SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pamperedpeeps6aneoh

What about toxic plants?

Kindness Matters (NE Ohio 6a)
last year
last modified: last year

What's the deal with toxic annuals/perennials? Some are described as highly toxic, yet their seeds are widely available for sale. For example, larkspurs. Reading about the toxicity warnings, I can't help but wonder why it isn't eliminated from all gardens.
I'm talking out loud here, so bear with me as I share this story. Another local gardener and I have been working on making our gardens as deer and rabbit ''resistant'' as possible. Apparently, I sometimes forget that the reason for such ''resistance'' is toxicity, and so I've let a few slip in such as daffodils, hardy mums, clematis, and primroses (as well as peonies, if they truly are toxic too). The other gardener, however, has several others that she happily grows since she's never had any issues with them when it comes to people or pets (probably no experience with kids). Anyway, I've long admired some of these plants from her garden. The first were the foxgloves, which she offered to share seeds of, but I declined since I was aware of their toxicity. Next were larkspurs, lupines, and pom pom poppies, which I happily accepted, forgetting to read up on them first. Well, after doing so, I'm most frightened by larkspurs; next, lupines; and lastly, the poppies. The warnings on larkspurs go as far as death. The story with lupines seems to be more along birth defects in animals who graze on them. And the poppies I'm confused on...some sites state that all except two types of poppies are toxic, naming pom pom poppies as one of those two, while other sites name them as something else...and yet others call them opium poppies, which some say are illegal to grow.
What are your thoughts? Would you grow any of these in your front yard which is easily accessible to kids and pets? Which annuals or perennials would you definitely not grow? This year I've felt dizzy at least twice after pulling weeds bare handed, and I'm not sure if any plants could cause dizziness through skin exposure. I'm more concerned about kids eating any part of these plants though since there are lots of kids running around the neighborhood plus little relatives coming to visit too, and you never know who might live here after us or whose yard dispersed seeds might end up in.

Comments (29)

Sponsored
More Discussions