SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
mwj_90

Frigidaire Electric Range

MWJ '90
21 days ago

Just purchased a basic Frigidaire Electric Range Model# FCRE3052AS for our townhouse. This will be replacing a 17 year old Coil styled GE Electric Range. What are your thoughts on Frigidaire (Electrolux) ranges?

Comments (52)

• MWJ '90
    Original Author
    21 days ago

Thank you so much for your reply. I'm so excited about this purchase. I've been wanting to replace our stove since we've moved in back in late 2019. It's supposed to be delivered one week from today.

I was forced to replace our fridge when it went out in January 2020 and replaced it with a Whirlpool (February 2020). I wanted to get a Whirlpool stove but the one I was looking for that was in our price range was out of stock so I went with the Frigidaire instead. We're not planning to stay here long but we do a lot of cooking so I'm praying this model is reliable.

• awm03
    21 days ago
    last modified: 20 days ago

I had a radiant cooktop for 18 years. It wasn't so bad, really. I liked it far better than coils: it was a flat, stable surface, had good temperature range, easier to clean. Yes, my new induction cooktop is a big improvement. But there isn't anything that I make on induction that I couldn't make on radiant. You learn to work with the tools you have.

My radiant cooktop was always clean. Clean the bottoms of your pots & pans, wipe the cooktop surface, do it every time. Not so tough. My SIL has a 20 year old Jenn Air down draft radiant cooktop. It still looks new. She's an excellent cook, enjoys quality cookware to indulge her cooking passion, and has no interest in induction or gas. She's long familiar with her equipment & uses them very well, so why switch.

Enjoy your pretty new range, MWJ90!

• Related Discussions

Smooth top Electric Range- Frigidaire Pro?

Q

Comments (4)
    deborah, my Frigidaire Pro Series was just delivered yesterday. Before purchasing, I did a google search of reviews for the model # and there was one (busymom's or something) that several women had excellent reviews on the Pros. In fact, I was unable to find out anything negative about them. Frigidaires in the past were going downhill but it was my understanding that Electrolux is now making the Frigidaires.Things appear to have improved. When you register your product on line, you are at the Electrolux Corp. registration. There is another recent topic on here where the poster states she hasn't bought a range in 23 yrs.....well, she ended up with the Pro Series as well. If I ever find that link again, I would be glad to post.
    ...See More

Frigidaire electric oven temperature

Q

Comments (1)
    I would guess that the temperature sensing element is bad. I guess that as it gets hot and cold all the time (stress), where the circuit board it better protected and would less likely work at low temperatures and not higher ones. It looks like the temperature sensor is about $40 and they show "control boards" for about $100 (but I don't know what control they are). Post on the forums or email one of the online parts houses, such as appliancepartspros.com or repairclinic.com, and they may be able to better guide you as to what parts to try. Without a circuit diagram, it's hard to suggest exactly where to start. (I haven't purchased parts online, but I have found those two sites good resources.) Here is a link that might be useful: Parts and pictures
    ...See More

Frigidaire Electric Range

Q

Comments (2)
    got it three weeks ago. three and six do not work on touch pad. waiting for a new pad. also i feel it is hard to regulate the burners without dialers
    ...See More

Elec. range - Frigidaire or Electrolux or maybe a Kenmore?

Q

Comments (1)
    Check the model # of the Sears model. It may be a Frigidaire or a GE. You should get good service from any of those. I always thought GE made very good stoves. Worst one I have seen was actually a Whirlpool. It would just start a self clean cycle and the only way to stop it was to throw the breaker. Then the tech would replace the board(s). Went on for 2 years and WP finally replace whole oven. It was one with the micro built above it in the wall--one unit--but that has been 15 years ago now.
    ...See More
  • dan1888
    21 days ago
    last modified: 21 days ago

Wow. Excellent opportunity to make the change before it's delivered. Go into an appliance store and test a radiant top stove. Try an induction cooktop also. You'll need a pan with a magnetic bottom. Stainless and cast iron. Aluminum won't work. Once you try induction, you'll be a happy cook. Ikea has an Electrolux induction freestanding range. 5-year warranty. TVÄRSÄKER Range with induction cooktop, Stainless steel - IKEA Cancel the radiant stove from last century.

Because you don't have your range yet, there's not one single person on these boards who would advise you to get a radiant stove instead of induction. Not one.

• MWJ '90
    Original Author
    20 days ago

With all due respect, unfortunately at the moment we don't have the funds for an induction stove. We are on a strict budget and was looking for something no more than $750. Plus we aren't planning to be on our current place long term. So a traditional radiant range is a sensible upgrade for our current situation.

• awm03
    20 days ago

I would certainly advise someone to buy a radiant range. Especially if they cant afford an induction range. Remember, these are tough economic times for many, many people, though we may not often encounter it here in our three oven, 48 inch, Miele/Wolf/Blue Star bubble. Radiant is less repair prone than induction, too -- another easy on the budget factor.

• MWJ '90
    Original Author
    20 days ago

awm03 what stove do you currently have if you don't mind me asking?

• SEA SEA
    20 days ago

Hi MWJ,

Congrats on your new range. I'm no expert on electric cooktops but my daughter has an apt with one similar to yours, but a Whirlpool with 4 burners. She really likes it. She's quite the chef and she has no complaints. She makes a mean steak in cast iron on it as well as many other chef level meals. Perhaps your new cooktop is similar enough to the Whirlpool that you'll be pleased.

I am used to a gas cooktop, so when I visited for a couple of weeks this year it took me a few tries to get it right. But I cooked many meals on her radiant cooktop and once I figured out the temp to dial ratio, meals were cooked nicely. I do agree that the temp control is a bit slow to respond to increase/decrease when adjusting burner temp.

Clean up was easy. She said she sprays household cleaner on the surface when done cooking and it wipes up nicely. I did that while there and cleaning it was much easier to clean than my gas stove.

Enjoy!

• dan1888
    20 days ago

I can offer several cost-effective options if your current range isn't working. Habitat For Humanity and Facebook Marketplace are two places to look for a working unit. I'd do that and continue saving for induction. No need to spend $750 on a radiant. It's like buying a black and white tv.

Here's a Frigidaire radiant stove in my area for $225. Frigidaire electric stove Black - Ranges & Ovens - Livonia, Michigan | Facebook Marketplace | Facebook In fact, there are tons of perfectly functional electric ranges on Facebook. Coil and radiant. People are redoing their kitchens with no intention of using those appliances. $100-250 gets you many to choose from.

• awm03
    20 days ago

I bought a Wolf 30 in. induction cooktop last year. I was hesitant to spend so much, but wanted to try induction & Wolf had good reliability reviews and a two year warranty. Now, if it lasts 18 years like my old Jennair radiant cooktop, I'll be very surprised & very happy. But at my age, if *I* last 18 years, I'll be even more surprised and more happy!

• MWJ '90
    Original Author
    20 days ago

Hi SEA SEA! As always it's good hearing from you. Thank you for the response. I actually grew up with a Gas range. That's what my mom uses exclusively. It wasn't until I moved into my apartment back in 2013 where I started cooking on an electric stove. The one in my apartment was an Amana Radiant top and I loved it. Unfortunately when I got married and we moved into our townhouse it already had the Coil top. This was my first (AND LAST) coil top stove. So I'm really happy to go back to the radiant top.

• MWJ '90
    Original Author
    20 days ago

The townhouse that we're in doesn't have a gas line so electric is our only option here. However, if our next home has a gas line I certainly wouldn't mind going back to a gas range. I do miss cooking on my mom's stove lol.

• SEA SEA
    20 days ago

I hear you on the coil burners! Back in the stone age I had one in an apt for 3 years. I don't think I was able to cook a good meal on that thing in all that time. I did burn my hands on burners that seemed to be off though! You'll be glad to go back to what you like. I had a lol about AND LAST. Nice counters though!! Next home you'll get the stuff that is beyond right now appliances. Dd says hers is plenty good for 'right now', and I agree with her. She makes amazing foods on and in her range.

MWJ '90 thanked SEA SEA
  • awm03
    20 days ago

Coil burners were all I ever knew growing up. Both my mother & grandmothers had them, my early adulthood apartments had them, my first house too. Then in 1988, I got a cooktop with the solid cast iron disc burners -- they seemed so exotic. I was glad to be rid of the wobbly, rattling coils, but boy, talk about slow temperature response, those discs were sluggish! I cooked on those for 8 years, then moved to a house with (sigh) a coil cooktop. After 7 years, we remodeled the kitchen. My Jennair radiant cooktop was such a nice upgrade from all that I'd used before. It actually had good temp settings: a decent low for simmering, a powerful high temp, & distinct medium high/medium/medium low temps. The last thing I cooked on it was Karpatka, a Polish dessert made of choux pastry filled with thick vanilla custard. A nice send off, I think.

Anybody else ever had these?

• dan1888
    20 days ago

Living in the past. Always melancholy. But some things are improvements over the past. Most things are. Except refrigerators.

• awm03
    19 days ago

TVet, so interesting you liked coils over radiant! Makes me think of my husband who detests gas grills -- charcoal forever for him.

• HU-379772723
    19 days ago

Hi MWJ '90. I applaud you for staying on budget regardless of what you budget currently is. A few thoughts come to mind given my own experience cooking on all 3 available cooking types (Electric, Electric Induction, and Gas). You did not mention if there was anything wrong with your current range and so you may have any number of reasons for wanting to upgrade. Although I agree with most of the observations listed in the replies here thus far, here is a bullet list of thoughts on your question:

FIRST, THE GOOD PART:

• RELIABILITY: I would, in general, not worry as all electric ranges (Coil and Smooth Top Radiant) are quite reliable in just about every brand since the technology has not changed all that much in decades. Just because they are lower in cost than Induction and professional ranges in general does not mean your range won't give reliable service
    • EASE OF COOKING: Yes, its true that smooth top radiant (non-induction) ranges take longer to heat up and cool down. In the past when I purchased a home that had one, I was able to adapt my cooking to the awkward heat control. It took a while but you should adapt just fine.
    • HOME RESALE: If you are not planning on staying put for very long (depends on your own definition), you still want something that cooks well for you while in the house.

THE NOT SO GOOD: I actually think most all the limitations of a smooth radiant stove can be overcome and not be the end of the world. BUT......

CLEANING: The only appliance I have ever actually detested was my smooth top radiant. Not because of reliability (never had any problems with it). Not because it did not cook well. It baked and simmered just fine (once I learned to use the slow heat up time of the cooktop portion). I admire those who have found cleaning these types of ranges simple. Smooth Tops were invented to IN THEORY, make cleaning easier. This is because Coil Tops are, in essense, the electric version of an Open Burner. Just like the few open burner gas ranges left on the market, with coils, as you know, you take the burners and bowls apart to clean them. Sadly, when anything other than water spills on the glass, it BONDS to it with a strength that is hard to fathom. It is even worse for how I cook since we simmer, saute, and fry in skillets which makes for lots of splatter. I don't know if you have ever seen the opening scenes in the original "Karate Kid" movie, but if you have, you have an idea of what cleaning one of these CAN be like. I've never worked so hard to keep an appliance clean; much less in showroom condition. I also learned that using any Aluminum or Copper bottomed cookware is a recipe for disaster since some of those soft metals will rub off onto the glass and once fused by heat, are VERY hard to remove even with a razor blade.

OPTIONS:

• Within your budget range, you a number of options. You could keep your current coil top. (FYI, coil tops have better heatup/cooldown times than do the radiant smoothtops. Not as fast as gas but faster than the one you have ordered. If parts are available, your coil top could last longer than you had hoped, LOL.
    • You could opt for a gas range but you did not mention if you have gas service.
    • You could go through with the purchase of the new range you showed and keep it until time that you sell your home. But that is kind of a pain and takes up room
    • You could hold off purchasing a new range until your house goes on the market at some point and market it as seller has "New Range never used".
    • Or purchase the Frigidaire and use it in place of your old range. Just know that keeping it clean is most often a challenge. Its not the droplets of water you get from boiling a pot of water. Its the spatters of food, oils, sauces etc that will demand LOTS of elbow grease.

Good luck with whatever you decide. Each of my grandmothers and my mother cooked on electric coil tops for most of their lives and I did too when I was younger and renting. In each case, great meals were prepared and enjoyed. There was no suffering or misery. (Except when I had to clean a smoothtop, LOL )

• Toronto Veterinarian
    19 days ago

"TVet, so interesting you liked coils over radiant! Makes me think of my husband who detests gas grills -- charcoal forever for him."

I don't think they cook any better, but they're at least easier to clean and repair. Both have good lows and highs, but no middle temps, in my opinion.

• MWJ '90
    Original Author
    17 days ago

@HU-379772723 thank you for the detailed explanation of the variety of cooktop options. I'm not sure if you have seen any of my previous comments regarding why I went with a Radiant top as opposed to a Gas range, but our current townhouse doesn't have a gas line so electric is my only option here. Again, I'm not opposed to a Gas range by any means. As I said before I grew up with a Gas range and I really miss cooking on my mother's stove. So if our next house has a gas line, I will certainly go with a gas stove I have no issues with that whatsoever.

There are several reasons I'm getting rid of the Coil top:

1. Back around the summer of 2020 the power element (bottom right coil in the picture) died entirely and has since been useless. Also for about a year and a half or so, the bottom left element has been underperforming and doesn't heat consistently or sometimes almost not at all.

2. Don't even get me started on the oven which does ok for what we need it to, but it really takes much much longer to bake than any stove I've ever used including the Amana Radiant range I had in my apartment. Lately, it seems to have gotten even worse as I think it is on its last leg.

3. I really don't like the lack of balance coils provide while using bigger pots and pans, it is SUPER annoying to me and slows things down way too much. To be completely honest I've never been a fan of coils, so I'm really happy to finally move on from this unit to a flat surface.

4. My wife and I do a LOT of cooking so we need a reliable and cost-effective stove to get us through until we move (which would probably be in the next 2 years or so). So instead of replacing the individual coils, why not just replace the entire stove with something that is much better for our situation? Plus it will be better for those we sell the house to as well long term.

So those are a few of the reasons I'm going with the Radiant range. I'm not saying that Coil tops are the worst thing in the world, but I much prefer a Radiant or Gas stove over a Coil top any day, hands down.

• MWJ '90
    Original Author
    17 days ago

@cpartist Maybe one day when we have the funds and are in our forever home but again for our current situation a Radiant range is just fine.

• wdccruise
    16 days ago

In CR's testing, the Frigidaire FCRE3052AS was one of the lowest-scoring radiant ranges. The LG LREL6321S scored much higher and is priced only $65 more.

Can you afford a few hundred more? The Frigidaire GCRI3058AF induction range is only about $1100 at Home Depot and Best Buy.

• MWJ '90
    Original Author
    16 days ago

@wdccruise, lowest in performance or lowest in reliability? Or both? I receive my stove Tuesday.

• kevinande
    15 days ago

Let's not overlook the op may also require new pans if they go induction. I love to see people make the transition to induction, however they have been clear that it is important to stick to their budget. If their existing pans are not compatible, this will be an additional expense.

• wdccruise
    15 days ago
    last modified: 15 days ago

"lowest in performance or lowest in reliability?"

baking-3, broiling-2, owner satisfaction-2; scale: 1-5 with 5 best

• MWJ '90
    Original Author
    15 days ago

@wdccruise any information regarding reliability? This is what I'm more concerned with. I would look for myself yt Consumer Reports no longer make their printed issues very accessible as they used to. Plus I don't want to pay for the online subscription...not at this point at least.

• MWJ '90
    Original Author
    15 days ago

@kevinande thank you for understanding where I'm coming from.

• wdccruise
    15 days ago
  • MWJ '90
    Original Author
    10 days ago

New range came in Tuesday. Can't wait to cook my first meal on it tomorrow.

• dan1888
    10 days ago
    last modified: 10 days ago

Another cleanup tip. Stop at Harbor Freight and pick up a box of single edge razor blades. Hold one at a low angle and it won't scratch the glass. A little soap acts as a lubricant. Surface must be cool. So maybe 30 minutes after use.

• Cadyren
    10 days ago

Hope you are enjoying your new range. Just wanted to say I have had a Frigidaire smooth top range for almost 15 years. I have had no problems & my top looks like new except for a faint ring on the burner I use the most. I bought this stove because it had a bisque top along with the bisque range. The light top has weathered well. Rarely do I have to scrape anything off & I'm a slop. I cannot say whether the black/gray tops are harder to keep clean. I sure wish manufacturers made light tops now. Have fun!

• awm03
    10 days ago

Let us know how it goes with your new range! Hope you enjoy cooking on it. Might be a slight learning curve after cooking with coil -- you may need lower heat settings. But the discovery period goes for any new appliance. It's taken me a year to get a really good feel for the power settings on my new cooktop & for what my new oven can & can't do well. Relax & enjoy the experimenting.

re cleaning, sometimes you can get by with a dab of Dawn & a clean damp microfiber cloth, & sometimes you can't, ex. starch stains. I've become a fan of Weiman's Max cooktop cleaner. I didn't like it at first because of the smell, the slight grit, & you have to rinse it off with a damp towel after applying (then buff w/ a paper towel). But it does a better job than other products, imo, and a little goes a very long way. My container lasted me a year. Cleans stainless steel pots & pans, enameled cookware, & oven glass too.

https://www.amazon.com/Weiman-Cooktop-Cleaner-Max-Burned/dp/B00E2USO52/ref=asc_df_B00E2USO52/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=216559542401&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4717846951905022117&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9003445&hvtargid=pla-374276273972&psc=1

• Sherry
    10 days ago

I had a GE coil I loved and it could not be repaired in 2019. I bought a GE smooth top. The new coil ranges are not the same as the old. They are required to have safety sensors, that seem to break a lot.

I have found that I like the new range. It heats as quick as the old coil. It in a way is easier to clean. If something boils over, it does not run down into the pans and burn on. I have found that if after the top cools, if I wash the top with dish soap and cloth, then dry, it cuts down on the cleaning. I use the cleaner that came with the stove for the tough stuff. A small amount on a paper towel removes the stuff, then polish with a clean paper towel.

I actually like it better than coil since I got used to it. The only thing I do not do, is I cannot put the hot pots and pans out of the oven onto the coils like the old stove.

I did not want to get rid of all the pots I love to get induction and my house would of had to be rewired. I do not have gas available inside. I do have propane gas outside with my grills and cooker.

• dan1888
    10 days ago

Sherry, induction uses the same 40 amp circuit and outlet your current range uses. No rewiring would be required.

• Sherry
    10 days ago

Not the ones I was looking at. They were 50 amp. Anyway, I still would have to of changed pans. Mine did not hold a magnet.

• dadoes
    10 days ago

"Sherry: The only thing I do not do, is I cannot put the hot pots and pans out of the oven onto the coils like the old stove."

Is there a restriction stated for your smoothtop range against placing hot pans on it? I've been taking things out of the oven and placing them on the glass radiant top (when it's cool, not onto hot burner areas) of my GE for 17 years to no apparent cause of a problem thus far.

• dan1888
    9 days ago

Sherry Look at 40 amp units and the performance would still be 5 times and more than radiant. Plus, no cleanup issues. Remember, you can wipe clean the cooktop right away with a spritz of cleaner and a cloth or paper towel. With radiant you have to return to do that half an hour later. And that's a commitment everyone using the range needs to make. Reality for most is the razor blade. Poor performance and cleanup issues are two major drawbacks suggesting why so many of these completely functioning radiant ranges are for sale on Facebook Marketplace for $100-250. People do not enjoy them.

Ikea has inexpensive induction ready pans. Costco has sets. All-Clad has sales you can sign up to get the notifications for. D3 pans are excellent.

• Sherry
    9 days ago

dan1888, Same reasons now as in 2019. The cost of induction.. My new GE only cost $750. I'm not getting rid of my pots, which would not work on induction. Now, there is another. I'm not getting red of a new stove. By the time we finish eating the stove tip is cool and I clean it when I clean up the rest of the kitchen.

It cooks as fast as I need it to and is very responsive to temp changes. I have only had to use a razor blade once in three years. I was making fig preserves and spilt the syrup when stirring.

• Sherry
    9 days ago
    last modified: 9 days ago

dadoes, I'm not chancing a very hot cast iron onto the top. Maybe a cookie sheet, but I only use those once or twice a year.

• HU-16168550092
    9 days ago

Coil style ranges are generally one of the simplest and least costly to repair (except maybe for a digital pad control). If your coil burner or oven bske element starts to fail or just quits, those are wear itrms and not a reason to toss a range. That is muchveasier on a budget than ant new range. Also, dont forget that the time you spend cleaning a smoothtop radiant will add up considerably over time. Your time has value and is a cost we often forget to figure into any decision.

• Sherry
    9 days ago

Not if you can't buy the part needed, you can't repair.

• Laurie
    9 days ago

We changed to a new smooth top LG electric range from gas when we moved to FL from CA (no gas line in FL home). It took a little time to adjust but now find it to be a very good cooking surface. The smooth top is a big improvement over coil, much easier to keep clean with Weimar cleaner polish with cerama bryte pads. I use the speed broil and convection oven feature often. The oven took a little longer adjustment because everything cooks faster.

• Sherry
    9 days ago

I actually had gas in my camper and on the patio, but find I prefer electric.

• Cadyren
    9 days ago

I will probably look at an induction range when mine goes & I will need new pots. I have never spent a lot of time cleaning my smooth top. I don't even use the Weiman cleaner every week. I wipe with a clean dish cloth. The amount of time I spend cleaning it probably averages minutes a week. This argument doesn't hold water with me. YMMV

• awm03
    9 days ago

I never had trouble cleaning my old radiant cooktop either. Never used the the cooktop cremes on my grey pebbled glass radiant because I never had to. I only use them now on my induction because the black glass shows every smear & streak. In general, I'm not one to crank up the heat & let foods splatter & boil over & don't put off cleaning messes. I just never had a problem with burned on stuff, never needed a razor blade to scrape it.

I probably put more time into cleaning the induction cooktop, keeping it pristine looking because I don't like those visible streaks & smears. That's the fault of black glass.

Wish you all could see my SIL's 2002 black glass JennAir radiant cooktop. It still looks brand new (as do her pots & pans -- she's an amazing if fanatic cleaner). She's a serious cook, doesn't like cooking with gas, doesn't want induction, & will go with radiant again when her old JennAir bites the dust.

• MWJ '90
    Original Author
    5 days ago

Just wanted to provide an update. I cooked my first meal on my new radiant top range and I absolutely LOVE cooking on a flat surface again. The temperature control is great and clean up was a breeze. 

This is the first time using a range that has a burner with dual elements so that was a bit of an adjustment for the first few minutes, as the Amana radiant top I had in my apartment didn't have one. But once I got a hang of it, it worked great. Happy with my purchase so far.

• SEA SEA
    5 days ago

Great news MWJ! Happy cooking!! Thanks for the update. :)

• MWJ '90
    Original Author
    5 days ago

Thanks SEA SEA! :)

• Toronto Veterinarian
    5 days ago

"Happy with my purchase so far."

Excellent! You obviously made the right choice for what you wanted.

• awm03
    5 days ago

Yay! May you enjoy many hours of cooking with your pretty new range.

• MWJ '90
    Original Author
    5 days ago

Thank you Toronto Veterinarian and awm03! I'm hoping this range serves us well for the time we're in our current place and for those who will occupy it after us :)