the toilet inside the bathroom. But I have been to other people's houses that do. I don't like them because they are generally way too small for me. No enough space to, um, maneuver. But I also think that most toilets are an afterthought anyway, positioning them slap dab up against the wall and an oversized vanity where there are literally only 3 inches on either side. Try using that if you happen to be an oversized adult woman with NOT skinny thighs. I don't think I'd have a problem with a separate WC if it was of sufficient size. The OP's proposed size, however, would bother me---3 x 6 feet. At least widen it to 5 feet and put the toilet right in the middle so there's enough room on each side. No window wouldn't bother me....some bathrooms don't have windows anyway.

• vinmarks
    last year

@CeeWhy I hope you had 4000K light bulbs.

• Janelle
    last year

I have a water closet. We are remodeling the bathroom and practcally gutting it. I will have a water closet in the new bathroom as well. What is the point of a master bathroom if you don’t intend to sometimes be using it at the same time as your spouse? I thought that was the whole point of making it larger than other bathrooms, with double sinks, etc. My water closet does have a small window, but we keep the blinds closed and it‘s fine.

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    last year

Because it is in your bedroom near the closets. I will never use any part of it at the same time as my husband, so we never wanted two sinks. I also will never have one of those huge bathrooms that you cannot keep warmer than the rest of the house. I had rather have a larger bedroom.

• BoomerSooner
    last year

We have a windowless water closet in our master and have zero issues with it. It doesn't feel closed off at all. We have another half bath without a window and another half bath with a window. The one with a window is stranger because you people can look in and see you standing even if it's on the second floor.

• Ally De
    last year

CeeWhy - that was awesome.

(You forgot the decorative beams on the vaulted ceiling.... LOL!)

• shead
    last year

@CeeWhy and @vinmarks, y'all are my kind of people....lol.

@Ally De, you stole the exact comment I was about to make about the decorative beams :)

I'm definitely Team Water Closet, Team Vaulted Ceilings, Team Walk-In Pantry, Team Faux Beams (when done well) and Team Closet through the Bathroom....cheers to my teammates :)

• Marie J.
    last year

No shower niche, @CeeWhy?

• bpath
    last year

I see many bathroom plans now with two separate vanities, a tub, a shower, maybe a vanity bench, and sometimes plenty of floor space. And I wonder, why not two bathrooms?

My parents designed their second home to have two bathrooms, each with a door to a common hall with their respective walk-in closets directly across the hall. Mom’s side had a nice tub with shower (so passé these days), Dad’s had a shower. The two baths are connected by a section with the linen cabinet and drawers. It was perfect when they were still going out to events, and later when they were much, much, older, they had their own space. But Mom couldn’t step into the tub anymore, so she used Dad’s shower.

I’m starting to think that the next thing in bathrooms will be two toilet rooms.