SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_156389273

Kitchen design and layout advice needed!!

HU-156389273
last year
last modified: last year

I have had a lot of “buyer’s remorse” since purchasing my 1,070 square foot 2-bedroom cottage, built in the 1800’s, located in a beach community in New England. The house currently doesnt function very well, and I’ve decided to try to improve that as much as possible within the constraints of not being able to add square footage. The first floor is the kitchen/dining area, a small living room, and a small home office/3rd bedroom with a tiny half bath. Remodeling the current kitchen and relocating my laundry area is my focus now.

A main goal is to move the laundry area out of the basement, which has only 5’ ceilings and therefore is not workable at all. One of two or three possible options is to have a stacked washer and dryer in the kitchen/dining area, as cringeworthy as that feels. The other options are either my office (makes more sense in some ways, but probably knocks out that room as-a flex space bedroom option, as I’d wanted) or the master bedroom upstairs, which I would hate to do.

This house currently houses myself and a labrador retriever, plus my partner who is here mostly on weekends. At times there are visitors, guests, and family visiting, but for the most part it’s just myself and my dog. I do have plans to eventually turn the cottage into a short-term summertime rental, in which case it could house up to 6 people (turning the office into a third bedroom.)

I love to cook and bake. Ive all but given up baking, and preparing meals is challenging, because of the current lack of counter space. My partner also enjoys cooking, and it’s a challenge not to bump into one another and to find two separate defined prep areas! Also I’d love a nook or someplace to put the dog bowls so they are accessible but off the floor and not in the way. We also would love to be able to entertain. I envision the kitchen/dining area as the main gathering spot, with overflow into the adjacent small living room.

There also is a ”pass-through” window to a deck outside the dining space, where I plan to have an outdoor bar so entertaining outside will be easier to pull off in the warm seasons.

Also, there are only two entrances to the cottage, and they both open into opposite corners of the kitchen/dining space. There is no ”front door,” so the kitchen is the first space anyone sees when they come into the cottage.

I am open to expanding the opening of the doorway into the living room, and I assume I need to change heat and plumbing. I want to minimize structural changes as much as possible, but realistically it may be the only way to improve the space. I cant move doors or windows. I could, if need be, replace the one window that is too large to place a counter underneath.

Appliances:

- 31” counter-depth fridge with bottom freezer. Hinge on Right.

- 30” electric range (I’d love a decorative hood vent, but realistically might have to keep the microwave hood I have, due to space constraints. Id still want to vent to the outside.)

- Currently no dishwasher. Open to any kind of dishwasher that would make sense.

I am not sure how to post my layout, but I do have a preliminary floorplan I’ve worked on for about two years. I’m not sure the island I came up with is viable because of the decreased depth of the cabinets below it. I’m open to any suggestions and advice. I am a novice kitchen designer, and really feel that my space is a huge challenge compared to most kitchens I’ve encountered!!

Thank you!!

Comments (94)