SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lilykate7a

The building of my daylily garden beds

lilykate7a
last year
last modified: last year

A documentary (LOL)

About 20 years ago I was inspired to build my first lasagna flower bed after reading about them in a gardening magazine. I think I stopped building mine at 15 inches rather than the recommended 18-24 inches. After it cooked through the fall and winter I planted in it in the spring. I never built another as it was too labor intensive and I was too impatient to wait for them to be ready.

Through the years I have used newspaper and cardboard under my mulch. I loved Julia's pictures of her long bed of daylilies and other flowers when she lived in New York. I planned 2 large beds with similar goals. I modified my lasagna methods and here is what I did.

October, 2019–I used the garden tractor to till the soil, very poor soil. I should have amended it but did not. Then I planted new daylilies and 2 shrub roses in it. I put newspaper, junk mail and even old books that had gotten wet in my garage around my plants.

And then I put cardboard around them.

And then I put pine needles and leaves on top of that

And I had this much left for spring, 2020

I covered the leftover bed with more cardboard and leaves until spring. I planted this area spring 2020

I put down the cardboard and leaves in fall and again in spring as needed. And here is the entire bed, spring 2022-amazing growth on these plants in two years

Do I advocate this for anyone else? I do not! I am only showing what worked for me. This would not be feasible for many. I am slowly trying to reclaim older beds from grass and weeds using this method but it is more time consuming.

These beds have been great for me-very little weeding required. The only problem has been the rapid growth of the daylilies!

I have begun putting down my fall cardboard. It is not needed over the entire garden but some areas needed replenishing. Here is part of what I did today. Did I mention how much earthworms love cardboard?!!! :)

Comments (12)