SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
daninthedirt

oral allergy syndrome and dried fruit

daninthedirt (USDA 8b, HZ9, CentTX, Sunset z30, Cfa)
2 months ago
last modified: 2 months ago

Yeah, I should ask this on a medical forum, but I thought I'd try here. A relative has "oral allergy syndrome", where, when eating most kinds of fresh fruit, they start getting tingling, itching, and swelling of their face, tongue and throat. This is a common condition. Cooked fruit is fine. No problems. My question is if anyone knows if dried fruit is OK. I see random posts on the internet that suggest that maybe dried fruit does NOT set off this allergic reaction, but I'm kinda stumped how merely warm temperatures used in drying can change the proteins that cause this allergy. Or is it actually just the drying that does the job? Oh, I mean HOME dried fruit with no added sulfates.

Comment