SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

Tranquility in the Garden

jacqueline9CA
last year

Like most of us, as I was looking at my photos, I realized that most of them were of "perfect blooms", or "perfect blooming bushes", or long or huge beds full to overflowing of blooming bushes during the Spring flush. I noticed one which was none of those things, and made me feel relaxed and tranquil. So, I searched for a few more which did that, and here they are. Just a reminder that the garden is a good place to see these sort of things, whether "designed" or not. I would love to see your photos of tranquil corners of your gardens - please post some! In our anxious, crazy world right now, I think we could all appreciate those images!

Jackie

Comments (48)

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    last year

These are great, Jackie.

• Related Discussions

Today I saw the most gorgeous garden!

Q

Comments (9)
    Gorgeous. The last two pictures, may I ask a question? The yellow flowers, it is an orchid, yes ? What kind ? I saw one just like it at a local orchid show and it was stunning. What are those gorgeous pink fluffy flowers. I LOVE them, so joyous and exuberant to look at. Great pictures, thank you so much.
    ...See More

Garden is Starting to Catch Up

Q

Comments (10)
    Thanks to all for your comments. Gesila, Magic Fire is planted in morning sun in hopes the number of divisions gets a bump. Of course this year sun, only applies to the last week, as everything else has been rain and/or overcast. Galaxy was new in 2011 and seems to be taking hold very well. Had to twist out one green division this year, but rest is doing well. It was divided off of an established clump. Paula, the tree is an oak - have a couple different types in that garden. WW, I enjoy finding plants and whimsy pieces to complement the hostas. Also like to plant and plan around rocks. Paul
    ...See More

2012 American Hosta Society Pics - Cornelia Holland Garden

Q

Comments (9)
    Thank you for your comments. In these gardens I have seen many more ways I can use hosta, ornaments, containers and companion planting. The gardens were inspiring. Because of heat and the lack of topsoil, you will see some commonalities. For example, the type of hosta, the use of containers and raised beds and the somewhat smaller mature size. Beverly
    ...See More

Japanese Tea Gardens in Brackenridge Park, San Antonio

Q

Comments (21)
    I will add the Jingu family had a tea and snack room in the structure where the restaurant is now located. This is in part how they made a living. I have always been confused about San Antonio Sunken Gardens being originally, and now again being called Japanese Garden. From all I know the style is strongly Chinese and in no way Japanese. The Jingu family was supposedly from Japan, but the style is Chinese. The Japanese Garden In Golden Gate Park, San Francisco is one of my favorites. The Japanese family that created that garden was also evicted in WWII. They had a large house/structure in the garden and owned some of the more valuable plants. They rented the house for events. When evicted they took apart the house ( built without nails Japanese style) and moved it to a lot they owned and sold the plants. Some justice was served. A wealthy patron bought the plants and moved them to her estate, but gifted them back to the gardens in her will.
    ...See More
  • Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
    last year
    last modified: last year

I certainly understand, though have no photos to demonstrate the concept in my garden. We're largely flowerless at the moment, but flowers aren't the basis of beauty in the garden. It's the interaction of order and freedom, volumes and space, and green life, that create beauty. We're in our second day of rain, and I think the drought is over.

• fig_insanity Z7b E TN
    last year

I hesitated to post these photos again, since I recently posted them on another thread. I think everyone has seen them. But they do convey a little sense of what I feel in my space. In my garden, serenity is the goal I set for myself and for the garden. There is so much chaos and discord in the world today that I look to my garden for refuge. I've found that merely setting the goal and working toward it, whether it's grubbing in the soil or pruning a plant, it helps to smooth out the rough patches in the day. My garden is far from a Zen masterpiece, but it suffices (most days) for me.

The stone bench is one slab, the supports are two more slabs sunken vertically. This is from a few years ago. The Bloodgood maple now reaches the eaves of the house.

• fig_insanity Z7b E TN
    last year

This is the edge of my woodland, about two acres are behind the bed you can see on the left, all of it in wildflowers and shade tolerant shrubs. Unfortunately I don't have recent photos of that most peaceful area of the garden.

• fig_insanity Z7b E TN
    last year

This is the same area from another angle.

• fig_insanity Z7b E TN
    last year

The front beds

EDIT: I told you the red BLoodgood maple now reaches the eaves. This is it. The stone bench is hidden behind the beds, under the huge holly.

• fig_insanity Z7b E TN
    last year

Last one, unless there are requests, lol. This is the Spring Glade, my favorite part of the garden in March/April.

• portlandmysteryrose
    last year

This is a wonderfully refreshing thread, Jackie! Just what we need. I especially love your birdbath areas and shady archway paths. The “gazing pool” birdbath in the first photo is pure serenity!

John, your whole garden is like a breath of fresh air, and your Spring Glade is exactly what I imagine when I travel to my happy place!

Carol

My garden

Tryon Creek State Park

George Rogers Park

• jacqueline9CA
    Original Author
    last year

Melissa - rain! That is so fabulous. We have been getting overcast and fog in SF Bay every day, which has saved our temperatures from getting too high, but no rain yet. Maybe if we are lucky three will be some by Oct. Congratulations on yours!

fig_insanity and portlandmysteryrose - thank you! Exactly what I am talking about, except of course in your gardens you planned these places on purpose. They are so tranquil and lovely - made my morning.

porches - I think I am going to start a new thread about porches - I love them!

Jackie

• Meg-zone8aOR
    last year

Your porch looks so lovely and inviting, Carol, picture-perfect! Everyone's gardens are so beautiful, I have so much work to do to create anything like these pictures but you wonderful people are such an inspiration, thank you.

last year

Beautiful pictures, everybody: thanks. It's very evident that those who posted photos love their gardens. Jackie, I hope you get some rain. Ours has been hugely welcome after a year and counting of low precipitation. It's forecast to get hot again, not welcome but unsurprising in August, but that just means the garden will get warmth and water, which means--ROSES!!!

• judijunebugarizonazn8
    last year

Thank you, everyone who posted all those soothing photos of gardens. I woke up tired this morning, not feeling like starting the day. And then I saw this thread and took the time to absorb the peaceful vibes of each garden as well as take a walk through my own garden spaces. We are still in our monsoon season here and the morning was gray and misty with a sweetness in the air that made anything lovely seem possible. By the time my children woke up, I felt refreshed and energized. Thank you again, Jackie! I am not going to include any of my garden photos myself as my garden is young and mostly under construction, therefore lacking the ability to provide much tranquility at present. I hope that with all the inspiration you gardeners provide and with a lot more hard work and planning, my garden will some day have the charm of years that your gardens possess.

• jacqueline9CA
    Original Author
    last year

John - of course we would all love to see more pictures of your beautiful garden. Meanwhile, here are some more unplanned tranquil pics I found:

Cheating - this is a pic of the creek which runs behind our cabin up in the mountains:

Shady sidewalk in front of our house:

Looking out the window down into the garden:

Another ground level bird bath:

Early Spring bluebells and another bird bath:

Jackie

• jacqueline9CA
    Original Author
    last year

Hmmm.. The looking out the window one did not post - trying again, and adding another one taken out of the same window -

Jackie

• portlandmysteryrose
    last year

Jackie, the fawn photos are very therapeutic, especially Floppy Ears! We have a nuthatch family that visits our birdbath. I’ll try to get a picture. Carol

• portlandmysteryrose
    last year

Thank you, @Meg-zone8aOR. I’d love to see photos of your garden! We seem to be gardening in the same area. Carol

• Meg-zone8aOR
    last year

I just moved here (about an hour east of Eugene) at the beginning of this year so there isn't much to show. I am new to growing roses (I didn't have the space for them before) and planted several this year but they're all still tiny right now. I am hoping that they all make it through the winter and I'll have some better pictures to share next spring.

• Meg-zone8aOR
    last year

First blooms on Eden (grafted)

• Meg-zone8aOR
    last year

This is the backyard this spring when things were greener

• Meg-zone8aOR
    last year

First blooms on Sidonie

• jacqueline9CA
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you, Meg. I find that picture of the huge lawn with the wild hill behind it particularly tranquil. Love the bird house.

Jackie

• fig_insanity Z7b E TN
    last year

OK, Jackie, you asked for it, lol. Here ya go:

I found an older photo, taken out my front door just at moonrise. If this isn't tranquil, I don't know what is.

• fig_insanity Z7b E TN
    last year

Here's the same view, zoomed in a bit, in daylight. I've taken probably 1000 photos of my neighbor's barn. If he knew, he'd be charging me royalties, lol.

This isn't quite as close as the photo makes it seem. The barn is probably a half mile from my front door.

• fig_insanity Z7b E TN
    last year

I'll apologize now for all the posts with single photos. I can't get How-uzzlezz to let me upload more than one at a time. It's been that way for months.

Here's one of an open area in the woodland. It's only this pretty for about four weeks, and then I just go there long enough to mow and weed, lol. But when it's at its best, it's very tranquil. There's another stone bench just out of sight to the right.

• fig_insanity Z7b E TN
    last year

This is my lower pasture. For anyone who's forgotten, I live on a farm ;) I think the fresh Spring grass is very restful to the eye. I don't know how none of my cows made it into the photo. Camera shy?

• fig_insanity Z7b E TN
    last year

Most of you have seen this one, but it's one of my favorites. Again, it's the edge of the woodland, which is on the left; my patio is to the right.

• fig_insanity Z7b E TN
    last year

Obviously, the front door. The path from the driveway to the front door is a long curve around the semi-circular beds. I've tried to make it a calming nature walk...though it's just about 40' long.

• fig_insanity Z7b E TN
    last year

Jackie, I love the pic of the creek. Nothing is more tranquil than flowing water. Restful, peaceful, restorative, calming. Regardless of our gardening abilities, philosophies, and styles, I think Mother Nature still does it best.

• jacqueline9CA
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you, John! I think my favorites of your most recent pics are the daylight one with the barn, and your lower pasture. To me, they both make me want to walk in to them.

I totally agree with you that Mother Nature makes the best gardens - here is another one of the same creek, taken from the back deck, in Spring rather than Fall:

Jackie

• fig_insanity Z7b E TN
    last year

I love it, Jackie. A bit wilder, a little more rambunctious, but something about it still makes me smile. I can almost hear it, swooshing and frolicking over the rocks.

• jacqueline9CA
    Original Author
    last year

THIS is a NOT TRANQUIL DIGRESSION - forgive me. "Hers is the rest of the story..." Unfortunately, along 5 miles of the two lane road which runs alongside of this creek, last Sept there was a horrible firestorm, and 30 residences burned to ashes in one night. Luckily 95% of those were vacation homes/cabins, and the few people who were still up there got out OK. The forest burned, and by morning only bare dirt and standing black tree trunks were left - total moonscape. I will spare you the photos.

The good news is that of course the creek is still there, the hills and mountains are still there, and when we went back up last time a couple of months ago (after the govt. had logged our 3 1/2 acre property for free, and removed all of the fire debris, like our melted huge generator and the 18 inch high pile of ashes and crumpled metal roof which was all that was left of our cabin), new life was sprouting everywhere. Every tree stump was sprouting, except of course the pines, but I did see some pine seedlings (the cones open during fires). There were wildflowers up and blooming everywhere, too, and there were even hillsides covered in wild lupine. I went to look for a wild rose which had been growing at the side of the road ("before" pic below), and low and behold, it had re-sprouted from its roots, and was setting buds! Mother Nature will prevail, as always.

Jackie

• fig_insanity Z7b E TN
    last year

Jackie, I remember when you lost the cabin to the fire. I know it was heartbreaking, but I was just glad you weren't up there at the time. You guys out west have had it rough. I've been hearing about the aftermath of the devastating New Mexico fire (the one caused by out-of-control "controlled burns" the gov't set to PREVENT big fires). They're now having flooding from the monsoon season, and contamination of water supplies. Las Vegas, NM (not Nevada!) has only a 30 day supply of water left, because their main source of water, the local river, is a sludge of ash and mud. I hope your retreat manages more re-growth of ground cover before the winter rains begin.

• jacqueline9CA
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you. Yes, the National Forest fire folks did set off this overnight firestorm by setting a backfire on a VERY windy evening ( wind was blowing in the opposite direction from the direction they wanted the backfire to go, evidently against ALL of their own protocols). They had been fighting a slow moving, huge, dry lightening started fire for 3 months, but this action created a disaster. The local volunteer fire departments came out and fought it, and saved half of the historic gold rush town. I read about them burning up vast swaths of NM, and was not surprised - hopefully they will be more careful, or someone will be looking more carefully at what they get up to now.

I did not want to get off the theme of tranquil photos, so here is one of our great nephew "fishing" in the creek behind our cabin in the Spring of 2021:

• fig_insanity Z7b E TN
    last year

That's adorable, Jackie, and just the ideal of "tranquil".

• Meg-zone8aOR
    last year

Jackie,

Your window framed with roses is so enchanting! What rose did you plant there? It's beautiful!

last year

It would be a lot more tranquil here if the mosquito population were less. I'm looking forward to the end of dog days.

• jacqueline9CA
    Original Author
    last year

Meg - Our bedroom is on the second story of our house. The rose which my DH trained around our window is a very large Cl Cecile Bruner. Here is what it looked like from the outside:

Melissa - you have to be careful what you wish for! Lots of rain brings mosquitoes; at least it does here - I don't like them at all, but prefer them to no rain.

Jackie

last year

Jackie, I agree. I know rain brings mosquitos, and rain and mosquitos is better than no rain and no mosquitos. But I feel that it's my human right to whine about the bugs. P.S. We have rain forecast for the weekend, though quantities are diminishing. I hope bart's storm brought water with it.

• Meg-zone8aOR
    last year

This is so beautiful and romantic, Jackie!

• jacqueline9CA
    Original Author
    last year

Hmmm... Those weird adds from Houzz are back - they claim to be "related" to the thread, but most of them I have seen (they show up directly below the last post) are not related at all. In one thread, the OP was talking about smooth roses, and bunches of adds showed up for "a smooth running home" - they don't even have very good computer programming!

Jackie

• jacqueline9CA
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks, Meg - that was my original idea. We did enjoy those roses around our window for 20+ years but recently the Fire Dept in our town asked us to take them down - they call them "fire ladders". I did understand - our house is wood shingled, and 117 years old, so we did take down this rose. Cl Cecile Brunner will certainly grow in Oregon, so you could try this yourself if it does not cause fire danger.

Jackie

• fig_insanity Z7b E TN
    7 months ago

I wanted to bump this up for anyone needing a little tranquility right now, like me. If anyone has more photos to post, I'm sure Jackie wouldn't mind. We all need to step back now and then, and realize there is still peace and quiet to be found in this madcap world.

• ingrid_vc zone 10 San Diego County
    7 months ago
    last modified: 7 months ago

There are two crape myrtles which are blooming for the second time in my front yard, and they have never bloomed in September before, which have given me a very lovely feeling over the last week or two. I can't take their photograph since it's 1:27 a.m. but I'll do so in the morning.

Edited: These pictures are hit or miss as on this cloudy day there is so much glare that I couldn't see anything in the view finder.

• jacqueline9CA
    Original Author
    7 months ago

fig_insanity - Thank you for revving this thread. I had forgotten about it - I re-read the entire thing, spending most time of course on the pics. It was very calming and made me happy. I would love it if anyone would add to the photos. I have one - it is looking up at the inside of a giant Scarlet Oak tree in my back yard. We used to have another one, in the front yard (it got a fungus infection and we had to take it out). I used to lay on the grass beneath it and stare up into the 80 ft tall inside of it - almost hypnotic. Anyway, here is an inside photo of its sibling, not taken from directly underneath it, as its trunk is 1 ft away from our back fence. Looking forward to seeing more photos from others! Ingrid?

• fig_insanity Z7b E TN
    7 months ago

@ingrid_vc zone 10 San Diego County Ingrid, didn't you get some of that out of season rain? I'm betting that's what spurred the crepe myrtles to bloom again. Here, they're just winding down after blooming since July. This year was perfect weather for them, up until the last couple of weeks. We had high temps and lots of rain, which they loved. They thought they were home in monsoon India, lol.

I agree that your cm are restful to the eye. As Yoda would say, "Tranquil they are. Peaceful are they".

• ingrid_vc zone 10 San Diego County
    7 months ago

Fig, now that you mention it, it must have been the unseasonable rain that surprised the crapes into another bloom cycle. It was a delightful surprise, especially since the ground squirrels ate most of the first crop of blooms. Since I stopped feeding the squirrels they seem to have decreased in number and they haven't touched this crop of flowers. This has been a hard lesson to learn but one that was needed.

• jacqueline9CA
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Ingrid - I also think your cms are gorgeous! Our city has been putting them in on our street as street trees in some places - I love them!

Jackie

P.S. Here is another pic, of some maple trees (wild in the forest) next to our cabin - I took the pic out a window.

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County