SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ruthz_gw

FOTESS September 2022: Jug Face planter/part 2

ruthz
last year
last modified: last year

FOTESS September 2022: Jug Face planter/part 2

This is part two of the April Fotess Jug Face planter swap.

This will be simple.

Part two we will post a picture of our finished planter with hair, and vote for our favorite.

Voting will be by sending a card to your favorites.

Feel free to include goodies/surprises in the card if you would like, but not required.

You may send as many cards as you'd like, but send at least two cards.

One for your favorite Jug Face Artist and one for your favorite hairstylist.

Please post your Jug Face picture by Friday the 9th.

Include your Hairdresser's name with your picture please.

Mail cards by the 22nd please.

Please post when you recieve a card.

Teams:

Jug face artist, Ruth.................hairstylist, Amy

Jug face artist, Shirley.............hairstylist, Annie

Jug face artist, Urooj...............hairstylist, Ruth

Jug face artist, Susan..............hairstylist, Shirley

Jug face artist, Annie..............hairstylist, Urooj

Jug face artist, Amy.................hairstylist, Susan

Comments (33)

• brittneysgran
    last year

Loved this swap and my jug has some beautiful hair now.

• sandlapper_rose
    last year

Can't wait to see these creations. This was such a fun idea.

• Related Discussions

UPDATE: Part 3!!! O.B.F. Members Summertime Swap

Q

Comments (71)
    My wonderful package from Sue G. arrived today!!! S - Star jasmine (I rushed to plant it!) U - Unusual Ladybug (this is so darn cute!!!) M - Mighty cute Pooh and Grumpy Pot hangers M - Motion sensing chirping bird ornament (I'm hoping this will scare the deer from my peas! It's cute, too.) E - Everyone likes Juicy Fruit Gum R - Ringing of the chimes Indian wind chime, lady bug wind chime and a dragonfly wind chime T - Toadstool Rain Gage I LOVE this, but USPS managed to break it. I don't have a rain gage and this is super-cute. The USPS is so darn rough with packages. :( I - Illumination for a pot or? (solar light) My garden toads will love this. M - Mitt for the oven E - Everyone needs some plant food spikes. ALWAYS need these! :) What a wonderful, extremely thoughtful package, Sue. You are so kind. Thank you so much! Sheri This post was edited by Panhandle_Seed_Swap on Mon, Aug 18, 14 at 17:47
    ...See More

new: obf jan something squirrley

Q

Comments (150)
    Good Morning! I spent a few hours yesterday doing long overdue "Fall" clean up. It was just gorgeous outside, bright sunshine mid 50's hope to finish it up today with even warmer temps in the forcast. I have gotten so soft living in the south, brrrr, don't think I could stand a northern winter anymore! It was so wet in November and December and freezing in January I am glad to get a reprieve even if it only lasts a week or so! Shirley Beth really stocked up on 'squirrels' for the swap! they are too cute and what a great flag! I hope you are enjoying the warm weather! Jeanne I hope all goes well at the vet and your dog gets well soon. Heidi What a handsome boy you have there! He really seems to be enjoying the Squirrely visits! Laura GREAT Squirrel pics! I couldn't find a squirrel photo (I know I have dozens) but here is a relative. I can imagine the birds chittering 'who's the knew guy?!?!' I hope everyone is staying safe and warm! Have a terrific day! Frances
    ...See More

September 2020 Building a Home Thread

Q

Comments (541)
    @lynnheins, I am so sorry about your roof! Gosh, that sucks! We are having a roof issue, too, that the builder says is a non-issue. It only shows for a brief period of the day when the sun is at a certain position.... His response was, “It comes from the sun hitting it on just the right angle and shows up any tiny bit of irregularity on the sheathing. It seems it happens more with unfinished areas as the temp change makes it condensate more when the sun hits the top side and the bottom is still cold. I’m not sure there is anything we can do with it but we will look at it.” Ugh.
    ...See More

September in my hosta garden

Q

Comments (70)
    Looking good as usual UTOG. Many of mine were looking great, but today was the day chosen for cutting all back. As the weather cools off, I start getting the yard ready for winter even tho it’s a long way off. I have yard decor to clean and bring in and store and the drenching has to be done..... I am not a cold weather person, even though I’ve lived in WI all my life. It’s been a tough summer for me, between my hip replacement and chronic bursitis in the other hip.......I AM DONE!! Lol........lol debra
    ...See More
  • brittneysgran
    last year

Jug face artist - Shirley

Hairstylist - Annie

• canyonwind
    last year

I will post my pic tomorrow.....my "Daisy Jane" has seen better days...LOL!

Happy day to all.....be safe...stay cool!!

• ruthz
    Original Author
    last year

So here is my finished jug face planter with hair.

Jug face artist - Ruth

Hairstylist - Amy

• canyonwind
    last year

Jug face artist...Annie

Hairstylist....Urooj

Daisy Jane's hair is bolting...her skin is peeling too. Poor girl can not handle the hot sun like her creator.

• ruthz
    Original Author
    last year

Good morning fellow Fotessers (is that a word ?)

It's looking like a very slow month here.

Where are our MIA swap partners?

I sent emails to Amy, Susan and Urooj to remind them, but haven't had any response.

I'm hoping everyone is okay.

I'm not really sure if I have everyone's updated info.

Shirley and Annie, love the finished Jug Face planters.

I'm thinking of doing a couple of Jug Face witches for halloween.

Update;

Just checked my "junk" messages and Amy had replied but it went to junk.

"Ruth,
    I am sorry but my hair didn't make it and I am not going to be able to participate this month but I appreciate the invitation. Hope you have a wonderful month. Amy"

• ruthz
    Original Author
    last year

Amy, I thought your Jug Face was adorable, so if you get a chance just post another picture of it.

And I loved all the hair you sent me. Everything lived but a couple struggled with the extreme heat we've had. The Mother of Thousands and the Donkey Ears grew the best so far.

Sorry you won't be joining us.

• canyonwind
    last year

I have been concerned about Susan N since Spring. It is not like her to not check in. She is a very good communicator. I sent her a card via snail mail, maybe back in June or July....did not hear from her. I gather no one else has either. I believe I have a phone number on her. I might just give her a call. And I think she was supposed to host for OBF September. I checked a few days ago and she had not posted on OBF.

• ruthz
    Original Author
    last year

I haven't heard from Susan since the April swap.

I believe Urooj was planning a lot of traveling this summer.

Hope both are okay.

It has been a weird past few years.

• sandlapper_rose
    last year

Hope everyone is doing well. I caught something last week so I haven't been up to much lately. Feeling a lot better today though so I'll be out to run a few errands. Are leaves falling where you are? Certainly not even "cool" here but the leaves are falling steadily - either the shorter days or them being a bit dry, I don't know which. I'll be out there with the rake by the end of the week.

• ruthz
    Original Author
    last year

Annie and Shirley. Looks like we're Jug Facing by ourselves this month.

Well, I thought it was a cute idea???

Beth, cute teddy bear. We have a singing military teddy bear and hubby has a motorcycle teddy bear.

Jeanne, we've had falling leaves because of our hot dry summer. I think a lot of trees have died around here this year. 2021 and 2022 Texas weather has been from one extreme to another. This year no rain and triple digit temps started early. Then August 22nd we had almost 8" of rain is a 24 hour period. And then it kept raining off and on for days. My crape myrtles and Rose of Sharon's love it. The vitex is even starting to bloom again.

Our Euless Garden Club fall plant swap is Saturday. They moved it up a month because of another event in October. I'm trying to decide if I'll go. It's still too hot to dig plants in my opinion.

I know we don't have enough people for games this month, but does anyone want to guess what few trees I've bought recently. Three different varieties of one, and two different varieties of another.

• canyonwind
    last year

Ruth, I love your JUG idea. Even if it is only you, Shirley and me....we three carry on...LOL!

Guessing on trees....Rose trees and Palm trees.

ruthz thanked canyonwind
  • sandlapper_rose
    last year

Ruth, I love the jug idea. I would have joined in if I hadn't been so busy following my move. I still may make one next Spring.

Tree guess: dogwood and crepe myrtle

ruthz thanked sandlapper_rose
  • ruthz
    Original Author
    last year

No to all the guesses.

I lost a lot of my roses to Rose rosette disease a few years ago and didn't plan on replacing. Last year I caved and decided to replace one of my favorites, Darlow's Enigma. And since I was ordering anyway I also replaced Ballerina and Nastarana. This year I think I've lost Belinda's Dream. I love that one and probably will replace it next year.

I do have crape myrtles, but no new ones this year.

I love dogwoods but they are better suited to East of here.

Don't think I would ever try to have a palm here. Our winters are often too cold for them.

Not garden related, but are y'all noticing a change in the real estate market in your area? For a while, houses have been selling before they are even listed. It's been crazy. Now we have at least five houses for sale and one for rent in the few streets around us.

• canyonwind
    last year

Real Estate market has slowed a bit. While it was hot, houses were selling for LOTS more $$$$ than the listed price......ridiculous!! There is NO WAY, I would have ever paid any where near what my house would have sold for if I had put it on the market. Prices in CA are nuts anyways. Everything in CA is nuts......

• beth_b_kodiak
    last year

Ruth we have the drought here too and the heat in August was merciless. Even the indestructable lilacs have lost most of their leaves. only one short period of rain since early summer. A lot of the new plants I bought for the "New shade garden" did not survive. The lake here was reported as "down 4 feet" over Labor Day holidays. This meant the rocks that are usually buried by water might cause problems for some larger boats and recreational swimmers.

and, yes, the craziness of the REALESTATE market is cooling off too. Maybe things will drift more towards normal, but who knows?

Some days I find myself wondering what normal is.

Today is Open House at a historic 1860's village nearby and I wonder if that will feel "Normal" Perhaps so but look forward to the outing.

Have a nice weekend.

Bethb

• ruthz
    Original Author
    last year

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

I know what you mean. I think it was 2019 the last time I felt things were pretty normal.

I don't know how a lot of people survive in all the craziness.

The plant swap was pretty fun today. Not many people there, but lots of plants.

I brought home more than I needed.

Aloe Vera

Huernia

Euphorbia lactea (mottled spurge)

Flame Acanthus

Orbea variegata (Stapelia variegata)

radiator plants are species belonging to the genus Peperomia

Silver squill, wood hyacinth, leopard lily

Botanical Name Ledebouria sociali

I'm guessing at some of these names.

Some of these would have been good "hair".

Maybe we can try this swap again some time.

Anybody else wanna guess (again) at my new trees?

• sandlapper_rose
    last year

Great that you went to a plant swap, Ruth. I'll be doing that next weekend. The swap group in this area also includes a potluck meal and we meet at a park so it's lots of fun. I have little in terms of plants to share but no one seems to mind. I'll bring seeds and I have a very few things that are in the seedling stage. Not impressive since they are growing so slowly.

Today the quilt group I joined had a barn quilt painting class so I no longer have a barn but now I have a sign to hang on a barn! I painted a cardinal so I think I will use it as an outside Christmas decoration if I can figure out how and where to secure it (it's 2' x 2') and I'm considering adding a green garland around the edge and small lights. We'll see if my plan works out.

This is the cardinal I painted. Once I got it home I decided it needs a thin dark line around the beak since the yellow is not showing up as much as I like. My edges were very bad - had no idea it was so hard to hold the paint brush in such a way as to get a nice straight line. I was so slow painting that after 3 1/2 hours, I just quickly put in the green and waited for it to dry enough that I could get the painting to the car.

When in Lexington we did almost no outside decorations since our house couldn't be seen from the road. Just a wreath on the door, garland around the door and we had two tall candles that I placed on each side of the door. I wanted to buy some things for this house last year but it seemed very difficult for me to find anything I liked. For some reason I was in the mood to find small candy canes that lit up and arrange them with some greenery. No luck with that. Ordering was "iffy" - it might come and it might not. Certainly things will be better this year. I'm just absolutely overjoyed to be able to join the classes and groups I have recently joined and get out to do things with people. It had been so lonely.

I go for the new version of the COVID vaccine on Wednesday so I'll feel better about being out and about after that. Anything indoors, I still wear my mask. Found out a few days ago that the new doctor I had in this area is no longer going to work in that field of medicine so time to look for a different doctor already. I was very happy with her and not looking forward to changing again.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

• Beth Brownberry
    last year

I love silver squill. Had that in Alaska but could not move it when I left the state. I have limited space here in my little retirement house and always more plants than really "Fit"

December 19th of 2019 I became sick with a mysterious respiratory infection that lasted over 7 weeks and was not responsive to any antibiotics. Family now believes it was Covid, "Before it had a name" Jan brought Jack's Cancer diagnosis and life became crazy with sickness treatments and covid restrictions. Younger son in law was admitted to ICU with covid but did recover.. YES< I have had enough and we are all (This family anyway) struggling to figure out what is "Normal" now.

Having garden friends to talk with about normal things is sure a blessing. Not looking for sympathy as we all have had struggles through the past few years. Just glad we have all been able to hang on to this little "Normal" area of our lives

• brittneysgran
    last year

Annie thanks for my card and seeds English Lavender and Lemon Grass. Love my seeds.

• amybabyboy3
    last year

Oh ladies im sorry i couldn’t join this month but too much going on. I am wishing for normal!

Annie, Thank you so much for the adorable card I love it! You definitely brightened my day and I have not been gardening but I planted the german lavender and lettuce in a new planter by my front door last night!

Ruth, I will try to plant my girls hair this weekend and post a picture.

Thank you again Annie! You made my day!

• ruthz
    Original Author
    last year

Good morning. Hope your all having a good week.

Annie, Thank you so much for the card and seeds. I took a picture, but my computer and pictures just don't seem to get along anymore. Lately all the pictures I download go somewhere to never be found again.

Jeanne, glad your enjoying getting out and about again. I love your cardinal painting.

We used to have four swaps a year besides our little Euless swaps. They always included us taking food to share. Spring and fall swap in Dallas and Fort Worth. The lady that used to run the Dallas swap stopped years due to health problems. The Fort Worth swaps just haven't had much interest since covid started. San Antonio and East Texas still have them. I've gone to one East Texas swap and a couple of Dallas ladies went to several San Antonio swaps.

Beth, my daughter thinks both her and I had covid back in November 2019 also before we had heard of it. We were both pretty sick but who knows. So sorry about Jack. We are losing so many friends to cancer.

Amy, don't worry about the hair. I'm pretty sure Urooj's hair that I sent her didn't do well either. I sent Dichondra seeds which I think would be awesome hair. Last year mine got about three or four feet long. This year so far it's about one to four inches. And most of that growth has been recent since we got rain and cooler off a little.

We are flying to New York this weekend for a wedding. We haven't flown since covid started and I am not happy about flying.

• sandlapper_rose
    last year

Ruth, I hope your trip is a safe one. I went for the most recent COVID vaccine on Wednesday and I can't say it's from the vaccine but felt under the weather for 2 days with cold-like symptoms and very tired. Totally back to normal by Friday. This was the only time from the 5 shots I've hard where the area around the injection site got red. Guess a sign it worked!

I went to the plant swap and once again, it was an absolute delight. So many plants and the weather was perfect! I came home with the back of my car filled and a tangerine tree on my front passenger seat. This will be my first time trying to grow citrus. I haven't looked carefully at what I have yet, but I remember a shrimp plant (used to have one and loved it), some begonias, chrysanthemums, irises, helebores, and many others. I'll try to make a list of them tomorrow.

• ruthz
    Original Author
    last year

How was your weekend?

Thank you Shirley, for the beautiful card and seeds.

We're home from the wedding and it was a beautiful fun wedding.

Got to spend some time with family that we don't see often. Only negative was LaGuardia Airport and having to sit on the plane for two hours before takeoff on the way home.

A walk thru my yard this morning was nice. The trees I bought were three different variety jujubee trees, a Celeste fig and a Brown Turkey fig. The Brown Turkey has two ripe figs. I planted seeds for fall okra and have quite a few small pods today. May be ready to harvest tomorrow or Wednesday. My fall tomato plant has small green tomatoes now. And I had a good harvest of long beans that will be cooked for dinner.

If I post pictures from my phone to FB, then "save as" I can then post them on Houzz. So that's how I was able to post these.

If I download pictures from my camera to my computer, I can never find where they go.

Sweet Autumn clematis

Henryi clematis (a surprise)

Brown Turkey fig

Heavy Hitter okra (1 of 3 stalks)

Also have 3 stalks of Jambalaya

Louisiana Tall didn't make it

• ruthz
    Original Author
    last year

Amy, my Donkey Ears are doing so well. Two of the leaves have new babies growing. My green dichondra from seeds are in the bottom of pot. They were supposed to trail over but growth has been slow this year.

• ruthz
    Original Author
    last year

Amy, please check in when you get a chance and let us know your okay.

My brother and sister in law now live in Florida on the east side, but I believe they were stopping in NC on their way home.

Prayers for everyone affected by hurricane Ian.

• canyonwind
    last year

GOT MAIL.....

Thank you Shirley for the lovely card and seeds.....Daylily Double Blue Blood and Hollyhock Mixed.

Thank you Ruth for the lighthouse card and Prizes x 2. I am not going to say what I received as others might be receiving.....I love your prizes!

Ruth, I so enjoyed your 2 part swap......very clever and creative....lots of fun!!

I will be hosting FOTESS OCTOBER. I have no idea what I am doing but it will be simple for sure. I better put my thinking cap on pronto. I will post the OCTOBER swap over the weekend or on Monday.

• ruthz
    Original Author
    last year

Goodbye September.

This weekend is our American Legion Auxiliary 21st annual Cancer research fundraiser. Made 6 raffle baskets that I just took over.

I did send cards to Shirley and Amy also.

Maybe Shirley hasn't gotten hers yet.

With hurricane Ian Amy may never get hers.

Jug Face part 2 is a wrap. Thank you to all who participated.

If you would like to post more pictures or just say Hello, please do so.

Otherwise, see you in October.

• brittneysgran
    last year

Ruth I did receive my card and the $2 bill for my prize. Thank you so very much. Hoping gardening slows down as cooler weather approaches.

• amybabyboy3
    last year

Ruth, I did get the card and special treat. Thank you so much! We are very fortunate, we only lost internet but to so many areas it was devastating. Near my work houses and cars were under water. I am working from home right now.

Take care and have a wonderful October everyone!

• canyonwind
    last year

I posted the OCTOBER FOTESS SWAP, although it is not a swap.....easy does it! LOL!

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6311230/fotess-october-entertaining#n=1