SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_339647040

Wearing overalls

Jilly
last year
last modified: last year

Do you, have you?

When I was a cute little young thing, I wore the shorts type with crop tops. They were popular in the ’90s. I wanted to be like a Fly Girl (dancers on a show back then).

:: sighs in middle age ::

Now I’m considering ordering these long ones:

Yay or nay? Do I need to be 6’0” and weigh 112 lbs for them to look good?

Comments (82)

• jsk
    last year

I wanted to try out the trend without spending a lot, so I got a pair from Target. They are one of the most comfortable things I own. As long as it's the type you wear a tank underneath, as shown in your picture, public bathrooms are not a big deal. I wouldn't wear a jumpsuit where you have to get naked to pee! Port-a-potties are a non-starter, so I never worry about that.

I am not 6 ft/112 lbs. Not even close.

Go for it.

Jilly thanked jsk
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    last year

Jsk, good to know … I’ll see if my Target has any to get an idea of fit. Thank you!

• Related Discussions

You Know You Are An Iowan...When...

Q

Comments (1)
    I understand the sentiment. I found a really good workout helps a lot. But, when you are finished, it is still winter. More snow on the way as I write. I will have to share the little joke. I like it. Hang in there.
    ...See More

old Timers, and Knowledge.

Q

Comments (26)
    I was being bored and chanced on this group. If any of you go to sales, auction and other, look for old garden books. Many of them have much lost information. Currently I am waiting for April to see if I can do a spring tree peony graft the way mentioned in a 1840 Horticulture, Botany, magazine talks about. Have had several others especially from NY and PA that talks about using manure pits to heat hot houses. I don't have enough manure or area to do that but a lot of information is waiting in the old books. You just have to decifier it. Same way to had to take your gram's receipts where it said a hand full of this and that. Those of you that still have old ones arround keep talking to them about what was done when they were little. Between what sounds like babble is a world of information if you just listen to it. Hope you all weather the ice and stay warm until spring.
    ...See More

You Are a Texa If...

Q

Comments (8)
    about that belt buckle: Years ago I worked in an office where a high school girl helped out in the afternoons. She was a rodeo girl, always wore jeans & western shirts, & she was out of town most week-ends traveling to one rodeo or another. She had never flown before. On the Monday following her first airplane trip to a rodeo in another state, somebody asked her how it went. She blushed & looked embarrassed, & finally told it: She had set off the metal detector. She emptied her purse & her pockets & still set the thing off. Finally, the security person realized it was her championship rodeo buckle... 'bout the size of a dessert plate.
    ...See More

Engineered wood: does wear layer matter besides ability to refinish?

Q

Comments (1)
    That is a very thin wear layer and as you mentioned you will never be able to sand and refinish the wood floor. There is also a risk that any deep scratches or dents could go right through the wear layer. The wear layer is just one part of the engineered wood flooring. The core is a very important as well and is the most common part to 'fail' in an engineered wood floor. The finish is another very important aspect that affects longevity. Here is an article that explains how an engineered floor is made - https://www.woodco.com/news/what-you-need-to-know-before-buying-an-engineered-wood-floor/
    ...See More
  • lascatx
    last year

I have had overalls in the past and loved them. I do have the height, but not at 112 lbs. Ever. My last ones and most favorite were linen. I saw someone looking for a pattern to make linen ones last night and if got me thinking about doing the same. I'd say try them. If they fit well they are super comfortable and you have so many options on how much fabric and drape there is, so I suspect most body types can find an appropriate fit.

Jilly thanked lascatx
  • Arapaho-Rd
    last year

Oh yes. Back in my younger days which go back to the 70's I sure did, denim of course. Not often but they were a thing then. These are cute and much more feminine. I'm giving you a thumbs up, Jinx!

Jilly thanked Arapaho-Rd
  • arcy_gw
    last year

Jumpsuits made a come back a few years ago and are still around. I do think the bathroom issues keep them from being bigger than they are. Memories of the on and off keep me from going back to that fashion statement. Once you get a certain age you realize ease and comfort are worth more than 'fashion forward'. The overalls you show are very cute--but sooo not what I see on people and mostly when I see them I am not thinking attractive. I never have never would wear them. WAAAY back in the day when they hit the scene as a fashion statement, think '70s, my mom saw some young gals in them and felt sooo sorry they had to wear farmer grandpa's hand me downs. That comment has always STUCK in my brain. I was a tween at the time.

Jilly thanked arcy_gw
  • maire_cate
    last year

I passed a woman wearing linen overalls last night on my way into a restaurant. She had on a light jean jacket and looked adorable. At least order a pair and see what you think when you try them on.

Jilly thanked maire_cate
  • graywings123
    last year

I would think this style would help visually elongate the wearer.

I saw a 70-ish woman in WalMart yesterday with flowing white hair, a short jeans skirt fringed at the bottom, white Reeboks and white crew socks. She was rockin' it!

Jilly thanked graywings123
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    last year

I just ordered it, thanks, all. :)

I’ll update with a review … it won’t be here for a couple of weeks.

• party_music50
    last year

I think I have a pic of myself wearing overalls while walking down a hallway in college! I had a friend who loved photography... several, actually. I’ll take a look for it sometime. I remember overalls not being the best choice for bathroom use. :p

Jilly thanked party_music50
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    last year

Party, find it and show us!

• jmck_nc
    last year

Please get them! I looked at that exact garment in the spring when I really wanted something cool with limited waist contact. I decided I couldn't pull it off at my age/dimensions but I bet you can! Come back with pictures please

Jilly thanked jmck_nc
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    last year

I will, jmck, thank you! (I’ll bet you’d look great in them.)

• User
    last year

She had on a light jean jacket and looked adorable.

I keep trying to pair a jean jacket with trendy new loose fitting clothes, and it just makes me look like somebody trying to dress "Santa Fe" style, not in a good way. it looks so cute on everybody else though!

Jilly thanked User
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    last year

I just unearthed my Calvin Klein jean jacket from the 1990’s, I was so excited. Vintage! 🤣

I need to drop a few Covid pounds before I can wear it, though. :/

• User
    last year

I have my boys Levis jeans jackets from the 80's. They fit me perfectly and I wear them . I also bought two at the GW recently for $5 a piece that are more feminine . I have a beautiful charcoal gray jumpsuit I bought for DD"s wedding 6 yrs ago and I love wearing it. I used to have denim overalls shorts and I sure wish I hadn't donated them !!! I wore them all the time. They were hand me downs from DD. :)

@Jilly can you post a link to the ones you ordered ? Thank you . c

Jilly thanked User
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    last year

Here it is, C. I can’t link to Big A, so screenshot —

I actually first saw it on Zulily, and was about to order, then decided to do a search on Big A … Zulily has a terrible return policy if it doesn’t fit. Plus, it was a few bucks more, and with no free shipping. (I’ve been very disappointed with them lately.)

I figure I’ll start with an inexpensive set first to see what I think. :)

I really like how it gathers in the front, rather than the straight bib (?) style.

• User
    last year

thank you !!! cute and great price!!!

Jilly thanked User
  • party_music50
    last year

Jinx, I looked, but I only found one photo and it doesn't show the entire overalls. My friend developed his own photography, so it's all in B&W. I was wearing a suede jacket over denim overalls, and I remember adding the birds to the shirt. lol!

• jojoco
    last year

I saw the Red Hot Chili Peppers a few days ago, and noticed a few women wearing your overalls. Super cute look, especially with a tank that had some lace on the straps. You will look great!

Jilly thanked jojoco
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    last year

Party, oh my goodness, you look so cute! (Beautiful hair.) Love that picture, thank you!

Thank you, jo!

• party_music50
    last year

Thank you, Jinx! It was fun looking through the old photos. :)

• nicole___
    last year

Geez....Jinx....I can't make them for that price. What a great deal! Your gonna be styling in them!

Keela...a neighbor....wore a pair with a flat front. It accentuated her hips....or rather her hip bones, she's really skinny...and it was very unflattering on her. (Needed a butt to fill them out) I think the gathers will be a huge plus to the overall fit...and look.

Jilly thanked nicole___
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks, nicole! I do like the gathers.

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    last year

Party, you looked fabulous in that outfit. And your hair is amazing!

Jilly thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • party_music50
    last year

Thank you, Zalco! I’ve always been known for all my curly blonde hair.… it’s never been dyed! And seeing it short like that is making me think about getting some chopped off….

• 1929Spanish-GW
    last year

I keep coming across this post without participating because I just want to answer with a single word:

b00b$

😂😂😂

Jilly thanked 1929Spanish-GW
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    last year

😆

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    last year

Jinx, I bought this one in navy a few months ago from the big A in Canada for about $25, but I got them to wear around the house and in the garden : ) . They're ankle length, *very* light and airy and excellent during heat waves and heat domes. I did have to shorten the straps.

Jilly thanked beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    last year

Love those, Becky! Thanks for showing me! I’m excited to get mine. :)

• Jilly
    Original Author
    last year

Update:

Overalls came, overalls suck.

They were too short (I’m average height, but have long legs) … highwaters, and not in a stylish way. The crotch area went from the top of my stomach down and created massive camel toe. The material felt like a grain sack, but very thin. And the wrinkles! They’d need to be ironed every 15 minutes.

I looked like Urkel.

They came USPS and I can just stick them back in the mailbox to return.

Lesson learned — overalls need to be tried on first.

Also, I recovered my desk chair. This was my uncle’s chair on the family ranch, circa 1970’s. I used a faux tooled leather fabric I found on Etsy. The wood was so hard to staple into, I have bruises on my hands and stomach, and possibly a dislocated shoulder.

I’m considering refinishing or painting the china cabinet in there (office/music room).

• Ida
    last year

Awww! What a disappointment!

Jilly thanked Ida
  • Sueb20
    last year

What, no pic???

Jilly thanked Sueb20
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    last year

Sue, it would get deleted for being obscene.

• rubyclaire
    last year

Actually, now looking at the original model photo all I can see is long camel toe. Thanks.

Jilly thanked rubyclaire
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    last year

Oh, ruby. It’s so much worse in person. Much, much worse.

That photo has to be Kardashian-level photoshopped. These would maybe fit a thin 11 yr old.

• nicole___
    last year

Yeah...I feel yer let-down Jinx. I made a pair of overalls in a heavy denim, they had a gather in front, about 35 years ago...and they were NOT flattering on me either.

Your upholstery job looks AWESOME! Love your fabric choice. ✨

Jilly thanked nicole___
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks, nicole! I found it on Etsy, but of course just that color was out of stock. Took months to get. It’s a great thickness — should wear well, but was supple enough to easily work with. And softer than real leather, but the texture looks just like the real stuff.

We rarely sit at that desk to use the dinosaur computer, though, so it won’t get used much.

We have a western + rock n roll theme in there. :D

• Tina Marie
    last year

TBH, I can't imagine wearing overalls. I just can't see them as comfortable. Sorry they didn't work out. But hey! The chair looks great!

Although we have tablets, phones, etc. I am actually at my desk on our dinosaur computer, in our office right now! I have to limit myself online and going to the computer helps me. Although I really like our office and we do have a newer computer so I guess I shouldn't call it a dino. My sister did inform me recently that "no one uses a desk top anymore". Humph! Maybe we wouldn't have one if it weren't for the Mr's business, but I like it. I like my great big screen so I can scrutinize Sue's hair and stuff like that! : )

Jilly thanked Tina Marie
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks, Tina!

Our set-up in there isn’t very comfortable, and I love the convenience of my iPad. But sometimes I do miss the dinosaur. If we ever have a separate office again, I think we’ll upgrade everything and use it more. It’s just for paying bills and banking now because I have a phobia of using phones for that. Irrational, I know, the desk computer can be hacked, too! Just a hang-up of mine.

I cannot do internet on my phone. Too small.

• Funkyart
    last year

I do love overalls-- but they must be proportioned for your body! I have a beautiful adrienne papel walkthru jumpsuit in my closet for "when I lose weight".. but I fear it will still be too short in the waist for me. I am tempted to try it now.. but a little scared lol. Keep trying them-- you will look adorable in the right pair!

I have been using a laptop for work and play-- but with a high end AMOLED 4K screen for my eyes. When I work, I should be at a desk connected to a large screen monitor (or two) but I prefer the ease of working wherever I want. Come fall, i will need to go back to working at a desk.. and I am considering getting an all-in-one computer vs a desktop (ok, it IS a desktop but without the separate computer and monitor). I don't think any of the setups make you a dinosaur-- especially not for work. What makes a computer a dinosaur is when it is outdated and can't work with the current applications, websites and security standards.

Jilly thanked Funkyart
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks, Funky!

Your last sentence describes ours perfectly. :D

I like the sound of the set-up you’re considering. We are so behind on these things!

• Funkyart
    last year

I used an all-in-one in the last house-- they have come a long way and what I love most about them is that they eliminate the need for a billion wires. I haven't really shopped them recently-- my old one was a Lenova but I think I'll go HP for the next. I saw a GREAT review for one of the new HPs.

Of course you only really need one if you need the major screen real estate (i do). You can get a great laptop for a very reasonable price these days... especially with the holidays approaching.

Jilly thanked Funkyart
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    last year

Yes, the wires! I hate them! Our computer is sitting on a vintage corner table, with 40 million cords/wires showing underneath. Add that to DH’s cords everywhere (amps, guitars, other music equipment), and it’s a circus in there.

Ok, you’re inspiring me. I need to upgrade. :D

• Tina Marie
    last year

Ours is an all in one and I really like it

Jilly thanked Tina Marie
  • Funkyart
    last year

Look at it this way-- where do you spend more time in your day? For me, it is bed and the computer (don't I sound like a slug!). I am getting a new mattress very soon too. I have it narrowed down to 2.

Jilly thanked Funkyart
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    last year

Good luck!

We got one last year, spent months researching. Shopping for a new mattress is not fun. Too many choices. Too many reviews. I finally just chose one out of exhaustion.

We’re not thrilled with it, but it’ll have to do for now.

• jmck_nc
    last year

Too bad about the overalls. A (tall, lithe, thin) co-worker wore the most amazing overalls the other day. My body type is none of those things...in my next life.....

Jilly thanked jmck_nc
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    last year

Jmck, the hunt is still on, but only in person! :D

• gsciencechick
    last year

IDK if I’d try overalls, but maybe I’d like a front zip jumpsuit. But yeah, not at this weight. We saw a band where the female singer wore a jumpsuit, and i thought it looked fun. Our weekend metereologist also wears jumpsuits, but hers are back zip, and there is no way I’d attempt that.

Jilly thanked gsciencechick
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    last year

G, these had a side zipper, and that was awkward enough … a back one, no way! :D

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!