SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bill_mn_z3b

Hydrangea from bush to tree form.

I started a thread on this plant a long time ago and can't find it.

There's been some discussions about pruning up a standard hydrangea shrub into a tree form.

This plant was already on the property when I arrived here 10 years ago and was moved a few years later. Back then I posted in the 'name that plant form' and unsure if we ever got the name pinned down.

Last season, I pruned all the branches off, leaving only the trunk and it grew numerous branches from there this spring (excuse the deer protection, the deer already got a few buds munched).

July 3, 2022:

The blooms came out kind of spotty with dry conditions. It rained hard August 12 but looked pretty good considering.

August 13, 2022:

We got hard rain after that, and it did still 'droop' but is better than everything laying flat on the ground (I broke a few blooms off shaking rain so it's a little sparser than it could've been).

Sept.4, 2022:

The trunk is still pretty thin for all that top weight so I stake it to keep it straight.

So I'll keep working at it and see if I can get it a little taller over the years. :-)

Oh, and if anyone can tell me the name of this ~30 yo hydrangea, here's pics of leaves and blooms.

9-8-2022:

Some late buds coming.

More leaves & stem:

Comments (44)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    last year

second pic.. near dead brown dormant lawn... except for little circles of green grass lawn around each beloved plant...

it cracked me up ...

the beauty of it.. for those who dont let the grass go dormant.. is you dont have to mow it while its dormant .. go figure on that ...

i see in the next pic.. come sept.. the grass is back from dormancy ... sharpen the blades.. its time to mow ...

ken

BillMN-z-2-3-4 thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    last year

I'm always 2 weeks away from a drought and I have to buy my water. Water's not that expensive but that's a lot of grass out there.

One thing a lot of people don't realize is, sandy ground is one of the best medias for growing things. As long as the plants can get the water, and the necessary nutrients are available.

• Related Discussions

Burning Bush - prune side branches to a produce a tree-like form?

Q

Comments (1)
    One potential problem is that the evergreen things you plant to fill in the gap may not do well under the shade of your burning tree. If the bush is not in a good location, why not remove it and replace it with what you want. Euonymus alatus is not generally considered a prized species and is invasive in many areas.
    ...See More

do you get more figs from bush or tree form?

Q

Comments (4)
    Ive been battling with this question for a yr now. All the experienced folk here say definitely bush style for this area (zone6) but I want a full fledged tree in the worst way. The consensus seems to be bush for a number of reasons but the largest one being ease of winterizing.
    ...See More

Tree Form Hydrangeas in Containers

Q

Comments (5)
    No stones! Or gravel or pot shards or anything else at the bottom of the pot. Contrary to common belief, adding stones or gravel at the bottom of a container does not improve drainage - it actually slows it (complicated reasons involving a perched water table). Just fill the entire container with a good quality, highly textured potting soil. Most commercial bagged potting soils are too finely textured for longterm container culture - they don't hold up very long and 'collapse', reducing aeration and hindering good drainage - but you can improve on them by adding bark fines and pumice or granite grit. Or visit the CG forum and look at the recipes for the "gritty mix", which is intended for woodies in containers. I'd also recommend adding a slow release fert into the soil before planting as well. In about 3 years you wil need to root prune and repot your hydrangea with fresh soil.
    ...See More

Training hydrangea into a tree form

Q

Comments (3)
    Your sign in information doesn't indicate what kind of zone you are growing in but No, you don't want to bring it inside. Hygrandeas don't respond well to being indoors Although the hydrangea 'tree' can be pruned any time except summer, the ideal time to prune is in early spring so planting and getting it established may be all you want to do with it right now. Look through the shrub until you find the dominant or strongest stem, tie it to a stake and pinch one inch from the tip. The removal of the tip of the stem will encourage it to produce additional branches. Leave three or four shoots evenly spaced at the upper one-fourth of the tree, removing everything below them. Repeat the process each spring before the hydrangea produces new growth. Here is an older thread on the subject of training to a tree (or standard, as the tree shape is called) where gardengal describes the process very well... Here is a link that might be useful: Training hydrangea paniculata
    ...See More
  • djacob Z6a SE WI
    last year

Bill, your hydrangea looks like Like a Limelight Hydrangea. Here’s photos of a bloom and leaves. While LL Hydrangea at maturity may have abloom that is fuller on the base of the bloom some form more round. My tree is 10-15 years old, it was bigger than yours when I bought it, it has taekn years to get where it is. You can see the entire tree on my post called ”My Hydrangea Tree” above in the hydrangea forum.

debra

Here’s a pic of the bloom:

The leaves

BillMN-z-2-3-4 thanked djacob Z6a SE WI
  • BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    last year

I've always suspected mine was Limelight. They came out in the 80's, from what I understand. The former occupants were here during the time period after that and lived here ~20-30 years.

It was a good-sized plant when we bought the place, but the builders had cut the single trunked plant flush with the ground after the house was destroyed in 2010. I suppose to get it out of their way to build the new one.

After living here, several years, I quit mowing it off with the lawn mower :-) and transplanted it to the back yard (it had been only a foot out from the east side of the house originally).

I've only been playing with pruning it since last year so didn't expect too much in the way of progress but progress it is. Your original tree thread inspired me to do that. Thanks! :-)

I staked a few of the higher branches and I'll choose one to be the main trunk next season and maybe ascend another foot or so.

DW says she really liked it compared to what it used to look like.

Here it is today 10-1-2022: The white flowers turn pink late are a little past peak and browning a bit.

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    last year
    last modified: last year

Definitely a Limelight Bill. My blooms are browning also! Many people say to cut back hydrangeas in the spring, but in zones with snow fall I recommend trimming in fall. If not, the weight of a heavy wet snow on the blooms can break branches.

debra

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    last year

That makes sense. The blooms are soon to get trimmed off.

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    last year

I am in zone 5b and am pruning already. We can get a freeze by the 15th and I am not so fond of colder weather……. :-)

debra

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    last year

'I am not so fond of colder weather'

Me neither. A couple of sunshades and some watering and I'm done for the season. :-)

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    last year

Does your Limelight get Fall colors when the leaves turn too?

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    last year

Yes the leaves turn, but I have trimmed mine completely back! lololol

debra

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    last year

This is what mine will look like all winter.

I always like to leave anything that will act as a 'snow fence' to cause snow to settle, during winter. :-)

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    last year

Oh, and now that I've gotten a positive identification from a hydrangea expert. ;-)

I finally got the plant tag made for my 'Limelight'.

(Someone would have to come with up with concrete information before I'll change this one). haha!

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    last year

Oops!

Guess I forgot to do the pruning altogether. Oh well...It all gets snipped back to the trunk this spring anyways. :-)

• luis_pr
    last year

If you get a lot of snow or lake effect snow, consider deadheading early.

BillMN-z-2-3-4 thanked luis_pr
  • pennlake
    last year

We've had a lot of heavy wet snow in the last few weeks and the only hydrangea to break was Darts Little Dot which looks like Quickfire. My unpruned Berry White and Limelight, the flower heads just snapped off, but the structure is fine.

BillMN-z-2-3-4 thanked pennlake
  • BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    last year

My only paniculata is the one pictured above so I can't make any comparisons.

It looks like I wouldn't have had to worry about catching snow this winter. If it stopped snowing now, for the rest of the winter, it would be fine with me! :-)

• a1an
    last year

Kewel Experiment Bill. I did same/similar. Dug a LL out. Cut all the stems flush and left one...

Mainly as growers/nurserys only offer grafted and instead of branching at one head height, I wanted *2 levels* of branching.

Things I learned and I am starting all over again. Start the leader only if the cane is the head height you want. Mine was a bit short but I was thinking since I did not lop the tip off, it would continue to grow vert *which it didn't*.

BillMN-z-2-3-4 thanked a1an
  • BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    last year

I noticed that too. This plant is not predisposed to a central leader.

My plant popped up again after some thawing days and sunshine, but the most upright stem is growing ~4" below the very top of the main stem.

I have a feeling this is going to be a multi-year project. :^)

I saw one somewhere with a trunk about 5ft. tall. The blooms still drooped but being they sprouted up so high on the trunk, it looked very nice with dozens of blooms hanging that high above the ground.

• a1an
    last year

it get's better with age as the new stems grow out thick and strong. They do end up lopping after a summer soaked rain soaked blossom head. Rain aside, strong stems don't flop as much

The top part of that main stem in ur pic - just cut it right. Nothing going to grow much out of it. All the energy is going the side shoots. At what height is your head starting, It looks awefully low in pic #1.

• a1an
    last year

Bill. Have you seen the LimeLight Primes. I'm growing one out just to see......it was toughted as stronger stems. Smaller than LL in spec. I saw Prime 2 seasons ago and it was immediately noticable. The stems were red, but the noticable difference was even in a 3G or 2G pot (aka, still a young one), each stem was quite ridgid vert

I'm growing one out now to see how vert it remains on a rain soaked head

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    last year

I believe there are 'Tree Form' hydrangeas for sale on the market. I think they are cultivars with thicker stems and don't droop like the bush forms do.

I started this one from an existing shrub that was here when I bought the place.

I mowed it off the first few years because it was shooting from the root base where they had cut it level to the ground to make room when rebuilding the house.

So, it's just a 'Free' shrub I decided to play around with, only a couple/three feet tall since I moved it to the back yard about 3 years ago.

• luis_pr
    last year

Oh, yes, the tree form paniculatas can also droop and “very well” too, based on the pictures posted here in the past. I have seen Vanilla Strawberry and Limelights Tree drooping a lot.

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    last year

That's good to know luis,

My NDN just planted a Vanilla Strawberry tree last fall. I was getting a little envious. Now I think I'll just wait and see. :-)

• luis_pr
    last year

Flopping occurs late in the season. If you think can live with some flopping at the end of summer or in fall, on years when inclement weather promotes this issue, get one and enjoy. Or get Pinky Winky in tree form. PW flops very little as its blooms are not huge.

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    8 months ago

8-10-2023:

Fwiw: I thought I'd post a pic of my H. paniculata this season.

Still gets long branches that are destined to flop but has gained height and trunk girth.

The dry season has slowed down and reduced blooming.

I'll just let it go and not expect too much. Even if it flops, its higher off the ground than it was originally. Maybe in about 5 years I'll have it where I want it. ;-)

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    8 months ago

8-23-2023:

With Hilory only giving us a cloudy morning and a few misty sprinkles in the air it has been as I suspected, the dry season and my inattentive watering practices, left the blooming asynchronous. I got full blooms and blooms that are just starting to expand.

But it's all growth to give me another season of shaping the plant.

;-)

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    7 months ago

9-14-2023:

Well, the smaller blooms kept most of the branches from drooping too much and the ones that did droop were higher off the ground than before. This was after 1/2" of rain.

Probably all I can hope for with this, but it was a free plant so nbd. ;-)

• a1an
    7 months ago

Hey Bill - I thought this might have been asked and skimmed the thread with no luck

How high is the main trunk before it starts branching. Looks awefully short but pics can be misleadng

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    7 months ago

It is rather short.

I left some of the side branches along the trunk to grow, in hopes the plant would increase it's girth. The top of the trunk is still too skinny to support much, so I'm trying to be patient.

The tube around the trunk is ~16-18" and top of the trunk is more like 36" so I'm working on it.

• a1an
    7 months ago

FWIW, most of the nurseries around here have the trunk at 32-36 so it's not beyond the norm...

I'm started to grow my own standards to replace existing ones - by establishing the right stem length before I start the head .....these short lollipops I've planted are coming out one day. Shooting to start them at least another foot more

However, it does take a good solid 4 years before it roots it to the point where one can remove the stake on some of these heavy floppers, I have one that while looks straight once in full bloom , once dormant with leaves off, the trunk is at a 70% angle as all the blooms in it's 1st intial growing years stretched towards the sun (and I had 3 stakes on it as such to keep it vert the entire season)

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    7 months ago
    last modified: 7 months ago

Most of the sprouts wanted to push out of the side of the trunk. I did pinch some lower ones off.

The very top of the trunk was still quite narrow and a bit shorter than I wanted, so I tied up a branch from last year to a stake to make the trunk taller, but that one is still very thin.

A multi year project for sure.

I'll post up once the leaves fall so you can see it and tell me the best avenue to go. :-)

• a1an
    7 months ago

I looked at you picture again - it looks really short . For clarity, when you said 36, is that where the start of the branching begings or are you saying it's 3 feet tall from soil to current branching height.

My 32-34" reference is where its the top of the main stem and where branching starts

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Yes, mine is 36" to where I hope branching will begin.

I got a few new branches to start at the top this season, but most new branches wanted to start and grow the best from out the sides of the trunk, lower down, below the very top of the trunk.

I just figured I'd have to let them grow but then next year I'll maybe force the new branches to come higher up, if that's possible.

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Just to add: The pink flower in the middle of the first picture, will be the new trunk.

If you look close, you can see the stake tied to it to keep it up straight.

I think I have a stake further down too on the trunk so it wouldn't bend that with all the weight.

eta: In the second picture, you can see that pink flower stem is bent over at the top but that's well above the 36" trunk height.

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    7 months ago

a1an,

This picture will give you a better idea of the height of things.

I don't have a picture from last spring when I pruned up some old branches.

The tube is only 12" high.

The 22" height is from a couple of years ago, when I decided to try this. I bent up the closest branch from the 22" mark an that's now the trunk between 22" and 32"..

It's still fairly slim but starting to get some girth.

Last spring, I bent up another at the 32" point after adding another stake.

So, I think it's just a matter of time (I think) as these increase in girth.

Flower turns pink as they age. ;-)

• a1an
    7 months ago

OK. I see what you're saying....I suppose you could cut every single branch except the one that you have that is the -new branch- that will be your leader ontop of the existing stem. Looks a bit wonky though...

And a spiteful wind can blow it hard enough that it may snap at the 22" mark...

Not trying to dissuade you , but this time of the year, maybe now, maybe in a month from now or any day when the *ad goes up*, trees/shrubs etc are generally on sale as the nurseries don't want to hold them going into next years Season.

If you have your heart set on a treeform, maybe just buy one now. I was at the nursery today. Lots of standard, nice thick grown trunk with some decent branching on it.

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Yes, you're right.

And I really should've started this back in 2017 when this plant only had slender shoots coming out of the ground, then by now the whole trunk would be fairly thick. all the way up with a little taper.

Buying a new plant would be quick and easy but I always enjoy putzing around out in the yard. Hoping to end up with something unique that I've created myself. Or not. :-)

One thing about this plant, if all else fails, I can coppice it and it will turn back into a 'bush type' plant with multiple shoots splaying out in every direction. It was that way when I started.

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    7 months ago

Bill the color on your flower is amazing! I have gotten pinkish and mauve late season, but never that lovely deep pink. Mine is suffering this summer, between heat and heavy rain, it looks like this. I will have to do in a different post (houzz).

debra

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    7 months ago

Well, ther’s always next year!

debra

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Thanks!

We had it very dry this season but I didn't water it very much until I thought it was about to begin putting out bloom buds. I can't affirm if that was the reason for nice color or not.

I really don't do anything special with any of my plants where soil nutrients are concerned so it's anybody's guess. Oh, I did add a little Al₂(SO₄)₃ to my blue hydrangea for the first time this year.

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    7 months ago

pennlake said: 'I was frustrated with my limelight flopping. I stopped pruning and the flopping stopped.'

I know it's been a while since this was posted in the thread, but it occurred to me that once I get the height where I want, the plant can/will put out many more sprouts, as it likes, the sprouts may come out shorter just because there are so numerous. Thus, shorter stalks = less drooping.

Hmmmm. :-)

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

10-10-2023:

Had some hard rains the last few weeks and although the blooms drooped, the never touched they ground. All buds finally bloomed albeit some were very small and all were smaller than could be.

Next season, we're going higher. :-)

Hard frost last night so season is over.

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    5 months ago

11-18-2023:

The season stayed mild enough I got around to pruning the branches on my H. paniculata tree experiment.

Rabbit protection is necessary and if the snow gets too deep, they can only access the upper branches so nbd.

Overall height is 40" but the top 8" is new growth from last season and maybe subject to clipping. ;-)

Removed all branches below 20" and the left what stubs showing in the picture.

It'll be a judgment call next season with pruning albeit shaping another year or two may be in it's future. ;-)