SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_867777625

Help decorating recently renovated living/dining room?

Julie R.
last year
last modified: last year

Now that my full renovation is over, I need to furnish/decorate the last parts of my home. Oddly, it’s the living/dining combo that I’ve atrophied on due to general indecision fueled by supply chain concerns. Would appreciate thoughts, design-wise. Thanks!

All furniture depicted is 12-18yrs old and has generally been in this layout since I bought the house 12yrs ago. Open to some new furniture, but can’t afford everything all at once.

Current idea was to hang African-inspired art throughout this area (as I travel there periodically), but I’m open to other ideas. Historically, this has been a brown/blue room with light beige carpet/walls; the dark wood flooring, white walls and chandelier are new (hence not changing). Is the biggest kicker to get a lighter colored sofa?

Note: The room is a actually pretty light; photos were just taken late afternoon, which is worst time for daylight.

All art picked up from a consignment shop.

Definitely need new:

• window coverings
  • area rug(s)
  • living room lighting (the torch lamp isn’t staying)
  • Pot for fake plant towards front door (trying to help folks notice the step-down without falling))

Things of note:

• I’m fairly minimalist
  • Must accommodate cat tree of some sort (that’s the thing in the dining room)
  • Don’t like hanging tv’s; do like tv’s current location, as the openness of the stairs makes a relatively small space seem bigger

Here’s an MLS photo from a recent home that sold (same floor plan, different windows). Their dining table was comically narrow, but overall it felt like a bigger space and I liked the feeling- despite a little too much “stuff” for my taste. Is this basically the best layout to consider?

Comments (37)