SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
judijunebugarizonazn8

How to terrace this area for a new garden?

Although I’m a fairly experienced gardener, when it comes to landscape design, I feel rather like an amateur. I look at lots of pictures to get ideas and ask advice and then do the best I can. This area is going to take a lot of work to get it ready to plant with roses, and I have some ideas, but I don’t feel exactly confident that my ideas are good ones. As you can see if you zoom up, it’s being used as an enclosure for my daughter’s pet tortoise at present. The line of concrete blocks holding him in this space will eventually be the line between the future lawn and my terraced garden. The area behind the blocks is going to be terraced in 3 levels by building stone walls as retaining walls for the terraces. On the middle level, I want to build a rebar arbor/pergola for climbing roses with a seating area underneath. I plan to use obelisks here and there for climbers as well. While I plan to plant mostly old roses in this area, there will also be lavender and salvias and other perennials and some small ornamental trees, etc.

You may notice some white marking lines. I was trying to lay out the plan for terracing this area, but this is where I feel really unsure of myself. Should I do pretty much straight lines or is that too stiff and boring? I love gentle, graceful curves and informal shapes, so I think that’s what I prefer. Since there will be two walls to provide the 3 levels, if I curve them, should they curve parallel to each other or should they follow their own meandering path? Will it look silly to have the middle section widen at the area where I want the arbor/ pergola to be? Let me know if more pictures from other angles will help you in advising me. The rock work itself is something my husband and I can figure out. We built the wall you see in the photo and continue to build more as we find time. It’s the layout for the terraces that is difficult for me. Any ideas?

Comment (1)