SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_867777625

Help decorating recently renovated living/dining room?

Julie R.
last year
last modified: last year

Now that my full renovation is over, I need to furnish/decorate the last parts of my home. Oddly, it’s the living/dining combo that I’ve atrophied on due to general indecision fueled by supply chain concerns. Would appreciate thoughts, design-wise. Thanks!

All furniture depicted is 12-18yrs old and has generally been in this layout since I bought the house 12yrs ago. Open to some new furniture, but can’t afford everything all at once.

Current idea was to hang African-inspired art throughout this area (as I travel there periodically), but I’m open to other ideas. Historically, this has been a brown/blue room with light beige carpet/walls; the dark wood flooring, white walls and chandelier are new (hence not changing). Is the biggest kicker to get a lighter colored sofa?

Note: The room is a actually pretty light; photos were just taken late afternoon, which is worst time for daylight.

All art picked up from a consignment shop.

Definitely need new:

• window coverings
  • area rug(s)
  • living room lighting (the torch lamp isn’t staying)
  • Pot for fake plant towards front door (trying to help folks notice the step-down without falling))

Things of note:

• I’m fairly minimalist
  • Must accommodate cat tree of some sort (that’s the thing in the dining room)
  • Don’t like hanging tv’s; do like tv’s current location, as the openness of the stairs makes a relatively small space seem bigger

Here’s an MLS photo from a recent home that sold (same floor plan, different windows). Their dining table was comically narrow, but overall it felt like a bigger space and I liked the feeling- despite a little too much “stuff” for my taste. Is this basically the best layout to consider?

Comments (37)

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    last year

I think I'd rearrange the furniture so that the TV is on the wall with the single small window. Mount it on the wall with a small console underneath. Its current location is awkward and the TV doesn't fit there. Without a dimensioned floorplan, this is a tough call, but in general I like the way the other home did their staging. Your home looks larger from your photos, but maybe that's just the camera angle.

Julie R. thanked Sabrina Alfin Interiors
  • Lyn Nielson
    last year

if you're going with African Art, I'd choose a colorful Rug.

Find a large rug you LOVE and work off it.

Keep ONLY pieces you LOVE, and can't bare to part with.

Julie R. thanked Lyn Nielson
  • Related Discussions

Update on My Living Room/Dining Room Renovation

Q

Comments (107)
    Still searching for something to fall in love with to put over my living room sofa. Some ideas but nothing I'm ecstatic about. Dining room still needs wall art too. I decided against the PB mirror. Searching, searching. Please post ideas if you have them. Thank you!
    ...See More

Help me decorate Dining/Living Room please

Q

Comments (82)
    Soft Stream By Rikki Drotar Also under this listing They might agree to a larger size on canvas https://www.greatbigcanvas.com/view/swifting-through-motion,2399237/?s=D4zJ51pGVOmzcrFaoVNRJ4twq0ttSaG6RJBlhPL36WCmvFEjI1M2Xf1TipjCwk
    ...See More

Need help decorating living/ dining room wall

Q

Comments (37)
    OK, I have only rarely seen a 70" round table so that is good info that yours is 60" So that last drawing has the right size table. Once you get your furniture arrangement set up, then we can determine how to best deploy your art. I'm thinking of a "grouping" on the dining side of that long wall. Perhaps the biggest (crab?) and then stacking some on each side of it, or even adding to the grouping to make up a "gallery" look. We can figure that out later.
    ...See More

Help decorating long narrow open plan kitchen, dining and living room

Q

Comments (11)
    Do you have any budget for replacing some pieces? Are you allowed to paint? The room is so dark--one window, dark floor, dark cabinets, and way too much dark furniture. The gray is so gloomy with all that dark furniture. That room needs warm white walls that coordinate with the cabinets. I suggest the following: --Move your living room furniture towards the kitchen area with the upholstered chair facing the window and front door. --Get a small round dining table and put it at the window. Imagine this only minus the banquette. Putting your table there utilizes that space. Drop a clear pendant over the table to let maximun light show through. Ikea has very affordable white tulip tables. Get comfortable, padded dining chairs that can be pulled into the living room. Yep, it means walking from the kitchen a ways with dishes, but that space is wasted right now. A dining table in front of a window is very cozy. --Pull the rug under the sofa so there's a straight, pathway from front door all the way to the back. --Replace massive coffee table with nesting one, up on legs, light top, round shape. This idea: That's all you have room for.
    ...See More
  • kandrewspa
    last year

One of the things I don't like about the staged photo is their sofa. Unless you like a sectional with a chaise like that, a sofa with two chairs is more flexible seating. It depends on how much you entertain and how many people are usually using the room whether the chaise will be right for you. The rug in the staged room is too small. Your dining room table is definitely a better size, but the two sofas are overpowering the room. Since you already have some art in mind for the room, take some color cues from it and start by buying a new rug. The sofa color should be easier once you choose a rug.

Some people don't like having a rug in their dining room, but if you like having one there, get one that goes with the one in the living room, but is a little different. I usually get something busier and darker in the dining room. Because most of it is covered by the table the room can take more pattern and darker colors hide food stains better. :-) Your floors look great!

Julie R. thanked kandrewspa
  • everdebz
    last year

Not in vibe with Dining chandelier I think - can delete if you want me to.

Tuareg TRG-2315 Contemporary Tan/Cream 7'10"x10' Area Rug · More Info

Julie R. thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    last year

carving high-low loop pile adds texture to your floors. Subtle shading and gradation.

Imo, a large rug on higher entry's floor - can alert someone visually a little bit that there's a 'change in floor' -- with another large rug near to tv.

Nourison GRAPHIC ILLUSIONS 131 IVORY RUG · More Info

Surya CW-053 Mod Ruffle Pillow, 18"x18", Poly Fiber Filler · More Info

Graphic Illusions Rug, Gray, 5'3"x7'5" · More Info

• Julie R.
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks, all, for the input and recommendations so far. I plan to experiment with layout of exisitng furniture tomorrow.

I may have just complicated things, but I found some very unexpected art I truly love at the consignment shop today; it brings much needed ”life” to the space and makes me happy. I just need to reflect on how to have a vivid abstract piece (Kandinsky) in the same combo space with a fairly rustic/farmhouse chandelier.

@kandrewspa: I think you’re probably right about a single sofa with 1-2 chairs (depending on scale). I’ll chew on that further before Labor Day sales.

I’m now thinking about living room rugs. I worry an 8x10 rug may be too large for the space, honestly...? The combo space overall is ~12.5’x24.

New art:

Not at all drawn to scale, but here are the room dimensions and another view that shows the quirky angeled wall near the stairs (that accomodates some of my pantry).

Slanted wall by stairs:

• decoenthusiaste
    last year

Consider TV on the wall right of the single window with a credenza 25% wider than the TV. Float a new sofa facing the front window and used as a divider between living/dining areas and add two chairs with backs to the step down, facing TV. Good lighting will make a big difference. Wait about the rug until you have the seating in place as it should ground the seating area and be at least two feet wider than the sofa.

Julie R. thanked decoenthusiaste
  • everdebz
    last year

12 years isn't the longest living couch... ;)

Idea: This pillow comes in 2 other colors - could use one or more colors.

Danlia Pillow Cover 18x18x0.25 · More Info

Klimt Tree Of Life Pillow Cover Birds Teal Blue Toss Pillows Handmade Wool 18x18 · More Info

18" Solid Twill Square Throw Pillows, Aqua Blue · More Info

Klimt Accent Pillow Cover Orange Tree Of Life Hand Embroidered Wool 18x18" · More Info

Square Outdoor Patio Pillows, Cilantro · More Info

Liora Manne Marina Circles Indoor/Outdoor Pillow Azure 12"x18" · More Info

• Julie R.
    Original Author
    last year

Okay, I’m humoring an idea from @Sabrina Alfin Interiors and @decoenthusiaste. It’s been ~12yrs since I’ve expiermented with the tv in this new location, so I figured let’s try it before I write it off again as ”hate it”.

Right now:

• I still really don’t like the feel- but I’ll probably try to live with it a few days to see if it grows on me.
    • It feels like the existing pieces are even more cramped.
    • I’m staring at a wall rather than an open stairway expanse when watching tv- and I think this orientation is likely to be problematic with afternoon sun.
    • It feels like the great new art (the Kandinsky) no longer has a good place to be showcased in the room?
    • I do like the conversational nature of the layout, though.

@everdebz: I do like the blue/green circles pillow and the boho cotton piilow. Thanks!

• decoenthusiaste
    last year

Much better. I think the Kandinsky will look great in the entry and still can be seen from the living area.You might want to install a hinge stop on the front door just to be sure it doesn't swing open too far and hit the piece.

• everdebz
    last year

Colorful with 'distressed patina' look - help tie in you displaced art. Flower is my thought for you if you'll have a gallery wall.

Parkland Collection Maia Transitional Yellow Throw Pillow PILL21216P · More Info

Safavieh Crystal Collection CRS516 Rug, Light Blue/Orange, 8' X 10' · More Info

Ashley Brushed Faux Fur & Matching Sherpa Borrego Backing Throw, Silver Blue, 50" X 60" · More Info

• everdebz
    last year

Faded treatment makes a color mix like this less 'noticeable' -

18" Solid Twill Square Throw Pillows, Aqua Blue · More Info

Safavieh Mystique Collection MYS923 Rug, Grey/Multi, 8' X 10' · More Info

Liora Manne Marina Circles Indoor/Outdoor Pillow Delft 12"x18" · More Info

Liora Manne Marina Circles Indoor/Outdoor Pillow Azure 12"x18" · More Info

• everdebz
    last year

Is the chandelier black wood beads?

A color possibly you like -- would 'lift' half the room with tv now in it.

Nourison Karma Blue Area Rug, Rectangular 9'3"x12'9" · More Info

Square Outdoor Patio Pillows, Moroccan · More Info

• everdebz
    last year

I see your ocean art- this saturated edge could go under sofa if too bright! it's abstract which helps go with chandelier.

Crystal Chenille Knitted Throw Blanket, Primrose Yellow · More Info

Bashian Nicci Area Rug, Multi, 7'6"x9'6" · More Info

Pillow Perfect Indoor Blue Sky Blue/Gold/Gray 16.5-inch Throw Pillow · More Info

Parkland Collection Hiro Transitional Yellow Throw Pillow PILL21242P · More Info

• Julie R.
    Original Author
    last year

@everdebz: The chandelier is a weathered navy or dark slate blue wood bead with bronze.

I do like the blue ”fluid-like” rug and the blue/gold/gray pillow- although not necessarily together. I think for tonight I’m still stuck on layout (and admittedly after my renovation I’ve learned I’m slow to warm to change!), but your links have sent me down a wonderful Houzz rabbit hole… And, thanks, I’ve got 2 cats…that leave either gray or white fur on everything. 🤣

• everdebz
    last year

Possibly they'd work fine in the same room. Cats are loveable, but the claws are a problem.

• freedomplace1
    last year

From an Eastern Feng Shui perspective, with your new layout, the tv is now in the ”Command Position” in your LR area. Ideally, the main sofa should be on that wall, in the Command Position - not the tv. So, imo, you had the layout right before - except for the sofa with back to windows. If you can face that sofa to the windows, instead, with a sofa table behind that sofa, it would be better; but if not - at least you have one sofa anchored on the wall in the Command Position. Your instincts are good; you had that right the first time. And the reason that you don’t feel comfortable with the new sofa placement is that it is just not a comfortable placement.

Many people take the wall where the sofa should ideally be, and put a tv on it. I see it all the time.

Julie R. thanked freedomplace1
  • freedomplace1
    last year

This rug has grey & white; and aside from the cat shedding grey and white - which may blend in - I just like this color combination with your furniture and blue accents, etc. This rug is a shag.

I like your torchiere lamp, and I personally love torchiere style. Here, I just brought in one with black and gold detail to bring some contrast and depth to that corner area - and the black picks up on the black frame of your art. Now if only your cat can stay perched like that all the time! (btw, the torchiere would not be standing on top of your sofa irl. :)

• Julie R.
    Original Author
    last year

@freedomplace1: I had to Google the command place concept, but I think you hit the nail on the head as to my unease. Today I had company, though, and the conversational nature of having the opposing sofas was extremely nice; I’m going to keep chewing on it, then shift again this weekend (pulling a sofa off the window- to the cats dismay) and update with photos then.

What are you using on your phone to tinker with images that way? Very useful. ✌🏻

• freedomplace1
    last year

Hi Julie R.

Yes, knowing about Feng Shui Command Position concept is very helpful.

Ultimately, though - it is really all about feeling comfortable in your space; so whatever works best for you is the best choice.

You can try out rugs in your space using the visualizer tool that is available on sites such as RugsUSA.com, RugsDirect.com, CrateandBarrel.com - and there are others.

If you decide to move the sofa to face the windows - you could always get window seat(s) for the cats; or bring in a bench or two and create a general window seat arrangement there.

• everdebz
    last year

Can bring light and fill the corner:

Brightech Trilage Arc Floor Lamp w/Marble Base - 3 Lights Hanging Over the Couch · More Info

• everdebz
    last year

36 – 54” wide / 80” high / 3 brightness levels

Kira Home Akira 80" Arc Floor Lamp, 3-Way Switch, Beige Burlap Drum Shades · More Info

• everdebz
    last year

W 77" / H 78 - 102" maximum / white diffusers cast a uniform light. 3 different light settings.

Manhattan 2 Light Floor Lamp, Brushed Steel and White Marble · More Info

• Denise Marchand
    last year

Your floor plan works as the space is not that large and you mentioned you like a clean open space. Personally, I am not a fan of seeing a tv the minute entering a room, especially it's your main room.

Switching from separate sofas to a low clean line sectional will immediately make your space fluid. Consider narrow consoles behind the sofa both under the window and on the large wall.

Your art is very interesting to hang the largest over the sofa.

Consider turning the dining table to add additional space to the living area. Instead of scattering the other art, consider hanging one large piece over the sliders (line up with left side of slider) to take advantage of the architectural elements of the room. Group the smaller pieces on the wall to the right of the kitchen entry. Then buy more art!

As for the TV: Consider visually cleaning up that stair wall by designing a tv unit with a panel behind the tv. Stop the height of the panel below the wood handrail and as wide as the landing behind the tv unit. Here is a floor plan and inspiration pics.

Window treatments to follow. Look for printed linen fabric, like Pierre Frey, Will post suggestions later.

Simple narrow console

Printed linen curtains

Julie R. thanked Denise Marchand
  • everdebz
    last year

Liking your 2 rugs and versatile seating.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    last year

Without reading everything, I would wall mount that tv, on a swivel. and get a floating or more narrow console to kind of take that tv console out of the picture. I get were Everdebz was going with her layout But I agree with you on the open feel of the room as to the stagging photo. I think the first step is to get the rugs.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

IMO the seating is too big for the space and adding pillows will only add to the heaviness of the pieces So what can you do now to get smaller pieces ? Like can you lose one sofa and get two smaller chairs for now? Do you LOVE all the art ? If not take away the ones you do not love I never hang art I don't love . We only buy original art and usually we insist on meeting the artist . I often design rooms around apiece of art like the wall color for instance . IMO if you love the African art then no other print items in the space use solid color rug with lots of texture like a shag I do not love mixing a bunch of prints in a space IMO less is more .I do not like the TV in a area I use for conversation so is there another space you could put the TV ? Maybe put the TV on the wall where the loveseat is take away the loveset and add those two chairs across from the sofa a nice low cabinet closed storage for under the TV if it must stay , I lkke Besta from Ikea for TV and some storage even some display could be added . I think th Ksdinsky print is way too small for the wall you picture and I love thAfrican one that looks like textiles . Doing a really chhesive interior takes time and there is no rush fot you to do too much all at once . I find the most beautiful interiors ar eones out togethrr over time with only things you love then the space is truly you .

• Denise Marchand
    last year

Suggestion for window curtains within keeping with your African art:

https://www.stfrank.com/products/kuba-cloth-maze-fabric-by-the-yard-ecru

• Denise Marchand
    last year

With an abstract printed window treatment, keep the area rugs neutral.

With a simple linen solid color window treatment, consider a vibrant area rug.

• Denise Marchand
    last year

Keep your accessories simple and let the art and fabric set the African inspired theme inspiration.

https://www.crateandbarrel.com/junio-medium-round-dark-grey-planter-17.5/s475756

• Denise Marchand
    last year

Julie, obviously this is the room where your family gathers. With all due respect to other posters, eliminating seating and/or tv, might not be an option for you and your family.

Making an inviting and well designed space is about layering. Consider making your larger purchases first. Adding a well proportioned sectional will create the simple and functional seating necessary.

Lower the chandelier over the dining table. It's too good to be wasted so high up.

Take advantage of the unique architecture, especially at the sliders to hang are in an interesting composition.

• Julie R.
    Original Author
    last year

Hi folks,

First, thanks to everyone who commented upthread. I’ve read it all and appreciate the time/input. I’ve been quiet because I needed to chew on it- and do some shopping/reflecting/budgeting. Wanted to share a progress update. Open to additional input.

1. Haven’t found furniture I want to purchase, so I’ll work with this for now.
    2. Haven’t found big plush *washable* rug I love, so got simple $100 5x7’ rug at Target (needed a cozy play space with cats).
    3. My big TV + stand had a dramatic crash/accident and broke; using smaller TV from upstairs on coffee table until I figure out best replacement.

PENDING:

Dining room

• Photo gallery wall w/ 11x14 frames (my own photos from Africa). Either vertical up the narrow angled wall near TV, or to right of kitchen entrance. I think :)
    • Hang some African baskets to right of art
    • New table runner
    • Lower chandelier eventually. (Raised when installing due to pesky cat, but he’s no longer interested.)

Living room

• simple corner end table decor. (Vase was inherited. Good color, but seems random.)

General

• Adjust art height. I suck at that! Dining room used old nail hole for now.
    • Window coverings TBD.
    • Planters for 2 faux plants TBD.
    • Figure out if I want to use the red African sunset photo. Love it, but doesn’t seem to work.

EDIT:

This is another blue vase I have onhand. I could put something simple like a bit of Eucalyptus or something (faux because…cats…)

• Rebekah Gibbs
    last year

I really like your rug choice, it is simply too small for the space. Does it come in an 8x10? I would buy large enough to have the front of the seating sitting on the rug. The thing that looks most off to me are the couches. Since you are hanging on to them for now maybe some nice slip covers in a better color would work? Amazon has tons. Also, maybe a less heavy coffee table - something with glass?

Julie R. thanked Rebekah Gibbs
  • Rebekah Gibbs
    last year

Also when you are ready, definitely mount the tv and go for a simple low profile stand underneath it

Julie R. thanked Rebekah Gibbs
  • Julie R.
    Original Author
    last year

@Rebekah Gibbs: Yes, I realize it’s small. :) It’s a cheap experiment to see if my cats immediately start destroying a regular rug and force me into the more expensive washable arena..

They do have an 8x10 of the rug - in either charcoal (like this) or navy (out of stock) for 2x or 2.5x the price; they just weren’t physically at my local store and I needed something STAT. If this rug survives, it may transition to another part of the house where the size is more appropriate.

Thanks for other suggestions. Will keep chewing on them…

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County